Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations on YouTube channels focused on dota tutorials and general "learn to play better" type content?

Purge and Day[9] are gonna start a new weekly tutorial series in 2 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

Purge and Day[9] are gonna start a new weekly tutorial series in 2 days!

I'm so hyped for this. Gonna be the best dota content outside if TI

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Oooh, I remember Day9 from watching his Day9 Daily StarCraft videos. They were really useful!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDMqTRlu1A

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

2 hours?? And Thorin? Blertghhh

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Xtanstic posted:

2 hours?? And Thorin? Blertghhh

A two hour Thooorin video? I guess even he is starting to dislike his excessively long youtubes.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
whyd u even post atht who the gently caress wants to listen to the two most insufferable people in history talk to each other?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/821253978939719680

since nobody posted it
And for the record, the invited teams are EG, Wings, Newbee, OG

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
No China qualifiers?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Tipme posted:

No China qualifiers?

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Dota_2_Asia_Championships_2017/China_Qualifier

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
D2⚡Bowie is great to watch for analysis. He's not newbie focused, but most days since 7.00 he's been putting out videos about new playstyles for heroes based on the patch and analysing how pros play with them. He's probably my favourite 'learn to play better' guy at the moment.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's weird to see Cloud9 in qualifiers and stuff again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It feels so weird to see Navi in a European qualifier when there's a CIS qualifier as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

China doing everything they can to get teams to finish in the top half of a bracket

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elyv posted:

It feels so weird to see Navi in a European qualifier when there's a CIS qualifier as well

It's a more EU team than CIS this time around

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Thorin and PPD have had their ugly moments, for sure, but that interview was fine imo. PPD surprisingly humble about past mistakes at times

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i agree, was an interesting interview despite thorin being an utter fucknugget

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's a more EU team than CIS this time around

I know. Still feels weird.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was kind of disappointed that there was really no new information in a 2 hour video

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Strange that EG got a direct invite when DC didnt

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheRat posted:

Eg won two Chinese lans is probably why they were picked.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Eg won two Chinese lans is probably why they were picked.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Evil_Geniuses/Results where's the second one?
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Digital_Chaos/Results DC for reference.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
they want rtz at their lan because hes a star

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

violent sex idiot posted:

they want rtz at their lan because hes a star

EG would crush the qualifiers anyway so it's not like that's at risk.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TheRat posted:

EG would crush the qualifiers anyway so it's not like that's at risk.

I've heard PPD mention in another interview that, at some point in your success, you tell tournaments that you're only coming if they directly invite you, that the qualifiers are beneath you and just a way for event coordinators to drum up attention for the tournament the team is not responsible for. My guess is it's one of those situations and DC hadn't made that move yet.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

I've heard PPD mention in another interview that, at some point in your success, you tell tournaments that you're only coming if they directly invite you, that the qualifiers are beneath you and just a way for event coordinators to drum up attention for the tournament the team is not responsible for. My guess is it's one of those situations and DC hadn't made that move yet.

That's the point where you tell them "gently caress off, you massive oval office. We'll happily give our millions to someone else"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

That's the point where you tell them "gently caress off, you massive oval office. We'll happily give our millions to someone else"

yeah but they want rtz in their event because hes a star

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TheRat posted:

Well, you might, but the team isn't wrong, and you have to legitimize your tourney with their presence so you can offer bigger prizes next time, so it's a pretty natural capitalistic rock-and-hard-place situation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Well, you might, but the team isn't wrong, and you have to legitimize your tourney with their presence so you can offer bigger prizes next time, so it's a pretty natural capitalistic rock-and-hard-place situation.

This might be true for any other event organiser, but valve have proven to be exceptionally stubborn in the past.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

TheRat posted:

lol this isnt how the world works

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TheRat posted:

EG is a gaming institution, DC is two dudes. This is America. I'll let you suss out the rest.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kibner posted:

A two hour Thooorin video? I guess even he is starting to dislike his excessively long youtubes.

Thankfully there's a large transcript on reddit. As usual, confirms some things you have an inkling about and some neat nuggets buried as well. I'm too lazy to copy paste it and fix the formatting :v:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

Pretty much it's this
https://twitter.com/Peterpandam/status/820856274388590592

Also I can't really imagine EG has to do much convincing to get invites. They're the most popular team in the west. Arteezy is the biggest star in DOTA. AND they're legitimately a top team. Organizers clearly want them there.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 18, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
All direct invites are dumb, make everyone qualify to everything.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Kainser posted:

sure but they want rtz at their event, because hes a star

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kainser posted:

Qualifiers are dumb. All tournaments should be BYOB 256 slot open brackets.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
no wooden pc's

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
e: nvm id o NOT wish to be probated please disregard!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Invites are dumb and bad, but hey wow Ad Finem sure gained a lot of standing for that Boston runner-up huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
DAC isn't a valve tournament dude

• Locked thread