Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Unfortunately this kind of thing just fucks over the workers and not the directors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

No pressure, Todd. Ignore the giant wicker Master Chief being built out in the parking lot, it's just part of the Shattered Space DLC release party.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1787845956077068715?t=DfKAKom3qnfnHGf7BxFMrg&s=19

Redfall was such a nightmare to develop, and they didn't want to make it in the first place, Arkane Austin was pretty much dead already.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alchenar posted:

I mean, if any studio needs to be picked up and shaken by the ankles it's BGS.

the people who need to be shaken are invariably not the ones affected by these layoffs-- as is patently obvious by the successful game studios being shitcanned because microsoft as a whole didn't get lucky enough at the slot machine last quarter

e: if anything this is just going to make things worse, what's the point in putting effort into poo poo if your reward for making a popular successful game is the exact same as making a lovely panned one?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MH Knights posted:

Redfall was such a nightmare to develop, and they didn't want to make it in the first place, Arkane Austin was pretty much dead already.
I'm actually more surprised that they kept the studio around for another year after that debacle

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm actually more surprised that they kept the studio around for another year after that debacle

I think about the jobs I’ve had and hated in this industry, but god drat I can’t even imagine how awful the folks at Arkane Austin have felt over the last year. They were on a death march working on an abandoned game that no one gave a poo poo about and most didn’t even want to make to begin with, and then their parent company closes the entire studio less than a month before the result of that work was due to release.

That is borderline workplace abuse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chillmatic posted:

I think about the jobs I’ve had and hated in this industry, but god drat I can’t even imagine how awful the folks at Arkane Austin have felt over the last year. They were on a death march working on an abandoned game that no one gave a poo poo about and most didn’t even want to make to begin with, and then their parent company closes the entire studio less than a month before the result of that work was due to release.

In a sane world it would be illegal

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Where they about to release DLC? Does not releasing it maybe give them more tax writeoffs? That's become the favored bugbear of this kind of reporting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chillmatic posted:

I think it was down to what, <100 players at peak on Steam? The only way you're getting through the day is telling yourself you're still earning a paycheck but that's not why anybody gets into that business.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Were they about to release DLC?

Yes they were.

As for why they’d close the studio now vs later, I’m guessing it’s because someone has to be around to support any new content you release, and Microsoft clearly doesn’t want to get pulled into that kind of spiral, so they pulled the plug entirely.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly they were working on an offline mode which, much like Starfield, wouldn't have fixed the core issues but would allow for some possible modding and tweaking.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Actually, have you considered how hard it was on the exec

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would there have been something in place that required them to remain open and have to deliver on some of their post-launch stuff? Treating the newly acquired studios with a gentle touch mightve appeared to be the right thing to do at that time but they should’ve just straight canned that game.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it was down to what, <100 players at peak on Steam? The only way you're getting through the day is telling yourself you're still earning a paycheck but that's not why anybody gets into that business.

I quit my last AAA job a few months ago and I don’t think I’ll ever go back. I’ve been saying for about two years now that the industry is collapsing, and dipshit gamers laugh every time. gently caress me for sharing experiences I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish "the industry collapsing" meant something more reformative than a ton of people getting laid off and corporations switching to a less risky portfolio of exploitative garbage.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wish "the industry collapsing" meant something more reformative than a ton of people getting laid off and corporations switching to a less risky portfolio of exploitative garbage.

That’s exactly how I mean it; it will collapse the way the music industry collapsed.

People will still make games, but the big studio model is going to be every bit as dead as the old record label model is now.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Chillmatic posted:

I quit my last AAA job a few months ago and I don’t think I’ll ever go back. I’ve been saying for about two years now that the industry is collapsing, and dipshit gamers laugh every time. gently caress me for sharing experiences I guess.

I've felt the same way as well, I'm just not sure what form it will take. Some brands seem to be doing well or at least are able to continue iterating on the same formula, while indie gaming might be the strongest it's ever been. It's the AAA-10-years-between-releases franchises that seem to be struggling, and the industry seems to be becoming more risk averse (as mentioned above).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's also the problem of the industry essentially colluding to first do heavy layoffs and then re-hire back the resources they need at less compensation, seniority, and security.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chillmatic posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just the Cycle Of Game Development, I don't know anyone from my old game dev job who still works in the industry aside from "occasional side passion", they all started families and needed better more reliable paychecks

it's like the entire industry is built bespoke to chew up passionate college grads, digest their starry-eyed optimism and spit them back out a decade or two later

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the people who need to be shaken are invariably not the ones affected by these layoffs-- as is patently obvious by the successful game studios being shitcanned because microsoft as a whole didn't get lucky enough at the slot machine last quarter

e: if anything this is just going to make things worse, what's the point in putting effort into poo poo if your reward for making a popular successful game is the exact same as making a lovely panned one?

