Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hunterhr posted:

Infantry is disturbingly hard to kill.

You can fire one round and knock out a tank. And spend two days firing artillery on a hill and some of those fuckers will still be alive.

Their inner ears would be tomato soup and their nerves would be some combination of shattered and frayed. I mean even if they're entrenched they're getting a pretty good concussion effect hitting them from most of those shells, and assuming you're just pouring a WWI-style barrage on them where you have a bunch of guns firing once every few seconds, you're putting a serious hurting on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Happy Nuke Day Two: Nagasaki Boogaloo, everyone.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

FAUXTON posted:

Their inner ears would be tomato soup

Ooh! What sort of ear protection have soldiers had historically? I sure wouldn't want to be one of these poor motherfuckers

When did we go from fingers in ears to issued wads of cotton to rubber plugs to the modern electronic stuff? I guess when I say "soldier", I mostly mean artillerymen, since my understanding is even today many infantry forgo hearing protection outside of training, because they would rather be able to hear faint noises now, and live with the tinnitus later. But what about the guys shooting cannons in 1650?

Koesj posted:

This is not TFR. What is the historical point you're trying to make or at least address?

Don't trust stated effective range of a rifle, it is a very imprecise measurement at best, and completely worthless if it is based on unrepeatable testing.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 9, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

JaucheCharly posted:

I'd like to hear more about modern counter-counter battery

Do we keep stacking "counter-" to it till artillery on the whole front tied in exploding their counterparts?

FAUXTON posted:

Their inner ears would be tomato soup and their nerves would be some combination of shattered and frayed. I mean even if they're entrenched they're getting a pretty good concussion effect hitting them from most of those shells, and assuming you're just pouring a WWI-style barrage on them where you have a bunch of guns firing once every few seconds, you're putting a serious hurting on them.

And that's without the "fun" toys this thread keeps talking about. It seems the only place left for infantry is the city (unless the enemy decided to level that, too).

On a somewhat unrelated matter, just finished watching A Bridge Too Far :stare:

On an even less related matter, how good is this reading suggestion list in the first answer?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

A Bridge Too Far is a great movie. Gotta love the scene where that British paratrooper almost makes it back with a canister of spare berets.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So here's a big, complicated question for the experts in the thread: What can you tell me about military doctrine around the world in the 19th century - say, just before the Franco-Prussian War? I know for instance that the French military was pretty well-respected before it got thoroughly trounced at Sedan, but what exactly about them was respected? How did the French at that point approach warfare, and what did they believe was the secret to their success? Across the Channel, what was the British take on warfare? I've heard they had a tendency to sort of "muddle along" for a good long time, but were they really completely disorganized or did they have anything at all approaching a unified method of military thinking? And across the Atlantic, did the Americans turn any of the lessons of the Civil War into an official military doctrine which they used later on? Did the Europeans pick up anything at all from that playbook, if there was one? What were the Austrians and Russians up to in terms of military thinking at that point? When Qing China and the Japanese tried to modernize, which schools of military thought were they most influenced by, and did they add any notable twists of their own?

I don't expect to get all of these questions answered since, well, there's a lot of them and I imagine some of these questions are good for a whole thesis on their own, but anything at all would be very interesting!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

JcDent posted:

Do we keep stacking "counter-" to it till artillery on the whole front tied in exploding their counterparts?

That wasn't a joke. Bewbies posted about this a few pages back and it's super interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

A Bridge Too Far is a great movie. Gotta love the scene where that British paratrooper almost makes it back with a canister of spare berets.
It's probably the movie which most explains my giant nerd boner for milhist and Market Garden in general. Showing it to preteen boys is dangerous. So many great actors in it, and the number of memorable moments is huge.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arquinsiel posted:

It's probably the movie which most explains my giant nerd boner for milhist and Market Garden in general. Showing it to preteen boys is dangerous. So many great actors in it, and the number of memorable moments is huge.

Me too. Airborne are by far my favourite units to learn about from the Second World War, and it's largely the fault of that film. My favourite character was Major Carlyle and his umbrella.

The attention to detail was astonishing too, all the way down to British soldiers throwing grenades like you'd bowl in cricket.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Speaking of epic WW2 movies with Sean Connery in them, I watched The Longest Day the other day. I think it was actually spurred by a mention in this thread. It's quite good, though not as good a A Bridge Too Far. It won an Oscar for cinematography which didn't come as a surprise, watching the harbour scene.

The scene of the Germans seeing the invasion fleet appear in the horizon was also good. Rear projection is still surprisingly effective.

It also has the distinction of having both a James Bond and two Bond villains (Gert Fröbe and Curd Jürgens) in it.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 9, 2015

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

JcDent posted:

And that's without the "fun" toys this thread keeps talking about. It seems the only place left for infantry is the city (unless the enemy decided to level that, too).

