Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Idk I think it's perfectly fair for cops to profile a car that basically has a bunch of "I ENJOY COMMITTING CRIMES" stickers on the back. Being an idiot is not a protected class.

It's realistic to expect some "broken tail light -> I smelled drugs" traffic stops and full searches to happen, but that doesn't make it right. "Idiot" may not be a protected class, but you should have the right to say dumb things without getting hassled for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Volmarias posted:

It's realistic to expect some "broken tail light -> I smelled drugs" traffic stops and full searches to happen, but that doesn't make it right. "Idiot" may not be a protected class, but you should have the right to say dumb things without getting hassled for it.

Well yeah but cops are just like other people, only worse. Opportunists gonna take advantage of opportunity.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Right or not, the response to "the cops keep paying special attention to me" here is "stop antagonizing them".

... advice which would surely be ignored just as much as "stop buying candles" would be.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Right or not, the response to "the cops keep paying special attention to me" here is "stop antagonizing them".

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgfPHP1w0I

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

What? No. People need to stop saying dumb things and/or expecting to not get hassled for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4wxpw6/legality_of_calling_prosthetic_limbs/

quote:

Legality of calling prosthetic limbs unprofessional or prohibiting an employee from "showing" a prosthetic or it's outline under the dress code? (Virgina) (self.legaladvice)
submitted 3 days ago * by legal_throwaway_803
I have a question about if the following is legal to put in a dress code for a company that does office based work (so no safety concerns because it's not a warehouse or factory):
No employee shall be permitted to have any prosthetic limbs visible. Said employee's must wear closed shoes and pants with a wide leg so as not to render a prosthetic limb or its outline visible (no skirts are permitted). In the case of a prosthetic arm or hand, employees shall ensure that their sleeves are long enough and wide enough so as not to show the prosthesis or its outline. Any visible prosthetic or outline will be condsidered as unprofessional dress and will result in dicipline up to and including dismissal, without a warning being required.
Someone has worked there for 18 months and wears skirts every day. She has a prosthetic leg. The new company president authroized this addition to the dress code and the board is aware. Would it be legal for the company to fire her if she wore a skirt tomorrow and her prosthetic leg was showing? This occurred in the state of Virginia.

Asking for the world's easiest ADA lawsuit is both bad with money and bad with being a good human being.

Best part is that the targeted employee is a disabled veteran who received the injury during military service :stare:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Haha wow that company would get turbo hosed in a law suit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If that company has a lawyer and he reviewed that, he should be fired.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's so incredibly stupid that I don't really believe it's true.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's so incredibly stupid that I don't really believe it's true.

Having worked extensively with that master class of American "small, family run" business, the Franchised Car Dealer, I believe 100% of this story.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small businesses (and medium ones, hell) are really bad about this. My current company has a bunch of totally unenforceable poo poo in the employee handbook that would violate labor laws if actually enforced and my gf's company recently gave her a bonus on the condition that she sign something saying that she'll never sue for any violation by them of the ADA, civil rights act, or [insert 20 other laws and random qualifiers] even if she didn't know she had these rights violated at the time of signing, that she could never say anything about the company ever that would look bad in public even if it's true, and as an added bonus had a clause in it that said "you agree by signing that you can't use this contract in a court case as evidence for anything at all ever" which is just super lol.

She signed it anyway, took the money, and is looking for a new job because this company is pretty obviously doing something super loving illegal under the hood.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Small businesses (and medium ones, hell) are really bad about this. My current company has a bunch of totally unenforceable poo poo in the employee handbook that would violate labor laws if actually enforced and my gf's company recently gave her a bonus on the condition that she sign something saying that she'll never sue for any violation by them of the ADA, civil rights act, or [insert 20 other laws and random qualifiers] even if she didn't know she had these rights violated at the time of signing, that she could never say anything about the company ever that would look bad in public even if it's true, and as an added bonus had a clause in it that said "you agree by signing that you can't use this contract in a court case as evidence for anything at all ever" which is just super lol.

She signed it anyway, took the money, and is looking for a new job because this company is pretty obviously doing something super loving illegal under the hood.

I work for one of the biggest non-fortune 500 companies and even we have something similar.

If you get fired, we'll give you 2 months' pay if you sign a contract saying you won't sue the company for any reason and won't say anything negative about the company at any point in the future.

Wonder if it would actually hold up if we fired somebody for having a disability!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I work for one of the biggest non-fortune 500 companies and even we have something similar.

If you get fired, we'll give you 2 months' pay if you sign a contract saying you won't sue the company for any reason and won't say anything negative about the company at any point in the future.