The article doesn't really go into details but it reads like Microsoft is trying to avoid layoffs and merge the developers into existing studios instead. The might be some employees that decide to walk instead, or overhead becoming redundant like accountants. We don't know.

I am morbidly curious as to what the studios had planned before the closures - did they try to pitch something that their new management disliked? Was this strictly on the basis of operational costs and profits? We'll likely never know.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

moist turtleneck posted:

Actually, have you considered how hard it was on the exec

Ybarra continues to be a total clown. Contributed to XBOX's runner-up status for decades, failed upward at Blizzard (really only because J Allen Brack fell on his sword after the abuse stories broke), mishandled the aftermath internally, probably had an unethical hand in MS's acquisition of Activision Blizzard King (which led to thousands of layoffs)... and now defends his crony who just ejected hundreds more workers into an already-overcrowded job market

Hopefully that was his last job in the industry. Dude torched more than enough lives as is

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Microsoft did it, and people are as strangely anti-Microsoft as they are pro-Sony.

Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug I guess.

It's so weird reading about people being pro-sony. I'm so used to film chat where sony's just known for making absolute the worst decisions
about everything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oops wrong thread :v

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 8, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
SIE still makes their fair share of dumb decisions (see Helldivers this past week) but they have an even bigger gently caress up in MS as their opposition and such a dominating space in the market that it never really comes back to bite them much.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

I mean, if any studio needs to be picked up and shaken by the ankles it's BGS.

Then the TES6 design notes would fall out of Todd's pocket and they'd read: "lol. Lmao even".

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think the lesson we can see across the industry right now is that companies which undergo massive growth by going on unspeakably expensive, utterly reckless intellectual property shopping sprees and buying as many existing development studios to consolidate as possible before the credit card gets flagged is kinda obviously stupid (and feels increasingly stupid than further we get from peak "fire the ten billion dollar money gun at a Garfield romantic comedy Netflix reboot" finance). That critique is a bit more relevant to the Embracer Group, but the fact Bethesda and Microsoft have both done more of these kinda things and done them much longer is really something. Even if Starfield makes a profit, all the development time and cost to produce the finished product must have been so much more costly and resource intensive than an unremarkable studio with adequate leadership making a target mediocre game would have been.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I think the lesson we can see across the industry right now is that companies which undergo massive growth by going on unspeakably expensive, utterly reckless intellectual property shopping sprees and buying as many existing development studios to consolidate as possible before the credit card gets flagged is kinda obviously stupid (and feels increasingly stupid than further we get from peak "fire the ten billion dollar money gun at a Garfield romantic comedy Netflix reboot" finance). That critique is a bit more relevant to the Embracer Group, but the fact Bethesda and Microsoft have both done more of these kinda things and done them much longer is really something. Even if Starfield makes a profit, all the development time and cost to produce the finished product must have been so much more costly and resource intensive than an unremarkable studio with adequate leadership making a target mediocre game would have been.

Yes, but have you considered that investors saw a couple of quarters of insane projections, the stock price got goosed, and those people made a tidy profit when they flipped the stock at or near the peak (ignore the other investors who bought it from them), and that therefore this is good, actually.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
Haven't played the game in a while. is it any good now?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah. Got more maps than it used to though

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It hasn't had any update that gives you anything new to do or would change opinions. The maps and customization are nice qol features but it assumes you already want to be playing the game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I mean I'm sure this post will slip off this page even with this thread's slow posting count, but I'm nearly certain you (and me, and everyone else ever reading this) should just put the game out of your mind until the DLC drops; whether or not it's in a more worthwhile state then remains to be seen, but surely not before.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
These are new decorations? Can they go in your ship?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can they go in your ship?

Can they go in your ship's storage?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

2 or 3? Why would they not know?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DebonaireD posted:

2 or 3? Why would they not know?

listen it takes a lot of layers of approval all the way up to todd to 3d model a box

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

On the first day of Christmas Bethesda gave to me, one new hanging tapestry...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://voca.ro/1eEujw0BJIDF

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 15, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol