Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The Van Halen one is a pin that came on the strap with a guitar, and has probably been on the strap since 1984. Radio station concert promo item, I think

Guitar dates to 1980, strap would be around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oops "won" an auction for a ukulele

at least it was cheap

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

widefault posted:

The Van Halen one is a pin that came on the strap with a guitar, and has probably been on the strap since 1984. Radio station concert promo item, I think

Guitar dates to 1980, strap would be around the same time.

That's a Portland radio station and has been for a very long time it seems.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

That's a Portland radio station and has been for a very long time it seems.

Yep, I looked into it when I got the guitar as it also had a KGON sticker on it for the 15th anniversary of the station, which would have been 1988 per Wikipedia.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Portland is a good radio town so I never really listened but they did lots of promo so I was for sure aware of them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

widefault posted:

Picked up a couple cheap "vintage" hippie straps.

Ending up with quite a bunch, but normally use a couple newish wide leather straps and an ancient pink polyester Ernie Ball

cool straps! if anyone reading this wants something similar i've been a big fan of Couch straps for a while and highly highly recommend them

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Collector Effector's Tonebender Mk1 by Pat Brown, hammered gold finish. Snarls like a prehistoric beast.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Thumposaurus posted:

at least it was cheap

I appreciate the brand name they went with for this.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

Collector Effector's Tonebender Mk1 by Pat Brown, hammered gold finish. Snarls like a prehistoric beast.

tone!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tone! Tone! Tone!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

I appreciate the brand name they went with for this.

Named for the town it was made in, no just kidding. Yes, there is a Badaxe MI.

LOL a hollow body V uke LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

at least it was cheap

Be a Winner!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

Tone! Tone! Tone!

lol at calling the ability to combine 24 instruments "576 variations". Thats not even mathematically correct.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

petit choux posted:

Named for the town it was made in, no just kidding. Yes, there is a Badaxe MI.

LOL a hollow body V uke LOL

It has a pickup under the saddle too!
So that means I can run it through a metal zone or deathmetal pedal if I'm feeling spicy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

Be a Winner!

That's the double-neck. But still, be a vinner! Play some Children of Bodom on it!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rutibex posted:

lol at calling the ability to combine 24 instruments "576 variations". Thats not even mathematically correct.

It's a very interesting combination of really cheap and bad with interesting and good. Each voice is apparently 4 different samples up and down the keyboard and you can tell which one without listening too hard. And the different "rhythms" are repetitions of samples that don't go together seamlessly so like every 4 bars you hear a tiny hesitation or glitch and stuff, LOL. And yet it has MIDI in and out, better speakers than others at that price point and it sounds warmer. And the synth function lets you modify the attack and sustain for every voice. And the pitchbend are buttons and you can press both and get some cool weird sounds. All in all I'd really love to have some buds I could get high with and gently caress around with this poo poo but I'm living on the eastern shore, guitar band/halfass hip hop country.

But I've been on an instrument buying binge. Probably going to flip most of them, maybe try my hand at circuit bending one or two. I was also thinking I could probably just take the keyboard and speakers off of one, preferably with an angle grinder or a reciprocating saw, and put the important bits and the panel in a smaller enclosure. Some of these cheap Yamahas boast like 600 voices including general MIDI and the XG lite set. It's like a very nice MIDI player if you don't need the keyboard and speakers. I think that's a much nicer solution than getting those tiny MIDI players I've been seeing on ebay and such.

BonHair posted:

That's the double-neck. But still, be a vinner! Play some Children of Bodom on it!

Back in the 70s there was a very high quality bike manufacturer, Weiner, who changed their name to Viner for the sake of American vulgarity.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, a little jelly

Thumposaurus posted:

So that means I can run it through a metal zone or deathmetal pedal if I'm feeling spicy.

Sort of a heavier Tiny Tim

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
check guitar center it was down to180. not cheap but not $300

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

epic 2012 username posted:

check guitar center it was down to180. not cheap but not $300

You talking about a Crave? You can't buy from Sweetwater up there?

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

petit choux posted:

You talking about a Crave? You can't buy from Sweetwater up there?

???? no the andromeda

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i’ve been interested in the Andromeda because envelope followers are the best things in all of Guitar Effects World

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

i’ve been interested in the Andromeda because envelope followers are the best things in all of Guitar Effects World

That and digital delays, yeah

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought a set of black bobbin’s special lollar pickups for my American original jazzmaster. Really stoked to try them?

I may be in the market for some new JM pickups, lemme know how it goes.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

„You play music? Cool! What do you play?“
„feedback“

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I feel compelled to leave this here: https://youtu.be/tOUbZJbkHNw

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Can’t recommend it enough. Wish I had gotten it originally instead of springing for the X.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Should post this here, I suppose

2021 Squier Affinity Jazzmaster, but they don't say Affinity on them anywhere. Color is Burgundy Mist, also comes in Lake Placid Blue with a black guard.

Very good out of the box, no sharp fret ends, bridge set up to float slightly. Sounds good, although the pickusp are P90s under Jazzmaster covers.

The adjustable pole pieces gives that away.

Overall, for $279.99 plus tax, it's a deal. Fender/Squier is doing very good things on the low end.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

boop the snoot posted:

Can’t recommend it enough. Wish I had gotten it originally instead of springing for the X.