Wonder if it would actually hold up if we fired somebody for having a disability!

I mean I was pretty sure you can't sign away explicit legal protections but then companies rolled out really drat crooked arbitration clauses and they've mostly been successful so I don't even know any more

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How egregious is the case against the corporation? How much would it take to settle some claim out of court? How much ammo does the entity, suing the corporation, have in their war chest?

Answer those three questions and then work the numbers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For stuff like that it probably says you are settling all claims against the company in exchange for the 2 months pay consideration. It would be an uphill battle for sure. Never sign anything when quitting unless they're giving you otherwise un-owed money!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I was reading my local rag at work the other day and stumbled across this one...

Son of mining millionaire is a horrible businessman, keeps making bad decisions, gets bailed out by his (billionaire) mum.

quote:

The borrowings and bad business dealings of the son of billionaire mining magnate Angela Bennett were laid bare in a Perth court yesterday — including him buying almost $250,000 worth of Italian jeans that ended up being donated to Good Samaritan.

Grant Bennett, son of Mrs Bennett and grandson of Lang Hancock’s late iron ore exploration partner Peter Wright, was declared bankrupt last year after a property deal based in Boddington landed him with a $10 million court claim from the family of Primo Smallgoods founder John Hunt.

Grant Bennett was declared bankrupt last year.

Yesterday, the trustee of that bankrupt estate publicly quizzed Mr Bennett in'''''' the Federal Court over the various business deals which led to his insolvency.

His media-shy mother, whose iron ore holdings are estimated to be worth about $1 billion, was not in court.

From the questions in court emerged some of Mr Bennett’s various business failings, including the deal with owners of WA’s chilli festival which imported the jeans from Italy but never saw them sold.

Eventually they were donated to the Good Sammies and Mr Bennett told the court that a $57,000 deduction on his tax return for that year was related to the donation.

The father of four admitted that many of his businesses ended up being wound up or given away for nothing as bankruptcy loomed. And even the insurance on his $2.5 million house in Mosman Park was paid for by his mum.

Other failed business ventures included a plan to sell VOIP technology to schools, to invest in solar technology and to explore for undersea diamonds — many of which were funded by Mrs Bennett, or her companies.

It was also revealed that Mr Bennett is now working directly for his mother, earning $90,000 to arrange the purchase and renovation of properties in WA and abroad, including a villa in Bali.

Mrs Bennett is not directly involved in her son’s expensive spat with Mr Hunt’s finance company JWH Nominees.

But the billionaire is slated to answer questions at court about her son’s bankruptcy in October.

Mr Bennett, 46, was in a Federal Court witness box for several hours explaining his actions before and after he declared bankruptcy, and details about his personal spending.

He said his 2007 Mitsubishi utility was lent to him by his mother.

The interrogation over the bankruptcy will continue today, with more questions for Mr Bennett and the quizzing of Craig Byron, chief financial officer at AMB Holdings, which houses Mrs Bennett’s interests.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What's a WA chillie festival. And why do they sell jeans there?

But either way this man in his 40s with 4 kids who can't live without his mother should probably not have reproduced.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 13, 2016

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Nail Rat posted:

What's a WA chillie festival. And why do they sell jeans there?

But either way this man in his 40s with 4 kids who can't live without his mother should probably not have reproduced.

WA = Western Australia. There's a festival for all things chilli (hot peppers?) that takes place in the port town of Fremantle every year. No idea why he'd try to sell jeans at a chilli festival, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Undersea diamond prospector sounds like the premise for a lovely video game kickstarter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never knew I had an Australian Chili Festival shaped hole in my heart, but I do now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dik Hz posted:

Undersea diamond prospector sounds like the premise for a lovely video game kickstarter.

Or an attempt at recovering a sunken submarine :tinfoil:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

froglet posted:

WA = Western Australia. There's a festival for all things chilli (hot peppers?) that takes place in the port town of Fremantle every year. No idea why he'd try to sell jeans at a chilli festival, though.

For the people who pissed themselves in fear over a hot pepper. Granted, that's probably a low volume of people, but these are high margin products so you'll be raking it in by the end of the day! :10bux: :madmax:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Basically Minecraft but you move really goddamn slow.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

severance is a big thing that's taken pretty seriously if you have a respectable career

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What's a "respectable career"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

:can:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nail Rat posted:

he means if you're rich

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Being happy with your profession while being able to pay the bills and save for the future?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

One that gives you severance!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Being happy with your profession while being able to pay the bills and save for the future?

