Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

drat, I only get 100k for 14 coffees out to a 40ly station... Which took 9 jumps in my 14ly hauler cause of star layouts. I need a bigger ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Before you even start talking about risk-reward you ought to first make sure that the rewards themselves are balanced among activities.

The choices being presented here are:

a) do I go solo, and get the full reward for p much zero risk if I tag along with cops?
b) do I wing it up with 3 others, have a ton of fun, get the full reward at 1/4 the zero risk?
c) do I multicrew with 2 others, have a ton of fun but an insultingly low reward and zero risk?

wow i wonder why the gently caress people are calling :frontear: out

E: the choice between fun or progress is painfully stupid and you're stupid if you defend it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Then pay the price and stop whining.

All praise the brown sea.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At this point I'm not sure anymore who of you has brown sea-levels of brain damage or is just trolling :ohdear:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Chrysophylax posted:

Before you even start talking about risk-reward you ought to first make sure that the rewards themselves are balanced among activities.
The thing about crewmembers taking on zero risk is horseshit anyway because the obvious solution to that is to deduct the cost of any rebuys the helmsman incurs from the crew's pay before the session ends. That way risk would be shared just as much as rewards and you wouldn't be able to grief newbies by inviting them aboard and immediately diving your a-rated cutter into a black hole.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Morter posted:

I guess you're used to 'not being listened to', but putting Bad Design Choices to the forefront of people's attention helps in getting them fixed. You know, like good developers are supposed to do.

Or else, if you let lovely things continue and have people accept and get used to them, you get idiotic things like people saying "But people with lower ranks getting less money makes SENSE! :derp:"

Meanwhile, in the actual flipping game:

v:v:v

Having fixed size bulk deliveries seems like pretty lovely concept in general. It would be a lot better to have them as ongoing contracts with a per-cargo payout, and a Fill Cargo Hold button that you can use as many times you like while the mission is active. Just keep the small couriering missions as one-offs either with fixed cargo or allowing you to fill the cargo hold once.

e: Also, maybe have courier missions with strict time limits and interceptions, so you actually get use of a purpose built fast ship.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Rectus posted:

Having fixed size bulk deliveries seems like pretty lovely concept in general. It would be a lot better to have them as ongoing contracts with a per-cargo payout, and a Fill Cargo Hold button that you can use as many times you like while the mission is active. Just keep the small couriering missions as one-offs either with fixed cargo or allowing you to fill the cargo hold once.

e: Also, maybe have courier missions with strict time limits and interceptions, so you actually get use of a purpose built fast ship.

Just read an excellent take on this that FDev will probably never see:

quote:

Building on your idea, what if a trading missions had a LARGE amount of inventory, lets say 15000t, and you get paid x credits per t. Once the inventory has been depleted the mission is no longer available and eventually another will pop up. The availability of trade missions and their inventories would be determined by system state and activity.
For massacre missions each warring factions has ONE mission in the system with a kill count objective. Which ever mission is completed first determines the outcome of the war and you can sign up for as many kills as you want (with an upper limit if needed).
This doesn't just fix board flipping either, it makes the missions feel more natural. The trade missions will generate a natural trade hubs that players will flock to and pirates will follow. And instead of getting 3x rewards for killing the same bogie you'll actually earn your war bonds properly and it won't feel so cheesy to play the game the way I prefer to play it: space merc.

The best part is that a system like this naturally facilitates cooperative mission work.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Wouldn't that be something.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Morter posted:

I guess you're used to 'not being listened to', but putting Bad Design Choices to the forefront of people's attention helps in getting them fixed. You know, like good developers are supposed to do.

Or else, if you let lovely things continue and have people accept and get used to them, you get idiotic things like people saying "But people with lower ranks getting less money makes SENSE! :derp:"

Meanwhile, in the actual flipping game:

v:v:v

What is it with you guys constantly whining when access to zero-effort money is removed? Why not ask for a button that adds a billion credits every time you hit it?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Mu77ley posted:

What is it with you guys constantly whining when access to zero-effort money is removed? Why not ask for a button that adds a billion credits every time you hit it?

can I haz billion spacebuxx pls?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

Then pay the price and stop whining.

lol trust me friendo, you don't have to reflexively defend bad design decisions 😂

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

DancingShade posted:

All hail the poo poo-poster.

Let me guess, you're one of those guys who uses the console in Skyrim to give yourself billions of gold, and the proceeds to moan about how the game is too easy and the loot in dungeons is not interesting.

Fundamentally "progress" in Elite is monetary based. By trivialising the acquisition of money early on in the game, it effectively removes lower tier content from the game.

Of course, the spergs hate having to earn their way to higher-end equipment, and instead will use any exploit available to actually avoid playing the game.

