Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Holy poo poo this rules. I love the way those AMC engines sound and that's the best looking one they made imo.

I worked on a 68 a few years ago and it was a 290 but had 343 badges on it. They beat the "Type R" upgrade faker badging by decades, hah.

E: Oh yea if you ever have to change the water pump pay attention to the distance the pulley sticks out. There's like 3 different sizes. Ask me how I know.

This is a '68, and it was originally a 290-2v 3-speed car. I guess when the displacement is proudly displayed uhhh... underneath the engine mounts, you can be a little more brazen in your lying.

The knockoff AMX spoiler on a base model with drum brakes is a nice touch, too.

If you had asked me two weeks ago what my favorite car was, I'd have said it was a '71. But the more I look at these first gen cars, the better I like them.

It really could stand to lose an inch or three of ride height, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That thing rules.

I still have everything except the block from my 79s 360, btw. I'd rather it go to good use than scrap it. Anything you want or need, call it half of PicknPull price and it's yours.

Today I turned the half-a-Jeep I bought for $100 about 8-10 years ago into a trailer:

A jobsite toolbox will be going on the tongue for semi dry locked storage. I do have some more welding and other stuff left to do but it's mostly complete now at least.

Jeepep Comancheche

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yes, bed trailer

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

This is a '68, and it was originally a 290-2v 3-speed car. I guess when the displacement is proudly displayed uhhh... underneath the engine mounts, you can be a little more brazen in your lying.

The knockoff AMX spoiler on a base model with drum brakes is a nice touch, too.

If you had asked me two weeks ago what my favorite car was, I'd have said it was a '71. But the more I look at these first gen cars, the better I like them.

It really could stand to lose an inch or three of ride height, though...

Yea everyone seems to love the 71 with the big fenders but the 68 is way better looking.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

That thing rules.

I still have everything except the block from my 79s 360, btw. I'd rather it go to good use than scrap it. Anything you want or need, call it half of PicknPull price and it's yours.

Today I turned the half-a-Jeep I bought for $100 about 8-10 years ago into a trailer:

A jobsite toolbox will be going on the tongue for semi dry locked storage. I do have some more welding and other stuff left to do but it's mostly complete now at least.

Jeepep Comancheche

There's enough space you could probably fit one of those RV Onan generators under there. Then you'd have a use for the fuel door and exhaust. Would be a great little jobsite rig.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mcqueen posted:

Figure, you've already done a Volvo, why not double down and try a Saab?

Sunday Drive 213 Bundarra 015 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Gå med oss!

Raluek posted:

I just brought home something new yesterday.

it was someone's race car

I want to get this sorted and slotted into the "daily driver" spot
Goonspeed, sir. And yes, this very much rules.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yea everyone seems to love the 71 with the big fenders but the 68 is way better looking.

I'm the same way. Seems like everybody talks up the long fendered seconds gens but I love the stumpier first gens. Actually jealous of that thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm the same way. Seems like everybody talks up the long fendered seconds gens but I love the stumpier first gens. Actually jealous of that thing.

Me too, it's the coolest of pony cars. I like them way more than Mustangs and Camaros. Challengers/Cudas are close but the first gen Javelins are so drat good looking.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Skulls or no every AMC is a Good AMC.

Went ahead and replaced the tires that were on our Hilux Surf as the ones that were on it, while not in the worst shape, were needing a rebalance and were 10+ years old and ehhh that isn't like us to leave sub-standard tires on. So naturally KO2s, and went and got a blank spare tire cover as the spare wheel didn't match the aftermarket ones on it anyway.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

When did Toyota stop the gold tint on their factory glass? It looks so very good.

White letter KO2s look dope as ever.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

McTinkerson posted:

When did Toyota stop the gold tint on their factory glass? It looks so very good.

White letter KO2s look dope as ever.

