Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bouillon Rube posted:

So is the Trailblazer hold the record for the most badge-engineered car ever? I was sitting in traffic behind an Izuzu Ascender last week and trying to think of all the names that it was sold under

Trailblazer
9-7x
Bravada
Ascender
Envoy
IDK I’m sure there was a Buick too, because there is no way that early 2000’s GM would allow that to not happen?

The British were pretty good with their badge engineering once BMC and British Leyland merged. I think you could get the original Mini as the following:

Austin 850
Rover Mini
Austin Cooper
Austin Mini
Austin Partner
Austin Seven
Innocenti Mini
Leyland Mini
Morris 850
Morris Mascot
Morris Mini
Riley Elf
Wolseley 1000
Wolseley Hornet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's the most :britain: :wotwot: list of car names I've ever seen.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

PaintVagrant posted:

Was this your first car, if I remember correctly?

Yup. I'm a 39yo first time driver. Wooooo.

chrisgt posted:

Ugh, lovely!
The bottom end on those is pretty stout, but that was making a nasty sound. Was the temp gauge deep into the red when you stopped? Did you happen to get the coolant temp on your obd2 reader?
If you go the rebuilt head route, you wanna be very sure the bottom end didn't suffer damage.

Temp gauge was slap bang in the middle. Appears t be more of an overpressure event for the coolant. Didn't have the app running on my phone at the time, or I would have posted graphs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kilonum posted:

Car update: head gasket blew, cumbusted into coolant, radiator hose split
I now have two options:
Option one: mechanic sources a less used engine and gives me a quote (in progress)
Option 2: tear down and rebuild head and coolant system, ~$1k (backup plan)

There is always an Option 3 dude

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just gold enough. I like that a lot, man. Looks great.

Appresh!

Guinness posted:

This is exactly the right amount of subtle green and gold on that car, love it

Thank you, sir!

Front carbon fiber lip going on next week :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Kilonum posted:

Yup. I'm a 39yo first time driver. Wooooo.

Temp gauge was slap bang in the middle. Appears t be more of an overpressure event for the coolant. Didn't have the app running on my phone at the time, or I would have posted graphs.

Ouch :( Good luck with it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

dissss posted:

...LS swap?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

dissss posted:

Buy six rusty Subarus like me, and then turn the Volvo into a project that'll never get finished?
Or do you mean the sensible thing, and buy a Toyota Corolla, and keep the Volvo as a project.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I wish

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

chrisgt posted:

Buy six rusty Subarus like me, and then turn the Volvo into a project that'll never get finished?
Or do you mean the sensible thing, and buy a Toyota Corolla, and keep the Volvo as a project.

I live in an apartment, and my lease limits me to one car per adult resident.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean, I've got a Justy that needs love. (Do not actually take this seriously, these are a challenge to keep alive even for truly warped individuals who like pain.)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kilonum posted:

After being registered and driven for *checks notes* 13 days, this happened (skip to 2 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bllGrKYKk
Hopefully the song is prophetic. :smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kilonum posted:

Well, THAT's unAmerican.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

probably gonna get me a bunch of lols and lmaos but hell, if i'm gonna have one, i'm enjoying it

(file photo)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

I mean, I've got a Justy that needs love. (Do not actually take this seriously, these are a challenge to keep alive even for truly warped individuals who like pain.)

I have a [running] biturbo, how much worse could it be...
Can you fit a 3cyl kubota diesel into a justy?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

I have a [running] biturbo, how much worse could it be...
Can you fit a 3cyl kubota diesel into a justy?

I have no idea but the distance from the bellhousing mating surface to the opposite frame rail is roughly 17 inches, which isn't a whole lot for adapter plate, block, and front drive accessories. Even the stock engine is a pretty tight fit.

I don't think it is much worse, aside from Justys being throwaway sub economy cars and biturbos being "rich people poo poo" so more likely to have sat around to provide spare parts than a Justy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

carry on then posted:

probably gonna get me a bunch of lols and lmaos but hell, if i'm gonna have one, i'm enjoying it

(file photo)

Curiously enough, that's the second one in this thread!

PirateDentist posted:

I pretty much just lurk here, but I just had a weekend adventure and got what is probably a boring car for this place. Sold my '07 Fit on Friday at home in AZ, talked to a Cali dealership on Saturday, took an overnight Amtrak to LA on Sunday, and drove home a new '20 Sonata Hybrid Limited on Monday.

