Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I wanna say it's "a unique". "An unique" sounds really awkward to say out loud. I always say if you're not sure go with whatever sounds less awkward instead of what your teacher told you was the rule in first grade, because English is a half-assed mishmash of a language anyway and any given rule is broken more than it's followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It doesn't take a literary genius (or a go one) to figure out the Monster in the Dark will turn out to be a good guy and help the heroes in the end. Heck he already just saved them from being wiped by Xykon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolash posted:

It doesn't take a literary genius (or a go one) to figure out the Monster in the Dark will turn out to be a good guy and help the heroes in the end. Heck he already just saved them from being wiped by Xykon.

Yes, this seems a given - the real poser is how Rich will make that well-worn trope interesting (as I trust he will), because so far it's looking too on-the-nose for him.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Earnestly posted:

Edit: drat, is it a or an unique?

I think it depends on whether you're British or American. (Known fact: These are the only two types of people in the world. Just ask any English speaker.)

My prediction for the strip is that Jenny from Greysky City is going to reveal that she's carrying Belkar's child. From there, the strip will take a soap-operatic turn: Nale will somehow be alive but have amnesia, and be mistaken for Elan yet again. Belkar will reveal that he's had a terminal disease all this time, the only symptom of which is a cough, and Roy will turn out to be Haley's real father. When they reach the north, they'll find that Xykon has been mysteriously shot by an unknown assassin.

...I know that's unlikely. I was just thinking about Belkar's interlude with Jenny and wondered if he'd knocked her up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My prediction is it will turn out Xykon was a 1HD normal skeleton the entire time, followed and controlled by an invisible stalker with lots of levels of wizard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheAceOfLungs posted:

...I know that's unlikely.

The Order of the Stick: ...I know that's unlikely

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr. Buttass posted:

I wanna say it's "a unique". "An unique" sounds really awkward to say out loud. I always say if you're not sure go with whatever sounds less awkward instead of what your teacher told you was the rule in first grade, because English is a half-assed mishmash of a language anyway and any given rule is broken more than it's followed.

The rule of thumb is you go by phonetic or you'll sound like an rear end, and phonetic y is not a vowel in this case.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

...I know that's unlikely. I was just thinking about Belkar's interlude with Jenny and wondered if he'd knocked her up.

Half-Halfling? Quarterling? :confused:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

jng2058 posted:

Smidgen?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jng2058 posted:

The terrible secret origin of Kender.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cabbit posted:

The terrible secret origin of Kender.

Kender are straight up halflings with a different default personality, though. It's like if the entire race was Peregrin Took on cocaine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ursine Asylum posted:

The rule of thumb is you go by phonetic or you'll sound like an rear end, and phonetic y is not a vowel in this case.

It's not a rule of thumb, it's the actual rule. You don't say an union or an youngster or a hour, either.

jng2058 posted:

Three-quartersling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Kender are straight up halflings with a different default personality, though. It's like if the entire race was Peregrin Took on cocaine.

Cocaine would also explain why they're skinnier than hobbit-halflings.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
And a bunch of thieving bastards with the attention span of a parakeet.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

Three-quartersling

Exercise: Let H be the set of real numbers r such that an r-ling could possibly belong to a human/halfling lineage. Prove that H:
1. Has cardinality aleph-null
2. Has zero measure
3. Is dense in the interval [0.5,1]

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Half halfling half gnome titan, the gnomeling. Hackmaster 4th edition represent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Best halfling races were (of course) from Progress Quest: the Half Halfling and the Double Hobbit.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Triple Elation posted:

Exercise: Let H be the set of real numbers r such that an r-ling could possibly belong to a human/halfling lineage. Prove that H:
1. Has cardinality aleph-null
2. Has zero measure
3. Is dense in the interval [0.5,1]
There's a bean machine joke in here somewhere, but damned if I can find it.

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012

PFlats posted:

There's a bean machine joke in here somewhere, but damned if I can find it.

That's extra credit.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

It is neither "a unique" or "an unique", it's "the unique" or it isn't actually unique in the first place.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

It is neither "a unique" or "an unique", it's "the unique" or it isn't actually unique in the first place.

Are you really saying that the sentence should have read, "Wow, what the unique plot twist!"?

Anyways, there can be more than one unique member of a category. For instance, the world's ugliest dog and world's largest dog are both unique dogs.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 31, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Umbra Dubium posted:

Somehow I don't think "Wow, what the unique plot twist!" would work. There is not only one unique plot twist in existence.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Umbra Dubium posted:

:goonsay:

Regardless, you are a unique individual.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think we got him, guys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

prefect posted:

Best halfling races were (of course) from Progress Quest: the Half Halfling and the Double Hobbit.

I liked to imagine that a Double Hobbit is one Hobbit standing on another Hobbit's shoulders.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The Half & Halfling, which qualifies for all Skim Hobbit feats.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

fallingdownjoe posted:

I'm actually a little disappointed by that: it would have been a stunning callback. But it's still a really nice little touch all the same.

He should do it like Andrew Hussie, replace the original srip and pretend it was always like that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Sefer posted:

Somehow I don't think "Wow, what the unique plot twist!" would work. There is not only one unique plot twist in existence.

Why are you guys getting so cranky? The twist was pretty unique. I mean, it wasn't the uniquest, but it was uniquer than some plot twists I've seen before.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

Tasslehoff I think straight up was my favorite character in the entire franchise next to Commander Kang. Something about a race of people whose default personality is unintentional Troll while also generally being badass, largely hated and loathed everywhere they go and they get by with a knife and a glorified slingshot-staff thing.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Anyways, there can be more than one unique member of a category. For instance, the world's ugliest dog and world's largest dog are both unique dogs.

Not if they're both YOUR MOM!

Who really is a lovely, unique person, and you should feel blessed to have her.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What the heck is going on in this thread?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Colonel Cool posted:

Gee, I hope Rich is ok...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Colonel Cool posted:

The unique post.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tasslehoff I think straight up was my favorite character in the entire franchise next to Commander Kang. Something about a race of people whose default personality is unintentional Troll while also generally being badass, largely hated and loathed everywhere they go and they get by with a knife and a glorified slingshot-staff thing.

Spoken like someone who hasn't had to deal with a kender PC

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

[that one redtext kender pic.img]

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9hC7Nl.jpg][/img]

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This reminds me of one person I played with who set out to prove that the only thing worse than hearing the party kender say "I'm booooooooooooored!" is hearing him/her say "I'm hooooooooooooooorny!"

I mean... gosh, I hope Rich's computer is okay.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Some people take games awful goddamn serious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eifert Posting posted:

Some people take games awful goddamn serious.

Yeah, I mean whoever wrote that book churned out like five columns of text for "Hobbits, but with ADD".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's a post from /tg/ alright. All it's missing is the racial slurs.