No idea, as far as I know we never got the W I D E body version on second-gen 4Runners either like the Surfs got, with the fender arches and wider track. Maybe the gold tinting has something to do with that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat that looks good.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
thanks for the props, all. the more i look at and touch this car the more im glad i bought it. at first i was like, did i make a mistake? is htis going to be a bundle of problems? but im feeling better about it all the time. well worth the work it will need, even if it will never be perfect

funny story, i was outside working on my brother's car and someone drove past, stopped in the middle of the road, and backed up to gawk at the jav. he got out and demanded to know why i hadnt responded to his emails on craigslist, apparently the seller didn't take the ad down. he seemed miffed to learn that i had just bought it, lol

shortly thereafter, i realized that since the harmonic balancers are unique to each crank, i could ID the crank without having to take anything apart. i got under the car, and... it's a 390. hell yes. apparently they use the same heads as the 343, so my earlier observation about the heads was a red herring. so the air cleaner doesn't lie after all!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Raluek posted:

thanks for the props, all. the more i look at and touch this car the more im glad i bought it. at first i was like, did i make a mistake? is htis going to be a bundle of problems? but im feeling better about it all the time. well worth the work it will need, even if it will never be perfect

funny story, i was outside working on my brother's car and someone drove past, stopped in the middle of the road, and backed up to gawk at the jav. he got out and demanded to know why i hadnt responded to his emails on craigslist, apparently the seller didn't take the ad down. he seemed miffed to learn that i had just bought it, lol

shortly thereafter, i realized that since the harmonic balancers are unique to each crank, i could ID the crank without having to take anything apart. i got under the car, and... it's a 390. hell yes. apparently they use the same heads as the 343, so my earlier observation about the heads was a red herring. so the air cleaner doesn't lie after all!

I'm losing my poo poo at the rat fink art sticker on the wiper motor, this is like a kid's Trapper Keeper in car form

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

That thing rules.

Jeepep Comancheche

hey, thanks for the offer!

if the heads are the non-paired rocker kind, I'd be into that, but I think a '79 is well past that change-over point.

if you were local id ask for the valve covers, but something big but inexpensive like that would probably not be worth shipping across the continent to california. ill just wait for a set to show up here

my plan is to get a set of stock valve covers and paint them wrinkle black, and do the same to the air cleaner to de-bling it a bit. seemed like a shame to scuff up otherwise nice chrome on the valve covers i have now

i love that you kept the tail pipe on your trailer, that has got to earn you a few confused looks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

I'm losing my poo poo at the rat fink art sticker on the wiper motor, this is like a kid's Trapper Keeper in car form

haha yeah it owns

this is the only digital copy of an unblemished one i could find

also, while under the car yesterday, i found its name embellished on the trans side cover

all it needs now is a "cool S"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

hey, thanks for the offer!

if the heads are the non-paired rocker kind, I'd be into that, but I think a '79 is well past that change-over point.

if you were local id ask for the valve covers, but something big but inexpensive like that would probably not be worth shipping across the continent to california. ill just wait for a set to show up here

my plan is to get a set of stock valve covers and paint them wrinkle black, and do the same to the air cleaner to de-bling it a bit. seemed like a shame to scuff up otherwise nice chrome on the valve covers i have now

i love that you kept the tail pipe on your trailer, that has got to earn you a few confused looks

They're paired, sadly. The covers are intact and I could send them if you want but at least one got partially caved in when the engine rocked back as I dropped the trans.

Anything else? Accessory brackets? GM TBI conversion parts? I hate craigslist way too much to try and sell this stuff for what it's worth.

The tailpipe is actually a friend's work. He bought this truck whole with no title, cut the back half off and built a truggy, then realized he was in over his head and cut the whole thing up for parts. I actually owned 3/4 of it at one point since I got the roof and cab back a few months after this part. I'll probably pull the tailpipe off tbh, it's just hanging there.

ChrisGT, I've debated putting the fuel tank under there to carry spare fuel. Our RV has a generator so I probably won't bother with that yet, but it would be pretty sweet for remote repairs, welding, etc. You've got me thinking now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

They're paired, sadly. The covers are intact and I could send them if you want but at least one got partially caved in when the engine rocked back as I dropped the trans.

Anything else? Accessory brackets? GM TBI conversion parts? I hate craigslist way too much to try and sell this stuff for what it's worth.

Did it have a 4-barrel on it? Those manifolds are getting harder to find. I've got an Edelbrock R4B, but a newer Performer intake might be an upgrade.

