Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

It'd be more acceptable if, like DS2, it had an actual NG+ instead of, "NG, but slightly harder!" Once you've gone through this game once, that's it. You're done, more or less. There's nothing new to be gained by advancing to NG+ except for slightly better statistical boosts for your rings.

It's interesting that I've enjoyed Bloodborne's NG+ quite a bit, even though it has even less difference than DS3's--probably because it's a bigger jump in enemy stats? I dunno. Actually it's probably because I just think it's a more fun game to play on a mechanical level, so I'm happier doing so multiple times with the same character.

DS3 really did need to step up its NG+ game. Honestly Bloodborne should've, too, but somehow it seems more glaring in DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

He got hacked so hard his game installation wigged out. This means hackers can now take control of your computer and steal your credit card information.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Beat the Deacons of the Deep (are we even spoiler tagging bosses still?) last night.

Those motherfuckers were insanely easy. I did die the first time though since I didn't realize his dark ball of energy could nuke me in one hit.

But yeah, by FAR the easiest boss I've fought.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

400 hours of Souls gaming on PC and only one hacker encountered. Christianity FTW.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Beat the Deacons of the Deep (are we even spoiler tagging bosses still?) last night.

Those motherfuckers were insanely easy. I did die the first time though since I didn't realize his dark ball of energy could nuke me in one hit.

But yeah, by FAR the easiest boss I've fought.

They're one of the easier bosses as long as you're aggressive. If you're playing really passively you'll get nailed with an undodgeable curse attack. You can interrupt it, though, so as long as you stay aggressive you're fine.

Also, something I learned from speedrunners: they're affected by Alluring Skulls :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

They're one of the easier bosses as long as you're aggressive. If you're playing really passively you'll get nailed with an undodgeable curse attack. You can interrupt it, though, so as long as you stay aggressive you're fine.

Also, something I learned from speedrunners: they're affected by Alluring Skulls :v:

Yeah I have a heavily upgraded Exile Greatsword that I used for that fight. I could basically just tank hits and murder 4-5 dudes at a time with it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vermain posted:

Hey, From Software: bring back the loving B-Team. We forgive them.

I'm still trying to find it in my heart to forgive them for the Iron Passage.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm still trying to find it in my heart to forgive them for the Iron Passage.

It was optional, you didn't have to do it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This is some pages back but Oceiros was called the Consumed King before Ocelotte was even born and before he became a dragon man. He got the name because he was so obsessed with the purity of his lineage and the magic of Seath that he was considered mad. Ocelotte was supposed to be the culmination of his work but after giving birth to him the Queen disappeared. So either he killed her for the kid or she fled with him and Oceiros went even crazier.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
DS2 prob my favorite souls still. People complain about some of the areas not being connected in the world because of elevators or something, but in return they were each unique from eachother. DS2 had a lot more environmental challenges also. IN DS3 you had the lame poison swamp and a couple traps in the crypt and thats about it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was optional, you didn't have to do it.

Well playing Dark Souls at all is optional

If you put the content in the game I'm gonna try and play it and then complain if it's poo poo

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm rolling through NG+ and it's amazing just how speedrunable the game is when you're not really interested in exploring or picking up every shiny :v: I'm just ring hunting and trying not to gently caress up the usurpation of fire ending on this run, really.

I also am speeding through for the ring cheevo, I think I spent more time grinding knights for ears then getting through ng+.

In the Aldrich area I was curious how fast I would be invaded, so I popped a finger and started a stop watch at the pontiff fire. It took 2:15 for the first invader to appear. Aldrich was dead by 6:15. It wasn't quite that yakkety sax cathedral vid, but it was close.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Reason posted:

DS2 prob my favorite souls still. People complain about some of the areas not being connected in the world because of elevators or something, but in return they were each unique from eachother. DS2 had a lot more environmental challenges also. IN DS3 you had the lame poison swamp and a couple traps in the crypt and thats about it.
The individual area design is more polished and rationally oriented in space in DS3, but DS2 had more ambition in trying for setpieces. Irithyll is more effective than any one setpiece in pre-DLC DS2, but Irithyll is one area. The others are Boletaria Palace Again, Hemwick Again, a cool cathedral, Ailing Loran Chalice, Latria Again, a cool vertical level, Boletaria Palace Again Again, Duke's Archives Again But Worse, and everything is glued together with poison swamps.

