Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm always amused when writers don't get how people shorten words, because ChanPal SuRecon Center is not a natural way to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mllaneza posted:

The serial killer schtick in the Prequel reviews served two primary purposes. One, an openly brutal mockery of the Star Wars fans who take it too seriously. Second, to show that they can write and produce a deeper relationship than Lucas did. That's them deflecting the expected criticism a lot of critics get - they can critique but not create. They're making an overly long and detailed breakdown of the latest entries in a beloved film series, they were always going to get a lot of flack no matter how they presented it.

The first may have been gratuitous but was sometimes funny. The second I think they actually pulled off. It's twisted and hosed up, but it's more believable than Padme and Anakin.

It was a failure on both counts, it just made them look like hacks and turned people off of the videos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the whole ongoing stories/skits era of internet entertainment really hasn't aged well. Running gags are all good as long as you don't wear em out, but especially nowadays you can't expect people to be watching everything in order. Especially because early material is usually pretty rough.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Moon Monster posted:

It was a failure on both counts, it just made them look like hacks and turned people off of the videos.

Im not sure you can say they turned people off. They were never going to grab everyone but they were wildly successful for good or for ill. I mean for years you basically couldn't discuss the prequels without someone basically copying their arguments word for word like it was their own idea (this actually isn't a good thing just trying to emphasize how drat popular they were).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I vaguely recall the root of the whole personality and back-plot for the Plinkett reviews before even the Star Wars ones, even back to the Trek ones. Essentially, the level of pedantry Mike wanted to go into to make his point (specifically, that the TNG movies were all terrible and ignored what made TNG good, and that was its most obvious during the smallest moments) just didn't feel right when put in his normal tone, it sounded like some nerd was lecturing you about something only he cared about. He needed a way to make it go down easier, and somehow he landed on 'only a crazy person actually cares this much about this, so I'll do this as a crazy person'.

It's a very strange way to solve his problem, and I do think the overall storyline of the skits take away from it, although I can't deny that he solved his problem, and does have some pretty solid one-off jokes. "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is the most disappointing thing since my son" still stands as one of my favorite opening lines for a Youtube video. And while he didn't really find the best solution for the problem with that, he undeniably found one, the early Plinkett reviews still stand as some of the more tolerable 'pedantic nerd reviewers' of that era, largely because they do have self-awareness that making a video like this is not normal or cool.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Dec 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That does make sense when put that way, the level of detachment that turns an angry pedantic nerd rant into a funny nerd rant. Pretty much every successful channel does something like that; silly voices, animations and gags, or just treating it more like a show than a review, which also increases your audience since people who like your gimmick and/or sense of humour may keep watching episodes even if they're not familiar with or interested in the topic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That does make sense when put that way, the level of detachment that turns an angry pedantic nerd rant into a funny nerd rant. Pretty much every successful channel does something like that; silly voices, animations and gags, or just treating it more like a show than a review, which also increases your audience since people who like your gimmick and/or sense of humour may keep watching episodes even if they're not familiar with or interested in the topic.

I also think that a lot of channels like that these days are generally more positive, and/or more intentioned, than they used to be. 'Let me tell you about why I like this one random comic artist from the eighties' is a generally more appealing video to watch than 'here's why this random comic you've never heard of is awful', and generally if someone is making a video about why X sucks, they've got more of an opening thesis than 'X sucks' (for example, Lindsay Ellis does generally have a much more cogent title than 'thing bad', even when she is talking about why a specific thing, indeed, bad).

Even Red Letter Media have generally changed direction closer to that sort of thing; I think re:View is essentially their way to cater to what would've at one point been Plinkett reviews. Just a chance to make a long-ish video talking about a specific movie or TV show, this time trading the 'unhinged rant' for a conversational approach that can still hit the same points.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Granted now we've gone and sling shotted the other way and you see a lot of "Why thing I like is really important" and its some unremarkable show from the 80s 5 people remember.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im not sure you can say they turned people off.
Well, I'm just one person, but I started watching one of their prequel reviews (back when everyone was talking about them) and found the serial killer stuff dumb and off-putting and stopped watching and have, to this day, never watched any of their videos. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and giving even stuff you don't like a more sympathetic/even handed approach also increases your potential audiences so you don't necessarily alienate people who like it.