It's sort of worth noting that this doesn't apply in an actual conflict between states, where one side can't pick and choose where they want to fight and how they want to do it. Sure, you can kill some dudes really good with rocket artillery, aerial bombardment and PGM's but you can't do that to every single one of them if you're actually fighting in a way that there's something resembling parity of force.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

The attention to detail was astonishing too, all the way down to British soldiers throwing grenades like you'd bowl in cricket.
When I was taught cricket in school we were taught to bowl as if throwing a grenade. Funny how things come full circle like that.

Antti posted:

Speaking of epic WW2 movies with Sean Connery in them, I watched The Longest Day the other day. I think it was actually spurred by a mention in this thread. It's quite good, though not as good a A Bridge Too Far. It won an Oscar for cinematography which didn't come as a surprise, watching the harbour scene.

The scene of the Germans seeing the invasion fleet appear in the horizon was also good. Rear projection is still surprisingly effective.

It also has the distinction of having both a James Bond and two Bond villains (Gert Fröbe and Curd Jürgens) in it.
Even more impressive a distinction, the guy standing beside Major Howard at Pegasus Bridge when Lord Lovat turns up with the Commando relief force in reality ended up playing Major Howard for the film. Yet MORE impressive is that the Ranger who freeclimbed the cliff at Pointe du Hoc is played by the guy who actually made the climb on D-day.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, Richard Todd. Veterans playing themselves or in a movie covering a operation they were themselves in is one of my favourite movie trivia categories.

Also Richard Burton has a brief role as a British Flight Officer because he was bored at the time and wanted something to do.

The movie is mostly sober but it has a kind of cavalier attitude to some things that stands out in 2015. Like the surrendering Germans being gunned down and the American marine asking "What does bitte, bitte mean?" and it being treated as no big deal, or the Frenchman who is ecstatic as his house is shelled to pieces (and he of course survives).

Oh and the Finnish variant of baseball was supposedly created as a training exercise in running from cover to cover and throwing grenades.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 9, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was taught cricket in school we were taught to bowl as if throwing a grenade. Funny how things come full circle like that.

I remember my dad saying that when he was in basic he was specifically told "throw it like a baseball, not the dumb way they do it in movies."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Antti posted:

Yeah, Richard Todd. Veterans playing themselves or in a movie covering a operation they were themselves in is one of my favourite movie trivia categories.

Also Richard Burton has a brief role as a British Flight Officer because he was bored at the time and wanted something to do.

The movie is mostly sober but it has a kind of cavalier attitude to some things that stands out in 2015. Like the surrendering Germans being gunned down and the American marine asking "What does bitte, bitte mean?" and it being treated as no big deal, or the Frenchman who is ecstatic as his house is shelled to pieces (and he of course survives).
I'm pretty sure that scene is from Saving Private Ryan.

Edit: the German prisoners being gunned that is, the longest day is as sanitized view of war as they come.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 9, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I remember my dad saying that when he was in basic he was specifically told "throw it like a baseball, not the dumb way they do it in movies."

Basically, the way you want to throw a grenade is so that it goes as far away from you as possible.

From what I've been lead to believe, grenades are hugely unreliable weapons at the best of times.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was taught cricket in school

Such a palesman

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Endman posted:

Basically, the way you want to throw a grenade is so that it goes as far away from you as possible.

From what I've been lead to believe, grenades are hugely unreliable weapons at the best of times.

Seems like the best way to do that would be to throw it like a third baseman does, and not like an outfielder. Hopping with the throw would be a bad idea on a battlefield.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They could shoot down the UAV... then counter-battery the arty

I finished a paper on this exact topic last week. Basically...this would be great, but actually doing it is close to impossible given current equipment/doctrine/training.

First, for the UAV, there's a fairly wide range of systems that are basically something close to untouchable (or at least not defeatable) right now. They fly too low and slow for fixed wing or heavy SAMs, their thermal signature is too small for any MANPADS, they have sensors that are so good they can do their surveillance mission well outside the range of any direct fire system, they're very hard to detect with any sensor (particularly radar), they're cheap, borderline expendable, and all over the place.

For counterfire, artillery systems now are so lethal, accurate and mobile that 1) the first volley is usually all that they need to accomplish a given mission, 2) even with a quality grid provided by CF radar, they've probably moved by the time the counterfire mission is in the air.

