Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

hobbesmaster posted:

Its literally the job of a judge so like thats the answer you'd expect for them to be qualified?

Justices should know common law, even if we grant that we're not talking about specific state laws

Or does the bar exam not cover that any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We're talking about a woman who wrote an opinion that the involvement of the n- bomb in a workplace does not necessarily imply that the workplace is hostile.

Guys, we really don't need to dig deep into ACB. It is all there, on the surface and in her copious legal opinions.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Flappy Bert posted:

Kagan was Solicitor General so she wasn't purely in acedemia, but she was never a judge at all, was that as bad?

solicitor general is still involved in practicing law; i'm not saying there should be hard or fast rules or strict qualifications, and obviously i'm more okay with kagan because her beliefs align with me more ideologically, but my point is acb is not getting this position on merit. it's to Own The Libs.

i also think it's fine to have a diverse background of professions on the supreme court provided there is some meritorious reason that they should be allowed to render country changing legal opinions. but acb practiced law for a combined six years (three in private practice, three on the bench). kagan served as an attorney in private practice for about five years and worked alongside the senate judiciary committee and had several other white house appointments as counsel and also served as part of goldman sachs' legal department, and was due to be appointed as a federal judge before orrin hatch killed it (the more things change am i right?). she also had never argued a case in court before she was solicitor general.

but at the end of the day, these are my opinions. they're not absolute. i am also prone to my own biases, as i would likely oppose kagan if she had the exact same resume but was a heritage foundation ghoul. but, for what it's worth, noted dead guy antonin scalia publicly lobbied for obama to nominate kagan to replace stevens when he retired, so whatever my opinions are, her credentials were up to that rear end in a top hat's snuff.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/theferocity/status/1316481343732224002?s=21

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

JordanKai posted:

Cult or not, she signed a lifelong covenant. That alone should be 100% disqualifying. If you have sworn an oath to a private entity, that means you have loyalties to forces besides the people of the United States of America, which is not acceptable for a lifetime appointment of such massive power.

In your opinion, should any Catholic who has undergone the sacrament of confirmation be disqualified, then? What about a Muslim who has sworn to obey Allah? There may be good reasons for which she is a bad candidate, but "is a Catholic" isn't among them unless you believe public servants should be atheists.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ACB isn't just tied to general catholicism tho, she's tied to an ultra-orthodox sect called People of Praise.

the general reverence for paganistic beliefs over atheistic, supportable ones is not founded, if paganistic beliefs are considered sacrosanct for justices then humanistic beliefs should be as well.

humanistic beliefs aren't and unless we're going to broach that subject now, with legal force and future effect, then paganistic beliefs shouldn't be either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

how catholic is the cult though, are they like "the pope is a lie, vatican 2 is heresy, the holy see has been occupied by pretenders after pius xii, restore communion for the mafia" or just the pedestrian "women are chattel, kids are toys, stay the gently caress out of our finances" stuff?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Potato Salad posted:

If there's something someone who has been keeping up on the last four -- or seventy -- years of American history:

Yes a member of an mixed marriage can be racist. Yes, a member of an ethnic group can be racist against their ethnic group. Someone who adopts kids can be a pedophile, someone who works at a school can harbor anti-Education sentiments, someone without healthcare can have reasons they vote against getting access to healthcare, yes a poor person can vote for tax breaks for the rich, yes yes yes yes.

People are very, very complex.

Are you saying that people shouldn't be judged or categorized by superficial differences like skin color, but instead by their actions and the content of their character?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not an expert on the subject, but wouldn't an ethnonationalist be against the idea of adopting children who are of a different ethnicity?

It signals colorblind ideology to the gullible, and making "one of theirs" "white on the inside" to the cynical.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There is also (sometimes) some weird savior poo poo with religious people adopting kids from poorer countries. Even if they love the kid and treat them well, the underlying motivation is to demonstrate the power and superiority of the rich white parents, and the lower status and inferiority of the race / nationality of the kid.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Flappy Bert posted:

Kagan was Solicitor General so she wasn't purely in acedemia, but she was never a judge at all, was that as bad?