What Happened is a favourite of mine and I think gets interesting because they try to go into exactly what turned out bad about a work and trying to piece together how it turned out that way. (and often the answer is 'it was a miracle they managed to make anything at all')

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Well, I'm just one person, but I started watching one of their prequel reviews (back when everyone was talking about them) and found the serial killer stuff dumb and off-putting and stopped watching and have, to this day, never watched any of their videos. :shrug:

I mean if it didn't work for you thats fine but they garnered literally millions of views from those and presently have almost 10k people on Patreon. If they took a dryer approach that likely would have turned other people off and if they took a generally more positive approach that wouldn't work for some. If it didn't work for you I believe you but it's not representative of turning many people off.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and giving even stuff you don't like a more sympathetic/even handed approach also increases your potential audiences so you don't necessarily alienate people who like it.

What Happened is a favourite of mine and I think gets interesting because they try to go into exactly what turned out bad about a work and trying to piece together how it turned out that way. (and often the answer is 'it was a miracle they managed to make anything at all')

Case in point I don't enjoy what happened because of the over the top personality of the host. The energy is just a bit too much for me and I prefer a much more subdued approach. Butit works for many people and just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it "drives people away".

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Dec 15, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Matt's definitely got a very specific energy that permeates What Happened videos (it's no surprise he's friends with the Stop Skeletons From Fighting team, who have a similar infectious enthusiasm), and while it doesn't always work the best it could--the Guy Game probably deserved a bit less enthusiasm and a bit more open contempt, for example--it does mean that he always manages to bring some excitement, even to stories that aren't all that juicy. There's not actually much going on with the story of Big Rigs, but he can still carry it the whole way through.

For a random spotlight on someone good at this sort of thing, I will highlight Todd in the Shadows. It might be because he's very experienced at this, or that because he reviews pop music he has to modulate his tone quite a lot, but I feel like he gives every review the respect (or lack thereof) it deserves. He'll treat the Beach Boys as the tarnished legacy they are, Robin Thicke as a total skeeze, and Yello as fascinatingly weird genius, and none of it rings phony, hollow, or unnecessarily light or heavy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CinemaSins is dogshit and obnoxious about how bad movies are, CinemaWins is wholesome and sometimes educational about the good parts of even bad movies.

CinemaSins feels like the Maddox era of the Internet and that poo poo was played out long ago.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bussamove posted:

Wheel of the Worst is extremely hit or miss but almost worth it for when they find something so bizarre they don't even know what to do with it. Like the Japanese hardcore Christian video about barcodes being the mark of the beast that ended with everyone running off to live in a nature commune and then getting rapture'd (?)
To bring it back around, the videos are advertisements for horrible cult The Family International. Have the barcode one in English:
https://youtu.be/0RfU5r63AXY
And another pile of crazy bullshit timestamped to my favourite crazy bullshit:
https://youtu.be/nGn2xWdQ6C8?t=1360

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I won't lie though horrid as the motivations behind it might be, that barcode song is a banger and is definitely good marketing.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
on the other side of "overly enthusiastic pedantic youtuber" is Sideways, who gets so incredibly excited about film music that I genuinely love his content. Every video sounds like he genuinely cares about what he's talking about and he really wants you to understand why it's incredibly cool.

seconding Todd in the Shadows too, he's funny in his constant annoyance and sarcasm but you can tell he cares about the content and respects music for what it is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RagnarokAngel posted:

I won't lie though horrid as the motivations behind it might be, that barcode song is a banger and is definitely good marketing.
I've been vibing on Cathy Don't Go since before it was cool :smug: But seriously click the second link the timestamped song duo are bad songs but blow cathy out of the water for sheer what the christ

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im not sure you can say they turned people off. They were never going to grab everyone but they were wildly successful for good or for ill. I mean for years you basically couldn't discuss the prequels without someone basically copying their arguments word for word like it was their own idea (this actually isn't a good thing just trying to emphasize how drat popular they were).

