Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

the US: they did not, not commit genocide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I didn't see this posted even though it was a couple of days ago:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68103641
Hundreds of Israeli protesters have blocked some humanitarian aid trucks from entering Gaza for a third day.

On Wednesday, only 9 trucks went through while 114 were sent back. Traffic in the Rafah Crossing continues but this crossing is within Israel, though the trucks are coming from Egypt.

This is one of the most disgusting things I've seen, since it is done by regular civilians. Ostensibly this is supposed to be in order to pressure Hamas to release the hostages but that's some serious mental gymnastics.

I looked at some videos from the protest and most people there seem to be the Otzma Yehudit West Bank settler type. That this news item isn't making shock waves through Israeli media just shows that this mainstreamisation of fascism is proceeding in the classic way - let these people do it and afterwards shake your head and say you condemn these actions, while people grow more and more accepting of it.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I can't find a link, but what's very cool and good is Hulu has this commercial where it starts as a tourist ad for all the amazing things in Gaza, then cuts into the current devastation and says "That is what Gaza could have been, without Hamas".

Very cool and good that you can be actively engaged in genocide and capitalism means that as long as you pay the toll, you can just casually stream your propaganda. I mean, it's really only different in scale, I suppose, compared to flagrant lies in political campaign ads; I just hoped there would be a bar to clear and "this advertiser is actively killing Innocents and bombing hospitals and schools" would be that bar.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

WebDO posted:

I can't find a link, but what's very cool and good is Hulu has this commercial where it starts as a tourist ad for all the amazing things in Gaza, then cuts into the current devastation and says "That is what Gaza could have been, without Hamas".

Very cool and good that you can be actively engaged in genocide and capitalism means that as long as you pay the toll, you can just casually stream your propaganda. I mean, it's really only different in scale, I suppose, compared to flagrant lies in political campaign ads; I just hoped there would be a bar to clear and "this advertiser is actively killing Innocents and bombing hospitals and schools" would be that bar.

Here's a tweet that mentions it: https://x.com/LumpyLouish/status/1751042267043762630?s=20

In other news, the UK, Australia, Italy and Canada have followed the US in the disgracefully cynical move to cease funding UNWRA in order to punish Palestinians for the ICJ adjudication. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68104203
The responses from the governments of the UK, the US and Canada to the ICJ have all been atrocious. They are expending enormous political capital to do this and they're laying waste to the world's safety as a result.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WebDO posted:

For that to happen there'd have to be people who think Palestinians are human beings and not literally a fictional orc race created to be easily poo poo on and dehumanized separately from the rest of humanity.

Hulu even has more than one ad like that, we saw one starts out like it's an ad for that show Fauda or Homeland or something and is then like THE REAL MOVIE IS HERE and shows devastation and basically tries to act like if not for the IDF then YOUR children will die and Palestinians will destroy all of the Middle East and beyond. It works and makes people so loving scared and happy to accept that Palestinians all collectively are inhuman and deserve to be actively massacred, I loving hate it.

We just immediately cancelled Hulu because holy gently caress we don't need this poo poo on a thing I spend money on to watch What We Do in the Shadows or whatever. gently caress Hulu.

The vacation one is a very very long running propaganda thing, come to wonderful [settlement name now that we've taken it over] that's now beautiful and prosperous because we removed Plaestinians from it! "We brought prosperity" fuckapghp89q

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ummel posted:

Even if true, 12 out of 30,000 employees is absolutely insignificant.
Yeah, the information that's out now does not justify suspending payments. UNRWA has a duty to vet its employees but it's not reasonable to expect them to prevent anyone from slipping through. You'd need evidence of more systematic failings or higher-ups being aware that those employees were involved in the attacks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's very clearly retribution/distraction on behalf of Israel. If there were actual good reason and evidence that the org was compromised Israel would be screaming it everywhere.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Not that it makes this any less extremely hosed up, but who is this ad from? Apologies if it’s obvious, but I can’t watch with sound any time soon

