Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Superstring posted:

Wish they somehow worked pompadours onto the Akasodara.

Pachydours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I would desperately like to see their statistics on what % of players pick each option the first time through.

Ya that was my first reaction haha

I wasn't expecting much out of it but this omega questline is now probably one of my favorite questlines in the game, and I'm glad they spent a bit of time interrogating the morality of what all the ancients did. I still would like to get a bit more info on what went down with the Council Of Venat or whateva. It's really apparent how much they've updated their cutscene game in terms of music and camera work and shot composition too, even for these "smaller" sidequests.

Also did anyone else just assume that The Watcher was a copy of Hyth originally? I guess I just pulled that out of my rear end. Curious if we find out more about who they were eventually.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sounds like I'm going to have to try to get some people to unsync Omega this weekend with me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You could just queue into it normally. They're mostly good fights.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ImpAtom posted:

They are literally just a Japanese biker gang.

Maybe we'll go full Akira by the end.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Chomposaur posted:

Also did anyone else just assume that The Watcher was a copy of Hyth originally? I guess I just pulled that out of my rear end. Curious if we find out more about who they were eventually.

Nah, we knew that Hyth sacrificed himself for Zodiark. He wouldn't have been around to calm the other Ancient spirits when we were trying to stop Zenos/Fandaniel on the moon otherwise. Then, during the cutscene at the end of Elpis we see him say goodbye to Emet-Selch when they go about summoning Zodiark for the first time.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Cleretic posted:

I mean, they have looped into 'this should have been MSQ' and some have decided that the Watcher's talk is proof that Venat really did lie to all of her followers (which for some reason is an important point to them despite the fact that they also disagree with what those followers were saying), but mostly they're happier about this than they have been about basically all of Endwalker.

What? In what weird universe is the Watcher's talk during that quest proof of Venat lying?

Frankly, premising one's entire assessment of a character on "but of course they are lying" doesn't seem like very solid analysis of a work. There's "believed one thing but was mistaken" and there's "worded things deceptively" (which Hydaelin did because a retcon was needed) and there's good old Emet-Selch claiming he's telling the truth but kind of being dishonest and huffy about some of his feelings on the matter.... but past a certain point claiming that Venat was lying requires enough stretching to open a yoga studio.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They just sound like they're from Jersey in my head

This makes way more sense, but I can't help but think of them as southern/Appalachian bootleggers.

If we don't get hippo racing from this, I'll be disappointed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FeatherFloat posted:

What? In what weird universe is the Watcher's talk during that quest proof of Venat lying?

Frankly, premising one's entire assessment of a character on "but of course they are lying" doesn't seem like very solid analysis of a work. There's "believed one thing but was mistaken" and there's "worded things deceptively" (which Hydaelin did because a retcon was needed) and there's good old Emet-Selch claiming he's telling the truth but kind of being dishonest and huffy about some of his feelings on the matter.... but past a certain point claiming that Venat was lying requires enough stretching to open a yoga studio.

Those that turn from big crystal mommy live in the dark. Sense is useless to them.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those that turn from big crystal mommy live in the dark. Sense is useless to them.

Big Crystal Mommy did enough questionable decisions that she's perfectly willing to own and admit to! No need for there to be lies for her to be a person you can condemn if you so wish!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FeatherFloat posted:

I mean all the characters from their own perspectives felt that they were right, so they did what they did, at least from how I see it. Which I think is interesting in contrast to Omega's questioning where all of his logical responses and objections to the choices people made really came down to 'yeah I guess you're logically correct, but I had feelings about the matter'. And those feelings are an inevitable part of why beings do what they choose to do, unable to be entirely divorced from the raw logic of the situation.

To paraphrase that one Garlean, "The Heart wants what it wants. Even if it takes the mind a bit to come around on it."

That was a great little capstone on Endwalker.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd argue Tataru's sidequest also acts a capstone for Endwalker. But while Omega deals with the themes, Tataru deals with the world (the implication being we're gonna meet up with the entire Ilsabard contingent and maybe some old friends.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I ought to get around to the Tataru quest then :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

It's criminal that the Tataru quest doesn't have any costume changes, and they dang well better be saving it up for a big reveal at the end.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/nocheamarga/status/1534358048139055107?s=21&t=MnDhjbLxyzjc-u_Kc6WhuA

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Sounds like I'm going to have to try to get some people to unsync Omega this weekend with me.

Just queue for them normally, they're normal raids so you'll get people doing roulette.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is delightful that "the goofy rear end cartoon chocobo and the tiny robot" are two of the most beloved characters in this stupid game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wish to investigate the Interspectorial Rift further.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FeatherFloat posted:

Generally speaking their angle on that is 'they didn't know she was going to sunder the planet, she only sprang that after she got their energy to summon Hydaelyn'. Which... yeah, actually contradicts what the Watcher said pretty directly.

And is also a pretty blatant double standard that they consider Venat supposedly lying proof of her cruelty and evil, but Emet-Selch being outright deceitful and duplicitous is given a pass. But that's normal from that lot; 'Venat committed genocide (we will not discuss the far more numerous and unambiguous acts of the exact same crime performed by Sad Hitler)' is a tragically common angle over there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how the game doesn't push any of them as being particularly right or wrong in the omega quest, it just wants you to think about it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Your picture inspired me to put some glam effort into it.