In other words, it is a seriously tough nut to crack. The biggest first step (from the US military's perspective at least) is to get back on the horse of old-timey Cold War style passive air defense (camo, concealment, deception) which we haven't done in like 30 years. A longer term solution to the artillery issue is pre-emptive counterfire, which sounds sort of like an oxymoron but it just means you try really hard to target threat artillery systems and sustainment before anything gets shot at you, because one it has been shot you're in serious trouble.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 9, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keldoclock posted:

O?

Don't trust stated effective range of a rifle, it is a very imprecise measurement at best, and completely worthless if it is based on unrepeatable testing.
No the effective range of a rifle is very tested using very repeatable measures. Militaries arms companies and governments have huge tech and r&ad sections that do this a lot. It's fairly easy testing. What leads to limitations that are more unpredictable are the skills of the individual shooter and the environment they are shooting in. A man proned out and resting his rifle on a sand bag in calm surroundings is going to be much more accurate than a standing man who is being shot at DNS shelled. That is basically an unmeasurable quantity however which is why guns are tested for mechanical accuracy and the distance the projectile is still lethal.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I'm pretty sure that scene is from Saving Private Ryan.

Edit: the German prisoners being gunned that is, the longest day is as sanitized view of war as they come.

They're prisoners in Saving Private Ryan, but in The Longest Day they are coming out of a bunker with their hands raised, shouting "Bitte!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They do the exact same bit in the landing scene in Ryan

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Antti posted:

They're prisoners in Saving Private Ryan, but in The Longest Day they are coming out of a bunker with their hands raised, shouting "Bitte!"

In Saving Private Ryan, they aren't even Germans, IIRC.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cyrano4747 posted:

They do the exact same bit in the landing scene in Ryan

The surrendering soldier they shoot in that scene is shouting in Czech, "Don't shoot! We're Czechs! We didn't hurt anybody!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"To hell and back" is THE war veteran in a starring role movie, and frankly I'm disappointed no one has mentioned it yet. :colbert:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

And nobody has mentioned fruity rudy yet either! :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bewbies posted:

I finished a paper on this exact topic last week. Basically...this would be great, but actually doing it is close to impossible given current equipment/doctrine/training.

First, for the UAV, there's a fairly wide range of systems that are basically something close to untouchable (or at least not defeatable) right now. They fly too low and slow for fixed wing or heavy SAMs, their thermal signature is too small for any MANPADS, they have sensors that are so good they can do their surveillance mission well outside the range of any direct fire system, they're very hard to detect with any sensor (particularly radar), they're cheap, borderline expendable, and all over the place.

For counterfire, artillery systems now are so lethal, accurate and mobile that 1) the first volley is usually all that they need to accomplish a given mission, 2) even with a quality grid provided by CF radar, they've probably moved by the time the counterfire mission is in the air.

In other words, it is a seriously tough nut to crack. The biggest first step (from the US military's perspective at least) is to get back on the horse of old-timey Cold War style passive air defense (camo, concealment, deception) which we haven't done in like 30 years. A longer term solution to the artillery issue is pre-emptive counterfire, which sounds sort of like an oxymoron but it just means you try really hard to target threat artillery systems and sustainment before anything gets shot at you, because one it has been shot you're in serious trouble.

Is there a publicly available article on this stuff available on the Web somewhere?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tomn posted:

So here's a big, complicated question for the experts in the thread: What can you tell me about military doctrine around the world in the 19th century - say, just before the Franco-Prussian War? I know for instance that the French military was pretty well-respected before it got thoroughly trounced at Sedan, but what exactly about them was respected? How did the French at that point approach warfare, and what did they believe was the secret to their success? Across the Channel, what was the British take on warfare? I've heard they had a tendency to sort of "muddle along" for a good long time, but were they really completely disorganized or did they have anything at all approaching a unified method of military thinking? And across the Atlantic, did the Americans turn any of the lessons of the Civil War into an official military doctrine which they used later on? Did the Europeans pick up anything at all from that playbook, if there was one? What were the Austrians and Russians up to in terms of military thinking at that point? When Qing China and the Japanese tried to modernize, which schools of military thought were they most influenced by, and did they add any notable twists of their own?

I don't expect to get all of these questions answered since, well, there's a lot of them and I imagine some of these questions are good for a whole thesis on their own, but anything at all would be very interesting!

I'd like to know that too, especially regarding the post Napoleonic evolution of both the French and Prussian armies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That'd be a fascinating thing (and monumental task to write up) to read about. If anyone here with the knowledge feels like they can take on that task I''d also read it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keldoclock posted:

When did we go from fingers in ears to issued wads of cotton to rubber plugs to the modern electronic stuff? I guess when I say "soldier", I mostly mean artillerymen, since my understanding is even today many infantry forgo hearing protection outside of training, because they would rather be able to hear faint noises now, and live with the tinnitus later. But what about the guys shooting cannons in 1650?

