Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

There were literally a dozen of them at my local Walmart, because Canadians don't want to pay CAD $450 for a USD $299 tablet.

We still haven't adapted to our dollar not being roughly equal again, even though it started falling in 2013.

They've been nearly impossible in the states since launch. You'll see small flare ups of inventory here and there that's quickly scooped up.

Same with Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

dumbasses are gonna buy and and enjoy themselves and think it's good, but I know better.

lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Well seems about right, Pikmin 4 has been said to be pretty close to ready for awhile, and Animal Crossing has been in need of a proper release for awhile. Didn't imagine Metroid would get announced this year, may the meme continue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pikmin game they're talking about is that 3DS spinoff

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll be surprised if we get an Animal Crossing announcement already. New Leaf just got a huge update.

I dunno, my personal conspiracy theory is that they had Animal Corssing U basically ready to go, but they decided to delay it and release it on the Switch. The New Leaf update was them just making some money for the Animal Crossing department and having an excuse to release the Amiibos originally planned to launch alongside the new game

Mister Facetious posted:

There were literally a dozen of them at my local Walmart, because Canadians don't want to pay CAD $450 for a USD $299 tablet.

We still haven't adapted to our dollar not being roughly equal again, even though it started falling in 2013.

Oh no, they've lost the Canadian market? :ohdear:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I skipped the Wii and WiiU but landed a Switch for the Household. Can someone hit me with a quick briefing on what amiibos are/do?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I dunno, my personal conspiracy theory is that they had Animal Corssing U basically ready to go, but they decided to delay it and release it on the Switch. The New Leaf update was them just making some money for the Animal Crossing department and having an excuse to release the Amiibos originally planned to launch alongside the new game

This is a shockingly reasonable theory.

Please revise and include more drama, a lawsuit, a sex scandal, and more of Nintendo loving everyone over somehow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

^burtle posted:

I skipped the Wii and WiiU but landed a Switch for the Household. Can someone hit me with a quick briefing on what amiibos are/do?

They are awesome toys that look cool on your shelf.

Sometimes they unlock things, usually cosmetic things like driving suits in Mario Kart, in games.
Certain ones can give you rare items in Zelda and all will give you random ingredients, for example.

You can also use them to do odd things like transfer a Mii between systems.

Buy only buy them if you want a cool toy on your shelf.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pikmin game they're talking about is that 3DS spinoff

Oh no, they've lost the Canadian market? :ohdear:

We don't have to pay for medical insurance, so we have a higher per capita "gamer" market. But eating another $150 is a tough pill to swallow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

We don't have to pay for medical insurance, so we have a higher per capita "gamer" market. But eating another $150 is a tough pill to swallow.

I'd gladly make the trade, personally, but I can see why it's obnoxious.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kirios posted:

The people who were calling the Switch the new Wii U and deciding to just wait for a sale are kind of dumb.

Good luck finding one in 2017. If Nintendo is smart they'll redirect all game development to the Switch. It's clear they have a hit on their hands.

Every so often I remember people coming into the Switch prerelease thread and telling people who preordered that we were idiots because the Switch isn't gonna sell and you're gonna be able to walk into literally any store and just get one at any time.

I didn't regret my preorder then and I certainly don't now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It wasn't so bad if you had something to trade. GameStop and a bunch of other retailers offered to chop off that $150 if you traded in a PS4/Xbone/Wii U/New 3DS XL.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I like to gloat how I picked up my Switch at Walmart on a whim a few weeks ago every 50 or so pages of this thread

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lakbay posted:

I like to gloat how I picked up my Switch at Walmart on a whim a few weeks ago every 50 or so pages of this thread

Same except Target

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm shocked best buy managed to get my pre order correct and on time.

Meanwhile as I recall Amazon hosed everyone up, and then again on MK8. hmmmm

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

iajanus posted:

Ok finally stopped playing Zelda to put the horizon zero dawn disc in after two months since buying it

Took thirty minutes to do the updates

Then started playing

u chose to do this, u can play w/o patching or while they download.

quote:

gently caress I miss Zelda and games that treat me like an adult rather than the guy cueing up the next story cutscene.

zelda is literally a childrens franchise

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm tempted to update my console so I can solely upload pictures again

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

grand theft grotto posted:

Every so often I remember people coming into the Switch prerelease thread and telling people who preordered that we were idiots because the Switch isn't gonna sell and you're gonna be able to walk into literally any store and just get one at any time.