Potato Salad posted:

We're talking about a woman who wrote an opinion that the involvement of the n- bomb in a workplace does not necessarily imply that the workplace is hostile.

Also that a college student losing his scholarship for raping a classmate was an example of anti-male bias.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 15, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

FAUXTON posted:

how catholic is the cult though, are they like "the pope is a lie, vatican 2 is heresy, the holy see has been occupied by pretenders after pius xii, restore communion for the mafia" or just the pedestrian "women are chattel, kids are toys, stay the gently caress out of our finances" stuff?

People of Praise is what's called Charismatic Catholicism; aka they practice speaking in tongues, weekly or more prayer groups, and encouraging their members to house and feed other members who are in need. So they're Catholics with a healthy dose of Evangelical (The ones that play with snakes). They're not sedes by any imagination.

JordanKai posted:

Cult or not, she signed a lifelong covenant. That alone should be 100% disqualifying. If you have sworn an oath to a private entity, that means you have loyalties to forces besides the people of the United States of America, which is not acceptable for a lifetime appointment of such massive power.

Article 1 Section 6?

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There is also (sometimes) some weird savior poo poo with religious people adopting kids from poorer countries. Even if they love the kid and treat them well, the underlying motivation is to demonstrate the power and superiority of the rich white parents, and the lower status and inferiority of the race / nationality of the kid.

That's a pretty cynical reading into people seeing in the news "woah there are people in need, let's help some orphans and adopt."

The world is a better place with more adoptions, not less. There's plenty of legitimate things to criticize ACB over, this thread's drive to read into every single part of her life and actions these last three days and contribute them to evil or racist motivations (From her smile, forgetting part of an Amendment after 30+ hours of intense testimony, to her adoption) is just weird. Court cases and rulings perfectly legit targets, her kids and reasons to adopt? Nah.

Can we just leave her kids out of this?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 15, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sure. She's disqualified on the basis of her law practice alone.

The kids thing is a side story. Also oh boy, white savior trophy "they were so malnourished when we got him/her" adopted kids. That's a thing, also yikes her statement about her biological kids vs her adopted kids.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Let's not get into talking about her kids. There's an incredible amount of awful and downright disqualifying info about her already, there's no need to drag her family into it - especially when there's not actually anything bad about her family and it's just goons wanting to get really fuckin weird about a bad conservative white person having black family members.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does ACB have any on-record statements about legalized divorce?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1316487184443158530

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The world is a better place with more adoptions, not less. There's plenty of legitimate things to criticize ACB over, this thread's drive to read into every single part of her life and actions these last three days and contribute them to evil or racist motivations (From her smile, forgetting part of an Amendment after 30+ hours of intense testimony, to her adoption) is just weird. Court cases and rulings perfectly legit targets, her kids and reasons to adopt? Nah.

It doesn't help that certain media outlets have really ramped up the "She is a cult member!" angle to incite panic and stir up the masses. Fear sells clicks.

Main Paineframe posted:

Let's not get into talking about her kids. There's an incredible amount of awful and downright disqualifying info about her already, there's no need to drag her family into it - especially when there's not actually anything bad about her family and it's just goons wanting to get really fuckin weird about a bad conservative white person having black family members.
I found it really jarring to see the sexism out on full display. Children would have never even entered the picture if this was a male nominee. Thanks for putting a stop to this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If someone is to wear robes, carry a gavel, and work in a temple as a priest, they should be loyal to the god the temple serves.

Barret thinks that our temples to the law are temples to HER god. Her belief is that the laws of her false god, the god that can be debunked by reading the Bible, are supreme over the law she has sworn to enforce. She's a liar who wants to start a second Nullification Crisis.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Big Hubris posted:

Her belief is that the laws of her false god, the god that can be debunked by reading the Bible, are supreme over the law she has sworn to enforce. She's a liar who wants to start a second Nullification Crisis.
At this point, you're basically attacking her for her religious beliefs. I think that's uncalled for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Barrett's membership in a cult is the fight Republicans want to have over her. The reality is that her legal beliefs alone qualify her as a nutjob, regardless of her religious beliefs.

