Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is practically lifted from one of the early chapters of Capital in the 21st Century by Picketty, where he discusses that prices were VERY stable during the early Modern period, to the point that when Austen wrote about the relative wealth and income of the gentry in her novels in the 1810s, it would be recognizable and sensible to a reader decades later who would understand the relative economic standings of the characters it references. This fed his main thesis that because growth was pretty "meh" during this period, and inflation was largely unheard of (he explicitly makes the point that you don't talk about dollars or euros or pounds nowadays in fiction because it'll be instantly dated, unless it's an outrageous sum like billions) this concentrated wealth and kept it such because all the avenues of investing money disproportionately went to the wealthy. Balzac's widowed father figure in post-Napoleonic France had bonds earning a healthy, tax-free, inflation-limited income could live an upper middle class lifestyle forever, and he can pass the bonds forward as an inheritance. (BWM was this same figure in Balzac's novel gambled it to attain the 1% lifestyle and hosed it up and dies destitute :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

yes and since his loses came in 2018, and you can't carry them back to 2017, they will mostly expire useless. It is the most spectacular destruction of lives the IRS has ever accomplished.

I wonder if the IRS will let the guy basically call a mulligan and accept an offer in compromise of his current $125k portfolio (or whatever he can cash out of it) and he would "only" be out the $5k in seed money. Assuming he get on this, begs forgiveness, and is a nice humble person.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

kw0134 posted:

This is practically lifted from one of the early chapters of Capital in the 21st Century by Picketty, where he discusses that prices were VERY stable during the early Modern period, to the point that when Austen wrote about the relative wealth and income of the gentry in her novels in the 1810s, it would be recognizable and sensible to a reader decades later who would understand the relative economic standings of the characters it references. This fed his main thesis that because growth was pretty "meh" during this period, and inflation was largely unheard of (he explicitly makes the point that you don't talk about dollars or euros or pounds nowadays in fiction because it'll be instantly dated, unless it's an outrageous sum like billions) this concentrated wealth and kept it such because all the avenues of investing money disproportionately went to the wealthy. Balzac's widowed father figure in post-Napoleonic France had bonds earning a healthy, tax-free, inflation-limited income could live an upper middle class lifestyle forever, and he can pass the bonds forward as an inheritance. (BWM was this same figure in Balzac's novel gambled it to attain the 1% lifestyle and hosed it up and dies destitute :v:)

Yes good spot that is my source

Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn't bartering a factor in that? If something costs 2 chickens in 1200 AD it probably cost 2 chickens in 1300 AD. Productivity gains were not great back then so generations of people would be producing and consuming at approximately the same volume regardless of the year.

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm shitposting at a rate 2008 me could only dream of and that productivity allows me to consume more stretching supply and causing inflation.

Bartering didn't really have anything to do with it after the invention of money but long-term changes in productivity and economic growth are everything. The argument to absurdity is that growth rates simply cannot increase long-term at the rates they have in industrializing economies over the past hundred fifty years and by inference growth rates and productivity will likely slow dramatically in the coming decades in developed economies. As above, you can read, Thomas Piketty's book for a 500-page explication of this idea.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Something Offal posted:

Not sure I understand your question. You can add some options to the base truck, but the way it usually works in the car biz is there are some things you can only get by going up to the next trim level. You can see those in the 'build&price' configurator thing if you're curious.

I mean, the very concept of an F150 is a luxury. If you start from the basic premise that a vehicle exists to get you from point A -> B then you start with, say, a scooter (if we're going motorized) and move up from there. A basic car like a kei or, at least, something like an Up is your starting point. By the time you get up to a basic truck, you've added tons of "bells and whistles" that, although they constitute a base truck, are still huge add-ons compared to an Up or a kei car but serve little to no functional purpose.

The fact that most people take these things and drive them to the grocery store makes those add-ons luxuries, rather than necessities. Even if you use it to haul stuff, do you really need the F150 or could you get by with a kei truck for most people?

So I have no problem with calling an F150 a luxury vehicle, even if it's not optioned up to 68k. The average F150 was about 44k (okay technically f-series but they're mostly F150s, I'm betting), which has got 16k worth luxury options.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
buying a kei truck in america is not as easy as visiting your local ford store tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

buying a kei truck in america is not as easy as visiting your local ford store tho

... basically cuz of lobbyists...

