Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

The ones that are actually good are not a big discount from Z590 boards, just because the VRMs needed to run those CPUs are so expensive.

It's still easily a $50 difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh going forward the recommendation for Intel boards probably will/should be the lower end chipsets now that memory oc is unlocked on them.

There's no overclock headroom in basically any CPU anymore, the boost algorithms have gotten real good. Even a super overbuilt vrm is kinda silly - I think the 12900k at 150w is like 97% of the performance at 240w. Just cap the power at something not stupid and save the $50.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s not too meaningful of a distinction in most cases but the x570 has pcie4 to the chipset instead of pcie3. That means the chipset can provide pcie4 to a chipset m2 but also to other pcie slots.

Honestly you could probably say “any” cases because it probably doesn’t even matter for Bitcoin mining but it’s there. Maybe if you want to use one of those multiple nvme pcie cards?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s not too meaningful of a distinction in most cases but the x570 has pcie4 to the chipset instead of pcie3. That means the chipset can provide pcie4 to a chipset m2 but also to other pcie slots.

Does that mean anything besides being limited to one gen 4 NVMe drive (if you have a rocket lake) on a B560?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Back in June 2020, there was a whole Thing about how certain motherboard manufacturers might have been misrepresenting their power measurements to Zen CPUs in order to try and push the boost algorithm even further than what AMD's spec might otherwise let it, and it was enough of a thing that Anandtech had to come out with an article addressing this just to say that, no, folks, that's not going to kill your CPU, and it's not going to cause "electromigration", or the tendency for silicon to "degrade" over time as you feed it excessive voltage (i.e. for however much voltage you need to maintain a particular stable overclock, that you'll need more voltage after years of keeping such settings)

This came up again with the release of Zen 3, and combined with internet arguments over "how much voltage is too much?", youtuber der8auer did a rough experiment of taking three Zen 3 CPUs and put them under a 24/7 stress test for 4000+ hours (about five-and-a-half months), which is the equivalent of maybe 3 to 4 years of actual/practical use, with a user putting the CPU under a heavy load for 3-4 hours per day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAww0c2m-ks

The basic set-up is that all of the CPUs (two 5600X's, and one 5800X) were set to a flat 4.50 GHz with a voltage of 1.45v, which was well in excess of what would have been necessary to maintain that stable clock speed setting.

der8auer then also took note of what kind of minimum voltage was necessary to run an clock of 4.70 GHz. This turned out to be 1.23v for one, and 1.26v for the two others.

The idea was that if electromigration is a thing, then you might expect that after all these hours of being run under a full load and with excess voltage, that the clock:voltage ratio would no longer hold, and you need more than 1.23/1.26v to hold 4.70 GHz.

None of the parts died. Not just the CPUs, but the PSUs, the CPU air coolers, and the motherboards all survived

The 5800X managed to complete three runs of Cinebench at the original 4.70 GHz clock speed with the 1.26v setting.

The first 5600X would complete two runs, then crash on the third.
der8auer needed to increase the voltage from 1.262 to 1.268, but CB would crash on the third run again.
With another change to 1.275v, the CPU would complete all three runs

The second 5600X needed to be increased from its original 1.23v setting, to 1.28v, to be stable enough to complete all three CB runs

This does suggest that electromigration is possible, but with some fairly big caveats:

* presumably this wouldn't be an issue at all if you just left the CPUs completely at stock

* even if you were manually overclocking, the test parameters were such that the CPUs were deliberately being fed voltage that was well in excess of what was necessary, either to simulate an overclocker that's brute-forcing the voltages, or even a boost algorithm that's far too aggressive. Most people still might not run into such a scenario

* the test parameters were also assuming an amount of load on the CPUs that you'd really only hit after half-a-decade, if that, at which point the CPU would be well out of warranty, and possibly quite long in the tooth in terms of the upgrade cycle.

* while I'm sure some of us are still rocking an i5-2500K after all these years, or even a Core2Quad, the electromigration still didn't kill the chip. You just have to give it a little more juice, and if you were ever already running the CPU on the ragged edge of your cooling solution such that more voltage isn't an option anymore, then you can still back off the OC a little to keep going

* and the 5800X still didn't show signs of electromigration anyway

I wouldn't draw any hard conclusions from this per se, but I thought the discussion and results was interesting

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure there were people ITT spouting nonsense about how Ryzen CPUs are dying and boards are frying RAM, etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

a b550 is a very cost effective way to get a decently performing modern motherboard. it also uses passively cooled VRMs instead of the typical actively cooled x570s which is really only mandatory for beefier chips and overclocks and comes with some drawbacks. a 5600x does not require much, iirc it's a 65w tdp.

you'd go x570 if you wanted more cores or overclocking headroom or needed a bunch of m.2 slots or whatever. no idea on intel, maybe something to do with how they rotate the socket so often

You also go X570 if you want more than like 4 usb ports in the back

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah B550 is great and all but please remember when Ryzen 3000 series launched it. did. not. exist.

