Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I'm not sure that will work, those are made to stick to glass and I think pretty much all TV's now have a plastic screen.

If you buy some Plexiglas definitely get a sheet that is big enough in all dimensions, joining a cut edge together would be very difficult to get right and will look like a big crack even when done perfectly.

A 24" x 48" x 1/16" acrylic sheet will run you $32 + shipping from McMaster-Carr, or $28 + free shipping from ebay.

Y'know, I was trying to remember the "McMaster-Carr" name yesterday, because I was sure they'd have a decent product on offer for this situation. That's a little pricey, but not outlandishly so. And yeah, thanks for confirming my suspicions about trying to join two sheets.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you want a sheet of thin plastic, just go to a plastic store and ask for a sheet of thin plastic. Just make sure to get one with protective film on both sides if you don't want it to come pre-scratched.

I don't think I've ever seen a "plastic store". Is there some other term I can search by? I mean, Home Depot has a few plexiglass sheets, but their prices are absurd and they also stop at 1/8" thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I posted a a few days ago about my electric dryer's auto dry function not working..(Likely due to a failed timer) Welp I discovered last night after running a cycle, that the dryer never got hot at all, even on timed cycle. Element doesn't appear to heat up.

Will be tearing into it tonight, hope it is as simple as the element. Unless the timer broke further and is not engaging the heating element period.

Edit: It was the drat timer. Element contacts inside the timer where basically melted.

Well at least auto dry will probably work again!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 9, 2019

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'know, I was trying to remember the "McMaster-Carr" name yesterday, because I was sure they'd have a decent product on offer for this situation. That's a little pricey, but not outlandishly so. And yeah, thanks for confirming my suspicions about trying to join two sheets.

I don't think I've ever seen a "plastic store". Is there some other term I can search by? I mean, Home Depot has a few plexiglass sheets, but their prices are absurd and they also stop at 1/8" thick.

TapPlastics, ePlastics, USPlastics are all alternatives to McMaster. Plexiglass is one option but if you don't need it to be clear, check out PVC foam board for a cheaper option.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wandering Orange posted:

TapPlastics, ePlastics, USPlastics are all alternatives to McMaster. Plexiglass is one option but if you don't need it to be clear, check out PVC foam board for a cheaper option.

Thanks, it's going over a TV screen so transparency is a little important. :v: There's a TAP Plastics in San Francisco, kind of a pain to get to, but good to know it's available. The other names you listed aren't anywhere near me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sorry I can't help you there but if this city has one I'm sure there's one near you. (On the off-chance that you're in Finland, go to Etra/Etola.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Window replacement companies can also get you plexiglass, cut to size. Those are all over.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Plexiglass is really, really easy to cut if you have a table, a straightedge, and a plexi cutting knife (which is only a few bucks). You score it with the knife, slide the score mark past the edge of the table, and press down to snap off the excess on the score line.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My window air conditioners are due for a cleaning this year. I’ve never cleaned them before in the 6 years I’ve had them.

How do I do this safely? Do I just spray some simple green in the grates and hose it off?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ah the joys of home ownership..

While pulling my dryer out of its space to repair it.. I discovered the quarter turn shutoff valves on my washer hookups are leaking just a bit around the handles. Looking under the hookup box, you can see the water has been seeping down the PEX and down into the wall. So now I get to tear some drywall out and see what is rotted and replace the valves. Yay!

Must have been some lovely quality valves; they are only 5 years old and already leaking.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So, I've inherited a lovely house. (Subtitle: what is a roof?)

If it rains for 5 straight days I get very minor leaks in two locations. If it rains one day everything is fine.

Got some asphalt tiles missing since the last hurricane.

Apparently replacing roof tiles costs thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Wtf. Why am I paying people thousands of dollars to put goop and tiles that fly away on my house? Why don't we just make the roof waterproof using materials that don't biodegrade in my lifetime?

Someone tell me why I shouldn't just flex seal my roof and call it job done.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It does not cost thousands of dollars if it only needs a few repair tabs. Have you gotten someone to look at it? Was the house not insured during the storm that caused the damage? How old is the roof?

No you can't flex seal it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No, idk, idk.

Have you seen the flex seal commercials tho? They made a screen door boat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kharmakazy posted:

Why don't we just make the roof waterproof using materials that don't biodegrade in my lifetime?
It's called a metal roof. It lasts for 50+ years. Go for it

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

No, idk, idk.

Have you seen the flex seal commercials tho? They made a screen door boat.

