Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lynx Winters posted:

I have never wanted to find out something like "Greg Stolze eats live babies" than I do right now.

I really wish "I have a slightly different take on how 4E was unfairly maligned" and "Arivia defends Pathfinder 2E against all comers" were quarantined in the same way the philosophy thread was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

I'm just now hearing that PF2 is "if there are no rules in the book for how to do a thing, your character cannot do it at all. Cannot even attempt it..." Is that true? That's incredibly ambitious and requires a huge amount of confidence to think that you've managed to cover every single action that a character might reasonably try to do.

No.

NGDBSS posted:

I believe that what Arivia actually meant there was that PF2 wants you to only do what the text says you can in the context of delineated rules structures that the game revolves around, eg combat. So as an example in isolation, the PCs can probably try to dam a river just fine. But if that comes into contact with things like combat or however PF2 does downtime actions (I forget), PF2 wants you to limit its effects to what's already possible under that umbrella.

This would be a fairly accurate way to put it, but I would add to it: while PF 2e isn't interested in specially rewarding you for improvising outside the bounds of the given rules (beyond the obvious stuff like 'do something really appropriate or clever for a circumstance bonus'), the given rules are intended to be broad enough to cover most situations. Knocking down or restraining people are generic skill actions, the exploration rules have very broad options like Avoid Notice to move around sneakily, everything from quicksand to magical time freeze traps uses the same hazard rule structure, etc.

The other part of this design that you can't really see just by looking at the rules text is that the encounters are generally predesigned to have interactive and mechanically statted elements: rather than saying "there's a room with a huge chandelier" (and then the GM has to adjudicate what happens if a PC tries to cut it down), it's "there's a room with a huge chandelier (mechanically statted as a hazard you can set off if damaged)". In the case of cartoon battles on a rolling log, for example, an encounter specifically designed for that would have environmental mechanics already written up for trying to knock an opponent off by running the log in the opposite direction.

Arivia posted:

The game does not let you roll ability checks as a fall back if nothing else applies. Everything is SOMETHING you have proficiency in, or you're not rolling it. (The exception being what's called a flat check, which is literally just rolling a d20 with no modifiers and seeing what comes up - if you want a 50% chance of something, that's written as a DC 10 flat check.)

You seem to have forgotten that untrained skill checks exist, and that the skills are intentionally meant to be broad enough to cover everything that could reasonably happen on an adventure, with untrained Lore as the remaining catch-all for whatever really niche stuff is left.

I think you're conflating lack of ability checks (which is an intentional design decision to make you roll skills or saves for everything instead, so the designers don't need to balance for two different levels of bonuses) with the more concrete presentation of actions (which is explicitly not the same as saying you can't do things that don't have a preexisting action; you just don't get specially rewarded for coming up with stuff not already in the rules).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 26, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Foglet posted:

It's very weird to imply that "the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law" conflict was invented 20 years ago in the RPG community and/or has no meaningful application to this community.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If absolutely nothing else, if the words on the page conflict with the intent of the designers or the ethos of the game, it's a clear sign the book was poorly written. I'm not even talking about silly Murphy's rules or whatever, but literal examples where the game says it wants to do X thing but the rules not only don't support that but push you to do Y contradictory thing. See : basically everything written in the 90's.

That seems like a very valid critique of a game's execution that happens all too frequently, and using RAW as a short-hand for "the literal words in the book" is convenient.

Yes, you're both right. It's absolutely a thing to criticize a game's text and problems with it - but the idea of "RAW" has been restricted beyond that and means specifically treating the text as a holy document. That's my whole criticism, it's an internet shibboleth and not an actual way of engaging with a game that actually adds anything or is helpful to anyone.

Roadie posted:

You seem to have forgotten that untrained skill checks exist, and that the skills are intentionally meant to be broad enough to cover everything that could reasonably happen on an adventure, with untrained Lore as the remaining catch-all for whatever really niche stuff is left.

I think you're conflating lack of ability checks (which is an intentional design decision to make you roll skills or saves for everything instead, so the designers don't need to balance for two different levels of bonuses) with the more concrete presentation of actions (which is explicitly not the same as saying you can't do things that don't have a preexisting action; you just don't get specially rewarded for coming up with stuff not already in the rules).