Not all of us going into those CPUs had the luxury of waiting on AMD for like a whole year either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure there were people ITT spouting nonsense about how Ryzen CPUs are dying and boards are frying RAM, etc.

i think that was about memory controllers if you use the XMP settings

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Truga posted:

Yeah, I don't remember any widespread CPU death or DIMMs being murdered.

I do remember (and experienced) 1000 and 2000 series Ryzens becoming less stable over time when XMP was enabled. For me it was something that started happening after around a year of 24/7 computing, and the fix was just to turn XMP off, while leaving the RAM speed at its rated value (or in some instances, dropping it a bit until stability was found).

Dunno about 3000 or later, because I quit enabling XMP.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

First gen Ryzen had a not-great memory controller, so you'd have to juice the voltage quite a bit to get decent memory speeds and that probably contributed to the premature aging and instability over time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SamDabbers posted:

First gen Ryzen had a not-great memory controller, so you'd have to juice the voltage quite a bit to get decent memory speeds and that probably contributed to the premature aging and instability over time.

In particular a last-resort thing for getting stable memory OCs with Ryzen 1 & 2 was to boost voltage to the SOC. Not a ton, but the SOC seemed to have less headroom. And it's also constant voltage. There were absolutely some internet stories of people ruining their Ryzens by thinking the SOC could take the same +.2v that the main CPU could.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The goddamn chipset fan on my x570 gigabyte elite is wearing down, loud noises all around. I can't believe such a tiny thing is the problem. What do?

My thinking is:
update bios so I can control the curve, it may not actually be necessary but it keeps slightly spinning up. @BIOS is the way or do I need a usb pendrive for qflash?

If not fixed lube up the fan. Never done it, but I can find a youtube vid and do it.

Replace the fan? This poo poo looks proprietary, where do I get a replacement? I don't want to gently caress around with jerryrigging a noctua fan.

RMA the mobo? Gonna take weeks if not months probably.

Any ideas? I wanna punch the guy who thought this was good

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

at the time I was telling you all that, my 9900k was dying due to stock settings except XMP. Guess the motherboard went a bit too high on its voltage trying to get its memory qualification

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would definitely try to set a fan curve to see if you can reduce the fan speeds and noise.

Gonna look for those "lol you silly goons why do you even care about X570 chipset fans just lmao" posts we occasionally had, though (sorry, I know that won't help you :v:)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

orcane posted:

I would definitely try to set a fan curve to see if you can reduce the fan speeds and noise.

Gonna look for those "lol you silly goons why do you even care about X570 chipset fans just lmao" posts we occasionally had, though (sorry, I know that won't help you :v:)

Yeah I remember those posts

I'll try the curve but my BIOS is so old I don't think I have that. I'm looking for PCH_FAN from what google tells me, yeah?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like if it was the standard fans I'd be fine with it, or gigabyte could unfuck a little pocket change and install the tiny noctuas, but no it has to be a proprietary fan with noneuclidean geometry. gently caress you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dex_sda posted:

If not fixed lube up the fan. Never done it, but I can find a youtube vid and do it.

This is not a thing that actually works on 99% of PC fans. All types of sleeve / rifle / FDB bearings are sealed -- they have to be to work -- so if you can somehow get lube in that means it will come right back out. The small number that still use ball bearings (not a thing on a tiny chipset fan) may benefit but by the time the fan is making bad noises it's generally too late.

If the bearing is going bad you're kinda hosed, but you should first take the computer out and clean it well. Maaaaybe it's just jammed with dust and gunk.

dex_sda posted:

Replace the fan? This poo poo looks proprietary, where do I get a replacement? I don't want to gently caress around with jerryrigging a noctua fan.

The fan isn't going to be proprietary. It's not standard or common, but they're never 100% proprietary. If you are able to get it out of that heatsink thing and read the model #, you can get a replacement. However that may require buying from ali express and shipping from china. Could take just as long as the RMA.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

This is not a thing that actually works on 99% of PC fans. All types of sleeve / rifle / FDB bearings are sealed -- they have to be to work -- so if you can somehow get lube in that means it will come right back out. The small number that still use ball bearings (not a thing on a tiny chipset fan) may benefit but by the time the fan is making bad noises it's generally too late.

If the bearing is going bad you're kinda hosed, but you should first take the computer out and clean it well. Maaaaybe it's just jammed with dust and gunk.
Already done, my case gets almost no dust anyway. I might isopropyl the blades with qtips or something but I doubt it will help. I think it's the bearing, the noise is significant.

Klyith posted:

The fan isn't going to be proprietary. It's not standard or common, but they're never 100% proprietary. If you are able to get it out of that heatsink thing and read the model #, you can get a replacement. However that may require buying from ali express and shipping from china. Could take just as long as the RMA.