I think Roes may have the beach volleyball player physique on a lock

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Omega quest was nice, but while going through it I was totally expecting the final location we were gonna visit was Ultima Thule.

But then we didn't which led me to wonder, does Ultima Thule still exist lore-wise or did it dissapear after we defeated Meteion? I'm super confused about this since there's also the part where the Omicron-memories were preparing to invade Etherys during the Sigma Dreamscape sidequest.

I was hoping the Omicron cafe ends up being a tribal quest and we get to repopulate the Necropolis through it :unsmith:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't think there's any particular reason for to believe it to have vanished in-lore, especially with Jammingway presently hanging out. There's just numerous dynamis-reconstructed races in the region, and apparently Omega didn't want to compare notes with the Omicron there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It still exists lore wise. Some of the npcs bring up it's in this weird situation where you can literally walk onto the Ragnarok from Sharlayan, and come out the other side in Ultima Thule.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

There is a bit of dialogue that details that the Raghnarok continues to be, somehow, in both Sharlyan and Ultima Thule at the same time, due to continued Dynamis Weirdness.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This conveniently means they ship won't be making any additional interstellar voyages any time soon, probably. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

oh no he got covid

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
corvid

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
kwehvid

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how the game doesn't push any of them as being particularly right or wrong in the omega quest, it just wants you to think about it.

Took me a minute to make a choice on that.

ImpAtom posted:

It is delightful that "the goofy rear end cartoon chocobo and the tiny robot" are two of the most beloved characters in this stupid game.

They're great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So for some reason the scene with the Watcher isn't in the Unending Journey, so I had to track down a youtube video to check his speech--and was right to do it, because it has some pretty useful information that is pretty easy to miss first time through. For everyone's benefit:

quote:

At the time of your journey to the past, the one whose essence I embody would have been a scholar at Anyder. A shame. Had you reason to go there, perhaps you might have met. As a man of learning, he was firm friends with Venat. They spent long hours trading theories, or debating the laws of the universe. I "remember" joining her faction as the Final Days bore down on us. Yet of the events surrounding that tragedy, I recall precious little. Hydaelyn wished for the people of your age to decide their own path, thus I suspect my recollection was limited by design.

Yet even She could not cut away one persistent memory... I feel most distinctly his sadness at what was to come to pass. That in becoming Hydaelyn's heart, Venat would forever stand apart from the people she so loved. If she were so resolved in her convictions, then he, too, would share her sleepless vigil over the future yet to unfold. Thus was the vow he made to Venat as her transformation took hold. His fervent wish must have reached her in some fashion... for though his life was drained away by the summoning, he was reborn with new form and new purpose when I awoke as the watcher of the moon.

And you heard, PlayerName. You felt. You thought. And in seizing the future for yourselves have you brought full circle the saga which Venat began. What you accomplished was no divine miracle. It was but the beacon of hope, passed down from one generation to the next; a succession of wishes and prayers reshaping the star into the world we knew you deserved. You have our deepest gratitude. I thank you not only as myself, but as the man I once was, and on behalf of those who devoted themselves to Venat's vision.

There's part of that that really stood out to me as 'wait a minute this is important': it seems like the Watcher might have Anyder Guy's actual soul... which makes him the last Ancient. He's the only one left, and he's unemployed!

It also implicitly rules out the theory of the Twelve being Venat's crew, because the thing that mostly held for that was that there actually were exactly twelve of them... but now that one is accounted for, it can't work out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't know about him having the guy's actual soul. Seemed like a similar situation to the Hytlodaeus in Emet's Amaurot, a more realistic copy than its creator intended because the creator's feelings about the person in question affect their work.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't know about him having the guy's actual soul. Seemed like a similar situation to the Hytlodaeus in Emet's Amaurot, a more realistic copy than its creator intended because the creator's feelings about the person in question affect their work.

If we presume that he is talking about 'the man he once was' while having been built as a facsimile of an Ancient, we can probably presume at least some measure of his soul was involved in making him. Hylothodeus' replica was very specific in saying he was not actually Hylothodeus.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Also it said "I wish we could've met" which probably rules out it being anyone we know?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Alxprit posted:

Also it said "I wish we could've met" which probably rules out it being anyone we know?
Yeah this is how I interpreted it. I saw various guesses as to who Watcher actually was, Erichthonios being a popular guess due to his associate with shackles -> being the one watching over Zodiark's jail, but now we know it's just a random scholar who was part of Venat's faction.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I hope we learn his name is Diogenes.

Look, there has to be a Diogenes somewhere among the Ancients. He's like Sappho, if you're slapping Greek names on characters then you can't just leave it on the table.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nobody in Elpis flung poo poo at us, so I don't think we met Diogenes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

He has to be FuSoYa, it's so obvious that it loops around to being an out-there pick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

*holds up shark* Behold! A primal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibblebibble posted:

He has to be FuSoYa, it's so obvious that it loops around to being an out-there pick.

That would be a bizarre break in the greek naming scheme.