How complete of a TBI swap do you have? It's a TB adapter, the TBI itself (ideally from a 454), the ECU, a cam position sensor, and a harness, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Home made TBI adaptor plate, TBI unit (I think from a 350, which isn't super far from a 360), ECU, distributor, coil, icm, map, and I think a few other sensors. O2 I know is gone but they're like 5 dollars, fuel pump was shot. The harness did work but should be completely redone, it has... The same kind of issue as the rest of your harness.

I'm not sure what intake I've got, if there were multiple - I can check next time I'm out there. I know it's cast iron and heavy as poo poo, I was expecting aluminum and nearly threw a joint out trying to pick it up that way when I stripped the motor down.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

StormDrain posted:

I never get tired of looking at this.

makes me miss my dad's Scout 2 and International truck. :( i love IH's so much.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That AMC rules. :lol: about the skulls and :can: wiring. GL

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

Door

Just randomly picking this one to say that car is cool. I'd be torn between driving it as is for as long as I could stand and prying off every skull on day two.

I just got a Summit Racing hat in the mail that would look great with that car.

benro posted:

makes me miss my dad's Scout 2 and International truck. :( i love IH's so much.

This was the first weekend in a while that I didn't start it up and that makes me a little sad. If you have the means and really hate yourself get one now. They're only getting harder to own. I think as prices go up there have been a few new things show up which is cool.

Pickup gas tanks used to be declining stock only, if yours was rusted you needed to find a parts truck or find a substitute from another vehicle. Of course the new replacements are $370....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
CROSSPOST ALERT.
I didn't necessarily need another car, but SharkyTM's Jetta followed me home today, very excited.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

chrisgt posted:

CROSSPOST ALERT.
I didn't necessarily need another car, but SharkyTM's Jetta followed me home today, very excited.

Man... in high school I lusted over a red VR6 that my dad told me would be a horrible mistake. I agree, but my life would have been far different. This picture brings back those memories.

(I ended up with a MKII Jetta followed by a MKIV GTi with a 12V VR6, ha!)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Accidentally posted this in Spyders personal thread about his awesome collection of rotaries, crossposting here. I may post a thread about this car (and my other vehicles which I have posted about a little in AI - an '04 Impreza rallycross car, a '07 4Runner I tow/offroad/haul kids with, and an '09 Impreza my brother is mostly driving and I'll eventually give the title to). We'll see how much I get into it!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Is this the AI rotary thread? I don't understand the AI thread scheme haha.

Anyway, I bought this little gem on Friday and drove it ~300 km home from its hometown:

A 1983 RX-7. It's an auto with no power steering, no A/C, no power windows and no power from the 12A, but goddamn is it a joy to drive. I like that the lack of fuel cut and no computer override on the trans means I can still send it to 8,000 RPM in first and second gears (yeah it's a lovely 3-speed, and the gearing sucks). It's on 14 year old tires, but they're in good shape and it feels solidly planted no matter how hard I pitch it into a corner. Great handling and very little body roll, I love it.

This thing is a bit of a unicorn up here in Canada, an all original, all-numbers-matching rust-free specimen. I bought it from a classic car collector who by his own admission doesn't care about Japanese cars and only bought it from the previous owner to preserve its heritage. The car has a bit of a fun story: it was bought in 1983 at the Wallaceburg Mazda dealership, driven for a year, traded in, then the second owner did the same and bought it, owned it for 18 months and traded it in, all at the same dealership. Cumulatively they put about 8,000 km on it. In 1986 it was bought by a school teacher from the dealer, and she owned it for 33 years. She was known as the "cool old lady teacher" in town that drove around the old Japanese sports car in the warm months. It has never once been winter driven (that's purportedly, but just by looking at it, that's easy to believe), and has obviously been driven gingerly and babied its whole life. When I bought it, it had just over 90,000 km on it!

