Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

:lmao:

edit, literally tears in my eyes.

On a side note, I tried across all the saved characters I have and the new Fallout 4 homemade guns (grenade launchers and saw throwers) don't appear. I saw a lot of interesting large red blocks with white exclamation points in them, though.

Barometer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Starfield finally produced something entertaining lmao

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

:allears:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

lol

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I feel like even though they’re updating the game and pitching missing stuff in it might just make sense to wait until the dlc comes out and see how it plays then.

no.
& if this is what you actually think then I have some poo poo straight from my rear end in a top hat to sell you, just wait for the bidet dlc.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

interesting

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:golfclap:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think its magical this game has less activity than the New Vegas modding thread. Way to put up that L.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I’d love to know how much this game’s performance ultimately directly contributed to the recent closure of the various Bethesda studios.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OTOH, Starfield got me into the Traveler TTRPG which is awesome in all the ways Starfield isn't

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Athletic Footjob posted:

I’d love to know how much this game’s performance ultimately directly contributed to the recent closure of the various Bethesda studios.

Probably a not insignificant amount, but even though it didn't retain players, they sold a whole lot of copies on release

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The issue Bethesda have is not with Starfield per se, it's that this debacle has completely let the air out of the hype for their next game. The narrative is going to be 'Did Bethesda poo poo the bed again?' which will hurt pre-orders, and the critical response will be much less forgiving.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

The issue Bethesda have is not with Starfield per se, it's that this debacle has completely let the air out of the hype for their next game. The narrative is going to be 'Did Bethesda poo poo the bed again?' which will hurt pre-orders, and the critical response will be much less forgiving.

yuuuuup.

Remember, it's never the movie in a franchise that everyone thinks sucked that does badly at the box office. It's the sequel after that.

edit: also it can't be under stated how many "reviewers" are basically putting up what they think is going to be the general consensus rather than an honest review. Starfield was expected to be good so a lot of people rushed to put out day 1 glowing reviews and it wasn't until the following weeks that the really critical ones started coming in, and then once the dam broke it was a flood of beating a dead horse.

Blood is in the water and even the most obsequious toady of a content creator reviewer is going to be willing to take a swipe at Beth's next offering.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 21, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I think its magical this game has less activity than the New Vegas modding thread. Way to put up that L.

I keep an eye on the subreddit just to see if anything is happening with the game and nothing really is. The subreddit has dwindled down to a core of folks making weird-rear end hyper-positive posts about how the game was always perfect, and a whole fuckload of boring photo mode screenshots. Occasionally there's a crumb of news about the creation kit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

and a whole fuckload of boring photo mode screenshots.

Hey, apparently the people who extra photo mode feature add in the patch was for!

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

I keep an eye on the subreddit just to see if anything is happening with the game and nothing really is. The subreddit has dwindled down to a core of folks making weird-rear end hyper-positive posts about how the game was always perfect, and a whole fuckload of boring photo mode screenshots. Occasionally there's a crumb of news about the creation kit.

This is how it is with a lot of gaming fandoms. If nothing new is really going on, the most critical and the ambivalent eventually move on, leaving just the True Believers. With enough time, they create an alternate history of how the game was misunderstood or everyone else was wrong, actually.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think people are finally just tired of playing The Bethesda Game with various new coats of paint for the last 20 years

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I think people are finally just tired of playing The Bethesda Game with various new coats of paint for the last 20 years

I would play 8 hours a day of new Bethesda Games forever, as long as they were decent to good tbh.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's several things:

• "the writing" just isn't made by the same level of talent as the art assets, it's bad
  • Increasing game scale combining with increasing graphical fidelity is making the games unwieldy to produce, requiring more work from more people all at increasing distances of remove
  • The studio had a management style that worked for a small team and now doesn't work for a large team

Bethesda can't roll back the clock; they can't make smaller game (popular conception of what a AAA title is won't allow it), and they aren't the small company of long time coworkers anymore anyway.

So the only real questions are: can Microsoft improve the project management at Bethesda and can anyone with real writing talent get into a senior creative position there.

I think probably not, to both, but all I can do is wait and see. The worst part is I'm almost certainly going to buy ES6 anyway because games aren't prohibitively expensive and then, there you go, I've wallet voted.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think probably not, to both, but all I can do is wait and see. The worst part is I'm almost certainly going to buy ES6 anyway because games aren't prohibitively expensive and then, there you go, I've wallet voted.

I'm at a point in my life where I can afford all the games I wanted when I was younger, but I just don't have time to play every title that comes out.

So I'm 100% waiting on reviews for TE6 just because I don't want my limited gaming time to get soaked up by a mediocre experience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm at a point in my life where I can afford all the games I wanted when I was younger, but I just don't have time to play every title that comes out.

So I'm 100% waiting on reviews for TE6 just because I don't want my limited gaming time to get soaked up by a mediocre experience.

Yeah there's an interesting dynamic going on where as the average age of the gaming audience goes up, people have more money for their hobby but less time. I think this explains why most games being played are over 6 years old, and why so many people value longevity and 'lifetime support' in a game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's an interesting dynamic going on where as the average age of the gaming audience goes up, people have more money for their hobby but less time. I think this explains why most games being played are over 6 years old, and why so many people value longevity and 'lifetime support' in a game.

