Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if anyone will bother pointing any questions about her being a handmaid, just to see the convoluted answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Aren't the reinfections rare occurrences? I remember the news making a big deal out of it when it happened, so I assumed it was a rare case. I also remember a family pleading for patients who had recovered from covid, for their antibodies.

We're getting out into the weeds here for this thread but its still early days for the disease and we don't know how it'll mutate going forward. So maybe? Maybe not?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1315674261533716481?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if anyone will bother pointing any questions about her being a handmaid, just to see the convoluted answer.

Not a chance. Dems are gonna steer well clear of anything that sounds like a direct question about her personal religious preferences.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Aren't the reinfections rare occurrences? I remember the news making a big deal out of it when it happened, so I assumed it was a rare case. I also remember a family pleading for patients who had recovered from covid, for their antibodies.

So far, but coronaviruses usually only confer immunity to reinfection for several months. Subsequent reinfections tend to be only mildly or asymptomatic, but still contagious.

SARS-CoV-2 seems to fit the pattern since antibodies disappear over several months and we’ve already had a few confirmed reinfections that we’re asymptotic the second time around. That means that people who get infected a second time are probably at less personal risk but are at high risk of spreading the virus to others because they will likely be asymptomatic and taking fewer precautions. Especially right-wing nutjobs.

This still isn’t confirmed because we’re early in the epidemic and most asymptomatic reinfections will never even be tested. The virologists on the This Week in Virology podcast think it’s the most likely scenario given current evidence, though.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 12, 2020

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

On behalf of Missouri, I'm so, so sorry for our fuckwad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

All I want is Joe Manchin grilling ACB over her West Virginia opinions

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1316008871719325696?s=20

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Feinstein’s going to be dead in five years and has always been a reactionary shithead, she doesn’t give a poo poo.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1316024366975524867
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1316025375479144448
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1316025643348357132

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe that a person who vigorously defended flying the Confederate flag when she was mayor could be a bad person. :monocle:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/1316030874513620993?s=21
prime photoshop material here

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

This lady has that smugly ignorant shithead chud face nearly perfected

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Her responses are reasonably competent. All in all, this would be less horrifying if it wasn’t following the Beer-Man hearings. She hasn’t been nearly as easy to object to as he was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Her responses are reasonably competent. All in all, this would be less horrifying if it wasn’t following the Beer-Man hearings. She hasn’t been nearly as easy to object to as he was.

https://twitter.com/vanitaguptaCR/status/1316082898244689920?s=20

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the smug look of someone who knows she's just a couple days away from getting the most cushy and no-work job in america

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

So have most nominees since I started paying attention to them (so basically since Roberts.) Kavanaugh was exceptional not just because it turned into ripping off the “respectful of women” mask off the GOP in such a way that it caused people personal pain, but he was also so incompetent at not answering questions that he needed people like Lindsay Graham to start singing his praises loudly when someone got close to making a point.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

sexpig by night posted:

the most cushy and no-work job in america

What a bizarre way to describe being a justice

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mitztronic posted:

I genuinely can't think of any other job that deserves the title beyond a literal lifetime job you have no accountability in that's the objective peak of your chosen career.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mitztronic posted:

To be fair, one of the justices sleeps through entire hearings not infrequently.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, one of the justices sleeps through entire hearings not infrequently.

dude just gets to loving nap during literal life or death cases and we can't do /poo poo/ about it! It's such a sweet job!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm sure this will shock all of you, but the SCOTUS has ruled that Trump can end the census early. That this is a huge help to the GOP in their attempt to keep power is certainly a coincidence I'm sure.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ACB, is murder a crime?

ACB: I don't want to get into hypotheticals here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some Senator asked if Trump could postpone the election and she refused to answer even though he obviously can’t

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm sure this will shock all of you, but the SCOTUS has ruled that Trump can end the census early. That this is a huge help to the GOP in their attempt to keep power is certainly a coincidence I'm sure.

that's not quite the (bad) scotus news, and it's not an accurate description of what happens if we (wrongly) end census enumeration tomorrow / next week and keep it ended

The current/yesterday state of affairs is that enumeration continues till October 31, or another three-ish weeks. The ideal is as close to 100% enumeration as feasible, and more time is good. Most states are pretty close to 100% right now, and most parts of most states are pretty close to 100%. This is due in large part to very good Census Bureau management, enthusiastic and motivated enumerators, a gigantic hiring push three ish months ago, and virtually unlimited overtime opportunities.

Unenumerated addresses are also not necessarily just marked vacant - they're fed into The Algorithm which, to massively oversimplify, fills them in with representative data proportionally to similar addresses in similar areas. This tends towards undercounting rather than overcounting for Various Pretty Good Reasons, but it is not a zero count outside of wacky edge cases.