So where are you getting a tens of thousands dollars quote from if no one has looked at it?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Google. Trying to gauge the price on like 40 different webpages all link back to the same tools.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

My house had a roof leak in our roof last year. Cost like $300-ish to have patched by a professional roofer to replace a dozen or so shingles. Oh, and they came out for an estimate for free. I know asphalt roofs aren’t the same as shingles, but I find it hard to believe the numbers would be *that* different.

Maybe costs are higher in your area or you need really extensive work or whatever, but if someone is legitimately quoting you tens of thousands for just patching a few tiles, I’d really really get a second opinion and make sure they’re not screwing you.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It would also be me screwing myself for not understanding any of the underlying concepts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Don't believe online estimates; they have no idea about the specifics of your situation. Call contractors, ask them to come out and give you a quote. Get at least three quotes unless it's under $500.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is it possible to paint particle board/MDF kitchen cabinets? The laminate is peeling off some of my cabinets and it would be nice to fix that up

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Do you mean you want want to remove the laminate entirely and repaint the bare wood? Particle board looks really crappy when painted unless you basically spackle & sand the entire surface first to get it smooth. MDF is better since the surface is smooth and uniform. In either case you are going to have to completely remove the glue first. Do you live in a humid climate? From what I understand cabinets in the south are often treated as disposable for this reason.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Don't believe online estimates; they have no idea about the specifics of your situation. Call contractors, ask them to come out and give you a quote. Get at least three quotes unless it's under $500.

Absolutely this. I went looking for online estimates to get my siding redone that put me at around 20K. Got three real life estimates and they all came in well under that number.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, redirect me as needed.

I have a huge basement with concrete walls, and I want to take a part of it and set up some pegboard so I can hang manly, guy stuff off it Star Wars toys. Looking online, a few places recommend drilling holes with an impact drill into the concrete and mounting wood strips, and then mounting the pegboard to the wood strips.

With my walls here, where would be the ideal place to put the wood, if that's even the best idea? And what wood should I use? There are sections with little holes in them already, I'm not sure if I should use those "cracks" that are already there, or a fresh area.

The pegboard sheets I have are about as long as two "sections" of the concrete when turned sideways, and close to 1 length when vertical.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Medullah posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, redirect me as needed.

I have a huge basement with concrete walls, and I want to take a part of it and set up some pegboard so I can hang manly, guy stuff off it Star Wars toys. Looking online, a few places recommend drilling holes with an impact drill into the concrete and mounting wood strips, and then mounting the pegboard to the wood strips.

With my walls here, where would be the ideal place to put the wood, if that's even the best idea? And what wood should I use? There are sections with little holes in them already, I'm not sure if I should use those "cracks" that are already there, or a fresh area.

The pegboard sheets I have are about as long as two "sections" of the concrete when turned sideways, and close to 1 length when vertical.

Is there an exposed sill plate at the top of the wall? —the board on the top of the concrete foundation that the joists sit on.

I used those same peg handipanels, framed them in 1x2s on the back to hold them away from the wall (so hooks have a place to go through) then hung the whole assembly from the top with construction screws into the sill plate. You could put a bead of construction adhesive between those 1x2s and the concrete for good measure.

The sill plate might be set back, but you can probably shim it with a 2x2.

Extra tip: use cup washers and wood screws to attach the pegboard to your furring strips for a clean look.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 10, 2019

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I have a very old bedroom that has 3 walls of plaster and lath. About a fifth of it is crumbling or visibly cracked, another fifth is noticeably loose behind many layers of wallpaper, and the rest has various amounts of bowing and deformation.

Is there any conceivable reason not to knock it all out and drywall instead of patching and painting?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Other than it being a huge pain in the rear end, messy as hell and likely to be about 800 lbs of demo rubbish?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Plus almost certainly lead and maybe asbestos.

For a bedroom, I’d just knock off the loose poo poo and sheetrock over the plaster and lathe, personally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a perfect use case for 1/8 or 1/4" sheetrock - just encapsulate that poo poo. If it's really uneven then use 1/2" drywall and shim it up so you can rock it flat.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This is the general vibe of the worst and best parts of the walls.

If I just covered the old with drywall, is any of the looseness or bowing worth worrying about, or does that all get screwed in nice and tight?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Those walls are in really poor shape. I’d personally go with the 1/2” and get a big rear end level and shim it out as needed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

eddiewalker posted:

Is there an exposed sill plate at the top of the wall? —the board on the top of the concrete foundation that the joists sit on.

