Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is there an All Star Celebrity Apprentice thread in TV IV?

I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Is almond milk known to cause headaches or stomach aches? I tried some and I now have a mild case of both, which is odd since I can eat normal almonds and feel perfectly fine.

Almond milk does sometimes trigger headaches! FWIW, I eat rice almost every day but react very badly if I drink even a small amount of rice milk (which is just rice and water), so I guess you could have a problem with almond milk but not with almonds.

Why are strawberries considered a tropical fruit?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

miryei posted:

Are they?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

miryei posted:

I've never heard this before in my life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I associate strawberries with mountains and cold climates. Maybe that's erroneous too, I dunno.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have a link to that newish website that had old entries originally on Lowbrow.com? It was a plain website that you refreshed and new entries showed up. It had sorry_e_e@whatever.com, if that helps.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Sometimes, psychologists are asked to evaluate prison inmates to determine whether or not they are fit for early release. What fraction of the inmates who are evaluated gain positive evaluations that aid their efforts? Are inmates actually better off not letting themselves be evaluated (ie psychologists tend to give negative evaluations and generally reduce the likelihood of early release)?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

miryei posted:

Most strawberry species are holarctic and almost all cultivation happens in North America and Europe. Where on earth did you hear this?

EDIT Here are the production trends.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 4, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I associate strawberries with mountains and cold climates. Maybe that's erroneous too, I dunno.

They go dormant in cold winters and are easily damaged by frost.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

Sometimes, psychologists are asked to evaluate prison inmates to determine whether or not they are fit for early release. What fraction of the inmates who are evaluated gain positive evaluations that aid their efforts? Are inmates actually better off not letting themselves be evaluated (ie psychologists tend to give negative evaluations and generally reduce the likelihood of early release)?

Inmates do not have a choice when the court orders an evaluation. :911:

This branch of psychology is called Forensic Psychology. I think you are describing something you see on TV. The closest thing to what you are describing is called "Dangerousness Risk Evaluations." While thank god it isn't (directly) about penises, I would think you would have better luck with this question over in BFC in a legal thread.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Is there a larger version of :frogout: hanging out somewhere? Even if it's just the first/last frame, it'd be appreciated. Thanks :)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is there a larger version of :frogout: hanging out somewhere? Even if it's just the first/last frame, it'd be appreciated. Thanks :)

Not a perfect match, but there's this

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Allan Assiduity posted:

Here you go

2x size

5x size

10x size

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Howdy, I had to leave work early today because I am going through pill withdrawal real bad (I'm on SSRIs and I ran out on Wednesday and because I'm a loving idiot I didn't get to refill my prescription till this morning). My boss is away for a week and I had to basically just close the place early. I know I'm gonna need a doctors note for this poo poo.

My doctor has a long-rear end waiting list for appointments so I'm not really able to see them. How do I get a doctors note for my boss? Thank you.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Suzuki Method posted:

Howdy, I had to leave work early today because I am going through pill withdrawal real bad (I'm on SSRIs and I ran out on Wednesday and because I'm a loving idiot I didn't get to refill my prescription till this morning). My boss is away for a week and I had to basically just close the place early. I know I'm gonna need a doctors note for this poo poo.

My doctor has a long-rear end waiting list for appointments so I'm not really able to see them. How do I get a doctors note for my boss? Thank you.

Ask doctor to fax it through to your boss if there's a fax there. At least call and talk to the receptionist about it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Suzuki Method posted:

Which country are you in? If it's the UK a walk-in centre should do it for a nominal fee.

Also sympathy on SSRI withdrawal. They're a bitch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't seem to fit the Hardware questions thread in SH/SC so I'll post it here.

I'm wanting to get a password manager program since as it right now I'm not very safe. Lastpass looks good, it's free, and it's online so I'd still be able to access thing on other computers. But does anyone know if it is as safe as it claims?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I'm in Canada. Definitely gonna call the doctor office receptionist tomorrow morning (they're closed). if all else fails I'll see if a clinic can do it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RatHat posted:

Didn't seem to fit the Hardware questions thread in SH/SC so I'll post it here.