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Buying a mega-yacht is BWM because of poor resale value and low steel content for scrap.

Bloomberg isn't afraid to use the term "dark days in the superyacht world" to describe the impact of the 2008 recession.

Hi, I'm Sam Tucker, head of superyachts.

Wikipedia says Paul Allen's yacht has two submarines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-superyachts/?srnd=premium

Who is expecting their yacht to withstand a bomb blast? How would such a scenario unfurl?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

... basically cuz of lobbyists...

And safety standards. We need more options for people who need to haul stuff, but it needs to comply with modern safety standards.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

TrueChaos posted:

And safety standards. We need more options for people who need to haul stuff, but it needs to comply with modern safety standards.

It has to be able to take a hit from an F150.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On the other hand, if everyone is driving kei cars and kei trucks, safety standards can be lowered, because instead of having five tons of steel barreling at you at 120 km/h, now it's less than one ton at 90, and if you take city speeds as a baseline then most people are going to come away with bruising.

I exaggerate slightly but you get the idea.

e: ^^^^^ dammit Elysium

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hahahahahahahaha

oh god I love when they do this

They never have ANY CLUE and then the CI asks for their stuff and starts threatening them.

God I want to post ominous poo poo about what his options are other than settling for a payment plan. The IRS is the GOOD COP to the CI's tom clancy style motherfuckers who will set upon you like the midnight breeze carrying death through egypt

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 3, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/wesley-snipes-pay-irs-millions-tax-court-rules-1157190

the fight is over, daywalker

the queen of blades has passed judgment

quote:

Wesley Snipes must pay millions to the IRS after failing to convince a tax court that he doesn't have the assets to pay more than six figures. 

After the IRS tried to collect $23.5 million in back taxes, the actor asked for an offer-in-compromise which would let him settle his debt for less than the amount owed and for the notice of federal tax lien that was filed against his home to be withdrawn. He put up just shy of $850,000 in cash as an OIC, but the IRS rejected the offer and sustained its lien. So Snipes filed a petition asking the tax court to overturn the decision.

U.S. Tax Court Judge Kathleen Kerrigan on Thursday upheld the IRS decision finding Snipes failed to provide sufficient proof of his assets and financial condition and the settlement officer didn't abuse her discretion in rejecting his request. 

The lien was placed in August 2013, just a few months after the actor was released from prison following his conviction on related tax crimes. At the time, he owed $23.5 million for the years 2001 through 2006. Snipes then requested an installment agreement or OIC and made his cash payment. A settlement officer looked into his real estate holdings and assets but was unable to determine that he no longer owned certain properties that he claimed to have unloaded. Following the investigation, the officer determined that the reasonable amount that could be collected was about $17.5 million, but Snipes didn't increase his OIC offer. 

During the proceedings that followed, Snipes claimed his financial adviser had taken out loans and disposed of assets without his knowledge and offered up an affidavit from the adviser admitting to misconduct — but he didn't provide documentation showing the diversion of the assets. 

The settlement officer later reduced Snipes' estimated liability to $9.5 million, but Snipes stayed with his original offer. 

"Given the disparity between petitioner’s $842,061 OIC and the settlement officer’s calculation of $9,581,027 as his RCP, as well as petitioner’s inability to credibly document his assets, the settlement officer and her manager had ample justification to reject the offer," writes Kerrigan in the opinion, also noting that Snipes failed to show paying the bill would result in economic hardship. "Accordingly, we conclude that the settlement officer did not abuse her discretion in determining that acceptance of petitioner’s OIC was not in the best interest of the United States."

In plain English, the judge is saying "that $852,061 offer is horseshit. Here are receipts showing we could reasonably collect more than ten times that amount. Please remit payment to the treasury via cashier's check or wire."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 3, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/wesley-snipes-pay-irs-millions-tax-court-rules-1157190

the fight is over, daywalker

the queen of blades has passed judgment

In plain English, the judge is saying "that $852,061 offer is horseshit. Here are receipts showing we could reasonably collect more than ten times that amount. Please remit payment to the treasury via cashier's check or wire."

I cackled at this. Thank you.

