Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggity
Oct 22, 2016

Old school cool
Now with all of the millenial bullshit

I LOVE welding on things where chlorinated solvents are present - Phosgene ams your friend!

angrygodofjebus posted:

How much does a Fear Inoculum bootleg go for?

I've seen it as low as $50, but I wouldn't personally pay that for it because i'm not as big a fan of it as their prior albums. And even then, if I am going to spend more than 35 on any album it's gonna be something I really enjoy and have been after for years.

I did recently pick up a copy of aenima at my local record store for $40. Guy had it in the back room because he wasn't comfortable putting unofficial releases and bootlegs on his shelves. While I was back there I noticed that he also had a copy of my bloody valentine - loveless that I happily snagged for $25. There were also a couple copies of the 10,000 days bootleg and I will be going back for one when I can afford to do so.

As for the quality of the aenima pressing, it is decent listening quality. Starts a little rough on side one but other than that no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Isn't the bootleg just going to be the CD pressed on vinyl?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

angrygodofjebus posted:

How much does a Fear Inoculum bootleg go for?

I got it for $39.99+ tax at my local record store. They imported a bunch of them from Europe.

Nail Rat posted:

More importantly, how are the sides set up?

Side A:
Fear Inoculum
Pneuma

Side B
Litanie Contre La Peur
Invincible
Legion Inoculant

SIde C
Descending
Culling Voices

SIde D
Chocolate Chip Trip
7empest
Mockingbeat

CPL593H posted:

Isn't the bootleg just going to be the CD pressed on vinyl?

Yep, still wanted a copy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I get bootlegs if they're live material or something like that. It's pretty lame that they banned that stuff from discogs, it's not actually illegal to sell, own, or buy them. Plus they still allow the sale of a lot of the kind of bootlegs you bought and/or counterfeit pressings. It's especially lovely because there are a lot of old bands that only did one or two singles or an EP that are impossibly rare, so bootleg comps are the only way you'll hear that stuff. Especially if you like old garage psych. There's a few comps of old Japanese garage bands from the 60s and the original 80s pressings are banned for sale but the reissues which are still unlicensed are fine. None of it makes any sense and I don't know why they suddenly took up this policy after years and years of not bothering.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think a release has to be flagged/reported and an admin will decide whether to block it from sale. I just checked 4 boots I have and all are sellable and even listed as “unofficial.”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

End of All Music has cleaned up and remastered The Frogs' first unreleased album! It's out on April 3rd, a limited press of 1000 with 500 being on purple vinyl. Copies will be available at the shows, which are coming up soon:

02.14 - Rickshaw Theatre - Vancouver, BC
02.15 - Substation - Seattle, WA
02.16 - Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR
02.18 - Chapel - San Francisco, CA
02.19 - Roxy - Los Angeles, CA
02.21 - Soda Bar - San Diego, CA
02.22 - Bunkhouse - Las Vegas, NV

Pirannha Volcano God is a top tier cut if only because the melody you're imagining in your head is exactly what the song is.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

End of All Music has cleaned up and remastered The Frogs' first unreleased album! It's out on April 3rd, a limited press of 1000 with 500 being on purple vinyl. Copies will be available at the shows, which are coming up soon:

02.14 - Rickshaw Theatre - Vancouver, BC
02.15 - Substation - Seattle, WA
02.16 - Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR
02.18 - Chapel - San Francisco, CA
02.19 - Roxy - Los Angeles, CA
02.21 - Soda Bar - San Diego, CA
02.22 - Bunkhouse - Las Vegas, NV

Pirannha Volcano God is a top tier cut if only because the melody you're imagining in your head is exactly what the song is.

Hell yes, I'm going to grab one at the Portland show.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snagged that Mondo Freaked release a little bit ago, gonna have to watch the movie again tonight to celebrate!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The only thing more exciting than finally getting a copy of Freaked was being able to unfollow Mondo from all my social media immediately afterwards.

loving kick rocks, Mondo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pretty sure I bought someone's collection today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

pretty sure I bought someone's collection today.

I've never heard of this band but I certainly like one of those album covers.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I had some amazing luck at the Goodwill today:

$2 for each. Usually they overprice anything that's a recognizable name. I've been looking for Black Moses (now the coolest gatefold I own) and Zeppelin III since forever. The third one is this band.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 23, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The best release of 2020 is here: https://davidlynch.bandcamp.com/album/the-flame-of-love

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

gently caress. Yes.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I ordered that single so fast I didn’t realize there was an alternate clear vinyl version until after ordering the black copy. :argh:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've never given David Lynch any money. I'm not sure I'll listen to this more than once but 20 bucks is a steal for Twin Peaks Season 3 existing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This is worth the $15 (with shipping) just to sit on the shelf for 50 years after I play it once.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nail Rat posted:

This is worth the $15 (with shipping) just to sit on the shelf for 50 years after I play it once.