15-20 years ago I had loving opinions about the trend of games getting shorter and shorter single player campaigns and was loudly critical of anything where the campaign could be beaten in only 20-ish hours. That's less than a week of gaming after classes!

These days? I have this soul-shuddering sigh when I look at some open world monster that I know is going to require 100+ hours to really finish up. If I want to finish it out that's going to be a couple months of playing just that, and man that's a lot of time to live with one game. And I say this as someone who very much still games a fair bit, an hour or two a night isn't uncommon at all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jack B Nimble posted:

Bethesda can't roll back the clock; they can't make smaller game (popular conception of what a AAA title is won't allow it), and they aren't the small company of long time coworkers anymore anyway.

Bethesda aren't gonna make their Pentiment, I'm afraid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AndrewP posted:

I'm not, I just wish it were more cohesive than this thing they made

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

15-20 years ago I had loving opinions about the trend of games getting shorter and shorter single player campaigns and was loudly critical of anything where the campaign could be beaten in only 20-ish hours. That's less than a week of gaming after classes!

These days? I have this soul-shuddering sigh when I look at some open world monster that I know is going to require 100+ hours to really finish up. If I want to finish it out that's going to be a couple months of playing just that, and man that's a lot of time to live with one game. And I say this as someone who very much still games a fair bit, an hour or two a night isn't uncommon at all.

To me that's mostly about the KIND of long it is.

Some Ubisoft game probably takes as long to check off most of the junk as Baldur's Gate 3, but that's a very different play experience. Or better yet, BG3 vs the second installment of the Final Fantasy 7 remake, which seems to be a huge waste of time.

I don't have room for multiple BG3's, but I don't feel despair when they appear, I just slowly play through it, then the next one, at my own pace.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

To me that's mostly about the KIND of long it is.

Some Ubisoft game probably takes as long to check off most of the junk as Baldur's Gate 3, but that's a very different play experience. Or better yet, BG3 vs the second installment of the Final Fantasy 7 remake, which seems to be a huge waste of time.

I don't have room for multiple BG3's, but I don't feel despair when they appear, I just slowly play through it, then the next one, at my own pace.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. I've got a BG3 playthrough that's about 80% done that I'm sure I'll polish off in the coming months, even as I do other stuff on the side, but I just can't afford to be the gaming omnivore I was back in the day. One upon a time I'd put 80 hours into a game I thought was just OK because, gently caress it, it's new and fun enough and I've got some hours to kill. These days if I'm going to sink that kind of time in it has to really have something to sell it.

Interestingly I've been going back and doing a bunch of those old short campaigns that I skipped back in the day as palate cleansers. I remember derisively skipping WH40k Space Marine when it came out because it only had about 10 hours of gameplay. I just beat it (8.6 hours according to Steam) a few months ago and man, it felt positively refreshing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Optimal length for an RPG is 50-100 hours, preferably closer to 50 than 100. That's Fallout 2, Gothic 2, Planescape Torment, Disco Elysium, Mass Effect 2.

fite me

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
150 hours is the ideal RPG minimum.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: also it can't be under stated how many "reviewers" are basically putting up what they think is going to be the general consensus rather than an honest review. Starfield was expected to be good so a lot of people rushed to put out day 1 glowing reviews and it wasn't until the following weeks that the really critical ones started coming in, and then once the dam broke it was a flood of beating a dead horse.

To be honest I don’t really agree with this, I think even the day one reviews of Starfield were pretty lukewarm. From memory there were a lot of 6-7/10 scores, despite the “accolades trailer” guff from Bethesda.

Even in this thread, on day one there was someone who’d played a review copy and warning how “okay-ish” it was. Sucks for the people who’d already preordered it guess!

But yeah I agree that people will be pretty circumspect about the next Bethesda game.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
As long as number that goes up is an interesting number that goes up, with an interesting mechanic behind it going up, we like.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think ideal RPG length depends on the quality. If it's 10-25 hours it should have a lot of reactivity, like Alpha Protocol. If it's going to be be substantially longer, then it should be something that sticks to the ribs, like BG3, Dragon Age, New Vegas, etc.

Bonus points if it's a very long game and also filled with lots of reactivity. Like Deadfire, BG3, New Vegas, etc.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its not the length, its the girth.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I kinda feel like "games people can play with their kids" may be an underserved market given the demographics. (And that roguelites may be successful in part because of those changes?)

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
I will say one unambiguously good thing about the new patch is the ship decorating: the Starborn Guardian is now a ship i actually want to keep around because the interior isn't as dull. Why this feature wasn't around to begin with, I don't know 😕

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked Starfield day one because it had some promise; then it gets worse the more time you spend with it.

Notably, however, I wasn't posting reviews on day one lol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As a longtime Paradox Interactive fan it is well drilled into me that the correct opinion of a game only appears 2 weeks after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Love Shovel posted:

I will say one unambiguously good thing about the new patch is the ship decorating: the Starborn Guardian is now a ship i actually want to keep around because the interior isn't as dull. Why this feature wasn't around to begin with, I don't know 😕

Like a lot of things in Starfield: they had big plans and had to cut things for release. Modders had customizable ship interiors pretty soon after release, but it had the usual caveat that any ship edits wipes all your work. Bethesda finally got it working with a better degree of persistence (you can change your guns without losing everything).