I'm wanting to get a password manager program since as it right now I'm not very safe. Lastpass looks good, it's free, and it's online so I'd still be able to access thing on other computers. But does anyone know if it is as safe as it claims?

I like lastpass a lot. It's very convenient. I do not know how safe it is. Another option is Keepass.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I like lastpass a lot. It's very convenient. I do not know how safe it is. Another option is Keepass.

I've used keepass both personally and professionally for years, and I think it's great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Baron Bifford posted:

I work in a courtroom, and this is all anecdotal, but just about anyone who refuses to cooperate with pre-trial services (which includes a psych eval) gets held with the full bond (what's worse is their case often gets continued to see if they'll agree to the evaluation later). The judges are much more likely to release people who pre-trial advises them not to release than people who refuse the screenings all together.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 5, 2013

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Most strawberry species are holarctic and almost all cultivation happens in North America and Europe. Where on earth did you hear this?

EDIT Here are the production trends.

"Strawberry" is included as a flavor in most "tropical" candy mixes (Starbursts, Skittles, and Jelly Bellies come to mind). It also appears in many other products with "tropical" in the name, such as this one or [http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/images/brandImages/Tropics_OrgStrawBanana_59oz.jpeg]this one[/url]. Strawberries are also sold under the "Tropical fruit" banner in the produce section of my grocery store, and are also pictured on the banner along with pineapples.

I know that strawberries don't grow well if at all in tropical areas, and I know they grow very well--wild, even--in my dad's hometown in New York. That's why I'm wondering why it's in all the "tropical" things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

miryei posted:

"Strawberry" is included as a flavor in most "tropical" candy mixes (Starbursts, Skittles, and Jelly Bellies come to mind). It also appears in many other products with "tropical" in the name, such as this one or [http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/images/brandImages/Tropics_OrgStrawBanana_59oz.jpeg]this one[/url]. Strawberries are also sold under the "Tropical fruit" banner in the produce section of my grocery store, and are also pictured on the banner along with pineapples.

Huh. You know I've seen these products before, now that I think about it, and never once thought of that :psyduck:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

miryei posted:

I know that strawberries don't grow well if at all in tropical areas, and I know they grow very well--wild, even--in my dad's hometown in New York. That's why I'm wondering why it's in all the "tropical" things.

Strawberries taste good with Bananas, which definitely are a tropical fruit. :ms:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah that's my answer too. Strawberries are a flavor that mixes well with other actual tropical flavors, and it forms a good tangy-sweet base for various fruit concoctions.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What show had the comedy skit where some guy traded the last grain of rice for another guy's first born child?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Solve a ten-year-old mystery for me: does this symbol mean anything?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking at Dental Insurance and Discount cards as I need a LOT of dental work done. I would eventually like to get my teeth replaced with implants. Right now though I want to get some implants to replace some extractions I've already had. I live in the US.

I've been doing some research for a few hours on the subject matter. I haven't found any insurance plans that cover implants, but I have found a discount card that gives a 25% discount on implants. Is this the norm since implants are considered cosmetic?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

oldskool posted:

It looks more like a practical tool of some sort than a symbol. Like some sort of guide or holder for string/chord/rope.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010

oldskool posted:

The vague shape resembling a 9 reminds me of a Magatama, but if that doesn't make any sense for where you got it or what it's connected to, I have no idea.

Fakeedit: Or it could be what he suggested. ^^^

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I feel so dumb. I took a bunch of pictures with my android phone, put them on my hard drive, and when I browse through them, the thumbnail differs from the actual image when I preview it. Also when flipping between the pictures, it's like there's a second picture that looks like it was taken a fraction of a second before the actual picture, and it flashes briefly before going to the actual picture.