Brume Tower did the world of ashes thing better than any area of DS3.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://fat.gfycat.com/WindingWickedFlamingo.webm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As far as Abandoned Snow Village goes, Eleum Loyce beats the loving shorts off of Irithyll.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Nakar posted:

The individual area design is more polished and rationally oriented in space in DS3, but DS2 had more ambition in trying for setpieces. Irithyll is more effective than any one setpiece in pre-DLC DS2, but Irithyll is one area. The others are Boletaria Palace Again, Hemwick Again, a cool cathedral, Ailing Loran Chalice, Latria Again, a cool vertical level, Boletaria Palace Again Again, Duke's Archives Again But Worse, and everything is glued together with poison swamps.

Brume Tower did the world of ashes thing better than any area of DS3.

I reinstalled DS2 again to go back to my gimmick caestus character and man does it look absolutely horrific compared to DS3. The maps are just empty boxes with fullbright lighting turned on.

Punching people is fun though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Brume Tower was definitely my least favorite DS2 DLC area, even if Fume Knight was a great fight. Eleum Loyce 4 lyfe (we pretend the Outskirts don't exist).

Overall I definitely appreciate the small things DS2 did a lot more than before, such as spell diversity, netcode, etc. I wish DS3 didn't ignore the many such improvements that DS2 brought along. But for me, the simple basic gameplay of DS2 is still by far my least favorite of the DS games. Combat just felt so slow and clumsy to me in that game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

As far as Abandoned Snow Village goes, Eleum Loyce beats the loving shorts off of Irithyll.

I think Irithyll is way better aesthetically, but I'm actually not a huge fan of it from a gameplay perspective. Just too many "here, deal with this large group of agile, high-HP enemies" ganks and it's ultimately too much of a straight line dotted with bonfires like a lot of the vanilla DS2 levels.

The best DS3 levels are the most complex ones, structurally. Cathedral of the Deep and Grand Archives are standouts for me.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

SubponticatePoster posted:

jfc I have been sitting here for well over an hour with bluecop on, using headphones so I can hear if I get summoned while reading the forums.

I haven't been summoned. L31, max upgrade 2. gently caress you, From.

After experimenting, I have one lower level alt, that I keep at ~SL30, with +0 in Undead Settlement and I get a decent amount of summons with. It seems to be that ~SL 20 to 30 with +0 is a decent place to get your ears if you want. Afterwards, the summoning rate drops off really quickly. The only other times I have gotten summoned were in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and Lothric Castle. My main is ~SL90 and I constantly play with it on, and I've never been summoned consistently.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Luceid posted:

i donated two hours of afk time using a hyper advanced hiding place in the cathedral to provide a playground for reds and bluecops alike and let me tell you in NG+ that poo poo starts to pay surprisingly well

Would you mind sharing this (even if it's in a PM)? This is something I've wanted to do for a while... I keep trying to find a spot for this in the Undead Settlement, as I'd love to pop a seed, hide, and let blue cops go at it for hours, but invaders keep finding me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this happened to me once but I was countering with the caestus. It's like, dude I'd have to critical you 4 times in a row to kill you, where are you goin????

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 2, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

DS2 prob my favorite souls still. People complain about some of the areas not being connected in the world because of elevators or something.

I never got this criticism. It seems to have sprung from the same people who never touched demons's's souls. You don't need your game world to be interconnected like some goddamned ski-resort to make great aestethics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I never got this criticism. It seems to have sprung from the same people who never touched demons's's souls. You don't need your game world to be interconnected like some goddamned ski-resort to make great aestethics.

At this point, at least in the Dark Souls threads on this forum, that criticism is basically a joke. It's the thing you go to when you need an anti-DS2 strawman to argue against and if anyone brings it up as a real criticism of DS2 it's going to invalidate their entire argument.

There's plenty to criticize about DS2 without it anyway :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Warden farming kind of sucks in the Cathedral, I think it's time to Git Gud and go murder Oceiros and just farm the two wardens in the graves for these twinblades.

This is a pretty fun build so far though. I don't really care for the uchi beyond the running poke, but Anri's and Barbed are fun, I'm going to hollow out the drang hammers and spin to win, and I'll bleed stuff with the twinblades once I get them. The drang hammers will suck for a while until I get to Profaned Capital though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoku posted:

What was said above, basically both clients have to agree that a thing happened for it to happen. Sometimes they don't agree and nothing happens, sometimes they don't agree and weird poo poo happens anyway (like building up Bleed without taking damage from the actual attack).