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

toiletbrush posted:

Not that it makes this any less extremely hosed up, but who is this ad from? Apologies if it’s obvious, but I can’t watch with sound any time soon
The state of Israel, you can see the logo in the Twitter video. It is clearer to see in this earlier ad that was also being played on Hulu in December:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8b_Yl2bks

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Here's a tweet that mentions it: https://x.com/LumpyLouish/status/1751042267043762630?s=20

In other news, the UK, Australia, Italy and Canada have followed the US in the disgracefully cynical move to cease funding UNWRA in order to punish Palestinians for the ICJ adjudication. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68104203
The responses from the governments of the UK, the US and Canada to the ICJ have all been atrocious. They are expending enormous political capital to do this and they're laying waste to the world's safety as a result.

Can't help but notice that most of this appears to be using AI art. It's like they can't find a decent marketing team or are doing this on the cheap.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Are there any better sources than a tweet of a tiktok of a 3rd person recording of a television? I searched Google news, but there's no recent articles about this. The twitter account is claiming its "been taken down" with no proof.

edit- I'd think at least Al Jazeera would be reporting on something this insane.

ummel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 28, 2024

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Let's see what a modicum of effort digs up:

A.) It's not a new story: the Israeli government has been pushing anti-Gaza ads on a variety of platforms since October.

B.) Is the Youtube account of the National Public Diplomacy Directorate at the Prime Minister's Office of Israel good enough for you?

Now this doesn't prove that it was shown on Hulu. Perhaps some devious person on social media edited an existing Hasbara ad into what looks like a Hulu stream. Or we can take points A and B to reach a less convoluted conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaxKQrHE6U

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 28, 2024

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ummel posted:

edit- I'd think at least Al Jazeera would be reporting on something this insane.

This kind of propaganda isn't new or even considered insane to a lot of people, the only difference here it's that it's a TV ad popping up on streaming services and not Stand With Us dot com or MTA approved subway ads saying that Palestinians are savages and how if you don't support Israel than you are actively participating in the end of human civilization or the "What would YOU do?" posters or whatever other disgusting poo poo AIPAC/Israel is funding at the moment.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

Let's see what a modicum of effort digs up:

A.) It's not a new story: the Israeli government has been pushing anti-Gaza ads on a variety of platforms since October.

B.) Is the Youtube account of the National Public Diplomacy Directorate at the Prime Minister's Office of Israel good enough for you?

Now this doesn't prove that it was shown on Hulu. Perhaps some devious person on social media edited an existing Hasbara ad into what looks like a Hulu stream. Or we can take points A and B to reach a less convoluted conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaxKQrHE6U

Yeah that's good enough for me. Thanks.

Neo Rasa posted:

This kind of propaganda isn't new or even considered insane to a lot of people, the only difference here it's that it's a TV ad popping up on streaming services and not Stand With Us dot com or MTA approved subway ads saying that Palestinians are savages and how if you don't support Israel than you are actively participating in the end of human civilization or the "What would YOU do?" posters or whatever other disgusting poo poo AIPAC/Israel is funding at the moment.

Right, but usually the propaganda masters launder the more insane takes like this Hamas Don't Surf video through one of those organizations, not publish it directly on social media and then allegedly pay for streaming ads to push it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WOW, sorry we don't ACTUALLY think genocide is bad, we're just idiots falling for "Putin's Message."

https://news.yahoo.com/pelosi-wants-fbi-investigate-pro-165552030.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
You guys are getting paid? I've been showing up to Palestine protests for free.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i do it for the love of the game

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I hear Russia is also behind BLM, Hillary running a bad campaign, people being mad about inequality and rumors about Biden being a sex pest.

Putin also shat in Jerry Nadler's pants that one time.