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 30, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

Let me guess, you're one of those guys who uses the console in Skyrim to give yourself billions of gold, and the proceeds to moan about how the game is too easy and the loot in dungeons is not interesting.

Fundamentally "progress" in Elite is monetary based. By trivialising the acquisition of money early on in the game, it effectively removes lower tier content from the game.

Off course, the spergs hate having to earn their way to higher-end equipment, and instead will use any exploit available to actually avoid playing the game.

orcane posted:

At this point I'm not sure anymore who of you has brown sea-levels of brain damage or is just trolling :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Balancing by money works out so well in mmos, just look at eve-o

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Of course, the spergs hate having to earn their way to higher-end equipment, and instead will use any exploit available to actually avoid playing the game.

Nice meltdown.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

What's the deal with economics and sports jackets? In a free market why do companies pay people different amounts for different tasks? What sport is it? :downs:

edit:

Mu77ley posted:

:):hf::)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 30, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Drake_263 posted:

There was that one point (I want to say something like.. 1.4, when the Vulture was new?) where you could wedge your ship against a friendly capital ship in a combat zone, set your turrets to fire-at-will, and go AFK while the capship killed everything that you aggroed. That one got patched out pretty fast.

Yup, that was when capital ships just counted as allied NPCs in combat zones. They "fixed" it by forcing players to get the last hit or be paid absolutely gently caress all, instantly transforming the combat zones with the cool looking capital ships from "I can be fighting near a cool looking capital ship and get paid!" to "ignore all zones that have capital ships, 100% of the time". All the time they spent implementing the capital ships (that look really awesome) instantly in the trash, because now being where they are is actively bad for players.

The best part is the payouts weren't even good compared to all the exploits that came later. You were making money slower than RESing but you got to use turrets and have a new combat experience while still making money, obvioulsy a horrible thing that needed to be patched.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DatonKallandor posted:

Yup, that was when capital ships just counted as allied NPCs in combat zones. They "fixed" it by forcing players to get the last hit or be paid absolutely gently caress all, instantly transforming the combat zones with the cool looking capital ships from "I can be fighting near a cool looking capital ship and get paid!" to "ignore all zones that have capital ships, 100% of the time". All the time they spent implementing the capital ships (that look really awesome) instantly in the trash, because now being where they are is actively bad for players.

The best part is the payouts weren't even good compared to all the exploits that came later. You were making money slower than RESing but you got to use turrets and have a new combat experience while still making money, obvioulsy a horrible thing that needed to be patched.

So what you're saying is that it was a free-money exploit, and that you're mad because they patched it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

So what you're saying is that it was a free-money exploit, and that you're mad because they patched it

:nallears:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Guys why are you feeding the troll

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chrysophylax posted:

Guys why are you feeding the troll

It's not a troll when it's 100% unironic serious. The brown sea is in this thread :v:

"Oh I was trolling lol" is basically the fumbled hand pass of forum saves.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DancingShade posted:

It's not a troll when it's 100% unironic serious. The brown sea is in this thread :v:

Dude literally just got mad because Frontier removed his ability to go take a poo poo while his bank account filled up on its own. The Brown Sea and the Goon Sea are just two oceans on opposite coasts of the continent called Sanity.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 30, 2017

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
No I refuse to believe we have unironic forumdads here

Trustworthy posted:

Dude literally just got made because Frontier removed his ability to go take a poo poo while his bank account filled up on its own. The Brown Sea and the Goon Sea are just two oceans on opposite coasts of the continent called Sanity.

You gave yourself away with that edit, dial it back a bit

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 30, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

No I refuse to believe we have unironic forumdads here

You gave yourself away with that edit, dial it back a bit

I miss your quote posts. On the other hand, it's way more interesting to assume some of the us are unironic forumdads.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

orcane posted:

I miss your quote posts. On the other hand, it's way more interesting to assume some of the us are unironic forumdads.

Truth be told it just became depressing so I kinda dialed back the brown sea. I am only up to speed with this bullshit because I earnestly tried to give feedback about the beta and the turboautism came in like a freight train.

E: A goon put it best: nuking the city to destroy some drug dens. It describes all the stupid nerfs :frontear: puts in place

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can understand that, I did some unattributed quotes of Star Shitizens in the past and it quickly became scary so I stopped :v:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Ugghhhhh. gently caress this game. Every time it looks like they have fixed something or added something fun, they neuter it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

CountingWizard posted:

Ugghhhhh. gently caress this game. Every time it looks like they have fixed something or added something fun, they neuter it.