No, I haven't, but I was unclear - I was referring to skills where you can have proficiencies, but my wording did imply there's no such thing as untrained checks, you're right. Untrained skills are important, it's how that whole system of using skills for everything hangs together. And I agree, Lore is the catch-all for the very last chance rolls if necessary (aka, building a dam). But it's still incredibly prescriptive compared to most other RPGs, and does very much limit you to those pre-existing actions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thetoughestbean posted:

If I take the log rolling feat I am telling my gm that we better be on logs at least half the time
The log driver's waltz pleases girls completely... including the evil empress.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Nessus posted:

The log driver's waltz pleases girls completely... including the evil empress.

I am amazed no one had mentioned that song yet. Where is the dancing bonus in that feat description?

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

Servetus fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 26, 2021

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

NGDBSS posted:

I believe that what Arivia actually meant there was that PF2 wants you to only do what the text says you can in the context of delineated rules structures that the game revolves around, eg combat. So as an example in isolation, the PCs can probably try to dam a river just fine. But if that comes into contact with things like combat or however PF2 does downtime actions (I forget), PF2 wants you to limit its effects to what's already possible under that umbrella.

So if I want to roll a log I'm standing on to make another dude fall off in combat, I need the log rolling feat.

But if I want to do it outside of combat, I don't need the feat? I can just roll Athletics or whatever?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Yes, you're both right. It's absolutely a thing to criticize a game's text and problems with it - but the idea of "RAW" has been restricted beyond that and means specifically treating the text as a holy document. That's my whole criticism, it's an internet shibboleth and not an actual way of engaging with a game that actually adds anything or is helpful to anyone.
I generally see RAW/RAI used for RPGs in "murphys rules" type thought exercises, or for giving context to "how does this work/does this work" questions, or "this game is garbage" situations, or people with problems.

In the first it's usually just good fun to break things in weird ways and taking it too seriously is bad. Yeah you have people rocking up to tables trying to actually play pun pun but that's not a problem with the practice.

In the second it's useful terminology to differentiate between what the game actually says in ambiguous circumstances vs what the original designer probably meant. Even taking into account the "it's all made up just do whatever" factor, when answering a question like that it's helpful to be able to tell someone that something is how it works unless your table decides otherwise vs this is not how it works unless your table decides otherwise. This is vastly the most common use I see of the phrases but I'm assuming this is not what you have an issue with.

The actual phrase "rules as written" only comes up in the third because a lot of bad games (or good games with specific issues) get defended by rule 0/"you can change it yourself"/"just <specific houserule>, as if something being fixable is a magic shield against criticism. And even then it doesn't mean that you cannot or even should not deviate from the game as written, but rather that it being fixable does not obliviate whatever led to it reaching release in a poor RAW or RAI state. There'll also be a big difference between the description of some superficial or limited flaws of an otherwise good game vs a game with fundamental flaws or a critical mass of poor writing/editing/playtesting/just a pile of bad decisions.

The fourth are people who have issues with deviation from the text /in principle/, but they tend to have either specific actual psychological conditions or are hypothetically neurotypical but just kind of weird.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

So if I want to roll a log I'm standing on to make another dude fall off in combat, I need the log rolling feat.

But if I want to do it outside of combat, I don't need the feat? I can just roll Athletics or whatever?
This would be my big question. Having a robust framework for the game such that "I kick gravel at the guy to trip him" can always be easily mapped to a specific in game set of rules, but the log rolling feat replaces those generic rules with a specific set of superior rules, that's absolutely fine (asterisk) and indeed good (asterisk)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I've seen plenty of games that say "if the book doesn't have rules for how your character does a thing, then they can just do it and you don't need to roll."

I'm just now hearing that PF2 is "if there are no rules in the book for how to do a thing, your character cannot do it at all. Cannot even attempt it..." Is that true? That's incredibly ambitious and requires a huge amount of confidence to think that you've managed to cover every single action that a character might reasonably try to do.

Just to throw out an example so I can understand... Are there rules for damming a river? If not, that means the players can't even try to dam a river. Which is weird because a literal rodent can manage it so you'd think it would be something a human could at least try. But maybe they really did think of everything and wrote rules for that sort of thing? How would that work?