Just after getting ceramic coated. The new gen is still really rare around here, everyone at the tint shop had no idea what it was. Apparently everyone who visited the tint shop while they were working on it for a few days was asking what on earth it was. It may be divisive on its looks, but I really dig it. When I picked it up everyone at the shop was taking photos of it outside. :3: 52.3 MPG driving from LA to Phoenix.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

meatpimp posted:

Curiously enough, that's the second one in this thread!

Ah neat, hybrid vs n-line. Kind of a quirky car but I like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that open mouth fish grill.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Well, THAT's unAmerican.
A rich land owner telling proles what they can’t do sounds pretty American to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

A rich land owner telling proles what they can’t do sounds pretty American to me.

Point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kilonum posted:

So do I and I don't even have an assigned space, but I'm slowly taking over the street from the VAG with 20 year old japanese cars.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

$4300 to swap the engine. I bought a loving lemon. :suicide:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kilonum posted:

I'm positive I speak for everyone here when I say:
"Do not spend any more money on this car"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, it really sucks but please don't put any more money into a dead 250k mile Volvo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Kilonum posted:

Sucks to hear that it blew up. :( These things happen though, and I concur with the "please don't sink money into this".

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Did you buy it from a dealer? They’ll almost certainly tell you to gently caress off but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Bouillon Rube posted:

Did you buy it from a dealer? They’ll almost certainly tell you to gently caress off but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

No, private seller.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

It still wouldn’t hurt to contact a private seller. Nothing ventured nothing gained. That stinks.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sucks to hear that it blew up. :( These things happen though, and I concur with the "please don't sink money into this".

Even if I wanted to, I can't. I had sunk all my money into buying this car. loving serves me right for wanting to get wheels so I could get a job farther than loving walking distance which limits me to loving lovely rear end retail bullshit.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Tough lesson to learn. Sorry dude that’s super lame. Echoing what other say and urge not so spend money on it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Surely, SURELY we can find a fricken motor for a few hundred bucks and local boys can help swap it.

Come on goons I know it can be done.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

No its a P2 not a lemon. Lemons can be fixed. Cash it in for a redblock powered Volvo and you're good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bape Culture posted:

Surely, SURELY we can find a fricken motor for a few hundred bucks and local boys can help swap it.

Come on goons I know it can be done.

This is a great way to learn how to wrench. Swapping a motor seems daunting but I tell every person that has never worked on a car the same thing: It's just nuts and bolts. If you can find a helper or two, watch a couple youtube videos and afford some tools and time, you can be a mechanic basically. Or at least a parts swapper. :v:

You can do it, OP!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I'm financially hosed

All my money went into buying this car

I'm barely going to be able to pay for the diagnostic work that has been done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wish I had the time to help because you aren't even that far away. What are the 6th and 7th vin digits, 52 or 59? I'm guessing 52 unless it's an s60r?

I see a few engines for like, 250 on carpart listed as running well, but I have no idea how much worse the transverse ones are to work on.

I gotta say I was expecting the trans to explode on it first (aren't those the ones with the unreliable angle gear drive?) But yeah those cars are not particularly reliable.

I know a guy looking to ditch a Volvo 940 from the early 00s that's... Allegedly more reliable? I don't think he's asking more than scrap price at this point. It was his GFs daily driver until it needed a new throttle body, he may even have the part but it needs to be coded to the ECU or something. He thought he was going to fix and sell it but it's been sitting years at this point and he hasn't touched it and has no interest in doing so because he makes more at his day job than he would loving with the car. If you might be interested I can talk to him about it. It's parked in New Braintree behind the hangar we have been using as a shared workshop for the last few years.

If anyone wants to naysay this idea too, please do it right now, because I don't wanna sell kilonum on another lemon by accident and I don't know poo poo about Volvos made any time in the last 25 years. :v:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If it needs a throttle body coded it’s definitely not a 940.

I’ve owned 10+ Volvos, stay the gently caress away from most of them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The last RWD Volvo was 98 and that was badged as an S90 or V90.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a '99 2.5 NA V70, as far as I can tell from looking at it in the dark and flailing around with a vin decoder chart last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I picked this up for pretty cheap. I have a buddy who does time attack and road course racing that I'm thinking of using this for. It has a lot of upgrades and mods on it from the previous owner, quite peppy little car.