Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

I thought the GWS hive mind textus receptus on carbonara was The Silver Spoon and The Silver Spoon puts garlic in there.

Textus receptus has been shown to have errors and is divergent from earlier manuscripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I was looking for a recipe for chicken and kale soup, and boy did I ever find one!

I thought about pointing out everything here that was wrong, but I gave up at the dried cilantro. ;_;

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2043285 posted:

INGREDIENTS:

16oz (1lb) bag of frozen, chopped Kale
8 frozen or fresh boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1 Large White Onion, fresh chopped OR 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onion
1 Large (or 2 Med) peeled Potato, cut into chunks
4-6 Large Carrots, peeled, cut into pieces (OR 2 cups cut up)
3 1/2 cups Water
2 Bay Leaves WHOLE
1 T Garlic Powder or 2 T fresh minced onion
1 T Cilantro, dried - optional to taste
Season with Salt & Pepper to taste

1/2 c COLD water
1/4 c Unbleached, Whole Wheat Flour

DIRECTIONS:
Empty bag of Kale into the crock pot
Add chicken tenderloins,(frozen & unthawed) onion, potato, carrots, seasonings and 3 1/2 cups of water

Set to 4 hour cooking time (or however long you choose)

About 10-15 mins before serving mix 1/2 c COLD water with 1/4 c flour and add to stew to thicken it.

Serve immediately or whenever you want!

Pain shared is pain, um.. shared. Enjoy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
:chloe:

That's not what crockpots are for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EVG posted:

I was looking for a recipe for chicken and kale soup, and boy did I ever find one!

I thought about pointing out everything here that was wrong, but I gave up at the dried cilantro. ;_;

Pain shared is pain, um.. shared. Enjoy.

Oh hey make gruel at the end to thicken it... pro. Good lord that is horrifying.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Textus receptus has been shown to have errors and is divergent from earlier manuscripts.
Which is really the nicest thing you can say about it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

garlic in carbonara you monster

next you're gonna tell me about the cream you put in your alfredo

hella garlic

all the garlic

also I add shramps sometimes

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like a prison recipe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

also I add shramps sometimes

What's a shramp? A tofu-based seafood substitute?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Drifter posted:

#foodchat has created its own language.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

It's like chikan but of the sea

Really good on noodl

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahh. That doesn't sound so appealing. I think I'll just stick with some grass-fed beff.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm a vegan so I can't eat tofu, does anyone know of any tofu substitutes? Can I use steak like I would use tofu?

Wait... What? I have never heard of vegans being unable to eat tofu... Why can't you? It does not resemble meat unless you want it to.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Wait... What? I have never heard of vegans being unable to eat tofu... Why can't you? It does not resemble meat unless you want it to.

The entire last two pages have been making fun of Jan.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

The entire last two pages have been making fun of Jan.

Oh okay, I was horribly confused.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Those last few posts were confusing as hell.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dane posted:

I just scrolled through the last fifty posts and it read like dialogue from The Smurfs with "smurf" substituted by "tofu".
You can't just substitute tofu for smurf you idiot, they're completely different things.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can't just substitute tofu for smurf you idiot, they're completely different things.

Scarybagels's Smurf Primer

1. Take recipe with tofu in it.
2. Substitute tofu with Smurf

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
In response to super fast date dinner with only about 30-45 minutes of prep time after work..

mich posted:

If you want something nice, just keep in mind you do need to do some sort of cooking upon coming home because meat is good in the slow cooker but vegetables all day in the slow cooker will be mush. Something like braised short ribs would be good. Make sure you sear the short ribs and deglaze them on the stove first before transferring to the slow cooker for the braising step. Then when you get home you can do something fairly simple like mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans. To speed up the process, before work cube up your potatoes and leave them in the fridge in bowl under cold water to keep them from browning and prep your green beans by blanching them in salted water for a few minutes, then putting them in an ice water bath, then transfer to a colander in the fridge to dry. Then after work just bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water until tender, mash with some cream or put through a ricer and stir in cream. While the potatoes boil mince some garlic and shallots, sautee those with butter and add your green beans and heat through. Serve the braised short ribs and their sauce over the potatoes with the green beans on the side.

Certain types of pasta sauce you can simmer for a long time, like a classic Sunday sauce or bolognese. You can let those sauces go all day and then just need to boil pasta and finish pasta in the sauce to serve.

Agricola Frigidus posted:

Make a salad. I've gotten good results with an ardennaise salad. Slightly out of season in the north of the world, though.
- Dressing: a mix of honey, raspberry vinager, pepper, salt, oil, and diced strawberries. This can safely be kept for 2 weeks in a closed container in the fridge.
- Salad: a mix of your favorite kinds of vegetables (shredded lettuce, diced bell peppers, shredded chicory...) and any kind of black or red berry you can get your hands on.
- Pan-fried potatoes (and pepper, salt, rosemary, thyme...). You can boil and slice them the day before or in the morning. They only take a few minutes to heat up and become crispy.
- Something savory - oven-warmed bacon-wrapped goat cheese; shredded and heated chicken...