The rules in combat are intentionally much more tightly controlled than out of combat. There are subsystems that it uses for longer term activities that shouldn't be handled in a single role. Basically skill challenges from 4E, but we can't call them that, and a little better explained to the GM. If my players wanted to dam a river I'd probably handle it with victory points as they do the various tasks. I will say that it does not handle using out of combat strategies to gain advantages in combat very well, there are no surprise rounds for example. I think you could model the dam thing in particular pretty well as a hazard that pushes/does damage and creates difficult terrain though once they trigger it, unless you just mean dam a river in general as some kind of boon to a local village, but I think if that were a thing the AP I was running would just tell me how it worked.

The specificity of feats in PF2E make more sense to me if you think of it as a product to run Paizo's APs. Since you know almost exactly what challenges the PCs will face, you can push them in a certain direction to take weird seeming feats that will see use in play. Sure, if you look at it from the "I run my own campaign and my players may never fight someone in the middle of rushing water from a broken dam," (a place where that log rolling feat would shine) perspective it seems overly narrow, but I think PF2E isn't great for custom settings and you should just play another system. There're poo poo tons of systems around now, I don't really think that's a problem. I think it will probably grow into a system with a ton of rules to cover various situations that makes people who want a rulebook to cover every situation, and not general rules interpreted by the GM. At that point it'll probably do well with custom settings/off the rails adventures. PF1E is basically that, there's so much poo poo in there you can find a book to cover nearly anything you'd want to do.

I think people are divorcing PF2E too much from the APs that Paizo puts out, they're kind of critical to the product and how Paizo works. I'm pretty sure they make a lot of their money from AP sales, with the rest I guess in setting books to fuel character development in PFS(but again those are challenges that they completely control), so it makes sense to specifically design a system that does well running long term focused adventure where you can, and to some degree are expected to, tailor your character to the adventure, and are often told in advance how to do that by player guides for APs and blog posts about what's coming in PFS etc.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Arivia posted:

Not everyone has had that experience, so please refrain from dismissing and attacking someone who uses it in good faith. Death of the Author has a fraught past too but it's not totally useless and you shouldn't be a dick to someone just for bringing it up.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

RAW is how Clarence Thomas interprets the Constitution, RAI is how Antonin Scalia did. :v:

Differentiating between the plain text of the statute rulebook and the legislature's designer's probable intent is a useful interpretive tool, but I can see how the specific terms "RAW" and "RAI" carry substantial baggage. That says more about the people using them, though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jimbozig posted:

"Making a guy fall down" using physical action sure sounds like combat to me.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Splicer posted:

This would be my big question. Having a robust framework for the game such that "I kick gravel at the guy to trip him" can always be easily mapped to a specific in game set of rules, but the log rolling feat replaces those generic rules with a specific set of superior rules, that's absolutely fine (asterisk) and indeed good (asterisk)

The actual effect of the feat Log Roll is a generic ability to make a (quasi-)trip attempt using Acrobatics instead of the default Athletics under certain conditions.

Which is to say, you can always attempt to knock somebody off a log using Trip or Shove... you're just not getting extra benefits to do so (beyond things like 'the GM gives a circumstance bonus because the log is wobbly') if you haven't invested in related abilities.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 26, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think everyone is still just worn out after PF1's mechanical decadence, including feats to turn hippos or whatever it was.

PF2 is much better, but Paizo just hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt yet. So if you think folks aren't giving it a fair shake, it isn't really a surprise imo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dwarf74 posted:

including feats to turn hippos or whatever it was.

I want you to not be joking so hard right now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I want you to not be joking so hard right now.
I believe that was actually 3.5, and yes there was a feat in Sandstorm that let you turn hippos. It had something to do with Ancient Egypt-themed materials.

Edit: Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Hippos are no joke. Pretty sure they kill more people than crocodiles or lions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

NGDBSS posted:

I believe that was actually 3.5, and yes there was a feat in Sandstorm that let you turn hippos. It had something to do with Ancient Egypt-themed materials.

quote:

If you ever lose favor with Tem-Et-Nu, or change your patron deity to another deity, you lose all benefits of this feat and take damage as if you were bitten by a hippopotamus.
:allears:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
And to qualify for the hippo feat you must defeat a hippo in ritual single combat.