I really can't articulate this well because I'm so :psyduck:. What's going on here? Why does my phone take 2 pictures with each press of the shutter, and how do I separate them?

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
My grandmother recently passed away, and while looking through some of her things we came across a stack of letters that were written by my grandfather (who passed away in '08), written to his parents while he was in the Navy. The years span from 1950-53, and there are about 50 letters in total. (There was even a photo in one of them... squee!)

I plan on scanning all of the letters and saving them on a drive, but I'd also like to upload them somewhere so that they're accessible to all of my family, but I don't really know where to start with that sort of thing, other than just uploading them all to a photobucket or imgur account. Is there a better way to share them?

If anyone has any suggestions on cool things to do with them, I'd hear them. I have no idea what kind of things I mean by "cool things," but I'm in a bit of mourning and just want to do something meaningful, ya know? :shobon:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

If anyone has any suggestions on cool things to do with them, I'd hear them. I have no idea what kind of things I mean by "cool things," but I'm in a bit of mourning and just want to do something meaningful, ya know? :shobon:

Digitize them all at a nice high res and print nice copies (the photos on archival photo paper, the letters on archival letter paper) and then use them as a part of a scrapbook. Give a copy to everyone, or ask everyone to chip in a bit so you're not paying for everything out of pocket.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rick posted:

I work in a courtroom, and this is all anecdotal, but just about anyone who refuses to cooperate with pre-trial services (which includes a psych eval) gets held with the full bond (what's worse is their case often gets continued to see if they'll agree to the evaluation later). The judges are much more likely to release people who pre-trial advises them not to release than people who refuse the screenings all together.
This is what I wanted to know. It is thus not in the interest of a defendant to resist an psychological evaluation, because his odds of release are greater whatever the psychologist says.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DarthJeebus posted:

I feel so dumb. I took a bunch of pictures with my android phone, put them on my hard drive, and when I browse through them, the thumbnail differs from the actual image when I preview it. Also when flipping between the pictures, it's like there's a second picture that looks like it was taken a fraction of a second before the actual picture, and it flashes briefly before going to the actual picture.

I really can't articulate this well because I'm so :psyduck:. What's going on here? Why does my phone take 2 pictures with each press of the shutter, and how do I separate them?

What's the file format of the pictures? (The three letters after the dot at the end of the filename, ".jpg" or whatever) Can you upload one or more of them somewhere so we can have a look at it?

I plan on scanning all of the letters and saving them on a drive, but I'd also like to upload them somewhere so that they're accessible to all of my family, but I don't really know where to start with that sort of thing, other than just uploading them all to a photobucket or imgur account. Is there a better way to share them?

If it's just for family, a Facebook album is probably easiest, unless your family is full of people who refuse to use Facebook.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

This is what I wanted to know. It is thus not in the interest of a defendant to resist an psychological evaluation, because his odds of release are greater whatever the psychologist says.

No, odds of release are greater if you follow the court's directions.

oldskool posted:

Looks like a stylized Wu-tang Clan symbol.

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 5, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

My grandmother recently passed away, and while looking through some of her things we came across a stack of letters that were written by my grandfather (who passed away in '08), written to his parents while he was in the Navy. The years span from 1950-53, and there are about 50 letters in total. (There was even a photo in one of them... squee!)

Probably the best and easiest way would be to burn them onto a DVD or CD and hand them out. Save the letters as PDFs because it would probably be the most likely program that everyone would have (if they're computer savvy at all). Also, they can take the CDs to printing places if they would rather have physical copies.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

I think the Library of Congress Veterans Project would be very appreciative of a copy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

the posted:

What show had the comedy skit where some guy traded the last grain of rice for another guy's first born child?

It was The Upright Citizens Brigade.

They also gave us the classic 'rear end-pennies' skit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there a thread somewhere where I can ask questions about small-time home repair? I just bought my house about 6mos ago, and need some advice regarding a couple of small jobs around the place.