Jan 11, 2004
Seems like doing 28 months in prison and paying less than 50 cents on the dollar to the IRS after more than 20 years might actually be GWM

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ford focus transit is the us equivalent of a kei truck. Japan has full sized trucks but it is not normal to use them for commuting like in the us. The kei truck is basically the largest you can go before you are no longer considered a light vehicle. The us also has an unusual situation with foreign made trucks and the chicken tax.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I hate how big American cars have gotten - they've become crossovers, SUV's and trucks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

I hate how big American cars have gotten - they've become crossovers, SUV's and trucks.

Having a bigger truck is how you make America great again. It's more important that contributions to science, technology, peace or improving society.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn't bartering a factor in that? If something costs 2 chickens in 1200 AD it probably cost 2 chickens in 1300 AD. Productivity gains were not great back then so generations of people would be producing and consuming at approximately the same volume regardless of the year.

Fast forward to 2018 and I'm shitposting at a rate 2008 me could only dream of and that productivity allows me to consume more stretching supply and causing inflation.

Historically barter economies are very very rare and typically only arise after the invention and widespread use of money.

Credit systems/tabs were much more common. Scroll over (yeah, sorry for the goofy layout) to the section on The Fabled Land of Barter
https://www.canopycanopycanopy.com/contents/to_have_is_to_owe

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's correct after tribal societies credit was the next step. The idea promoting the difficulty of barter being the reason for money is mythology spread by economics text books.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SiGmA_X posted:

Blame CAFE.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

Historically barter economies are very very rare and typically only arise after the invention and widespread use of money.

Credit systems/tabs were much more common. Scroll over (yeah, sorry for the goofy layout) to the section on The Fabled Land of Barter
https://www.canopycanopycanopy.com/contents/to_have_is_to_owe

Argh. I have to stop reading articles about economics. They cause me to have brain hiccups. You know how sometimes a word starts to look/sound/feel wrong? That happens to me in regards to money whenever I start thinking about microeconomics. I picture myself getting this tiny ration of imaginary value from my employer, then passing smaller portions of that on to other people in exchange for concrete goods and services. I see myself pulling stupid pieces of fabric out of my wallet, and other people being glad to get them from me, and it seem so loving bizarre. I'm imagining that over and over, like I'm trying to force a word to sound right, again.

I get it, but looking at it in detail borks my brain.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just trading pieces of fabric with one another until we die.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

In reference to that link, it's an excerpt from "Debt: The first 5000 years"

So if you want an anthropologists perspective on "bwm" over the millennia, check it out!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Weatherman posted:

On the other hand, if everyone is driving kei cars and kei trucks, safety standards can be lowered, because instead of having five tons of steel barreling at you at 120 km/h, now it's less than one ton at 90, and if you take city speeds as a baseline then most people are going to come away with bruising.

I exaggerate slightly but you get the idea.

e: ^^^^^ dammit Elysium

More than that is that it needs to survive an encounter with a transport. Or a brick wall at 80mph.

Not that a big vehicle is needed, but what is referred to as kei vehicles are not suitable for over here, outside of city use only.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they drive on a highway at 70mph with a strong crosswind.

I’m going to assume, “like rear end”.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast from earlier this week, there was a guy who owed $430k in medical student loans. The problem with that is he isn't a doctor, failed the boards twice and was "let go". So now he is working as a high school biology teacher. Dave was trying to figure out what he could do with the education he already had but to switch to something like a PA or nurse meant going back for more even more school. Dude is screwed.

About 14 minutes into this episode. https://www.daveramsey.com/show/archives/2018-11-01/3?mode=listen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SiGmA_X posted:

The price of gas went down and the entire American zeitgeist collectively decided to spend the extra $50/month they saved on a larger car payment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

tomapot posted:

I was listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast from earlier this week, there was a guy who owed $430k in medical student loans. The problem with that is he isn't a doctor, failed the boards twice and was "let go". So now he is working as a high school biology teacher. Dave was trying to figure out what he could do with the education he already had but to switch to something like a PA or nurse meant going back for more even more school. Dude is screwed.