We share a ridiculous hobby designed to allow us to engage our fantasies about stupid poo poo we can't do in real life because lack of opportunity or presence of consequences.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Someone definitely had a giggle when they got that rule printed.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

MollyMetroid posted:

And to qualify for the hippo feat you must defeat a hippo in ritual single combat.

We share a ridiculous hobby designed to allow us to engage our fantasies about stupid poo poo we can't do in real life because lack of opportunity or presence of consequences.

I'm battling a hippo right now if you know what I mean

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whybird posted:

I'm battling a hippo right now if you know what I mean

May I recommend Dulcolax?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Not everyone has had that experience, so please refrain from dismissing and attacking someone who uses it in good faith. Death of the Author has a fraught past too but it's not totally useless and you shouldn't be a dick to someone just for bringing it up.

This is an honest good faith question: what would you like me to do when someone uses it with no critical value outside of just invoking RAW/RAI, like hyphz did? Because his accusation was solely something like “the rules have corner cases in both RAW and RAI” (my paraphrase). There’s no content to that - it’s alleged corner cases on the basis of that invocation, without actual substance or evidence. There’s nothing to actually engage with.

From my perspective the right thing to do is to identify the invocation as not doing anything substantive and dismiss it as an incomplete statement, which I did. What would you have me do instead?

Dismissing a part of hyphz argument is not dismissing him overall, nor is it acting in bad faith or working to undermine the rest of the thread. We’ve had a good discussion about the actual issues, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to dismiss a single contentless unsupported assertion.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 26, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NGDBSS posted:

AH drat, yeah, that was 3.5

PF1e was more like "you get a +1 bonus to this thing that almost never happens, under specific conditions"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arivia posted:

This is an honest good faith question: what would you like me to do when someone uses it with no critical value outside of just invoking RAW/RAI, like hyphz did? Because his accusation was solely something like “the rules have corner cases in both RAW and RAI” (my paraphrase). There’s no content to that - it’s alleged corner cases on the basis of that invocation, without actual substance or evidence. There’s nothing to actually engage with.

From my perspective the right thing to do is to identify the invocation as not doing anything substantive and dismiss it as an incomplete statement, which I did. What would you have me do instead?

Dismissing a part of hyphz argument is not dismissing him overall, nor is it acting in bad faith or working to undermine the rest of the thread. We’ve had a good discussion about the actual issues, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to dismiss a single contentless unsupported assertion.

It sure didn't read as good faith when the whole length you were willing to engage to was:

quote:

RAW/RAI is a terrible nonfunctioning way to look at RPG books, please do better than that.
There's no argument made whatsoever to why it can be dismissed besides "RAW/RAI bad and talking about it bad", coupled with condescension towards someone actively engaging in good faith themselves. "What I'd have you do instead" is at least explain why you don't think it's applicable instead of just putting "argue to my arbitrary standard I won't disclose or I won't engage" out as the whole sentiment. (e: that's been done since then, this is from the perspective of what kicked it all off)
I don't think this is worth getting into any further on anyone's part because it isn't going anywhere constructive but please at least reflect on the statements you make when saying how they look to everyone else. I have no real stake in this and don't especially care what any of y'all do, but until we find out about some actual cannibal author or something else that shifts the news, it's taking over the thread.
Something something, "arguments as written vs arguments as intended", there's something to be made of this but I don't have it

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 26, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Arivia posted:

RAW/RAI is a terrible nonfunctioning way to look at RPG books, please do better than that.
:jerkbag:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

It sure didn't read as good faith when the whole length you were willing to engage to was:

There's no argument made whatsoever to why it can be dismissed besides "RAW/RAI bad and talking about it bad", coupled with condescension towards someone actively engaging in good faith themselves. "What I'd have you do instead" is at least explain why you don't think it's applicable instead of just putting "argue to my arbitrary standard I won't disclose or I won't engage" out as the whole sentiment. (e: that's been done since then, this is from the perspective of what kicked it all off)
I don't think this is worth getting into any further on anyone's part because it isn't going anywhere constructive but please at least reflect on the statements you make when saying how they look to everyone else. I have no real stake in this and don't especially care what any of y'all do, but until we find out about some actual cannibal author or something else that shifts the news, it's taking over the thread.
Something something, "arguments as written vs arguments as intended", there's something to be made of this but I don't have it

But I did engage more than that. I separated the RAW/RAI comment from the rest of hyphz' post and responded to the rest of that post honestly and at length. I'm not responsible for fixing his argument for him, I can't guess at what corner cases he had in mind even if I tried.

