Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

i say swears online posted:

“The good news is, when you look at the numbers, no one under the age of 20 has died of the coronavirus,” said Cornyn, a Republican. “We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others.”

This is bullshit, a 6-month-old died in our county just last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

how you doin btw

Much better. Back at work (from home) today after 2 weeks of dealing with illness.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oh good now we can have a few pages of arguing over if the chronicle is actually the third largest paper in the us again.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sab0921 posted:

Much better. Back at work (from home) today after 2 weeks of dealing with illness.

:nice:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

oh good now we can have a few pages of arguing over if the chronicle is actually the third largest paper in the us again.

what if "largest" means "it's an inch and a half thick"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

“The good news is, when you look at the numbers, no one under the age of 20 has died of the coronavirus,” said Cornyn, a Republican. “We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others.”

Okay, that's just a straight-up lie.

https://abc13.com/baby-dies-from-coronavirus-corpus-christi-nuces-county-death-covid/6311428/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/health/teen-death-coronavirus-wellness-partner/index.html
https://www.foxnews.com/health/indiana-teen-dies-of-coronavirus-we-have-lost-a-bright-and-beautiful-shining-light
https://people.com/health/high-risk-florida-teen-dies-coronavirus-after-100-person-church-party/ (that one's a murder)

There is a general trend of the young having a much lower fatality rate, which is pretty unusual for these super deadly diseases, (and I won't lie, I've had a few thoughts as to some boomers that the world might be better off without) but everybody extrapolating that into the young being somehow immune is wrong.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Okay, that's just a straight-up lie.

It was a bald-faced lie when he said it last week, each day that goes by it just becomes more transparent that it was a bald-faced lie.

Given what's statistically likely to happen with child infections and deaths in Texas once we put much of the state's children back into shared rooms next month, either Cornyn really has gone full COVID truther, or he's making some very strange strategic decisions about messaging in a election year. I can already hear the campaign ad that West or Hegar's people will make about this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i mean, i too hope that he's voted out in november over this, but what if he isn't? he's flailing and making poo poo up to sacrifice his constituents on the altar of profit, and it's backed up by a base whose brains he helped turn to mush in previous decades. the man deserves to be drug out into the street and beaten to death by a mob, parody satire

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

It was a bald-faced lie when he said it last week, each day that goes by it just becomes more transparent that it was a bald-faced lie.

Given what's statistically likely to happen with child infections and deaths in Texas once we put much of the state's children back into shared rooms next month, either Cornyn really has gone full COVID truther, or he's making some very strange strategic decisions about messaging in a election year. I can already hear the campaign ad that West or Hegar's people will make about this.

Don't worry, as Texas Dems you'll never see this kind of effective ad from them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

I guess all those people saying it was just the flu were right!!!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well I guess I sure don't envy the tactical calculations that you have to go through to stay part of the Republican party right now. You have to be ready to carry the party lines to stay in, and it's probably been harder and harder to keep up with the more radical stances that the party has taken over the last few decades. Back in the 90s, having a stance on taxes was spicy enough to get recognition, but now you have to manage a set of dogwhistles to be clearly tolerant of racists, but not too explicitly tolerant if you want your foot in the door for another party shift, and you have to be ready to sing praise to your appointed pissbaby god, but everything he commands is an explicitly terrible idea.

And then I think the fact that there's such a delicate line to walk to stay a republican is also what has sustained the moderate-extremist democrats while they were fending off the progressive wing of the party. They've been desperately trying to court conservatives who don't want much change, but are also uncomfortable about the violent hatred required to sustain oppression.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Badger of Basra posted:

I guess all those people saying it was just the flu were right!!!

It's a weird disease - I've had the flu and COVID was much worse for me. But for my son - COVID was way easier than the flu. It was almost nothing for him, just a couple of days of minor fever and he was fine - you would never know anything was wrong based on his behavior.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well I guess I sure don't envy the tactical calculations that you have to go through to stay part of the Republican party right now. You have to be ready to carry the party lines to stay in, and it's probably been harder and harder to keep up with the more radical stances that the party has taken over the last few decades. Back in the 90s, having a stance on taxes was spicy enough to get recognition, but now you have to manage a set of dogwhistles to be clearly tolerant of racists, but not too explicitly tolerant if you want your foot in the door for another party shift, and you have to be ready to sing praise to your appointed pissbaby god, but everything he commands is an explicitly terrible idea.

And then I think the fact that there's such a delicate line to walk to stay a republican is also what has sustained the moderate-extremist democrats while they were fending off the progressive wing of the party. They've been desperately trying to court conservatives who don't want much change, but are also uncomfortable about the violent hatred required to sustain oppression.

People no more choose to be Republicans than they choose to be pieces of poo poo, that is to say, being a Republican didn't make them a piece of poo poo, but being a piece of poo poo made them Republicans. If they could actually make such calculations and had some capacity for insight and the ability to reject cognitive dissonance, they already wouldn't be Republicans.

https://twitter.com/lara_korte/status/1282715465102626817
Yeah I didn't figure they'd get rid of the song.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the tactical calculations that are necessary to stay a part of your political party lead you to tweet out misinformation and conspiracy theories about a pandemic that's ravaging your constituency, then you deserve absolutely no sympathy for the strategic pickle you're in, and your party should be burned to the ground. (I think I'm just inelegantly restating zoux's point.)

