Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here is a comparison with Sigma's 35/2 and 35/1.4

Got the 35/2 for 379€ used, including Sigma's WR protector filter: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/accessories/category/filter/sigma-wr-protector/

I wanted a lighter weight and smaller walkaround lens. It should go well with the Panasonic 50mm f/1.8. Next I "need" maybe the 18/1.8 panny, or 17/4 Sigma (which is super dark though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I keep wanting to dip into medium format but everything I read shows that I'm going to be really frustrated coming from Sony. Too much money to pour (poor) in and then realize I hosed up after my first outing with my kid running around.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bodies like the a7riv already are what we would have considered MF quality five years ago or so

i get it, the larger sensor and 100MP along with the qualities of a MF lens are great. But if you're just after the resolution... i don't think the money is worth it. unless you're making prints the size of a wall. they're niche tools now, for photos that are going to see use in huge ads.

i looked well into it when comparing the sony a7riv and nikon z7ii. it just wasn't worth it. i came to that conclusion before you even factor in lens cost.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

bodies like the a7riv already are what we would have considered MF quality five years ago or so

i get it, the larger sensor and 100MP along with the qualities of a MF lens are great. But if you're just after the resolution... i don't think the money is worth it. unless you're making prints the size of a wall. they're niche tools now, for photos that are going to see use in huge ads.

i looked well into it when comparing the sony a7riv and nikon z7ii. it just wasn't worth it. i came to that conclusion before you even factor in lens cost.

Yes, but have you considered that people like myself want to take some pictures, zoom in a billion times in Capture One and say "Check this out!" to our patiently bored spouses, and leave it on a shelf somewhere in our house for months on end?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Hmmm. Hits home and I have a measly 46mp.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guess I have some weird idea of keeping more of the perspective from 35mm but having more crop reach. Probably not actually a thing!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you serve an important role in providing stock for the used market, that's for sure

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I guess I have some weird idea of keeping more of the perspective from 35mm but having more crop reach. Probably not actually a thing!
they make lenses longer than 35mm for most systems, idk

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Hmmm. Hits home and I have a measly 46mp.

Meh!

Most of my shots would look identical taken with the Z6II, but I still like the files I get out of my Z7II just fine, and the extra pixels makes it a lot easier to crop :sun:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've convinced myself resolution is good for in-camera cropping to weird aspects. Well cropping in post too I guess, but being able to flip to 6x17 with a button press and see it on live view is good times. Knowing you'll still get a decent resolution file out of it is even better.

Granted, 100mp is still pretty absurd. 6x17 on a sensor with that resolution still makes a 54mp file. But with more reasonable high resolution cameras around the 50mp range, that puts you in the mid 20's. Which is still good enough for reasonably sized prints but I can see why people would want more.. especially if one is actually making a living off pictures.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

they make lenses longer than 35mm for most systems, idk

Yeah, but don't those flatten the background more? I feel like my 35mm environmental portraits have a lot more depth vs the 90 or 70-200 I've been using lately. I've been buying used from Reddit (r/photomarket is great) so I've been willing to sort of shuffle things up as I learn different styles.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wibla posted:

Meh!

Most of my shots would look identical taken with the Z6II, but I still like the files I get out of my Z7II just fine, and the extra pixels makes it a lot easier to crop :sun:

Have you compared the Z7 and Z7II? I still can’t bring myself to sell the Z7 since I feel like the low ISO files out of it are better than the Z8 and Z9 still. It’s one of those rare cameras where I feel there’s something truly special about the sensor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

No, I went from a D750 to a Z7II. I briefly considered a used Z7, but then I came across the camera I have now.

If you like the Z7 and don't need to sell it, keep it?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wibla posted:

No, I went from a D750 to a Z7II. I briefly considered a used Z7, but then I came across the camera I have now.

If you like the Z7 and don't need to sell it, keep it?

Yeah, I am keeping it, was mostly curious if the Z7II image quality was improved at all or if it was mostly autofocus and other stuff that changed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's mostly creature comforts (USB PD, dual card slots) and better AF IIRC. They also fixed the deep shadow banding issue.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
There's nothing wrong with sticking with a camera you know and love. No need to fall into the gear acquisition syndrome and buy only the newest equipment.

The best photographers can pick up any camera and work magic out of them.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ihmemies posted:

Here is a comparison with Sigma's 35/2 and 35/1.4

Got the 35/2 for 379€ used, including Sigma's WR protector filter: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/accessories/category/filter/sigma-wr-protector/

I wanted a lighter weight and smaller walkaround lens. It should go well with the Panasonic 50mm f/1.8. Next I "need" maybe the 18/1.8 panny, or 17/4 Sigma (which is super dark though).