RAW/RAI isn't an academic or critical technique. It's not something from ludology, or any of the other studies any of us bring to our RPG criticism here. Why does it need to be treated differently from any other RPG meme, like if someone started yelling about damage on a miss?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

"Rules as Written" is the strict idea that only the exact wording, punctuation, and grammar of the written rulebook's text matter, like it's the Ten Commandments or the US Constitution or some other holy text carved in stone. "Rules as Intended" is adding strictly the developer or designer's interpretation of the "RAW" text to interpreting it.

Neither of these methods match how humans read and write, period. Neither of these allows for any difference in reading between the readers, any other interpretations, or any understanding of the game beyond the most basic level of reading the printed word. (To put it another way, there are literary criticism techniques for solely looking at the text on a page, but they require a lot more rigor, care, and depth of analysis than you get from "RAW.")

They're shibboleths flung around from forums arguments about D&D 3e 20 years ago, and neither of them is actually a productive way to approach reading, understanding, or criticizing RPGs (any of them, whether it's Pathfinder 2e or Lasers and Feelings.)
I'm just scrolling back to this again. You seem to be saying that ambiguity due to language for the rules parts, where multiple people may read one rule and come away with different interpretations of what that means, is a good thing? Not just stuff deliberately left to the reader like "salt to taste" or "the exact structure will depend on your organization's needs", but that a question like "do the basic rules allow me to hit this monster with this spell" should have a subjective answer based on the individual reader's understanding of what "is" is?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's actually not a completely terrible apology, and better than I was expecting.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I had to put my phone down for several minutes laughing at hippo clerics, so that’s a bonus.

But no, no d20 game has ever been “you can’t do anything unless the rules say you can” (or vice versa, “you can do anything that the rules say you can”) because there are elephants in the rules that have gone unaddressed for edition after edition. Third dimensional combat is one; interrupted ambushes are another.

And while Log Roll might not require you to be on a log, it does require a fairly specific situation and, more significantly, for it to actually be a good idea to use a Trip variant instead of just putting the boot in on a flat-footed opponent.

As I’m told Extinction Curse was a kind of weak AP because it’s sold heavily on the circus theme but it doesn’t actually do anything in the bulk of the campaign apart from making it difficult to explain why a bunch of carnies are taking time out to do complex missions.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Trying at least to rerail to the more fun discussion I'm convinced that the problem with XCrawl is not that the setting is bad (which it is) so much as the setting is actually present. My take on it, DDE or Dungeon Delving Entertainment is explicitly a multi-planar corporation run by Valnar McAlve (sometimes pronounced McElf depending on the tone). And part of its gimmick is that (for tax reasons) it takes over an abandoned dungeon in a new country or plane and then goes recruiting for local adventurers to be the dungeon's jobbers, paying them what are at local rates a lot of money - but only at local rates. Part of the point of it is that you can put a new franchise version just about anywhere with only limited need to adapt as long as there's somewhere rich and decadent that could be a central nexus to broadcast to. The default hub is in Sigil of course (where else) but it doesn't matter whether it's a plane away or half a continent away what most PCs meet is either the local branch or the talent scouts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'm just scrolling back to this again. You seem to be saying that ambiguity due to language for the rules parts, where multiple people may read one rule and come away with different interpretations of what that means, is a good thing? Not just stuff deliberately left to the reader like "salt to taste" or "the exact structure will depend on your organization's needs", but that a question like "do the basic rules allow me to hit this monster with this spell" should have a subjective answer based on the individual reader's understanding of what "is" is?