Edit: To keep this a bit more relevant

https://twitter.com/FranceskAlbs/status/1751554749659324847

The UN special rapporteur on human rights in the occupied Palestinian territories thinks that defunding the UNRWA, as Biden has just done, may violate the Genocide Convention.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 28, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Esran posted:

The UN special rapporteur on human rights in the occupied Palestinian territories thinks that defunding the UNRWA, as Biden has just done, may violate the Genocide Convention.

it is the exact opposite of what the ICJ just ordered Israel to do regarding aid. seems explicitly genocidal to me.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Marenghi posted:

I do it because I'm evil.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/gantz-war-against-hamas-could-last-an-entire-generation-hostages-must-remain-top-priority/ posted:

War cabinet minister Benny Gantz tells residents of the evacuated southern communities that the war against Hamas could last “10 years, or even an entire generation"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/accusation-of-war-crimes-lodged-at-icj-against-idf-reservists-who-went-to-the-hague/ posted:

a social media post from one of the reservists came to light, in which he referenced the Amalekites, the biblical enemy of the ancient Israelites, in relation to Hamas

So it's a forever war against an Other, which is simultaneously so weak that victory is not in question, but so strong that a war against them could last a decade or more, and the conflict against the Other is cast in mythical terms, and Israel believes the Other has corrupted institutions like the UN.

:umberto:

Edit:

Just want to point out that Israel presumably hand picked these soldiers to go to The Hague. Do they really not have soldiers that are presentable enough that they can go to The Hague without becoming another bullet in the list of subjects the ICJ needs to look into?

Esran fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 29, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Marenghi posted:

Yeah getting more Soros bucks again, which raises more questions than usual actually.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I do it because I'm evil.
:same:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

World Famous W posted:

i do it for the love of the game

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, Israeli intelligence has determined where Hamas got the weapons used in the 10/7 attacks: from the Israeli military itself, usually in the form of weaponized unexploded ordnance as well as theft from poorly-guarded bases.
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/...keyword=dlvr.it

quote:

LONDON – Israeli military and intelligence officials have concluded that a significant number of weapons used by Hamas in the Oct 7 attacks and in the war in the Gaza Strip came from an unlikely source: the Israeli military itself.

For years, analysts have pointed to underground smuggling routes to explain how Hamas stayed so heavily armed despite an Israeli military blockade of the Gaza Strip.

But recent intelligence has shown the extent to which Hamas has been able to build many of its rockets and anti-tank weaponry out of the thousands of munitions that failed to detonate when Israel lobbed them into Gaza, according to weapons experts and Israeli and Western intelligence officials.

Hamas is also arming its fighters with weapons stolen from Israeli military bases.

Intelligence gathered during months of fighting revealed that, just as Israeli authorities misjudged Hamas’ intentions before Oct 7, they also underestimated its ability to obtain arms.

What is clear now is that the very weapons that Israeli forces have used to enforce a blockade of Gaza over the past 17 years are now being used against them.

Israeli and American military explosives have enabled Hamas to shower Israel with rockets and, for the first time, penetrate Israeli towns from Gaza.

“Unexploded ordnance is a main source of explosives for Hamas,” said Mr Michael Cardash, the former deputy head of the Israeli National Police Bomb Disposal Division and an Israeli police consultant.

“They are cutting open bombs from Israel, artillery bombs from Israel, and a lot of them are being used, of course, and repurposed for their explosives and rockets.”

Weapons experts say that roughly 10 percent of munitions typically fail to detonate, but in Israel’s case, the figure could be higher.

Israel’s arsenal includes Vietnam-era missiles, long discontinued by the United States and other military powers.

The failure rate on some of those missiles could be as high as 15 per cent, said one Israeli intelligence officer who, like others interviewed for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

By either count, years of sporadic bombing and the recent bombardment of Gaza have littered the area with thousands of tons of unexploded ordnance just waiting to be reused.

One 750-pound bomb that fails to detonate can become hundreds of missiles or rockets.

Hamas did not respond to messages seeking comment. The Israeli military said in a statement that it was committed to dismantling Hamas but did not answer specific questions about the group’s weapons.