I guess the town has an annual "yard-sale" market type thing where everyone participates and does their spring cleaning, and it's a sort of town tradition. Well, in 2019, this lady decided it was finally time to sell the old girl. She threw a "for sale" sign in the window and parked it outside her house along with her table. She didn't want to sell it, but approaching 70, she could barely turn the wheel without the power steering, and her kids didn't think she should be driving around a car without crumple zones, airbags, or much of anything in the way of safety equipment. The collector, also with a reputation about the town (owner of ~19 cars and dwindling when I met him), seen it and decided to buy it on the spot, not wanting to let some young punk come along and despoil the car. He had some dreams of restoring the car and possibly giving it to the Mazda dealership it was originally sold at, but covid came along not long after and in his advancing age, the collector decided it was time to downsize the collection.

So I came along and snapped it up. I've been trying to buy Miatas for the past couple months, but it's hard to get a good one for a fair price around here right now. When I seen the FB I knew I had to have it. I rushed down, took a closer look (yep, looks as amazing as it did in the photos), and offered him on the spot. $6,500 CAD which I was more than happy to pay, along with a safety cert so I had it on the road immediately. Here are a few more pics: https://imgur.com/a/U7p6P78

When I was shopping for my old Japanese sports car (wasn't sure of what I wanted until I decided I wanted a Miata), I had these ideas that I'd be buying a problem car and doing a bit of tuner poo poo to it, respray it myself if I needed to, etc. But after finding and buying this one, I feel something of a responsibility to keep it antique status, as close to factory as I can. It needs a new exhaust soon-ish, which is its only troubled component, and I'm thinking I'll replace it with a full Racing Beat engine-back stock-port system. I'll be getting new rubber, but not sure if I want to go with some legacy 13" ones to keep the stock wheels on or get some 15" ones to modernize it. I know for sure I'll be doing a preventative rebuild of the engine (and maybe, MAYBE a mild-medium street port) which as far as I know has never been rebuilt. At the same time I'd like to swap the auto to a manual for my own personal enjoyment, but I'll definitely be keeping that auto in case I ever want to restore it to pure factory. Aside from that, I've been thinking maybe replace the suspension (shocks, springs, bushings and sway bars) with the RB stock-ish kit, but not much otherwise. I'm keeping the lovely 12A, I love the novelty of the carb that needs to be choked in cold starts, I love the roll up windows, I love the tape deck, just all of the anachronisms, and I want to keep it that way.

One minor thing that I haven't been able to easily track down through google searches (and I haven't spent too much time under the hood yet) is that after driving, I'm noticing a very small amount of what looks like engine oil on the front of the hood, where it hinges forward. Like just a few drops holding to the lip of the front of the hood. Does this jump out as a common symptom of a failing component to any of you rotary guys? It's holding oil pressure, I haven't noticed a significant oil loss in the ~700 km I've put on it, nothing really feels wrong with the car. I am absolutely driving the poo poo out of it, and it's now under more stress than it's probably ever been in its life, so maybe I popped some old worn rubber seal somewhere is what I've been thinking, just haven't gone hunting for it yet.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Accidentally posted this in Spyders personal thread about his awesome collection of rotaries, crossposting here. I may post a thread about this car (and my other vehicles which I have posted about a little in AI - an '04 Impreza rallycross car, a '07 4Runner I tow/offroad/haul kids with, and an '09 Impreza my brother is mostly driving and I'll eventually give the title to). We'll see how much I get into it!

You did a beautiful thing. God bless you.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

chrisgt posted:

CROSSPOST ALERT.

So glad it went to another goon. That thing is a blast. If you're wondering about anything text me and I'll try to remember what I did to it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a nice downtown picture of the Del Sol while we were in the bicycle shop

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Today the dumb thing I did was lease this truck. It is the wrong truck in the wrong spec with RWD and has 20” wheels but it is the right truck to lease as it had been on the lot for months and has the 4 pot turbo that GM introduced a few years back. So used aone examples from the leasehackrz forum to send an email to the sales managers and shrewdly negotiated a decent rate for it after GM money and my Costco membership. Now I must rice with having a 4 pot turbo full-size truck for 3 years. Oh wait leather and wood trim with vented seats because GMC :smug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