It's still a fun feature, regardless of pay. But yeah Frontier has a long tradition now of making the weirdest decisions possible. Sometimes it works out- like getting Oculus support in one weekend because someone posted a suggestion thread on the main forum. Now it's the premier VR game in existence. It doesn't always work out though- sometimes Braben can't get an idea of of his head and a feature video for a major update is him talking about various skimmers for 30 minutes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

It's still a fun feature, regardless of pay. But yeah Frontier has a long tradition now of making the weirdest decisions possible. Sometimes it works out- like getting Oculus support in one weekend because someone posted a suggestion thread on the main forum. Now it's the premier VR game in existence. It doesn't always work out though- sometimes Braben can't get an idea of of his head and a feature video for a major update is him talking about various skimmers for 30 minutes.

Again, this: it doesn't remove the fun. Everyone is frustrated because multicrew is now another addition to a long list of activities that only really open up and become fun when you are so rich that you don't care about spacemoney...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mu77ley posted:

Grind isn't content. Time sinks are not progression. This is not Skyrim. In Elite, there are no rich side quests and micro-adventures that you enjoy before getting into a midrange ship. There is only sunk time.

Unlike you, I'm not going to make a lovely post full of sweeping assumptions about your character to try and explain the fact that you are stubbornly clinging to this false equivalency (and doing it with a gloriously Dunning-Kruger level of conviction). But if I were to do that, I would probably point out that most people who insist that time sunk = skill and grind = content are sad motherfuckers with nothing else to do with their time and want its waste validated. :allears:

P.S. Your posts have been unilaterally poo poo, please stop trying to call out people who have been playing since launch and have a justified history of frustration with these development choices.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

P.S. Your posts have been unilaterally poo poo, please stop trying to call out people who have been playing since launch and have a justified history of frustration with these development choices.

Pot. meet kettle.

Also, if you're going to use a ridiculous "I've been playing longer than you" argument like a typical 12 year old, I've been playing single Alpha 1. So by your rules that should mean my opinion has more weight than yours. Also, my dad is bigger than your dad!

In conclusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 30, 2017

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Again, this: it doesn't remove the fun. Everyone is frustrated because multicrew is now another addition to a long list of activities that only really open up and become fun when you are so rich that you don't care about spacemoney...

Question: What effect does killing ships have other than earning money or cargo? Last I heard faction stuff was still gimped and broken; with player actions not providing any sort of measurable effect unless performed enmasse.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I had fun the first ~30 hours playing around in my sidewinder and eagle doing data missions and loving around in RESes. I saved up a few million to afford a Keelback with a jump range that could get me to Quince, and grinded around 50 million to outfit the KB like I wanted and also buy a Vulture and kit it out.

I can recommend my experience of the game to any newbies, just enough playtime to get familiar with the game and then an easy enough exploit to actually play however you want to play. And I mean yeah you could grind up to a billion credits, but that's boring and I don't need a bigship yet anyways

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mu77ley posted:

Pot. meet kettle.

Also, if you're going to use a ridiculous "I've been playing longer than you" argument like a typical 12 year old, I've been playing single Alpha 1. So by your rules that should mean my opinion has more weight than yours. Also, my dad is bigger than your dad!

In conclusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

wow you are a spectacularly bad poster

Look out knifegrab someone's coming for your crown!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

wow you are a spectacularly bad poster

Look out knifegrab someone's coming for your crown!

:ironicat:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The early game experience is great, but the great parts have nothing to do with progression. Literally every magic learning moment that I can remember from my early game (getting my first cockpit shot out, running out of fuel, learning to fight, trying to fight a player pirate and learning what railguns are) would have been every bit as magical in an Asp as they were in my Viper. THAT is the content in Elite, and it has abso-loving-lutely nothing to do with what ship you're sitting in, or how many spacebucks you have.

Afaik every person criticizing this decision has more credits than god at this point, I don't think it's reasonable to claim they're entitled babies just thinking about themselves. This is genuinely about the new player experience, Fdev's weird track record of loving it immediately after fixing it, and the forum dads' weird insistence that it has to stay in its current state just because a bunch of broken goons and brown sea posters managed to find enjoyment in it anyway

Edit: why do we call them forum dads? This feels unfair to dads everywhere.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Edit: why do we call them forum dads? This feels unfair to dads everywhere.

Because when you try and say something is dumb and broken they pretend to be your dad and give you a lecture on how it builds character or some poo poo.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Afaik every person criticizing this decision has more credits than god at this point, I don't think it's reasonable to claim they're entitled babies just thinking about themselves.

Case in point, I have no use for the money myself. What I care about is multicrew being worthwhile so my friends actually want to play the game at all. Friends who are not hopeless space spergs like me who will continually put up with this bullshit because "spaceships :neckbeard:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Trustworthy posted:

What's the deal with economics and sports jackets? In a free market why do companies pay people different amounts for different tasks? What sport is it? :downs:

Are you implying there's an economy in this game.

Oh, and did you forget that the pictures have to do with rank?

• Locked thread