About 14 minutes into this episode. https://www.daveramsey.com/show/archives/2018-11-01/3?mode=listen

I'm not going to listen to this but public service loan forgiveness might be an escape hatch for this guy.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not going to listen to this but public service loan forgiveness might be an escape hatch for this guy.

This was my thought as well or IBR assuming his private lender allows. But given that the DOE is trying to gently caress everyone on IBR or PSLF, he might actually have a better argument for undue hardship in bankruptcy.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

In reference to that link, it's an excerpt from "Debt: The first 5000 years"

So if you want an anthropologists perspective on "bwm" over the millennia, check it out!

What amuses me about it is that it's more considered and sophisticated than a lot economic thinking.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Have you ever had the pleasure of driving a Smartcar on the highway? Compared to regular sedan-sized cars, they demand way more attention to drive and it's easy more draining. You have to be alert for every asymmetric bump or gust of crosswind trying to push you into the next traffic lane.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mineaiki posted:

Who is expecting their yacht to withstand a bomb blast? How would such a scenario unfurl?

Roughly the equivalent of buying three years of food for a normal person.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

A lot of them simply don't go that fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

A lot of them simply don't go that fast.

Which severely limits their utility in a county of this size connected by an interstate highway system.

I'd totally own one in Singapore. Not so much in the Northeastern US.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/9tuco8/returning_to_school_questions_about_debt/

Oh boy.

quote:

I graduated from law school. Though I did really well at a high ranked school, I just despise (and frankly can't handle) the practice. It's not what I want to do. Given the amount of money in loans law school cost, fiscally it makes sense to just bite down and white knuckle it. Realistically, I'll eat a gun long before the bills are paid off (hah, only real way they'll get "discharged"...pun intended). So I have decided to return to school to focus on something that I actually want to do.

I have never defaulted on my student loans and they are all current.

I have a Stafford Unsubsidized undergraduate loan. Original principal $7,500, currently owe $12,194.76 . Funny story, my dad took this loan out to pay for part of my undergrad without my knowledge (pretty sure he lifted most of it for himself) and hid it from me as long as he could making the bare minimum payment. This is my only undergraduate loan.

$232,669.77 is my complete graduate school debt.
    FFEL Unsubsidized Stafford loan - current balance of $20,330.99 (original amount 12,500)
    Graduate PLUS Loans - current balance of $108,792.41
    In this loan is a direct grad plus - $8,139.70 (original amount 5,000)
    Direct grad plus - $36,747.48 (original amount 24,000)
    Direct grad plus - $31,802.24 (original amount 23,700)
    Direct grad plus - $32,102.98 (original amount 24,600)
    Stafford Loans - current balance of $103,546.37
    in this loan is Direct Subsidized Stafford - current balance 9,534.20 (8500 original amount)
    direct unsubsidized Stafford - current balance of $18,375.81(12,000 original)
    direct unsubsdized Stafford - current balance $29,669.78 (original 20,500)
    direct unsubsidized stafford - current balance $20,178.53 (original $15,651.00)
    direct unsudidized stafford - current balance $25,788.05 (original 20,500)

In 2020, the undergrad school I want to attend will be roughly $15,000 a year to attend for tuition and fees. It will be four years.
I then want to get a master's - Approximately $13,000 per year for 2 years.

What's tastier than a quarter million dollars of debt? More debt!

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Is that dude like 32? Based on law school + the current loan balances it seems likely.

I love the 41 year old fresh grad with 2 undergrad degrees + law degree + master's + 400k in student loans life plan.

"I also tried to book time with several financial aid advisers, who were not at all interested."

LastDeadMouse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 4, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Why even redo undergrad? Probably can go straight into a master's program.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You are missing that if he goes back to undergrad he has to either pay in cash or with private loans which he might not get with that debt load. You cant get government loans when you have an undergrad program completed already.

Why he is going back is likely to get a degree in that study, If he went into medical as an example most of his undergrad law wont apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tomapot posted:

If you graduate medical school and fail the boards, are you still an MD? I work in clinical research monitoring with several foreign MDs/caribbean MD grads who didn’t match. I’m a nurse and after only 3 years experience, I make probably 3x what a HS biology teacher makes, so MDs can still make pretty good money, even if they’re not a practicing physician. There are actually several jobs in clinical research that would kill to have an MD and not pay practicing MD money.