Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was watching the newest ManlyBadassHero video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFg0zUU3cQw

39 minutes is a lot to sit through but jeeze this game is just... confusing and doesn't seem good. Then I found out it's by the dev who did Dead Dreams and Hedera and I didn't like either of those either, especially considering how the story was handled in both of those games, so they're still batting 1000 regarding their games having pointlessly confusing/poorly explained plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blockhouse posted:

At this point what you're asking for is basically just Phasmophobia 2, with the amount of time and work it would take to redo every graphic in the game

Not really, just facelift things as updates get released so it slowly starts looking better. Splitting the playerbase right now with a sequel wouldn't help much, but redoing visuals bit by bit would be cool. I mean, jesus christ the video cameras in the game have the Unity logo on them, I'm curious as to how much of the visual stuff is actually made for the game and not bought off of a storefront.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty confidant there are no original assets in Phasmophobia outside of like the menus. The character models are probably MakeHuman with Mixamo animations and I recognize at least half the levels. But the game is good and if the choice is spend time on more content or spend time making marginally better assets the choice is kind of clear.

That's the conundrum with game assets, they have diminished returns. Like HQ Residential House is a meme at this point but that's because it's a professional quality asset. You could make something better but even with a sizeable budget it becomes a question of how much better?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Happy Holidays, everyone!

https://twitter.com/HauntedPs1/status/1333833243234164743

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I could use a recommendation, because my searching skills have largely failed me. My mother is... picky, when it comes to video games, but she likes horror and horror games (when I was a teenager, we played Eternal Darkness together and it's still pretty much her favorite video game ever). However, she's also been through rheumatoid arthritis and is in her fifties, and is not entirely well-versed in standard game controls, so she can't really play anything that requires any sort of reaction time. She also gets anxiety sometimes (she stopped playing Pikmin 3 Deluxe because she was too anxious about her Pikmin dying, which is pretty relatable actually). So, to help expand her library (she literally only plays Animal Crossing and Wario's Woods at this point), I'm looking for a game that is the following:

-Horror-related (best if it's psychological horror or generally works more on creeping dread than on gore/monsters/jumpscares because she doesn't like those, though she enjoys The Walking Dead enough that zombies should be fine)
-On the Switch (she's been working from home all year and basically can't stand to use her laptop after quittin' time these days)
-Allows the player to proceed at their own pace and doesn't demand quick reflexes or reaction times.
-Isn't too complicated (I've seen her grumble at Animal Crossing for having too many buttons for things)
-Lasts more than like an hour (I may enjoy a little Alpha Beta Gamer now and then, but I want to get my mother something that'll last a bit longer than most of those titles)

Like, the kinds of games that come to my mind are things like Sweet Home or maybe even Parasite Eve, where you've got the horror, but also they're turn-based RPGs where the player isn't under a ton of pressure to be Good At Video Games. Stealth-based gameplay might work if it focuses mostly on recognizing patterns and choosing the right moment to move, rather than moving quickly or hiding under pressure (Little Nightmares comes to mind, but I haven't played it myself, and from the footage I've seen it looks like there's a fair bit of platforming and fleeing going on, which would likely be a problem). I'm probably threading a pretty tight needle here, so I thought I'd seek out some opinions, especially as indie horror games have a pretty bad wheat-to-chaff ratio. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Walking sims and adventure games sound like just what she needs. Just looking at what's available on the Switch I would recommend these to any casual players:

Layers of Fear
Detention
Observer
Stories Untold
The Last Door
Bulb Boy
Friday the 13th Killer Puzzle
Amnesia Collection (Dark Descent is on the challenging side but A Machine for Pigs has very few reflex moments)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does it absolutely have to be on the switch? Because point and click games are pretty easy on the hands and not processor intensive. Things like Fran Bow, The Cat Lady, Detention, things like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detention is the stand out of those, one of my favourite horror games of recent years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah if your mom has an iPhone or iPad then I would actually recommend an Apple Arcade subscription because there's a good deal of low intensity but quality games in varying styles.

Ooh, I see Jenny LeClue is on Switch. I 100% recommend that and she probably has nostalgia for Nancy Drew.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does it absolutely have to be on the switch? Because point and click games are pretty easy on the hands and not processor intensive. Things like Fran Bow, The Cat Lady, Detention, things like that.

Like I said, she pretty much never uses her laptop anymore outside of work, because it reminds her of work. Like, she's played games on it in the past, but as things are, she likely won't be playing anything on it until the vaccine is done and distributed, at the earliest. She's even played some stuff like Gone Home already.

al-azad posted:

Yeah if your mom has an iPhone or iPad then I would actually recommend an Apple Arcade subscription because there's a good deal of low intensity but quality games in varying styles.

Ooh, I see Jenny LeClue is on Switch. I 100% recommend that and she probably has nostalgia for Nancy Drew.