The Odyssey mentions Odysseus and his men fashioning earplugs of wax to avoid the song of Sirens, so dedicated hearing protection is literally ancient. I've found many accounts online of people finding/owning rubber earplugs from just about every belligerent in WW2, but I can't find a source with actual photos or documentation of them. They would have only been really issued or worn by naval gun crews and artillery crews, and as disposable items probably would have run out and/or become unserviceable pretty fast.

The first patented earmuff design was from 1873, but they were just for the cold weather. Someone writing on Wikipedia claimed that Willson Safety Products invented protective earmuffs, but I can't find any evidence of that or even a rough date range. I think electronic earmuffs for the military (which filter noise based on volume so you can at least try to hear normally with them on) date back to around the late 1990s?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Never mind that with primary sources, context matters a lot. Recently me and my friend were discussing a letter written by Johan Adler Salvius in the 1630's where he describes how poor the leadership of Swedish Marshal Åke Tott is. The popular interpretation is that Tott was a lovely general, but I've always figured that Salvius is actually saying "this guy is really sick with gout and his lungs are rotten and you should not have him lead armies."
that dude owns for the sole and simple reason that because his name sounds like the german word for death all his company flags had skulls on them

back from stabbing/getting stabbed by czechs this weekend, and i had a chance to measure the leaf points on some of our pikes. they are the length of my hand and the width of my palm.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 9, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endman posted:

That exact thing happened in real life, only the paratrooper survived.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SeanBeansShako posted:

That'd be a fascinating thing (and monumental task to write up) to read about. If anyone here with the knowledge feels like they can take on that task I''d also read it.

Imperial Bayonets is the book that deals with something like that, no? I saw on /hwg/ during the weekend.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That exact thing happened in real life, only the paratrooper survived.

Jesus, that's wonderful!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Happy Nuke Day Two: Nagasaki Boogaloo, everyone.

Can someone repost that analysis about how/why the US chose to use the atomic bomb the way they did, and how/why that along with the Soviet declaration of war and invasion of Manchuria influenced the final Japanese decision to surrender? I remember reading that either here or in the airpower/cold war thread and thinking it very interesting.

Also does anybody have more information about the Kyujo Incident? I've been seeing that name more recently and I'd like to hear some professional opinions about whether it was as potentially world-shaking as online sources say.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For those who haven't read the wonderful story of Major Allison Digby Tatham-Warter (the officer with the umbrella), this page is a good way to rectify that failing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

Can someone repost that analysis about how/why the US chose to use the atomic bomb the way they did, and how/why that along with the Soviet declaration of war and invasion of Manchuria influenced the final Japanese decision to surrender? I remember reading that either here or in the airpower/cold war thread and thinking it very interesting.

Also does anybody have more information about the Kyujo Incident? I've been seeing that name more recently and I'd like to hear some professional opinions about whether it was as potentially world-shaking as online sources say.

Yes somebody please post this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

There's a really bad thread on D&D about it but someone might have made a good post on it there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Davin Valkri posted:

Short answer: the invasion of Okinawa demonstrated pretty conclusively that invading the home islands was going to be a horrific bloodbath for everyone involved, so an alternative that would induce the Japanese to surrender without an invasion was badly needed.

The bombings accomplished that.

If you want more detail see the D&D thread TheLoveablePlutonis referenced.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Short answer: the invasion of Okinawa demonstrated pretty conclusively that invading the home islands was going to be a horrific bloodbath for everyone involved, so an alternative that would induce the Japanese to surrender without an invasion was badly needed.

The bombings accomplished that.

If you want more detail see the D&D thread TheLoveablePlutonis referenced.

It should be noted that prior to the nuclear bombing, there was basically a battle of planners who took inspiration from the battle of Luzon, and the planners extrapolating from Okinawa. Because of the way history played out, we'll never learn who was right (for instance a significant number of casualties in some plans was attributed to kamikaze pilots, with casualties per a kamikaze sortie ranging between 1.5 and 2.0 - yet others claimed improved anti-kamikaze doctrine combined with a general deterioration of the quality of the Japanese air force would lead to a drastic reduction in casualties), but the projected casualties o the American side ranged from some 30.000 in the first 30 days of invasion (as per the first McArthur commissioned report) to anything between 100.000 to a million. Quite frankly, nobody had an idea. The Japanese civilians would be mobilized, but frankly, by the time the invasion came to be, the best weapons issued to the civilians were firelock guns looted from museums, and most people only received either bamboo spears, or common civilian tools and were told to improvise with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Additionally in his address to the imperial council, Hirohito explicitly calls out that beach defenses that were to completed months ago still weren't finished.

• Locked thread