No, it's not a good thing, but it's just part of how humans read and interact with language. There's always an innate subjectivity to reading, comprehending, and responding, it's just how communication as a process works. This is why I don't think RAW is good - because the whole idea of the text of the rules having a singular objective meaning is not how we engage with text at all as people. And we can and should strive to be clear and consistently understood, but the techniques we use to make ourselves consistently understood can't be conveniently siloed into "this text solely as printed here without any external reference at all" (RAW) or "this text solely as printed here with the only external reference being the designer as Word of God" (RAI). We need to consider the reader as a respondent, we need to consider different purposes or audiences in the text (is this for players or GMs), etc. RAW/RAI doesn't do that, so it really just makes things worse.

To put it another way, we want our rules texts to be as objective as possible, but we have to accept that objectivity is never truly possible but something we strive towards instead. RAW/RAI don't help us approach objectivity in productive or helpful ways, but instead lead us down a dead end of an objectivity pretended to by intentionally limiting our approach to the game at the cost of how we actually interact with the game.

Leperflesh may have good insight, as he's applied technical writing skills to RPGs before with a lot of attention (and criticism!) towards creating clarity and technical language in using the written word.

e: get fuckt, luke crane

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Guess who doesn't work at Kickstarter anymore

https://twitter.com/Peter_Smyk/status/1375551643698274306

quote:

Crane characterized his decision to list contributors in reverse alphabetical order, and by first name, as just one of his “missteps and miscalculations.”

“That came off as duplicitous,” Crane said, “for which I apologize.”

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
:toot:

Did he write his resignation in the character of a grouchy wizard? Tell his bosses to begone?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ahaha, get hosed, Crane

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Someone linked the full text of the apology earlier if you're interested in it for completion's sake, but given that the comments section is full of people defending Crane and Koebel's honor, it's probably not worth it.

also: eat poo poo luke crane :toot:

edit: oh I think it was actually linked in the ks thread, but it doesn't super matter

Leraika fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 26, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leraika posted:

Someone linked the full text of the apology earlier if you're interested in it for completion's sake, but given that the comments section is full of people defending Crane and Koebel's honor, it's probably not worth it.

also: eat poo poo luke crane :toot:

The apology is extremely boilerplate softpedal poo poo, absolutely unexpected and nothing at all new. He apologizes for how aspects of his project were "perceived as duplicitous," he apologizes but in a way that's entirely vague about what the "hurt he caused" actually is, of course there's no mention in his apology of trying to smuggle his sex pest friend back into the hobby, failing to notify a bunch of other creators about it, the thing that actually resulted in creators pulling out of the project when they found out, etc.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kai Tave posted:

The apology is extremely boilerplate softpedal poo poo, absolutely unexpected and nothing at all new. He apologizes for how aspects of his project were "perceived as duplicitous," he apologizes but in a way that's entirely vague about what the "hurt he caused" actually is, of course there's no mention in his apology of trying to smuggle his sex pest friend back into the hobby, failing to notify a bunch of other creators about it, the thing that actually resulted in creators pulling out of the project when they found out, etc.

Yep. It's pretty bad!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ahhh, the invisible quotation marks around "mutual decision". His decision is a loving nothingburger but this was an unexpected, though not unwanted, outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought the discussion around the raw/rai thing was interesting, and for the most part uncontentious, although the instigating comment has been read by some - and myself - as unnecessarily antagonistic, probably as an artifact of both a clipped short structure and the phrase "please do better" which may read as more hostile than intended.

Regardless: this is wildly off topic for the industry thread. We previously had a Philosophy of Games thread, which I thought was excellent and just now considered resurrecting for the purposes of shifting this discussion there: however, the first several pages of that thread were dominated by, actually, just piling onto Hyphz a whole bunch, and I would not want anyone coming fresh to that thread and deciding not to bother based on its first few pages.

So, in the interests of being proactive and a :justpost: philosophy, I'm creating a new thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963413

That is the right thread to go talk about RAW vs RAI, whether it's a horseshit way to evaluate games or actually cool and good. I am not intending to shut down discussion, please really do actually continue, if you want, there, thanks!

e. and also eat poo poo, luke crane

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 26, 2021