Today the dumb thing I did was lease this truck. It is the wrong truck in the wrong spec with RWD and has 20” wheels but it is the right truck to lease as it had been on the lot for months and has the 4 pot turbo that GM introduced a few years back. So used aone examples from the leasehackrz forum to send an email to the sales managers and shrewdly negotiated a decent rate for it after GM money and my Costco membership. Now I must rice with having a 4 pot turbo full-size truck for 3 years. Oh wait leather and wood trim with vented seats because GMC :smug:

That is so dumb I like it. How does it compare to the V8?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

I love my four cylinder turbo diesel GMC. I also hope more of these 2.7T trucks end up out in the world because those seem like they could be fun not-an-LS engine swap options.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

StormDrain posted:

That is so dumb I like it. How does it compare to the V8?

Only difference I noticed between my old 5.3 Silverado and this is the noise it makes. It pulls just as hard and while cruising uses a bit less fuel. I am sure with some induction and exhaust mods you could make it sound better and I am sure remaps will come along so you can run it on 93 like the one Ford sells for the ecoboost.

Having a BOV and turbo flutter on it would be amusing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

BigPaddy posted:

Yesssss. RWD truck club! So when is it getting a static drop?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

I just brought home something new yesterday.

gently caress, yeah!
My dad always contends that if that had had a Chevy badge, it would have sold like hotcakes. I always thought they were a little oddly proportioned (a bit long in the front overhang or a bit short in the rear,) but I like them nonetheless.

At least all the appearance additions are all stick-on stuff.

quote:

it has one, because racecar, but it's just floating next to the battery, because yeehaw.

I love this statement.

quote:

It's a 4-speed, though, so any V8 will be fun. It doesn't need to be fast. At least I keep telling myself that. We'll see how long I can hold myself to that.

Again, gently caress, yeah!

Those *really* messed with the proportions (and may be what I was thinking of in the first place regarding.)

kastein posted:

That thing rules.

Bonus points for the exhaust still being under there.

chrisgt posted:

There's enough space you could probably fit one of those RV Onan generators under there. Then you'd have a use for the fuel door and exhaust. Would be a great little jobsite rig.

And the exhaust!

KakerMix posted:

No idea, as far as I know we never got the W I D E body version on second-gen 4Runners either like the Surfs got, with the fender arches and wider track. Maybe the gold tinting has something to do with that.

Enos Cabell posted:

drat that looks good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

Interesting.
I'd be very tempted to at least temporarily put a fart cannon on just for the lulz.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just a nice downtown picture of the Del Sol while we were in the bicycle shop

drat that Del Sol actually looks dope with those wheels. I almost bought a Del Sol but I couldn't convince myself they were cool enough. That's a great pic tho

e: what wheels are those?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 29, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat that Del Sol actually looks dope with those wheels. I almost bought a Del Sol but I couldn't convince myself they were cool enough. That's a great pic tho

Guessing rota slipstreams.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

They’re definitely cool enough, don’t let anyone tell you different. And yes the wheels are indeed 15” Rota Slipstreams

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Darchangel posted:

gently caress, yeah!
My dad always contends that if that had had a Chevy badge, it would have sold like hotcakes. I always thought they were a little oddly proportioned (a bit long in the front overhang or a bit short in the rear,) but I like them nonetheless.

Yeah, you're dad's probably not wrong on that one. I agree on the proportions on the AMX, but I think the Javelin is just fine. That's what makes the first-gen so interesting I think, it's the only time the AMX was a distinctly unique model. On the 2nd gen it became more like the relationship between the Trans Am and the Firebird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Yeah, you're dad's probably not wrong on that one. I agree on the proportions on the AMX, but I think the Javelin is just fine. That's what makes the first-gen so interesting I think, it's the only time the AMX was a distinctly unique model. On the 2nd gen it became more like the relationship between the Trans Am and the Firebird.

yeah i thought i was going crazy because when i look at same-year amx and javelin, the amx just looks... wonky. but that's the model everyone wants! id rather have the javelin... i mean i wouldnt kick one out of the garage, but $20k for an amx or $5k for a javelin, with the same powertrain? the choice to me is clear

that 71 donohue jav-amx trans-am racecar is just perfect, though

the road cars look sorta off, but the race cars are just right, somehow