Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I would like to point out that Hellion is not terribly well balanced character at the moment when it comes to her Skills and Paths.

Rank 1 Ravager focused on pure damage is probably the strongest build atm (although she might be a poor fit against the Librarian), though if you somehow get Bloodied Branch and Rotten Tomato unique trinkets you can have bonkers-good Bleed-focused rank 2 Berserker. Carcass can make a good tank, but you won't be dealing any damage, ever, except via Bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Helion out of the box feels bad, esp when the default 4 was very reliable and with 8 candles you could get the Flagellant

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Her two default attack skills (Iron Swan especially) are really good though? I've just been ignoring her winded mechanic until I unlock more skills but she's probably been my most impactful damage dealer despite that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Hellion was OP but still good. Her bleeds are good for rank 2 or filler when winded. She's mix of direct damage and dot with direct damage being the best. Don't underestimate upgrade yawp either.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think Hellion is good. She's a brawler at heart. Keep in mind she gets a passive damage buff at low health, and adrenaline rush heals her after attacking so you can land a big hit then get a heal tick right after.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Magni posted:

Hellion has several moves that delete her Winded tokens. Only one she starts out with is IIRC the mastered version of Toe to Toe.

I always prioritize mastering Toe to Toe, it's really fun to alternate between big hits and taunting.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The game is much more fun now than during EA, I’m glad they got rid of turn limits. I just wish it would just save your loadout for each class though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The game is much more fun now than during EA, I’m glad they got rid of turn limits. I just wish it would just save your loadout for each class though.

It does, but only if you're keeping your heroes between chapters with memories.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For me, the issue wasn't turn limits themselves, but rather it was a lot of hassle for 4 relics and 4 baubles or whatever. Like it would've been cool if you got some nice reward for finishing a fight really quickly to give the player a choice between being risk averse or bolder.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Grave Robber feels better than on EA, dunno if anything changed or I just got more used to her

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God, dying in one of your flashback things and losing the opportunity to get a new skill loving SUCKS
I really feel like the candles should unlock abilities and the hero shrines should unlock paths. Then it avoids the "this affects [three skills you haven't got]" stuff

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they should at least give you the mastery point. The next xt time I try jester chapter 4 will be the five attempt, I think.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

just in case you wanted to test it, if you hit death's door on self damage with the flagellant you can loving die from enemy riposte

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i hate that the negative relationships can attach to unused abilities and then just force those abilities on. it is complete bullshit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

good grief, how on earth do you beat the shroud boss? other bosses are tough but seem doable even when i wipe first time i usually have a better idea of how to fight them next time. this guy is just constantly hitting my whole team with massive aoes and dragging heroes underwater so i'm fighting with a team of 3 and half the squad out of position unless i sink half my dps killing his infinite hands and i have no idea how i'm supposed to deal with that

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Two main things help with the shroud boss, having good front rank damage that isn't reliant on one of your two front liners, and movement resist will protect against being dragged under by the hand.
Speed also helps since if you kill the hand before it starts battering people the boss itself doesn't really do all that much.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 15, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

good grief, how on earth do you beat the shroud boss? other bosses are tough but seem doable even when i wipe first time i usually have a better idea of how to fight them next time. this guy is just constantly hitting my whole team with massive aoes and dragging heroes underwater so i'm fighting with a team of 3 and half the squad out of position unless i sink half my dps killing his infinite hands and i have no idea how i'm supposed to deal with that
The body deal less damage than it seems but it gets a lot of turns. Its based on if the hand is out, because the main body will lose a turn when it is.

Think of it like shambler. Someone needs to hit the main body and someone needs to get the hand. There's reactive/proactive phases when you want to prep for what's next. Either removing blinds, buffing your heroes, and unloading damage. Buff/debuff skills are really helpful if there isn't enough burst damage. I've only killed it with kited out groups.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

blizzardvizard posted:

I still wanna play around with a Blight comp but I think I'm gonna try switching out the GR for Jester next. I didn't get as many opportunities to make use of the Scourge's Sepsis as I thought I would, and maybe Jester will help in that regard.