:hai:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Drafthouse Films was selling a single with the two songs from Miami Connection and I scoffed because after shipping it would cost 17 bucks. They sell for 100 now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A full month after Christmas, VMP finally answered my support ticket to add the gift membership my wife got me to my account

They added it as store credit and said if I wanted to transfer it to membership credit to open a new ticket

Cool

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
now that I'm back into collecting records (after nearly a decade layoff) I'm amazed how much the prices have gone up. everything's like double what I remember it being

the local shop took in a huge influx of records that were right up my alley, as I flipped through them I thought "wow it's like someone robbed my house". yes I wound up spending $100 on Gentle Giant & Todd Rundgren LPs, plus a copy of Gary Numan's Dance, Thomas Dolby's Flat Earth, Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, two records by Triumvirat (!), and Uriah Heep's Demons & Wizards. plus the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, just cuz I didn't have it. When I was into this a decade ago a lot of this was stuff you couldn't give away.

case in point, copies of Thriller are like $10+ now, despite the fact that it sold more than any LP in history

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is the IKEA Kallax still the standard for record shelves? I need another 2x4 style but haven't used anything aside from... whatever the earlier version of the Kallax was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Schremp Howard posted:

Is the IKEA Kallax still the standard for record shelves? I need another 2x4 style but haven't used anything aside from... whatever the earlier version of the Kallax was.

There's some equivalents, I bought mine from Walmart as I could get it cheaper and free shipping. I believe Target do a set too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
hope y'all are entering this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsSSikepEZw

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

now that I'm back into collecting records (after nearly a decade layoff) I'm amazed how much the prices have gone up. everything's like double what I remember it being

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The new Sparks album A Steady Drip, Drip Drip is up for pre-order. Release date of May 15th.

The picture disc/packaging is pretty:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeah I'll be grabbing that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are their more recent albums actually good?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Are their more recent albums actually good?
I'd say Lil Beethoven is their last total masterpiece, but they're always worth picking up. The last one was my favorite of the post-LB material, but I do revsit the newer albums at the same rate as the old classics. Except FFS.

Though "Police Encounters" fucks.

Too bad if there's any US dates, there's a chance it'll might just be L.A., but with the Leo Carax movie and the Edgar Wright doc coming out this year, maybe they'll make a bigger push and do a full tour.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 28, 2020

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I think all the Sparks albums from Li'l Beethoven on are really good, even FFS and that weird musical thing they did about Ingmar Bergman

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/vinylmeplease/status/1221946054796550146?s=21

All three of these are stellar choices. Probably the best month VMP has had in a while.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

You may just get them this time too

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Photex posted:

You may just get them this time too

I had a stress-free January so I’m cautiously optimistic they turned a corner after a disastrous November and December.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

New Dan Deacon is rad as hell, super chill, but still with that wall of sound production that always made me angry for not coming up with myself.

Dømkirke by Sunn O))) was a birthday gift because my friends know me waaaaaaaaaaaay too well.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yea the new Dan Deacon is amazing, I feel like anyone who was ever a fan is gonna be satisfied with it. my only complaint is that it sounds like way too many ideas crammed into 45 minutes but otoh his sound is a bit hard to take over long intervals so maybe that's for the best.

this is probably the first time in over a decade where I actually preordered a physical copy and waited for it to arrive, its dumb but the first listen was so much more satisfying that way

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

JAMOOOL posted:

yea the new Dan Deacon is amazing, I feel like anyone who was ever a fan is gonna be satisfied with it. my only complaint is that it sounds like way too many ideas crammed into 45 minutes but otoh his sound is a bit hard to take over long intervals so maybe that's for the best.

That seems like an odd criticism since it's pretty much his whole appeal to me - so many notes and so many things going on at the same time. It is completely overwhelming and that's exactly why I love it, it's like the audio equivalent of a Where's Waldo book. The new album is amazing and has the strongest vocal performances and songwriting of his career thus far and makes me really excited to see what he does next, I think he has a true masterpiece in him somewhere. Sat By A Tree might be my new favorite song of his, that bass line is infectiously catchy and I haven't been able to stop humming it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

internet celebrity posted:

That seems like an odd criticism since it's pretty much his whole appeal to me - so many notes and so many things going on at the same time. It is completely overwhelming and that's exactly why I love it, it's like the audio equivalent of a Where's Waldo book. The new album is amazing and has the strongest vocal performances and songwriting of his career thus far and makes me really excited to see what he does next, I think he has a true masterpiece in him somewhere. Sat By A Tree might be my new favorite song of his, that bass line is infectiously catchy and I haven't been able to stop humming it.

America is pretty close to masterpiece level to me, but that is tempered HEAVILY by Dave Hughes’ video for it.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Sat By A Tree might be my new favorite song of his, that bass line is infectiously catchy and I haven't been able to stop humming it.

Same here. I dig those OMD vibes it gives me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

so many notes and so many things going on at the same time. It is completely overwhelming and that's exactly why I love it, it's like the audio equivalent of a Where's Waldo book.
Density and texture are the most important aspects of music to me and I love being overwhelmed by music. I especially tend to fixate on a handful of albums listening to them over and over again, untangling them instrument by instrument. Dan Deacon is utterly perfect for this.

I think he has a true masterpiece in him somewhere.
I think this is as close as he's gotten so far, the overall songwriting feels much more consistent as a whole cohesive album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
How does the record sound? The mastering on the digital release is brick walled pretty hard, I feel like the explosive moments could hit so much harder if there was more dynamic range to work with.