Honestly half the benefit to super fast lenses is their stopped-down performance. I used a meh-condition Nikon 55 1.2 for a few shots and yeah it was abject trash wide open, but by 1.8 it was sharp as hell.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

SoundMonkey posted:

Honestly half the benefit to super fast lenses is their stopped-down performance. I used a meh-condition Nikon 55 1.2 for a few shots and yeah it was abject trash wide open, but by 1.8 it was sharp as hell.

This, but also watch it, because a lot of really fast lenses start falling down in performance again after f/8 (this is most observable on a really nice clear fast lens like a Sigma Art).

There's a whole class of Leica M mount f/2.8's that are sharper than their faster variants at anywhere from f/8-22 as well.

It turns out that lens design is hard.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

windex posted:

This, but also watch it, because a lot of really fast lenses start falling down in performance again after f/8 (this is most observable on a really nice clear fast lens like a Sigma Art).

There's a whole class of Leica M mount f/2.8's that are sharper than their faster variants at anywhere from f/8-22 as well.

It turns out that lens design is hard.

I mean, diffraction is a known thing, although usually that's more around f/11.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://fujixweekly.com/2023/09/13/report-fujifilm-will-announce-a-very-small-digital-camera-this-month/

quote:

According to Fujirumors, there is a brand-new rumor that Fujifilm will announce a “very small” digital camera within the next couple of weeks, sometime before the end of the month. No other details were provided, so our imagination can run wild with what exactly it is.

I’m intrigued.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

I place my bet on an action camera.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

j.peeba posted:

Isn't the market for those pretty dried up, or am I way out of touch?

I'd love it to be an X70 successor, because those are still going for $600+ used and always liked the idea of an x100-ish thing with a wider lens.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I don’t know how the market is, but two years ago I wanted an action camera for a weekend family trip. I bought a knockoff Chinese brand on Amazon with waterproof accessories and everything for 50 bucks. It worked great for bright daytime use. I can’t imagine a $400 GoPro would’ve been significantly better for non-professional use.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

frogbs posted:

Isn't the market for those pretty dried up, or am I way out of touch?

I'd love it to be an X70 successor, because those are still going for $600+ used and always liked the idea of an x100-ish thing with a wider lens.

My thinking is that the market has dried up for all cameras and Fuji wants to try to expand its base.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Smaller Instax? I refuse to get my hopes up it’s something I’ll actually want to buy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A 28mm x70-like but with EVF would be choice, maybe the Ricoh GR’s success is getting some notice? A properly modern RX100 from Sony would be nice as well for those of us on team small camera.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

This was true with 50 year old lens designs. These days there’s barely any difference with modern mirrorless lens design.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Fuji are going to release a 500mm for the gfx system (395mm equiv). I've have some of what they're smoking!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I want Fuji to make a digital TX-1/XPan. Even if they charge Hasselblad prices for it. Is that too much to ask?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Fuji are going to release a 500mm for the gfx system (395mm equiv). I've have some of what they're smoking!

Why's that crazy? I don't know anything about Fuji

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

blue squares posted:

That's a medium format system. So, like, absolutely huge glass.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I want Fuji to make a digital TX-1/XPan. Even if they charge Hasselblad prices for it. Is that too much to ask?

You can set the GFX cameras to 65:24 mode.The GFX50R would be the closest equivalent, handling-wise, and much cheaper.

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 14, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

qirex posted:

You can set the GFX cameras to 65:24 mode.The GFX50R would be the closest equivalent, handling-wise, and much cheaper.

Yeah, but that's still kind of a monster. A rangefinder size and form factor with a fixed 35mm custom lens and a 65:24 sensor is what I want.
Or hell even a firmware setting to de-squeeze anamorphic shots in-camera for existing x-mount bodies.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I held a 50R in a store and it's basically a brick, ergonomically. I think most people who own one have them on tripods 95% of the time anyway. I tried shooting my x100 in 16x9 for a while but I take so many portrait orientation pictures it was unwieldy.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji medium format seems incredible and yet there is no other camera system I would choose it over. It just looks so big and cumbersome and it’s hella expensive even by photo dollar standards. It kind of surprises me that Fuji can sell enough of them to justify making it. I’m sure the system takes great photos though.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

j.peeba posted:

I can’t stop thinking about this. Cool teens shooting Acros Red Filter snowboarding videos.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fujirumors just posted it's going to be an Instax :smith:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Sad. Oh well. I’m glad Fuji supposedly makes good money on that line.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hmmm. a $1200 Panasonic Lumix 100-400MM F4.0-6.3 II? The first version better start costing peanuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

blue squares posted:

It combining a medium format camera (quality at the expense of a big, heavy, slow camera) with a lens typically the domain of sports and wildlife. It's just a weird combination