I didn't regret my preorder then and I certainly don't now.

this never happened

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I'm shocked best buy managed to get my pre order correct and on time.

Meanwhile as I recall Amazon hosed everyone up, and then again on MK8. hmmmm

Best Buy has been Good and Amazon has been Bad for the last few product launches I've been paying attention to (Switch, Gear VR, Oculus Rift)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got mine on launch from Amazon and had it comfortably delivered to me with no hassle.

It's funny that I can tell how popular it is based on what Amazon recommends to me, which is literally anything and everything now since I bought a Switch.

Buy this fruit juicer (recommended to you because you bought a Switch)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stux posted:

zelda is literally a childrens franchise

and those children are now all grown up

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dizz posted:

I'm tempted to update my console so I can solely upload pictures again

Do it. Worthwhile hacks are probably a few years out anyways.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Stux posted:

u chose to do this, u can play w/o patching or while they download.

Not patching a game before playing it in AD 2017? Dumb move.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dentist toy box posted:

Not patching a game before playing it in AD 2017? Dumb move.

nah

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kirios posted:

The people who were calling the Switch the new Wii U and deciding to just wait for a sale are kind of dumb.

Good luck finding one in 2017. If Nintendo is smart they'll redirect all game development to the Switch. It's clear they have a hit on their hands.
The red-and-blue maybe but the black ones are in stock everywhere I've checked.

edit: oh poo poo new page sorry. I'm in the UK also, maybe we're less enthused for it. :v:

Personally I'm holding off for two reasons: I have a lot of excellent games to play, and if possible (and if it reviews as well as the first did) I'm gonna pick up a Splatoon 2 bundle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you don't patch your game a Russian botnet will take control of Aloy and make her post opinions favoring Donald Trump on Reddit.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Same except Target

Walked into a target yesterday afternoon. They had three. Two colored ones, one grey. I'm buying one, but not till June. :( (I have the funds, but promised myself to publish two more books before I can reward myself)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are the neon Switches worth more second hand? I've never seen one out in the wild.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I got mine a day early. :smug:

Checkmate, nerds.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do it. Worthwhile hacks are probably a few years out anyways.

Oh I just don't see the need to update really.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are the neon Switches worth more second hand? I've never seen one out in the wild.

They seem to go for the same price as grey from what I've seen over the last few weeks of looking for Switches on eBay.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

In D5, If I miss specific endings will I need to re-do the game's story to get them?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Frankston posted:

They seem to go for the same price as grey from what I've seen over the last few weeks of looking for Switches on eBay.

What's the average price on eBay right now?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Preordered my Neon Switch and got it on launch day. I felt like a kid again.

Good job, N.

gently caress the haters that said we'd regret it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

HyperPuma posted:

this never happened

I could swear it did but I'm also not going to go look through hundreds of pages of an old thread, so I accept that.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Oh is this a good time to brag about picking up a lightly used Switch with all accessories and packaging as well as the BotW cart for $320 from a couple who bought it at launch just to play BotW?

And they delivered it to me, I win :c00lbert:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not sure if you're in the UK but they tend to go around the price of a new one, give or take £10. (not including postage which is usually £10-£15 on top).

I got a grey switch + BotW + a pro controller for £330 last night. Only used a handful of times and like new, or so the description said.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SeANMcBAY posted:

Around 350-400 bucks USD it looks like. You have a handful closer to stock and a few suspiciously low ones but mostly they are scalped hard.

I have bid on a few ones close to stock because I lack scruples and want to reenforces scalping, but all it has done is ruin some poor bastard's day by jacking up their bid.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 25, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's seriously blowing my mind the Switch has been out for months now and there's still no virtual console.
Like it's leaving money on the table. They need to release every VC game on the 3DS and Wii U and I guarantee you I'll rebuy them

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

HyperPuma posted:

this never happened

It happened a lot. Now we get random people saying they don't want a switch or certain games because of the price or currency exchanges. Bitches bitch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It didn't happen no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It didn't happen no.

It happened all the time until Nintendos earnings report and then all the losers dipped. Same thing happened when people found out the Apple Watch earned more by itself than Tesla did as a company. Couple of losers still here though.

• Locked thread