:darksouls:

I don't think i've ever had one PvP fight in a souls game that wasn't a laggy dance. I don't get why PVP became so popular. It's such a chaotic mess. The meta is just find the weapon that works best with lovely netcode.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

At this point, at least in the Dark Souls threads on this forum, that criticism is basically a joke. It's the thing you go to when you need an anti-DS2 strawman to argue against and if anyone brings it up as a real criticism of DS2 it's going to invalidate their entire argument.

You mean like dark souls 1 looking like a ps2 game? :o:

It seems like dark Souls 3 also got some of the ski-resort criticism in some of their reviews. I've read one review state that the "Game world wasn't coherent enough", and that's a tough pill to swallow when half the assets are regurgitated from the last mitsubishi souls.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 2, 2016

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

this happened to me once but I was countering with the caestus. It's like, dude I'd have to critical you 4 times in a row to kill you, where are you goin????

Might have just been the netcode loving up. My internet is rock solid for everything but in DS3 I'll get "Connection to Steam Interrupted" at least once a day anyway. Really embarrassing when that happens in the middle of a fight just as you got your rear end beat.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

But what about the volcano elevator!!!!!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Anyone else fallen in love with the Profane Greatsword. It's charged strong when 2-handing is a thing of beauty. It also makes pvp in places with pits hilarious, you can send other players off rafters and poo poo and I love it.

Also is it possible that the reason Irithyll is frozen because something went wacky with the Painted World, considering some of the other stuff around that area I'd believe it. As a secondary thought on this I'm wondering why there is a painting of Nashandra in the same room as the painting of Gwynevere and such.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the fastest way to get to the dragon statue thing in irithyll dungeon?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyone else fallen in love with the Profane Greatsword. It's charged strong when 2-handing is a thing of beauty. It also makes pvp in places with pits hilarious, you can send other players off rafters and poo poo and I love it.

i just tried it out that r2 :prepop:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jose posted:

There's a lift shortcut that opens up that connects the dragon area to the upper jail area - it's not the first door right by the bonfire, but rather across the first bridge with the pair of Jailers, to the left and then down: basically right before the area with the parade of Hollows and then the Slave Giant.

Also, unrelated, but I finally beat the Dancer (thanks, jolly co-operator!) and holy poo poo those curved swords mmmmmmmm yessssss.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 2, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Harrow posted:

My favorite DS2 landscape was the ship that took you to the Lost Bastille, which was suspended in mid-air above your head at the dock. Or the mid-game roadblock that existed entirely to circumvent a five foot pile of rubble in the main path. Or maybe the elevator you took down from Castlevania and its surrounding mountain ranges to the bamboo forest. Or maybe it was the forest of invisible enemies with a draw distance and textures that looked like it belong in a Nintendo 64 game. Dark Souls 2 was a rich tapestry of utter garbage world design. It's silly that the volcano elevator gets all the glory.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Greirat says Irithyll is a city of wealthy nobles. Some rich art collector bought old portraits of Gwynevere and Nashandra and probably had no idea who the subjects were.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

Just book it through the area as normal, hang a left once you get to the open area with the loads of Jailers, and there you are.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nakar posted:

Greirat says Irithyll is a city of wealthy nobles. Some rich art collector bought old portraits of Gwynevere and Nashandra and probably had no idea who the subjects were.

Where's the Nashandra picture?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nohman posted:

My favorite DS2 landscape was the ship that took you to the Lost Bastille, which was suspended in mid-air above your head at the dock. Or the mid-game roadblock that existed entirely to circumvent a five foot pile of rubble in the main path. Or maybe the elevator you took down from Castlevania and its surrounding mountain ranges to the bamboo forest. Or maybe it was the forest of invisible enemies with a draw distance and textures that looked like it belong in a Nintendo 64 game. Dark Souls 2 was a rich tapestry of utter garbage world design. It's silly that the volcano elevator gets all the glory.

Wow!! These people still exist lol

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Come on guys it's right in the item description.

Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.

Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe.

Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding.

Priscilla's version isn't a miracle. Aldrich's is because he literally dreamed it up. Gwyndolin knew about Priscilla and Yorshka, so Aldrich eventually did too. No doubt if you had not killed him he would have been off to eat Yorsh next.

The spell description is telling you how the boss-devouring goo learned about Priscilla and where she was hiding.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Alabaster White posted:

Just book it through the area as normal, hang a left once you get to the open area with the loads of Jailers, and there you are.

i'd already unlocked the lift so i just went that way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nakar posted:

Wait, there's a picture of Nashandra? I missed that entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The real bullshit about Yorshka is that she drops the absolute best Miracle catalyst in the game, and the only way to get it is to straight-up kill her. Cool design!