Yeah, jelly. I still need a powerful sampler. This is one of the ones I was looking at. Oh hey, it's boop the snoot, nice to see you.

widefault posted:

Should post this here, I suppose

2021 Squier Affinity Jazzmaster, but they don't say Affinity on them anywhere. Color is Burgundy Mist, also comes in Lake Placid Blue with a black guard.

Very good out of the box, no sharp fret ends, bridge set up to float slightly. Sounds good, although the pickusp are P90s under Jazzmaster covers.

The adjustable pole pieces gives that away.

Overall, for $279.99 plus tax, it's a deal. Fender/Squier is doing very good things on the low end.

Yes they are. I remember when a Squier was the kid's guitar.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

petit choux posted:

Yeah, jelly. I still need a powerful sampler. This is one of the ones I was looking at. Oh hey, it's boop the snoot, nice to see you.

I love it. I have the X but I think it is an incredibly ugly piece of equipment. I got the regular Live 2 for the portability about a month ago and then on a whim decided to trade it in for a retro after I found a place that had them in stock (I didn’t look very hard first time around admittedly).

The retro is just so 😍 to me. And hanging out outside when the weather is nice and banging out some beats is the most zen way I can spend time.

Unfortunately the Live 2 wasn’t available when I bought the X — I missed it by just a few months. But I still love the X because it was my safe space away from the world during COVID so
I’ll never part with it for sentimental reasons :unsmith:

That’s way too many words to say get the Live 2. It’s rad. It will probably be my centerpiece for a long LONG time barring it having any technical issues.

E: nothing more zen

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 17, 2021

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

no broccoli please posted:

I may be in the market for some new JM pickups, lemme know how it goes.

They're amazing and I love them. I went to my practice space yesterday and ran the JM through my AC-15 and it just sounds wonderful. The sharp highs from the bridge pickup are gone without losing the chime, and the neck pickup has a great punchiness that I really love. Really gets a "chunk chunk chunk" sound for rhythm parts. I'm not a fan of middle position on any guitar but I accidentally knocked it into middle at some point and didn't get upset about it. I already loved this guitar and now it's even better.

My only regret from the entire process is having my guitar tech pull the treble bleed circuit off the volume pot while he was in there. I thought for some reason I wouldn't need it anymore, but the pot still sucks and needs a treble bleed. I'm going to put it back in myself this weekend.

10/10 recommend.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 17, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is not my bag but it's still purty.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

That is not my bag but it's still purty.

Sunburst is the best burst behind Durstburst.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 18, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Sunburst is the best burst behind Durstburst.

Haha. What the gently caress?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Haha. What the gently caress?

It's a dumb guitar meme and the only reason I know about it is I'm friends with the guy that made the guitar for Chibson. It's real. I held it.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Is that stain color called Chocolate Starfish?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

That’s way too many words to say get the Live 2. It’s rad. It will probably be my centerpiece for a long LONG time barring it having any technical issues.

Every day I find new love for mine. Yesterday I hooked it up to my modular using it's cv/gate outs and ran the audio back into the Live 2. I found a patch I really really like, but it's modular and the string of cables generally comes and goes and great patches along with it. I switched over to sampler mode, and changed it over to key mode sampling, so it did the entire range of keys sampled of that patch and I have it saved on my MPC forever as a program. loving amazing.

Being able to plug any synth into this thing and have it sample it all into a program is arraaafgh awesome. AND YOU CAN PLAY IT ALL BACK IN 16 NOTE POLY.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Philthy posted:

Every day I find new love for mine. Yesterday I hooked it up to my modular using it's cv/gate outs and ran the audio back into the Live 2. I found a patch I really really like, but it's modular and the string of cables generally comes and goes and great patches along with it. I switched over to sampler mode, and changed it over to key mode sampling, so it did the entire range of keys sampled of that patch and I have it saved on my MPC forever as a program. loving amazing.

Being able to plug any synth into this thing and have it sample it all into a program is arraaafgh awesome. AND YOU CAN PLAY IT ALL BACK IN 16 NOTE POLY.

Extremely jelly.

$5 guitar

Filthiest guitar I've ever known. Just hit it with 3 washes w/ Murphy's Oil Soap, and it could use more. I'm going to let it dry for 24 hrs though, then try something oil-based.

Here's the biggeset problem with it:

And I think I'll probably do what Lightning Hopkins would do, which is stick some crazy glue under there and go eat some Sterno.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Is that one still made in USA? Look inside the sound hole for a stamp that starts with S-xx or F-xx. F is first half of year, S is second half of year, and the xx is the year it was made if still Made in USA.

And I should have a picture here of an Amazon Warehouse return Firefly FFDCD in transparent red, but when it arrived it was the FFDCS, in sunburst, and the neck was broken, so it went back to Amazon within an hour of getting it. First time I got a dud from the Warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Is that one still made in USA? Look inside the sound hole for a stamp that starts with S-xx or F-xx. F is first half of year, S is second half of year, and the xx is the year it was made if still Made in USA.

Hey wow, I couldn't see it the first time, but with the aid of my camera I can read it. S-72A, Made in USA. Have I accidentally found some kind of treasure here? ED: if you can tell me anything about this guitar I'd appreciate it. Like what model, maybe what does the A at the end of the datestamp signify, anything.

BTW, this is not my new guitar, but I had it in pieces for years and finally reassembled it last night:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 20, 2021