The Supreme Court has not ruled Trump can stop the count early, but it has iirc removed the stay that prevented him from stopping it temporarily - and after October 31 he is in a much stronger position in stopping it entirely, which means that every lost day in the meantime is potentially permanently lost even if SCOTUS/the circuit aren't total assholes in their eventual ruling.

tldr: it's bad but it's not as bad as you might think

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

dude just gets to loving nap during literal life or death cases and we can't do /poo poo/ about it! It's such a sweet job!

tbf Thomas's position on why oral arguments are bunk and should be abolished is somewhat less crazy than all his other raving mad ideas

he thinks anything worth submitting can be submitted in writing and oral arguments are a big theatrical waste of time

and his theory would have deprived Ted Cruz of his treasured "Ted Cruz arguing before SCOTUS" portrait, so it's not entirely bad

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's not quite the (bad) scotus news, and it's not an accurate description of what happens if we (wrongly) end census enumeration tomorrow / next week and keep it ended

The current/yesterday state of affairs is that enumeration continues till October 31, or another three-ish weeks. The ideal is as close to 100% enumeration as feasible, and more time is good. Most states are pretty close to 100% right now, and most parts of most states are pretty close to 100%. This is due in large part to very good Census Bureau management, enthusiastic and motivated enumerators, a gigantic hiring push three ish months ago, and virtually unlimited overtime opportunities.

Unenumerated addresses are also not necessarily just marked vacant - they're fed into The Algorithm which, to massively oversimplify, fills them in with representative data proportionally to similar addresses in similar areas. This tends towards undercounting rather than overcounting for Various Pretty Good Reasons, but it is not a zero count outside of wacky edge cases.

The Supreme Court has not ruled Trump can stop the count early, but it has iirc removed the stay that prevented him from stopping it temporarily - and after October 31 he is in a much stronger position in stopping it entirely, which means that every lost day in the meantime is potentially permanently lost even if SCOTUS/the circuit aren't total assholes in their eventual ruling.

tldr: it's bad but it's not as bad as you might think

Are you sure about the algorithm part? I thought apportionment was strictly by enumerated people and the courts always said they gotta go by the count as a constitutional process (though it’s pretty high odds that gets changed 5-4 with Trump applying some other, non-enumerative data to determine who’s not a citizen.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Are you sure about the algorithm part? I thought apportionment was strictly by enumerated people and the courts always said they gotta go by the count as a constitutional process (though it’s pretty high odds that gets changed 5-4 with Trump applying some other, non-enumerative data to determine who’s not a citizen.)

damned near 100% sure but I can't be assed to dig it up on my phone atm, I'll try to find it when I'm back at my computer

I am even more sure about the "we have done a really great job enumerating this year" thing though and cannot give enough kudos to my comrades and census bureaucrats

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tbf Thomas's position on why oral arguments are bunk and should be abolished is somewhat less crazy than all his other raving mad ideas

he thinks anything worth submitting can be submitted in writing and oral arguments are a big theatrical waste of time

and his theory would have deprived Ted Cruz of his treasured "Ted Cruz arguing before SCOTUS" portrait, so it's not entirely bad

yea honestly jokes aside I'm actually a bit sympathetic to his view on oral arguments being mostly just attempts to make a weak case stronger with an emotional element and the like, like you said it's incredibly low on his actual list of insane and stupid views.

It's just so loving funny that one of the most powerful people in america can just take a snoozer during the most public part of his job and we just have to go 'welp, there he is'.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I agree at this point the count is almost done no matter what but the fight will be in however the numbers can be manipulated by Trump and what a new Congress can do in response.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This would be good in a world even 10-20 years ago but at this point it’s better that the non-Thomas fringe justices love to talk and will use these opportunities to tell on themselves.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 13, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sexpig by night posted:

yea honestly jokes aside I'm actually a bit sympathetic to his view on oral arguments being mostly just attempts to make a weak case stronger with an emotional element and the like, like you said it's incredibly low on his actual list of insane and stupid views.

It's just so loving funny that one of the most powerful people in america can just take a snoozer during the most public part of his job and we just have to go 'welp, there he is'.

If I knew that I was about to take the negative position on "should x minority have rights?" I wouldn't want to have to look anyone in the eye during oral arguments

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Devor posted:

If I knew that I was about to take the negative position on "should x minority have rights?" I wouldn't want to have to look anyone in the eye during oral arguments

america hates him, this judge has one weird trick to avoid feeling any shame as he guts the already weak civil rights established in the country.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

enthusiastic and motivated enumerators

I did boated one around earlier this summer to get her out to some of the more isolated people and holy poo poo was she obnoxiously motivated. It was really nice to see though, like basic good government that you don't encounter every day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Devor posted:

ACB, is murder a crime?

ACB: I don't want to get into hypotheticals here

She’s a federal judge. “Murder” is only a federal crime in a few circumstances so actually the answer could legitimately be “no”

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

She’s a federal judge. “Murder” is only a federal crime in a few circumstances so actually the answer could legitimately be “no”

Murder is, by definition, a crime. It literally means "the unlawful killing of another."

Much like how the POTUS cannot legally suspend or delay elections in the US (an actual question that ACAB refused to answer).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

id be mad at the needless pedantism but like, it is the law thread sooo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1316130757954461701?s=20

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I did boated one around earlier this summer to get her out to some of the more isolated people and holy poo poo was she obnoxiously motivated. It was really nice to see though, like basic good government that you don't encounter every day.

You boated one around? Like on a boat? I realize that sounds dumb but I want to make sure I’m reading that right.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone should ask if she owns a photo copier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

id be mad at the needless pedantism but like, it is the law thread sooo

Its literally the job of a judge so like thats the answer you'd expect for them to be qualified?