Trip report: Flagellant/MAA/Jester/PD is disgustingly good so far. Flag and PD can destroy the backline easily, Jester can set up combo for the Scourge's Sepsis or for the MAA and PD to stun, Scourge Flag and PD have two of the strongest heals in the game, and all the stress heals make relationship management a cinch. Strategic Withdrawal into a big Finale is also a fun maneuver. The team just feels very bulky without sacrificing offense.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Honest Thief posted:

Grave Robber feels better than on EA, dunno if anything changed or I just got more used to her

I think the Grave Robber is the strongest character, and she's always been good. With Absinthe healing her and giving dodge tokens, she's so much harder to kill than all the others.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Something I think warrants mention: The game does, once you've fought through the learning curve a bit, get substantially easier, and as I figured out various things I found myself saying "that's bullshit" less and ":xcom:" more. There's a lot of tuning and loving around to be done, but they can be beaten.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Chamale posted:

I think the Grave Robber is the strongest character, and she's always been good. With Absinthe healing her and giving dodge tokens, she's so much harder to kill than all the others.

Her paths were massively reworked, and even her Wanderer base Skills were adjusted a bit during EA. A lot of players considered her one of the weaker characters, alongside Runaway for a good stretch of the EA before the rework.

Also not related but, because I went straight into Act IV, I just found out that 1.0 changed the Act III boss by making Phase 1 immune to Taunt, unlike in EA. What the actual gently caress? What's wrong with the devs?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I can understand why, Taunt probably would make the fight way too easy since you can just bypass the entire gimmick with 1 button press. They can still be guarded against, though. But I also think the gimmick is just way too feast-or-famine regardless and they need to rework it somehow.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

It's a different set of options than it used to be. Phase one eyestalks now aim at their opposite rank, and you can dodge the initial token application. Each token now adds 25% damage taken in phase two, so with enough dancing, dodging, and killing, you can theoretically get through phase one with just one guy marked for only a lil extra damage. I still wouldn't try it without a Vestal or a MAA whose job for phase two is just "die slow".

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the advantage of invisibility? It doesn't seem to do much by itself. Enemies can just target a different character.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

What's the advantage of invisibility? It doesn't seem to do much by itself. Enemies can just target a different character.

As far as I know it’s a condition for certain skills and trinkets, in the same vein as combos. Also not being targetable by enemies is valuable in itself when your character is about to die or have a breakdown.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, in the Altar of Hope, there's a section where you can unlock memories for heros who have beaten the boss at the mountain, well and good.

What's the deal with the big skull on the left-hand side though? I clicked it a couple of times, only then realizing it cost candles to do so.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

That just lets you put in loose candles instead of going all the way to the next upgrade pip. I'm pretty sure you used to not get to hold candles between runs or something so I guess it might've mattered in past?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

this run seems to be going well, can't wait to see what else the rng has in store for me

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

this run seems to be going well, can't wait to see what else the rng has in store for me

this dude's hosed

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It seems there's no limit on how much whiskey the characters can drink in one night, so I put a still on my carriage and had a pet owl that made the still produce more whiskey. Everyone got very drunk and friendly.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Whiskeys are so important for relationship management that if my heroes get that Resolute quirk that blocks any alcohol I make it a priority to remove them. No one's getting sober on my watch.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

this dude's hosed

ended up breezing through everything up until the act boss. it was my first time attempting the act 3 boss and i did not win

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The best thing they could and did was unlockable colors, u got me good, redhook

Warden posted:

Her paths were massively reworked, and even her Wanderer base Skills were adjusted a bit during EA. A lot of players considered her one of the weaker characters, alongside Runaway for a good stretch of the EA before the rework.

Also not related but, because I went straight into Act IV, I just found out that 1.0 changed the Act III boss by making Phase 1 immune to Taunt, unlike in EA. What the actual gently caress? What's wrong with the devs?

I didn't check but her corpse clearing skill seems to heal stress now which wasn't a thing before too. She just has all the tools

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 15, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Third boss

gently caress that absolute shitlord. Completely clowned him because my entire loadout and setup was designed to do so, after getting summarily destroyed multiple times. What a terrible fight.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Honest Thief posted:

The best thing they could and did was unlockable colors, u got me good, redhook

I didn't check but her corpse clearing skill seems to heal stress now which wasn't a thing before too. She just has all the tools

It does WHAT now? Whoa, that's, uh, that's a pretty major improvement.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

It healed stress when mastered

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I vote also on a class loadout, esp now that you got cosmetics, let me have one or two slots for saved builds for each character

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I had such a good run, defeated the Leviathan on my 3rd route and was ready for the final boss of act 2.
Then, the stop before the last inn - death appeared and killed 2 of my characters

Fucks sake death

Running a weird team at the moment (to me) of Seraph Vestal, Maniac Flagellant, Vanguard Man at Arms, Tempest Leper and it actually works really well.
gently caress is the leper strong, I feel like he absolutely outclasses the Hellion

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 15, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
really feels like death should be going after all these zombies and skeletons running around instead of a single random flagellant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Random heroes are doing a good enough job on zombies and gaunts.