She's not going to be the next Scalia, she's going to be the next Clarence Thomas, constantly writing bizarre opinions that are technically sound but only valid if you accept her nutbar axioms. The problem is that a majority of the court will concur with her for partisan reasons.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 15, 2020

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bioshuffle posted:

At this point, you're basically attacking her for her religious beliefs. I think that's uncalled for.

That's dumb, religious beliefs are just like any other beliefs and equally worthy of criticism.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Not if those beliefs impact her judicial opinions.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's not going to be the next Scalia, she's going to be the next Clarence Thomas, constantly writing bizarre opinions that are technically sound but only valid if you accept her nutbar axioms. The problem is that a majority of the court will concur with her for partisan reasons.

Well, to be clear if it turns out that way it will be the partisans who write the opinions with her writing a grumpy concurrence calling the majority out as a bunch of cowards for not going further. Thomas rarely gets to write any important opinions, he gets all the easy 8-1, 9-0 opinions because his bizarre opinions cant hold a 5-4..

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The rise of evanglicalism is IMO directly a consequence of Brown in that the southern church remained the last socially and legally acceptable place to segregate. The blossoming of church affiliated schools in the south is a plain demonstration. Fun to note, Louisiana de-segregated public education during reconstruction and the exact same thing happened. Religion especially in the south is utterly political. Hell its the reason why “southern” baptism is a thing at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lol way to just roll over

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's not rolling over to know that you're not going to get a different answer. Getting a "doesn't believe in science" answer is as good as you're going to get, so you move on.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

What are you expecting her to do? Leap over the table with a ballpoint pen and try to stab her in the eye? What does "not rolling over" look like?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You can point out it's only a "debate" because one side is rejecting reality.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I'm not an expert on the subject, but wouldn't an ethnonationalist be against the idea of adopting children who are of a different ethnicity?

Bioshuffle posted:

I found it really jarring to see the sexism out on full display. Children would have never even entered the picture if this was a male nominee. Thanks for putting a stop to this.

If that's how you feel, on behalf of the thread I accept your apology for trying to utilize her children to your rhetorical ends.

It truly was sexist and abhorrent of you and I'll thank you to never do so again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can point out it's only a "debate" because one side is rejecting reality.

Maybe the audience should be trusted to be smart enough to make this connection themselves?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I thought it was one of Harris' best responses, but seeing as how these things tend to be scripted in advance with the assistance of staffers, it might have been better as

"You've made your point clear that you disagree with 99% of climate scientists on it being a debatable point."

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe the audience should be trusted to be smart enough to make this connection themselves?

Really digging deep for a reason to attack the perfectly reasonable thing Harris said there.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah this cowardice from Harris really sucks to see

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigel posted:

What are you expecting her to do? Leap over the table with a ballpoint pen and try to stab her in the eye? What does "not rolling over" look like?

Push back, even the tiniest bit

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Uhhh, she did. Her questioning was crafted to make her look like a crazy nutjob. It is not necessary to explain in detail why the sky is blue to an idiot when the audience watching the question knows the sky is blue.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That's a pretty cynical reading into people seeing in the news "woah there are people in need, let's help some orphans and adopt."

I am speaking from watching my right wing Southern Baptist family’s involvement and support for adoptions and missionary work in Africa. I don’t know or care why Barrett adopted kids, but she’s never done anything to earn any benefit of the doubt so I’m not going to waste time giving her any.

And no, she’s going to do everything she can to destroy any “non-traditional” family she can, so gently caress her family. She wants gay kids to be forced so far back into the closet they hang themselves in their bedrooms. gently caress her kids.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Jesus gently caress. You mean like saying "so you think the existence of climate change is a matter for debate?"

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigel posted:

Uhhh, she did. Her questioning was crafted to make her look like a crazy nutjob. It is not necessary to explain in detail why the sky is blue to an idiot when the audience watching the question knows the sky is blue.

You know it's a lovely post when it starts with a mouth-breathing, sarcastic 'uhhh.'

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1316805807753879555

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Let me make explicit what was implicit in Harris' comment:

"You've made it clear that you believe the existence of this undeniably existent thing is somehow up for debate."

I know it's not the world's biggest zinger, and the dig is a bit subtle, but you did ask for the tiniest bit.