She's on Android, and she was never a Nancy Drew kid. I should clarify that she's in her early fifties, and her Breakfast Club archetype was Ally Sheedy, so her nostalgia is more, like, David Bowie and Night of the Comet and stuff like that. That said, that game looks kinda quirky and cute and she might be into it for those reasons so it's something to consider.

al-azad posted:

Walking sims and adventure games sound like just what she needs. Just looking at what's available on the Switch I would recommend these to any casual players:

Layers of Fear
Detention
Observer
Stories Untold
The Last Door
Bulb Boy
Friday the 13th Killer Puzzle
Amnesia Collection (Dark Descent is on the challenging side but A Machine for Pigs has very few reflex moments)

Most of those seem like they'd work, but I don't think The Last Door or Bulb Boy's aesthetics would jive with her, and she's always disliked "mascot slashers" like Friday the 13th. Stories Untold was already kind of on my radar as something that might be up her alley, but I had no idea how it played, so it's good to know that it's not demanding. And everybody talks up Detention so much that it's definitely worth a shot. Layers of Fear also looks like a strong contender, and Observer could go either way (sometimes it's hard to predict what will and won't appeal to her). Not related to your list, but she's already got Oxenfree on PC, IIRC, or I'd go for that, too. I'll keep an eye on the thread, but these are some pretty great ideas already.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 1, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

Like, the kinds of games that come to my mind are things like Sweet Home or maybe even Parasite Eve, where you've got the horror, but also they're turn-based RPGs where the player isn't under a ton of pressure to be Good At Video Games. Stealth-based gameplay might work if it focuses mostly on recognizing patterns and choosing the right moment to move, rather than moving quickly or hiding under pressure (Little Nightmares comes to mind, but I haven't played it myself, and from the footage I've seen it looks like there's a fair bit of platforming and fleeing going on, which would likely be a problem). I'm probably threading a pretty tight needle here, so I thought I'd seek out some opinions, especially as indie horror games have a pretty bad wheat-to-chaff ratio. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Graveyard Keeper is basically horror-themed animal crossing. There's a little combat but it's really simple, doesn't require reflexes, and you can get upgrades that make it basically unloseable anyway (and it's also completely optional if she just sleeps through the night and crafts the dungeon items instead of going into the dungeon for them, and buys the monster parts from the witches store).

The Ace Attorney games aren't horror, but they're fun if you like goofy humor and require zero coordination to play.
If she likes those, Dagan Ronpa is basically horror themed Ace Attorney, but isn't currently available on Switch AFAIK.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheAnomaly posted:

Graveyard Keeper is basically horror-themed animal crossing. There's a little combat but it's really simple, doesn't require reflexes, and you can get upgrades that make it basically unloseable anyway (and it's also completely optional if she just sleeps through the night and crafts the dungeon items instead of going into the dungeon for them, and buys the monster parts from the witches store).

The Ace Attorney games aren't horror, but they're fun if you like goofy humor and require zero coordination to play.
If she likes those, Dagan Ronpa is basically horror themed Ace Attorney, but isn't currently available on Switch AFAIK.

She played Ace Attorney back on the DS but got frustrated by how once or twice a case, it would be really unclear which piece of evidence exposes the contradiction in a given testimony (they improved this significantly in the 3DS titles, but neither is on Switch yet, to my knowledge). And while she loved the anime adaptation of Dingo Rhombus, I don't know how much she'd care for the little minigames that take place during the trials. Graveyard Keeper is something to consider, though.

Oh, and since Stories Untold was on sale today I just grabbed it for a fiver for her and she tried it briefly. She digs the aesthetic but said she's gonna have to try it in handheld mode, because the text is too small to read easily on her TV (this is a problem I've seen with PC ports, I have to lean way the hell in to read most of the text in XCOM 2 if I'm playing it docked).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Graveyard Keeper is a very slow and boring game that drags on terribly and often isn't remotely fun to play, so I would think twice before getting that one.

Sadly, I can't really give a lot of good recommendations myself if she is unwilling to use a PC to play anymore, since that's where pretty much everything I care about myself tends to live. I would give recommendations like playing Crimson Butterfly through an emulator (which is a relatively slow-paced but atmospheric ghost-hunting game) and could help with the setup for it, but that would require being willing to use something that can run the emulator.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah seconding that Graveyard Keeper just isn't very good. It's a half-baked game with a lot of ideas that sound good but aren't implemented well at all. For example, there's farming in the game. Almost everything you can actually farm is pointless, because all they do is give you energy which doesn't matter because there isn't a calendar in the game beyond the days of the week, so it doesn't matter how long you take to do things.

The titular graveyard keeping involves burying bodies of various qualities to get your graveyard rating up. No purpose, except to advance plot. You get burial certificates that you're supposed to sell everytime you bury a body, but their value never changes and they swiftly become obsolete.

There's a torture room you furnish with spooky poo poo like skulls. Absolutely no purpose except for plot.

The dungeon in the game? Terrible, boring combat - you can return to any floor you've cleared, but there's no reason to, since enemies don't respawn. Once you've reached the bottom floor (there are only 15), the dungeon is finished and any equipment you have or have yet you get is now completely useless, including health or defense potions or whatever.

