Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A stupid question suddenly came to me: Say you throw a football into someone's yard and they refuse to give it back. Do you have a legal right to go in and get it? Is that football still legally yours? I'm sure this is at the center of six billion pages of property rights vs. other kinds of rights laws dating back 1000 years but I can't think of what to google to actually look up the answer.

edit: or maybe a more expensive example is better: a remote controlled airplane. Or even better, a commercially operated drone airplane, which I assume will be zooming around our cities in the near future.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What do radio shows use to connect guests from other cities that sounds better than them calling in? I listen to Science Friday a lot, and notice that if the guest is in their local NPR station rather than talking on the phone, they sound a lot better.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I've never had a cold sore before and I think I have one now. What can I put on it to make it go away? Do I go to the doctor?

I live in Canada, if that changes anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

What do radio shows use to connect guests from other cities that sounds better than them calling in? I listen to Science Friday a lot, and notice that if the guest is in their local NPR station rather than talking on the phone, they sound a lot better.

Higher quality telephone lines. Seriously.

The same kind of higher quality lines also used to be used to distribute TV feeds and radio programming to stations in a network.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

uptown posted:

I've never had a cold sore before and I think I have one now. What can I put on it to make it go away? Do I go to the doctor?

I live in Canada, if that changes anything.

If Abreva is sold in Canada (I would assume it is) then, Abreva. If it isn't, ask your local pharmacist if they sell a topical cream with the active ingredient Docosanol.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
anybody else with a Bank of America online account having trouble with online transfers? My accounts are suddenly not there when I want to make a transfer and the website prompts me to re-add them. Anybody else experience this? What did you do?

edit: well they're there today so nevermind

beeaar fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 3, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Install Gentoo posted:

Higher quality telephone lines. Seriously.

The same kind of higher quality lines also used to be used to distribute TV feeds and radio programming to stations in a network.

Specifically, ISDN. A lot of voice actors use these.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I dislike the jackets on business suits because you can't really raise your arms in them. If you want to change a ceiling bulb you have to take it off. Has anyone come up with a design that allows full arm movement? I imagine bodyguard would find such a design very useful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't know what they're called but you can get jackets with pleated underarms & a double pleat down the back, they give you a lot more flexibility but look strange when the pleats get opened.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Baron Bifford posted:

I dislike the jackets on business suits because you can't really raise your arms in them. If you want to change a ceiling bulb you have to take it off. Has anyone come up with a design that allows full arm movement? I imagine bodyguard would find such a design very useful.

You'll never get full movement due to the way they are constructed but the better they fit (typically altered by a tailor or made bespoke) and the less padding you'll have the larger comfortable range of motion.

But yeah essentially you are simply not supposed to move your arms like that in a suit.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Why do some companies region-block their Youtube videos? I get why Hulu and the like do it, but youtube isn't trying to replicate television like they are.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

In the US, how many families with children don't have any daughters (they have only sons)?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

mlnhd posted:

In the US, how many families with children don't have any daughters (they have only sons)?

It will take you a while to set up the search but the Cenus: American Fact finder will work.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Meat Recital posted:

Why do some companies region-block their Youtube videos? I get why Hulu and the like do it, but youtube isn't trying to replicate television like they are.

Rights basically. Like a company could block music videos in the UK but not the US because it's a separate entity that owns the rights to the song there.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

mlnhd posted:

Also, whatever method you use to track down this info, be aware that you're asking two different questions. The set of families who "don't have any daughters" would also include families with no children.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Baron Bifford posted:

I've heard that bespoke suits fit amazingly and you can move around in them as if you were wearing a casual outfit, but they start in the thousands of dollars and there are only some dozens of bespoke tailors left in the United States.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
The gauge cluster went out on my car a while ago, so I bought a new one on ebay. Now, the odometer shows the mileage of the car it came off of instead of my own. What prevents people from buying new clusters to falsify car mileage?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I have the model of Arino in nsbmd format rip from the NDS game and when I view it in the NSBMD viewer, the crown is tilted to the side of his head when it should be on the top of his head. How do I fix it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NarwhalParty posted:

The gauge cluster went out on my car a while ago, so I bought a new one on ebay. Now, the odometer shows the mileage of the car it came off of instead of my own. What prevents people from buying new clusters to falsify car mileage?

Mileage at the time of sale is often recorded when a car is sold, so if you bought a car with 30,000 miles on it, drove around a lot and then replaced the broken odometer with one that read 8,000 miles people would probably ask about that on the next sale.

Also if someone finds out that you replaced an odometer specifically to have it read out lower (instead of replacing it because it broke and a lower mileage one just happened to be available for replacement) then that's a crime.

Incidentally, did you record the rough amount of miles your old one had and the rough amount the new one had when you got it? You could work off that to get a good estimate of true miles traveled if you need that in the future.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Usually it will get caught on autocheck or Carfax too, if you go to an oil change place or a dealer and they record the service and mileage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NarwhalParty posted:

I think that a lot of newer cars record the mileage in the ECU, as well as the odo and if the two don't match, it throw up an error code on the display.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Is Man and His Symbols something I can/should just pick up and read without any background, given that I'm interested?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Install Gentoo posted:

Also if someone finds out that you replaced an odometer specifically to have it read out lower (instead of replacing it because it broke and a lower mileage one just happened to be available for replacement) then that's a crime.

To be specific about this, so long as you're up-front about what the actual mileage is when you go to sell the car, then no harm no foul. Just put a note about it in the bill of sale, plus (at least in my state) there's a box on the title transfer where you can record the actual vs. displayed mileage. There's no legal trouble unless you conceal its actual mileage.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Were there ever offical lyrics published for the song Meanwhile, Rick James by Cake?