No, that's called a "dream".

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"Respectable" is a subjective term. I'm a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE prick!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
From a dumb pregnancy app message board:

quote:

So my hubby works full time& I stay at home with our 7& 9 year old children& am pregnant with baby number 3 (due Jan) anyway, I'm the one who handles all of the finances& I noticed between the months of May& July hubby had spent almost $1,000 on a stupid game he plays on his phone!
After this he promised me he would not spend any more money on this game. Well I just checked our credit card statements& realized he spend another $200 this past week!
Part of me wants to not be mad at him (even though he lied to me!) because he does work his a** off& he doesn't really spend any money on himself (he obv can but chooses not to) he doesn't drink or smoke or go out with friends ever so that's really the only thing he spend money on himself for as far as recreational purposes.
BUT at the same time I feel like with 2 kids going back to school& a baby on the way (not to mention all the hefty bills we have accumulated over the past few months due to him being out of work for 6 weeks in May/June because of surgery) we are in no predicament whatsoever to be spending all this money on a game! I'm not the type of person to ever put my relationship or financial details out there but I really want others input on if i have the right to be mad or not.
I should also add that I also don't spend any money on myself as far as recreational purposes besides food (I mean I am pregnant& I can't help what I crave)& $12 once a month to get my eyebrows threaded. He does tell me all the time to go spend money on whatever I want but I'm the type of person who would rather pay off a credit card or buy something for my kids rather than spend money on myself.
Idk I just feel like right now our main focus should be paying off our credit card bills before the baby comes.
So what do you guys think? Am I wrong for being upset? Should I just let it go? Or should I just be upset that he lied to me& not so much about the money?
Another thing I will add is our children are very well taken care of, very spoiled actually so they NEVER go without& he would NEVER let them go without anything.

Some of the responses are...surprising.

quote:

It's not cool that he lied, but you did say he has no other recreational outlet so I think maybe you guys should sit down and budget for his game playing. It's okay if you don't want to spend money on yourself but I think it's unfair to expect your husband not to spend any money on himself for fun either.

quote:

My feeling is if you have any credit card debt whatsoever then spending $1200 on a game is wildly inappropriate. If you are debt free fine but with cards to pay off I would be extremely upset. Good luck.

Bonus :biotruths:

quote:

In my experience women are just wired differently then men like we a very aware of our income and bills and what we have for extra spending money also considering the fact that we would like to save for the future.... Men can Be air heads not all men but I think most . Maybe tell him if he's going to spend money like that on entertainment purposes you'd rather it be for a family outing like to the zoo or movies atleast then you would all enjoy it and it would be making memories instead of being flushed down the toilet.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

VendaGoat posted:

"Respectable" is a subjective term. I'm a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE prick!

:crossarms:

You know that that's just a word filter for "hth", right? You don't need to type it out and add more at the same time!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Weatherman posted:

:crossarms:

You know that that's just a word filter for "hth", right? You don't need to type it out and add more at the same time!

I'm just that big of a prick. Consult my post history.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
lol @ that guy, who thinks the handling of money has gender roles. Marriage will be a real wake-up call for him!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

defectivemonkey posted:

From a dumb pregnancy app message board:

Some of the responses are...surprising.

Bonus :biotruths:

That :biotruths: is especially great because if you just swap every reference to "men" with "women" and vice versa it becomes a stereotypical MRA argument :allears:

Also how the hell did the original person wind up with the habit of using & without a space before it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I'm just that big of a prick. Consult my post history.

All i know about you is when i was bored one day a few years ago and reading the ban list you had posted a banme thread wanting to leave the forums forever, guess that didn't work out?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

All i know about you is when i was bored one day a few years ago and reading the ban list you had posted a banme thread wanting to leave the forums forever, guess that didn't work out?

Alright, by your avatar I have laughed at a few of your posts.

"How" would you like me to respond to this?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Alright, by your avatar I have laughed at a few of your posts.

"How" would you like me to respond to this?

It wasn't meant to be a jab or something negative even though it totally sounded like it reading it back, I just literally had you listed under "guy who did a banme thread years ago that my brain has for some reason decided to record while forgetting where my loving keys are every day" and wanted to finally bring it up I guess :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

It wasn't meant to be a jab or something negative even though it totally sounded like it reading it back, I just literally had you listed under "guy who did a banme thread years ago that my brain has for some reason decided to record while forgetting where my loving keys are every day" and wanted to finally bring it up I guess :shobon:

:)

It's amazing what we are capable of, when pushed to do so.

• Locked thread