Israeli officials knew before the October attacks that Hamas could salvage some Israeli-made weapons, but the scope has startled weapons experts and diplomats alike.

Israeli authorities also knew that their armouries were vulnerable to theft. A military report from early 2023 noted that thousands of bullets and hundreds of guns and grenades had been stolen from poorly guarded bases.

From there, the report said, some made their way to the West Bank, and others to Gaza by way of Sinai.

But the report focused on military security. The consequences were treated almost as an afterthought: “We are fuelling our enemies with our own weapons,” read one line of the report, which was viewed by The New York Times.

The consequences became apparent Oct 7.

Hours after Hamas breached the border, four Israeli soldiers discovered the body of a Hamas gunman who was killed outside the Re’im military base.

Hebrew writing was visible on a grenade on his belt, said one of the soldiers, who recognised it as a bulletproof Israeli grenade, a recent model.

Other Hamas fighters overran the base, and Israeli military officials say some weapons were looted and returned to Gaza.

A few miles away, members of an Israeli forensic team collected one of the 5,000 rockets fired by Hamas that day. Examining the rocket, they discovered that its military-grade explosives had most likely come from an unexploded Israeli missile fired into Gaza during a previous war, according to an Israeli intelligence officer.

One Western military official said that most of the explosives that Hamas is using in its war with Israel appear to have been manufactured using unexploded Israeli-launched munitions.

One example, the official said, was an explosive booby trap that killed 10 Israeli soldiers in December.

Hamas cannot manufacture everything. Some things are easier to buy from the black market and smuggle into Gaza.

Sinai, the largely uninhabited desert region between Israel, Egypt and the Gaza Strip, remains a hub for arms smuggling.

Weapons from conflicts in Libya, Eritrea and Afghanistan have been discovered in Sinai, according to Israeli intelligence assessments.

According to two Israeli intelligence officials, at least a dozen small tunnels were still running between Gaza and Egypt before Oct 7.

A spokesperson for the Egyptian government said its military had done its part to shut down tunnels on its side of the border. “Many of the weapons currently inside the Gaza Strip are the result of smuggling from within Israel,” the spokesperson said in an email.

But the besieged streets of Gaza are increasingly a source of weapons.

Israel estimates that it has conducted at least 22,000 strikes on Gaza since Oct 7. Each often involves multiple rounds, meaning tens of thousands of munitions have likely been dropped or fired – and thousands failed to detonate.

“Artillery, hand grenades, other munitions – tens of thousands of unexploded ordnance will be left after this war,” said Mr Charles Birch, the head of the UN Mine Action Service in Gaza. These “are like a free gift to Hamas.” NYTIMES

There's really no stopping this. Israel drops more bombs in any modern conflict, a bunch fail to detonate and end up being used by Hamas to fight back the Israelis. The IDF is such a loving Keystone Kops operation that has been relying on their reputation from the 1967 war, when their army is so poorly trained that they can't keep their loving armories from getting looted. And they want to kick the Palestinians into the Sinai, where they will just get even more access to black market arms.

There is no military solution for Israel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
oh that arms sourcing stuff is VERY interesting. I can't think of another conflict I've heard of where one side's major supply of explosives was UXO, which admittedly doesn't mean there aren't any. Maybe those Indian communists loot landmines and shells or something.

uxo salvaging is one of those jobs that requires a spectacular amount of balls, and I guess technically Hamas is reducing the net amount of uxo in Palestine with its exports

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Israeli intelligence has determined where Hamas got the weapons used in the 10/7 attacks: from the Israeli military itself, usually in the form of weaponized unexploded ordnance as well as theft from poorly-guarded bases.

Israel is hoist with their own petard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Israeli government official takes part in pro-genocide conference.

https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751658912175010010?s=20
https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751684917321257153?s=20

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

As Minister of National security the police technically answer to him right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

Yes.