I think they're singing 'meanwhile, Rick James tapes her nude' by there are so many interpretations on lyrics sites.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Meat Recital posted:

I'm interested to know how I can circumvent region-blocks on streaming videos.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Baron Bifford posted:

Pretty much the only way is to use a proxy in the corresponding region. If you want a proxy with enough bandwidth to stream video you will probably have to pay for it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's a good free video editing alternative to Windows Movie maker? Movie Maker is find for editing clips together but for anything more than that it seems it can't or won't do it. Custom transitions, picture in picture stuff. I find it weird that it's hard for me to find a way to easily just have every clip fade in and fade out to and from the other clips, which is weird.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
My sister is living in New Zealand and wants to sell her old iPhone 3GS. She wants to ship it to me in the US and let me try to sell it. Shipping is $50 to $70 so it's really not worth it.

My question is does anyone know of a good place or service to sell an old iPhone through in New Zealand?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TheBoyBlunder posted:

My sister is living in New Zealand and wants to sell her old iPhone 3GS. She wants to ship it to me in the US and let me try to sell it. Shipping is $50 to $70 so it's really not worth it.

My question is does anyone know of a good place or service to sell an old iPhone through in New Zealand?
They have Gumtree in New Zealand, that's where I'd go. It's a lot of countries' equivalent of Craigslist.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Whoa, that shipping price seems way too high. I've shipped things larger and heavier than an iPhone US/AUS and it didn't come close to $50. Is NZ Post really that ridiculously expensive?

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.

Ularg posted:

What's a good free video editing alternative to Windows Movie maker? Movie Maker is find for editing clips together but for anything more than that it seems it can't or won't do it. Custom transitions, picture in picture stuff. I find it weird that it's hard for me to find a way to easily just have every clip fade in and fade out to and from the other clips, which is weird.

Avisynth will drive you insane with its lack of GUI and need to constantly check documentation, but if you can get the hang of it you won't find a better free program. It might be overkill but you'll never want for features.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

http://proxmate.dave.cx/ does a swell job for me on YouTube. It says Hulu is supported but last time I tried it didn't work.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I saw this commercial recently about a new kitchen soap dispenser where you take a paper towel and press on the tops of the dispenser and it pumps out soap directly on the paper towel. It's not a regular soap dispenser - the soap or cleaning liquid comes up from the top. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind. It's this: http://www.windex.com/en-US/Products/Pages/touch-up-cleaner.aspx :)

Hand of the King fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2013

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Hoops posted:

They have Gumtree in New Zealand, that's where I'd go. It's a lot of countries' equivalent of Craigslist.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just didn't want to deal with it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Whoa, that shipping price seems way too high. I've shipped things larger and heavier than an iPhone US/AUS and it didn't come close to $50. Is NZ Post really that ridiculously expensive?

No, apparently it's not. My sister told me it's actually about $15 USD. I'm not sure where I got $50 USD from.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm sort of looking for a webpage that is similar to the scorecenter on the ESPN Windows 8 App

ESPN's own webpage, or any other does not seem to replicate the experience. The reason I'm looking for a webpage is that Windows 8 apps do not update frequently enough and I would like to put scores on my screen while I'm doing something else so I can then look over and see them while doing something else. So a large ticker wouldn't be bad either.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a shag area rug on top of carpet under my fairly hefty dining room table. The rug bunches up right where the table ends. I've tried using some carpet tape but it does nothing. I've put heavy objects on the rug for a period of many days and it looks better, but goes back to bunching up in the same area. If I flip it, it bunches in the same spot. I'm thinking this is due to the weight of the table pushing it down because it starts to bunch up there. I'm about to lose my mind with the rug.

I've been researching rug pads and most seem geared to hardwood. There are a few that say they are for rug to carpet at Homedepot and Lowe's, but for the size of this rug (6.5'x9.5') I'm looking at $50 and I don't even know if it will work. Short of stapling the loving thing into the carpet, any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bovril Delight posted:

I have a shag area rug on top of carpet under my fairly hefty dining room table. The rug bunches up right where the table ends. I've tried using some carpet tape but it does nothing. I've put heavy objects on the rug for a period of many days and it looks better, but goes back to bunching up in the same area. If I flip it, it bunches in the same spot. I'm thinking this is due to the weight of the table pushing it down because it starts to bunch up there. I'm about to lose my mind with the rug.

I've been researching rug pads and most seem geared to hardwood. There are a few that say they are for rug to carpet at Homedepot and Lowe's, but for the size of this rug (6.5'x9.5') I'm looking at $50 and I don't even know if it will work. Short of stapling the loving thing into the carpet, any suggestions or advice would be welcome.
Put something hard between the rug and the carpet under the table. A piece of thin plywood or fiberboard should solve your problem. Assuming the rug is larger than the footprint of the table legs anything under there should be more or less invisible.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I didn't see a good place to ask this in the finance sub-forum so I figured I would try here. When should someone set up an LLC? I work full time and since January I have gotten a few consulting gigs I was not expecting. I imagine a few more will come up as time goes on and am just not sure how, financially, the best way to handle them is.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is almond milk known to cause headaches or stomach aches? I tried some and I now have a mild case of both, which is odd since I can eat normal almonds and feel perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farecoal posted:

Is almond milk known to cause headaches or stomach aches? I tried some and I now have a mild case of both, which is odd since I can eat normal almonds and feel perfectly fine.

Did you leave it open for many hours or days? It can pick up bacteria that way. Other than that, it's likely just coincidental.