Yeah it sucks. I'll check to see if it's visible maybe.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can absolutely relube cheap sleeve bearings and usually get years more out of them. They also do not need to be sealed to work, and especially not sealed well. Also, LOADS of them are never sealed to begin with. Most bearings in general are not sealed.

Many fan bearings are "sealed" by a sticker, and as long as you take it half off, use something like a toothpick to put a light grease into the little hole while turning and wiggling the fan to help distribute it, it will work fine in most cases. In other cases there is no hole, but if the fan is already hosed, just make a hole and try - it's not like you have anything to lose, and I've had it work.

orcane posted:

Yeah, there was a lot of this and it was embarrassingly stupid. The smaller a fan is, the shittier it is, and no one was going to put a high-end fan to cool a 13w max load.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 20, 2021

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Many fan bearings are "sealed" by a sticker, and as long as you take it half off, use something like a toothpick to put a light grease into the little hole while turning and wiggling the fan to help distribute it, it will work fine in most cases. In other cases there is no hole, but if the fan is already hosed, just make a hole and try - it's not like you have anything to lose, and I've had it work.

Yeah that's what I've seen on the youtubes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
up until the point that they came out with the x570S, my plan was always to wait until the fan starts dying, make an adapter bracket for a 40mm Noctua, snip the connector and splice if necessary.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can you just unplug the silly little fan?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CoolCab posted:

This imo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unplug the fan, check the chipset temp with something like HWinfo64 and if it doesn't go over like 90C and the system is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
I'm so happy I got a X470 with my 3900X.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i might if i can find the connector, it must be hidden by the gfx card lol. either that or it's hidden inside the goddamn sick 1337 gamer cover on the lovely rear end fan in which case full rip

i'll try doing it tomorrow

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I cleaned it up some extra and I noticed it gets better with each hot -> cold cycle so I restarted it a bunch of times and I think it loosened up whatever lube is inside cos it went quieter again. I'll open up the sticker, clean out the gunk and lube it up the next time this happens which will probably be soon. Thanks for the suggestions, gently caress the engineer who decided this

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ah yes it's the engineers fault again that AMD rushed pcie 4.0 to the consumer market, on a crappy old GloFo node chipset and firmware nowhere near ready even for dev boards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

your first mistake was buying gigabyte

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ijyt posted:

it really was man, although at the same time two of my close 'into building pcs' friends who made a ryzen platform got different stuff and one took 10 months to have a working PC with no issues because all the x570 mobos from other manufacturers kept loving up, and the other had the fan start loving up sooner. it was not ready for release

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 21, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

5800X down to $340 on Amazon.

5900X $490.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ijyt posted:

every Brand sucks, and the epic disaster that gigabyte has turned into recently wasn't foreseeable then.

personally if I had a x570 with a mobo fan, I'd have jumped on every bios update to look for new options for the fan control. so if any mistakes were made, that would by my choice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've had zero issues with my asus x570, but i'm on a 3950x and only since spring 2020. dunno if they had more issues with 5000 series or earlier on

it does have a tiny fan on it, but i don't think it ever starts, and also is completely covered by the reference radeon heatsink lmfao

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

i've had zero issues with my asus x570, but i'm on a 3950x and only since spring 2020. dunno if they had more issues with 5000 series or earlier on

it does have a tiny fan on it, but i don't think it ever starts, and also is completely covered by the reference radeon heatsink lmfao

I got my x570 when the 3 series basically dropped, and I hear a lot of issues from those earlier boards

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got a Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro wifi. No issues at all. Love it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Klyith posted:

the epic disaster that gigabyte has turned into recently wasn't foreseeable then.

Eh... we've known Gigabyte had questionable practices ever since they were caught several years ago making motherboard revisions over time where a previously released/advertised model, would see features dropped on the new revisions but weren't indicated as such. They'd also then send these out as RMAs so the people getting warranty replacements were effectively getting inferior boards.

It's why if I were going to buy Gigabyte, it'd only be for an nVidia card since they have to meet nVidia's minimum requirements at least.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd buy select Gigabyte monitors, because most monitor problems are on arrival and as long as you buy from a store with good return policies it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Everything else I'd stay away from. I've seen allegations of them refusing RMAs on GPUs that have clear PCB defects.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I'd buy select Gigabyte monitors, because most monitor problems are on arrival and as long as you buy from a store with good return policies it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Everything else I'd stay away from. I've seen allegations of them refusing RMAs on GPUs that have clear PCB defects.

They deny warranties on GPUs with signs of stress near the PCIe connectors even if the stress has nothing to do with the issue, all while making cards they know will naturally exhibit said stress because GPUs are so loving big these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well I just bought a Z590 from Gigabyte.

Thought it was just exploding PSUs that we had to worry about.