Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunder
May 22, 2003

Maybe this means less Angry Russian Pudge in my games? I can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
nah, in a week we'll find out that it was really just angry NA nerds ironically pretending to spam russian/spanish

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Oh good I'll be stuck with more Quebecios

bonjour

jk i dont play dota unless you queue bot games

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is bringing the Dota thread back a viable idea now that the ringleader of shitposters is permanbanned?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
sd luna breaks lunar blessing pretty cool stuff

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Peru managed to 2-0 one of these Chinese teams last night. They may actually make some money today! And then it's likely that Alliance will crush their dreams and take the million dollars. Oh well.

I just watched the Skywrath on Turkey die unnecessarily to a Weaver leech because they spent about 9 seconds trying to kill it with right clicks and tower fire instead of just asking a teammate to get it off.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is bringing the Dota thread back a viable idea now that the ringleader of shitposters is permanbanned?

It might be nice to have a thread dedicated to game mechanics and general game discussion, separate from the esports stuff which many people don't know/care about.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Game 2: Turkey loses a rax in less than 15 minutes. :stare:

Edit: 16 minute GG

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i like that the secret dota general is so secret people in this thread have failed to find it

hiding in plain sight

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think the secret to playing this game might be to pre-emptively mute everyone in the game at the start of every match. I have had people scream at me in every single game for not being pro enough, the last match some guy actually wished death on my family members. It really is pretty off-putting. I'm considering just quitting completely. Also, I have no idea why every match i'm in is a one-way slaughter with a member of one team abandoning at about the 5 minute mark without exception. I've played about 6 games since coming back, and each of them has everyone pick the hardest carry they can possibly pick, followed by spewing death threats at anyone that doesn't tower dive with them. I want to enjoy dota, but I don't see how I possibly can with this poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gunder posted:

I think the secret to playing this game might be to pre-emptively mute everyone in the game at the start of every match. I have had people scream at me in every single game for not being pro enough, the last match some guy actually wished death on my family members. It really is pretty off-putting. I'm considering just quitting completely. Also, I have no idea why every match i'm in is a one-way slaughter with a member of one team abandoning at about the 5 minute mark without exception. I've played about 6 games since coming back, and each of them has everyone pick the hardest carry they can possibly pick, followed by spewing death threats at anyone that doesn't tower dive with them. I want to enjoy dota, but I don't see how I possibly can with this poo poo.

Ultimately there's 4 choices.
1. Embrace the hate
2. Stack up
3. Play against bots
4. Spout racial slurs until you're in low prio.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

also chill out a little

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

And then it's likely that Alliance will crush their dreams and take the million dollars. Oh well.

I thought this was a random shitter tournament. First price is $800,000 :stare:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Now people will realize that north americans/west europeans can be just as cancerous as everyone else

TheRat posted:

Yeah, this would be Alliance's biggest tournament win after TI3. Kinda funny.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Casual 40k gold lead

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheRat posted:

All the more likely that nobody's going to actually get paid.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 14, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Not really, alisports is a pretty legitimate organization.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

just craptacular posting xd

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Peru dream ends with $60,000; and so close to third place. Oh well.

Ambivalent posted:

just craptacular posting xd

Just China tournaments. I thought DAC 2015 was going to be reputable but EG supposedly was still waiting a year and a half later.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
lmao loving loda

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I watched some of this last night and one of the Chinese teams had one of the worst Tinkers I've ever seen at a pro level. I know playing against Clock is hard as Tinker but the guy died standing in lane like three times to hookshot in like 4 minutes. Basically whenever it was off CD.

Ambivalent posted:

also chill out a little

Yeah if you don't reply to the angry raging people they almost always mellow out as soon as you win a teamfight. Most people freaking out in team chat are still playing to win, unless they get goaded into throwing because they hate you personally for something you typed.

Also don't play non-ranked because people don't take it seriously and pick whatever and leave whenever.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also don't play non-ranked because people don't take it seriously and pick whatever and leave whenever.

At the moment this is my hope. I probably only need a handful more matches to hit 20 (most of my games back when I used to play regularly were years before the current level based system, so i'm still only level 18 despite my many hours logged).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Unranked is mostly new people, people loving around, or people too tilted from losing ranked points.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Unranked is mostly new people, people loving around, or people too tilted from losing ranked points.

Also, very serious single draft and all random players.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I rarely play but when I do I play unranked and I'm pure hontrash at heart and I fit in pretttyyyy well in unranked games.

Big money chinese tournaments are extremely funny to me because I spent 4 months in china so I'm an expert on the place. I'm imagining EG being like "could we get paid please" and DAC is just like "oh yeah don't worry about it" then the DAC person coughs up like a huge loogie, and this back and forth happens daily for like 18 months straight over and over, it's very china

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've noticed that people always seem to meltdown in all random, which is weird cause i always assumed it was supposed to be the wacky funtimes mode.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

And most of the time it's loving 4 stacks. Which means you're probably going to lose if they dont pick 4 teamfight heroes. Because 4 stacks communicate with the solo pub maybe 3% of the time in this team based game.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Fuligin posted:

I've noticed that people always seem to meltdown in all random, which is weird cause i always assumed it was supposed to be the wacky funtimes mode.

Yah some people have the mentality that you should be successful on every hero before randoming or playing all random, or that the game is over if your randoms aren't fotm. Least played is slightly different in that regard, but the player pool in both of these modes is so small you can't expect reasonable mmr matchups and some people feel most comfortable raging about other people's positioning and builds while they're losing. I miss old RD when it was SD+, but it had its own problems.

Your first mistake was thinking there was a casual fun mode of dota that included unfamiliar humans.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 14, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I thought ARDM and Ability draft were the fun modes?

I know AR is decided by who has more carries and Single and Random drafts are a crapshoot because no one understands team composition.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Fuligin posted:

I think people just get triggered when they get a hero they have no clue how to play and start raging at everything.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kainser posted:

I think people just get triggered when they get a hero they have no clue how to play and start raging at everything.

I miss playing with my brother because he can play meepo and i always re-random him when i get him.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yesterday's patch saved NA pubs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TOOT BOOT posted:

yeah queues take three times as long and the quality of games is still absolutely terrible

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Congrats TNC for winning $800,000 in a grand final BO3 :lol:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah queues take three times as long and the quality of games is still absolutely terrible

That hasn't been my experience. Queues take a little longer but almost everyone speaks english, games are chill, and I win almost all my games. Which definitely isn't how it was before.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 15, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
TNC owns and I am glad they won. Suck it alliance

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Craptacular! posted:

Congrats TNC for winning $800,000 in a grand final BO3 :lol:

When you're up against Clown 9 in a final you've already won.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

TOOT BOOT posted:

no it didn't

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I don't know why that's the case. Random is for loving around with Meepo or whatever, why do people take that game seriously at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anyone have any good recommendations on YouTube channels focused on dota tutorials and general "learn to play better" type content?

• Locked thread