And every time someone brought up the reviews you'd have people ragging on the rape dungeon bit (see: this discussion). They were successful in spite of it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Only in discussions with rational people. The rape dungeon parts were so popular there was a spin-off that was all skit with no movie review

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Like I wanna be clear that the skits at best dont age well and are cringe and even I don't much care for them. At worst the frequency of rape jokes ages very badly. But they definitely did a lot for them at the time, shock value sells and the juxtaposition of juvenile shock humor and critical analysis grabbed a lot of people.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Dec 15, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i recall my opinion of the red letter media kidnapping subplot in the star wars reviews being "oh ha ha he's just forcing her to watch the bad movie! Good punchline! ... wait why is it still going. stop that. you made the joke it's over no stop"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think that’s the the correct opinion but Plinkett was also extremely popular and only died when they got bored of doing it so I think there is some revisionism here

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TheKennedys posted:

seconding Todd in the Shadows too, he's funny in his constant annoyance and sarcasm but you can tell he cares about the content and respects music for what it is.

His review of Old Town Road veering into a takedown of genre radio was unexpected but pretty interesting.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jzcamp/status/1338576478066397192

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

For a random spotlight on someone good at this sort of thing, I will highlight Todd in the Shadows. It might be because he's very experienced at this, or that because he reviews pop music he has to modulate his tone quite a lot, but I feel like he gives every review the respect (or lack thereof) it deserves. He'll treat the Beach Boys as the tarnished legacy they are, Robin Thicke as a total skeeze, and Yello as fascinatingly weird genius, and none of it rings phony, hollow, or unnecessarily light or heavy.
And then he will have a weird #notallmen rant about Beyonce.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Alhazred posted:

And then he will have a weird #notallmen rant about Beyonce.

I believe he called himself out for that recently as being juvenile and stupid.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Everything about Planters' attempts at advertising throughout all of 2020 has been doomed & cursed from the start, and aside from the various misfortunes that doomed & cursed their ad campaigns, it's been hilarious as gently caress.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everything about Planters' attempts at advertising throughout all of 2020 has been doomed & cursed from the start, and aside from the various misfortunes that doomed & cursed their ad campaigns, it's been hilarious as gently caress.

it's nuts!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I believe he called himself out for that recently as being juvenile and stupid.

Also who cares, Jesus, I'm so glad Beyoncé doesn't appear to have done anything in recent years so her weird cult is petering out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you care about internet music critics you absolutely care about whatever that is

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, he's not that kind of clickbait reviewer at all, most of his stuff is actually thoughtful and nuanced rather than the usual twitter hashtag bullshit. Him being an overly sensitive snowflake on that one particular occasion is funny, but not noteworthy enough to spontaneously bring up a decade later.

e: I learned so much from his One Hit Wonder series, such as the Baha Men being a legit Bahamian band before Who Let The Dogs out. Some of these flash-in-the-pan acts were actually what you imagined, while others had much more impressive credentials than most people think (like Chumbawamba and Hanson).

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Dec 18, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ah you’re apart of his little cult

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If it exists, I'm apart of it, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kind of seems rude for ragging on Beyoncé fans if your no different

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, didn’t Beyoncé release a new album and a movie this year? I don’t think you can really say she’s fallen out of the limelight

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kind of seems rude for ragging on Beyoncé fans if your no different

You're spelling is, you know what forget it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

e: I learned so much from his One Hit Wonder series, such as the Baha Men being a legit Bahamian band before Who Let The Dogs out. Some of these flash-in-the-pan acts were actually what you imagined, while others had much more impressive credentials than most people think (like Chumbawamba and Hanson).

My favorite tidbit from that series is that MC Hammer had tons of street cred and legit gang connections and yet his attempts to make harder raps was completely wack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you like that style of music critic, the Rap Critic is pretty similar, although obviously he focuses on rap.

He's made some gold over the years, although his more recent videos seem a little lazier, might be running out of inspiration.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alhazred posted:

My favorite tidbit from that series is that MC Hammer had tons of street cred and legit gang connections and yet his attempts to make harder raps was completely wack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFlRUCp5r0

MC Serch from 3rd Bass tells an awesome story about Hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Please don’t hurt ‘em, Hammer