The most interesting thing about the game is the setting, this strange Town you live in and a City you can never visit, but it's never really explored except for a little bit of history in the DLC.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 2, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

al-azad posted:

John Wolfe is hosting a hq_residential_house horror jam and I totally plan on making something. Although I’m torn between doing something *ironic* or putting actual effort into it.

Reduce the house asset in size and have the house itself chase the player through other stock asset locations

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

John Wolfe is hosting a hq_residential_house horror jam and I totally plan on making something. Although I’m torn between doing something *ironic* or putting actual effort into it.

Cut out a few rooms and stitch them together to make Unity PT

Or since you can change the color of the house you could make a labyrinth with a monster in it that requires you to use the color changes to navigate it

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 2, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

The player is a burglar expecting a boilerplate Home Alone-type situation, but the child does not seem to respect the fundamental laws of reality

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's practically the premise of House on the Hill right there.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You still need to steal everything that isn't nailed down for the good ending

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And you have to turn on all the water faucets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bogart posted:

And you have to turn on all the water faucets.

It would be hilarious to make a horror game out of minor annoyances. Leave the taps running at like 10% flow. Turn all the lights on in the middle of the day. Chairs pulled back from the table. TV slightly out of focus. The materials to make coffee being split between several different cabinets. The horror of being at a casual acquaintance's house and not being able to call them out on mildly irritating but easily fixable things.

VVVV "Great, every door and drawer is pulled out, I have a massive electricity bill from all these lights, AND someone stole my stereo"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 3, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That is every adventure game that allows you to interact with the world. The parents in Gone Home return with a $1,000 electricity bill.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7MeKmrBRY

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm thinking the quality of that first hauntedps1 demo disk was kind of a fluke.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/redcandlegames/status/1335168034428817409?s=21

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh cool after the whole 'thing' with them I assumed they'd been disappeared...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh cool after the whole 'thing' with them I assumed they'd been disappeared...

By...the government of Taiwan?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:psyduck:

That owns but like... how do you go from making a small indie game that was available for a short time to getting a Netflix series? I guess someone at Netflix just wants to piss China off?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

sigher posted:

That owns but like... how do you go from making a small indie game that was available for a short time to getting a Netflix series? I guess someone at Netflix just wants to piss China off?

It is being made in association with a Taiwanese tv station so maybe it had a bigger influence in Taiwan, which would not be surprising.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Detention is still available, it was Devotion that got delisted and their mainland publishing partner disappeared as a corporate entity.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sigher posted:

Detention also got itself a fairly critically favorable movie last year

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Detention also got itself a fairly critically favorable movie last year

Is it just Americans that suck at video game movies?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CommunityEdition posted:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

he beat up lowtax and used a nightwish song on a soundtrack, so Uwe gets a pass

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Weirdly I just played Stories Untold yesterday after buying it in a sale ages ago and forgetting about it. It is definitely not demanding with reaction time but there are some things where you're zooming in and trying to read muddy looking text. It is also a really good time!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CommunityEdition posted:

Japan has put out a large amount of lovely video game adaptations too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

When you’re playing with millions of studio dollars you usually get safe crap but Detention was probably filmed on the budget of like a single episode of a Netflix original show.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Japan has put out a large amount of lovely video game adaptations too.

And Stage Plays. Most of either never leave Japan, tho.

Sonic was really fun tho

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

And Stage Plays. Most of either never leave Japan, tho.

Sonic was really fun tho

There's like six entirely canon resident evil stage plays and it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I could use a recommendation, because my searching skills have largely failed me. My mother is... picky, when it comes to video games, but she likes horror and horror games (when I was a teenager, we played Eternal Darkness together and it's still pretty much her favorite video game ever). However, she's also been through rheumatoid arthritis and is in her fifties, and is not entirely well-versed in standard game controls, so she can't really play anything that requires any sort of reaction time. She also gets anxiety sometimes (she stopped playing Pikmin 3 Deluxe because she was too anxious about her Pikmin dying, which is pretty relatable actually). So, to help expand her library (she literally only plays Animal Crossing and Wario's Woods at this point), I'm looking for a game that is the following:

-Horror-related (best if it's psychological horror or generally works more on creeping dread than on gore/monsters/jumpscares because she doesn't like those, though she enjoys The Walking Dead enough that zombies should be fine)
-On the Switch (she's been working from home all year and basically can't stand to use her laptop after quittin' time these days)
-Allows the player to proceed at their own pace and doesn't demand quick reflexes or reaction times.
-Isn't too complicated (I've seen her grumble at Animal Crossing for having too many buttons for things)
-Lasts more than like an hour (I may enjoy a little Alpha Beta Gamer now and then, but I want to get my mother something that'll last a bit longer than most of those titles)

Has she played Goetia? It’s a horror themed point and click horror game on the Switch. No jump scares, lots of mood and story. Puzzles can be tricky.