I used those same peg handipanels, framed them in 1x2s on the back to hold them away from the wall (so hooks have a place to go through) then hung the whole assembly from the top with construction screws into the sill plate. You could put a bead of construction adhesive between those 1x2s and the concrete for good measure.

The sill plate might be set back, but you can probably shim it with a 2x2.

Extra tip: use cup washers and wood screws to attach the pegboard to your furring strips for a clean look.

Hmmm that might work - any chance you could show me a pic of how you have it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stupid puma posted:

Those walls are in really poor shape. I’d personally go with the 1/2” and get a big rear end level and shim it out as needed.

Agreed. Those look too far gone to do a successful 1/8" job.

But the real test is getting that bigass straightedge on the walls all over to see just how far out they are. But they look like they're gonna be too far.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey DIY long time reader first time poster.

Does this look like asbestos to you? It’s a hard surface, not as soft as the texture appears. Looks like it was blown in a liquid form maybe and hardened? It’s all across an exposed roof in a building I work in and they frequently do work on it, so the normal “don’t disturb it” advice doesn’t seem to apply. Drilled through it to install wireless access points recently for example. Covers the entire ceiling - lots of beams, vent ducts etc. They’ve run newer infrastructure (fire suppression system, internet, etc) over the top of it.

Old government building for what that’s worth.

Second question: if it is, how worried should I be? Like I said they seem to work on it semi-often and my office is about twenty feet from where I took that pic. I’ve got a false ceiling etc but I assume I’m getting the same AC etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does this look like asbestos to you? It’s a hard surface, not as soft as the texture appears. Looks like it was blown in a liquid form maybe and hardened? It’s all across an exposed roof in a building I work in and they frequently do work on it, so the normal “don’t disturb it” advice doesn’t seem to apply. Drilled through it to install wireless access points recently for example. Covers the entire ceiling - lots of beams, vent ducts etc. They’ve run newer infrastructure (fire suppression system, internet, etc) over the top of it.

Second question: if it is, how worried should I be? Like I said they seem to work on it semi-often and my office is about twenty feet from where I took that pic. I’ve got a false ceiling etc but I assume I’m getting the same AC etc.

That stuff always sketched me out. It's spray applied fire proofing to help prevent steel beams from melting. I was always told it's gypsum/cement and mysteries, not asbestos, but we loving loved our asbestos. This was in the Aon building in downtown LA which actually did burn once, and according to their informational video is the basis for high rise firefighting.

That doesn't mean that you want to be breathing it in, it's still going to shed ultrafine dust. But I've had several chest xrays since working there, no signs of asbestos. They also rarely worked on it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Looks exactly like my work area. They just sprayed this 2 years ago, so I assume it’s cool.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can be confident that it's not asbestos if the building is post-1980 construction. Also, they'd be breaking a bunch of rules if they do work on asbestos containing materials without precautions and tenant notifications, so hopefully...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

glynnenstein posted:

You can be confident that it's not asbestos if the building is post-1980 construction. Also, they'd be breaking a bunch of rules if they do work on asbestos containing materials without precautions and tenant notifications, so hopefully...

It’s not post 1980 i know that much. 60s iirc.

As for tenant notifications its all government with a healthy dose of military.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s not post 1980 i know that much. 60s iirc.

As for tenant notifications its all government with a healthy dose of military.

Good luck!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Question on ceiling fans. We had our builder put in an extra switch on the bedroom lights for future ceiling fans we'd put in, but we're running into trouble figuring out fans that actually do that. We want one switch to control the light on the fan, and the other to control the fan itself. Seems they're either remote, or they include their own wall control unit.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Omne posted:

Question on ceiling fans. We had our builder put in an extra switch on the bedroom lights for future ceiling fans we'd put in, but we're running into trouble figuring out fans that actually do that. We want one switch to control the light on the fan, and the other to control the fan itself. Seems they're either remote, or they include their own wall control unit.
I can't say for sure that every single fan is capable of installing the way you want, but I can say I've never seen one that wasn't, including ones that come with remotes. You just skip the step where it has you install the receiver for the remote, and just wire the fan and light directly to your existing wiring.

Edit for clarity - the only limiting factor is whether or not there is a pull chain for the fan - Sans a remote, you obviously need a chain to control the speed.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

The cheapest fan home depot sells had it. I would be shocked if you found one that didn't.

And you can use a fan speed controller in leui of a chain or remote, but I would use the chain or remote. It looks like a dimmer but it's not. A dimmer will make your fan sad.