But the thing is, those tactical calculations still don't explain Cornyn's attitude. He doesn't have to worry about another primary for almost six years. He's the #2 Republican in the Senate, he doesn't have to worry about getting dicked over for committee assignments and whatnot. He's only got to worry about a statewide general election in a state that is getting more purple. So why play footsie with know-nothing COVID-deniers? How does hanging the children out to dry do anything but help the other side? Even if you don't want to be seen agreeing with the Democrats on anything pertaining to the pandemic, how is tweeting out insane, easily-disproven misinformation a better strategy than simply shutting the gently caress up?

Even under the twisted calculus that comes with operating in the Trump GOP, Cornyn's tweets and public stances still don't make sense, strategically. Cruz is a despicable weasel but you don't see him tweeting out quite the same kooky stuff as Cornyn. Abbott is an abject coward who is subject to the same party pressures, and yet he manages to pay some lip service to the pandemic's seriousness. John Cornyn is at no risk of getting tossed out of Trump's GOP as long as he keeps a low profile, and yet he's still out there spouting malicious, willfully ignorant poo poo that could get Texans killed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Any slight against Houston, salsa fills our veins and we grow turgid. Passive aggressive posting ensues.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mayor Turner now publicly calling on Abbott for a minimum two-week shutdown:
https://twitter.com/SylvesterTurner/status/1282774971916464129

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

what if "largest" means "it's an inch and a half thick"

:wink:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1282785454090330114

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I had one person ask if they could come over after they found out I had COVID. People are very stupid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
got a full on emergency alert in Harris County basically just reminding us COVID's an emergency and we really should be staying in. Don't think we've had one before.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

got a full on emergency alert in Harris County basically just reminding us COVID's an emergency and we really should be staying in. Don't think we've had one before.

its nice seeing businesses actually enforce the mask thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/wxmanvic/status/1282808403757342726

Why does anyone live here

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

where else are Permian graduates with money supposed to go

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/taylalanae_/status/1281986394248720385

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

where else are Permian graduates with money supposed to go

I mean the whole goddamn state

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1282793859114766342

https://twitter.com/NWSSanAntonio/status/1282776774888361984

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm sure this heat will be what kills the virus

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You joke, but I'm sure that's a part of certain people's platforms and arguments

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
loving lol. I currently have two friends with their families who just flew up to Montana, separately, and another one I think in Idaho. Then another friend who has a house in Jackson says basically, if you weren't already there, don't go, because the locals are loving pissed at people flying in and out all the time (he hasn't gone).

In fairness, it's hardly only us. Every rich person in America has a house in one of these mountain states. Still, lolol.

---

Overheard at the gas station today in what used to be Alta Loma, I think - old school redneck (non-threatening variety) to Pakistani store clerk:

quote:

"Well I'll be glad when they stop with this nonsense. It don't amount to a thing."

"Yes sir."

"It's like I told 'em, there only two ways to get to heaven; You gotta buy the farm or thin the herd."

"Yes sir."
Of the many hobgoblins that haunt the redneck mind, not to be found are internal consistency, logic, etc. It's mostly images of things to do with old tires, burning trash, giant tailpipes and suchlike.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fort Bend ISD just announced online only

And no football, meanwhile Katy ISD is practicing today

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 14, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Look, you don't just throw a Super 5A program down the drain over the flu. These boys has done spent years of two a days to get this far.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

it used to be cheap

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

of course there’s chicken pox/bugchaser AIDS parties for COVID now

cov my neg hole

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of my apartment neighbors (Mansfield) had a new sticker on his car today: the Calvin meme, and in this one Calvin was pissing on the words “face masks.” So.....that’s a thing, I guess.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Fort Bend ISD just announced online only

And no football, meanwhile Katy ISD is practicing today

My kids' district, Montgomery, still insists they will be having face-to-face instruction next month. Can't loving wait for that.

Took a free Covid test yesterday and got results today it was negative so that's some good news.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

zoux posted:

People no more choose to be Republicans than they choose to be pieces of poo poo, that is to say, being a Republican didn't make them a piece of poo poo, but being a piece of poo poo made them Republicans. If they could actually make such calculations and had some capacity for insight and the ability to reject cognitive dissonance, they already wouldn't be Republicans.

https://twitter.com/lara_korte/status/1282715465102626817
Yeah I didn't figure they'd get rid of the song.

Yeah I meant to comment on this earlier but then Lowtax went and did a violence on a woman and I forgot. But yeah, there was no loving way in hell UT was gonna change the Eyes. That was the one thing on those players’ list of demands that had less than zero chance of happening; everything else was easy.

Which, in my uneducated opinion, is fine. A few dumbass white honky kids deciding to premiere the song in blackface 100+ years ago seems like a shaky rear end reason to get rid of it entirely. Also Texas fans are super loving obsessed with the Eyes, like seriously. They shoehorn the tune of it into every song they possibly can. I was in the band and I can think of at least 6 other traditional songs they play off the top of my head that prominently feature the Eyes tune, one of which is the school fight song, and another 4 or 5 of which are just rewrites of the whole song in different styles. That poo poo ain’t goin’ away any time soon.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 14, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Look, you don't just throw a Super 5A program down the drain over the flu. These boys has done spent years of two a days to get this far.

Its 6A now, get it together old man

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
One of my skateboarding buddies died last night from Covid-19. RIP Scotty, you were a real one.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Any slight against Houston, salsa fills our veins and we grow turgid. Passive aggressive posting ensues.

Proper chili is made with juffo-wup.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saw another anti-west ad paid for by cornyn today. it was just shots of every drat black politician in the state and i felt it may have been a lil racist. but i can't find it on youtube!

i did, however, find this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZW2CSFr-8w

god bless texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

whatever happened to kinky friedman