And a dozen ministers attended the genocide conference. Doing South Africa's work for it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The fact so many countries have cancelled aid funding at this critical time, while the Israeli gov is taking part in a genocide conference. It feels like the ICJ investigation should be extended to them for supporting a genocide.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The US is like "oh you think this is genocide, we'll show you genocide" and then cuts off all food going into Gaza.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/israel-middle-east/unrwa-staff-took-part-in-oct-7-massacre-and-kidnapping-report-details

I dunno guys, there's some unbiased reporting that says UNRWA is very compromised.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

even accepting Israel's claim at face value wouldn't suggest that the entire org is compromised.

at the same time, the only evidence they have put forth is phone calls and text messages, the exact kind of evidence they have blatantly falsified multiple times since 10/7.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Right, they first said they got the information from forced confessions. Then they manufacture some calls just like they have months past and make some fake dossier. I'm sure all very above board like the proof that the hospitals are actually command and control centers.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/israel-middle-east/unrwa-staff-took-part-in-oct-7-massacre-and-kidnapping-report-details posted:

Israel’s biggest criticism of UNRWA is that unlike the UNHCR, the agency defines refugee status as hereditary and irrespective of citizenship in other countries, resulting in the number of Palestinian refugees increasing over time.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1751480836682399772

Israel openly wants to get rid of the UNRWA, because Israel wants ethnically cleansed Palestinians to stay out and not get ideas about their kids returning later.

E2M2 posted:

Right, they first said they got the information from forced confessions. Then they manufacture some calls just like they have months past and make some fake dossier. I'm sure all very above board like the proof that the hospitals are actually command and control centers.

I'm sure the intelligence they obtained is very legit, and the people in those phone calls don't pronounce it "Khamas".

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It feels like the 'intercepted' phone calls going "Yeah, this is Khamas Bob, we totally bombed those ambulances muahaha, unlike those stalwart IDF who never would!" were, like, 6 years ago instead of 3 months.

Funny how that and the 'IDF would never attack an hospital. Or that one. Or that one.' lines were memory holed. Gotta make room for new narratives, I guess, and keep the sources credible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

punishedkissinger posted:

What is the equivilent of ministers in US government?

Like who would Ben Gvir be compare to?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's been overshadowed by Gaza, but Israeli real estate developers and settlers have been encroaching into the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem for months now. There's been a land deal between the Armenian Patriarch Nourhan Manougian and Australian developer Danny Rothman and his company, Xana Gardens, to buy the Cow's Garden area of the Quarter for a hotel entertainment complex. The Armenian community, who have lived there for 1600 years, didn't take this lightly and protested against the deal and it took Jordan and the Palestinian Authority threat to revoke the recognition of the Patriarchate, which forced the Patriarch to relented in late October.

Since then, Israeli settlers have been assaulting Armenians, tearing down fences, and attempt to bulldoze sections of the Quarter. Here's a thread I caught off Bluesky, with links to the news articles mentioned in the thread.

https://www.newarab.com/investigations/israeli-firm-attack-jerusalems-armenians

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2023/11/24/we-wont-leave-armenians-in-jerusalem-push-back-against-armed-settlers

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israeli-settlers-jerusalem-take-over-armenian-quarter-force

https://www.newarab.com/investigations/ben-gvir-associate-settlers-intimidate-jerusalem-armenians

https://www.newarab.com/analysis/how-secret-land-sales-threaten-jerusalems-armenian-quarter

https://mondoweiss.net/2023/06/jerusalems-armenian-community-fears-erasure-after-controversial-land-deal/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

What is the equivilent of ministers in US government?

Like who would Ben Gvir be compare to?

Secretary of Homeland Security? We dont have an equivalent.

I see that Israeli protesters are able to stop aid from entering Gaza and it makes complete sense when this guy and others like him run the police. They're very capable of clearing out, say, peace protesters with extreme violence. Genocidal settlers though? It's complicated.