Thanks guys. I think I might marry these ideas and either do pasta + that salad or the ribs. What I need to know now...

What's the best goon recommended banana pudding recipe known to mankind of all time forever?

Trasal
Nov 11, 2014
I just learned about ground coffee dry rubs for meats. I tried it on a seared, stuffed pork chop. It was a bit bland, honestly.
Any suggestions on how to better use this type of rub? Or perhaps a better meat compliment?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Trasal posted:

I just learned about ground coffee dry rubs for meats. I tried it on a seared, stuffed pork chop. It was a bit bland, honestly.
Any suggestions on how to better use this type of rub? Or perhaps a better meat compliment?

...did you use salt? (just checking)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, what did you do, specifically? Learning about something != doing it correctly. And often I have people who don't necessarily like just the rub on pork, but think it's a fantastic complement with a little sauce.

Was your rub something like this?:
2 tablespoons freshly ground coffee
2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coco powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander

Some people forget sugar, or forget the other zesty spices which feed off the smokiness of the coffee. You might also want to try a darker, more darkly roasted coffee if you aren't grilling it (since the smoky flavor is kinda the point). Maybe broil it for a while?

I'm not much of a griller, though, so someone else may have more accurate ideas about what's going on.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 11, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was just gifted a bag of assorted hot peppers - jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers. I'm not terribly interested in making hot sauce. What are some ideas to use them? I'm thinking of stuffed peppers (at least for the jalapenos/banana peppers). Any good recipes for those? It's probably about two lbs of assorted peppers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Midniter posted:

I was just gifted a bag of assorted hot peppers - jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers. I'm not terribly interested in making hot sauce. What are some ideas to use them?

Some guy basically asked the question a few pages back (first post of the page), you probably will have some ideas there.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Anyone have a specific, go-to, amazing Pressure Cooker Chili recipe? I don't have a lot of experience making chili, so an actual recipe with amounts of this and that would be appreciated. I was thinking that one with chunks of beef that would take time to break down would go well with the Pressure Cooker.

Not having made much chili, I don't know the ingredients/ratios well enough to know if the recipes I find online are crap. But, I assume most probably are.

It's for a Chili Cook-Off this Friday at work, and I think even a recipe that's "Pretty Good" by GWS standards would wow my co-workers.

I'm not opposed to slow cooker recipes either, but since I have a PC, why not use it? Except the recipes I'm finding all seem to be focused on the "LOOK HOW FAST THIS COOKS!" rather than how delicious it is, which is what I'm going for.

Beans/No Beans, I don't care (as long as the fight doesn't start again over this.)

This recipe looks pretty amazing. Any idea if (and how) it could be altered for pressure cooking so I could make it on Thursday night after work? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

EVG fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 11, 2014

Trasal
Nov 11, 2014

Drifter posted:

Yeah, what did you do, specifically? Learning about something != doing it correctly. And often I have people who don't necessarily like just the rub on pork, but think it's a fantastic complement with a little sauce.

Was your rub something like this?:
2 tablespoons freshly ground coffee
2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coco powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander

Some people forget sugar, or forget the other zesty spices which feed off the smokiness of the coffee. You might also want to try a darker, more darkly roasted coffee if you aren't grilling it (since the smoky flavor is kinda the point). Maybe broil it for a while?

I'm not much of a griller, though, so someone else may have more accurate ideas about what's going on.

I took a medium dark roast, ground the beans into a fine powder. I mixed it with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a tap of red pepper, and Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. I rubbed it rather thick, shook off the excess. Sliced it open and stuffed it with the usual bacon, spinach, cheese. Heated my black iron skillet and seared both sides until nice and crusted. Then I baked it.
It may have been sugar, the roast, or perhaps the method I cooked it. I'll have to try again! Thanks.

Trasal fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 11, 2014

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

EVG posted:

This recipe looks pretty amazing. Any idea if (and how) it could be altered for pressure cooking so I could make it on Thursday night after work? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

Generally any recipe where there is a braising step where you simmer for some numbers of hours you can replace that step with pressure cooking for a shorter period of time. So you can follow the recipe, pressure cook for 30 or whatever minutes instead of the cooking for 2-3.5 hours in step 6. You may need to cook it a little bit more after pressure cooking with the lid off if you need to evaporate some of the liquid.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Midniter posted:

I was just gifted a bag of assorted hot peppers - jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers. I'm not terribly interested in making hot sauce. What are some ideas to use them? I'm thinking of stuffed peppers (at least for the jalapenos/banana peppers). Any good recipes for those? It's probably about two lbs of assorted peppers.

I'd make some great curries and chili with those myself.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It differs from cooker to cooker based on what pressure it actually gets to (not all get up to the full 15 psi that recipes are designed for). It also depends on what elevation you're at. In general I usually decrease the cooking time to 1/4-1/3 the time it takes at atmospheric pressure where I live. For chili: chuck, shank, brisket take about 30 min. Here's a great reference for other times including beans https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

It differs from cooker to cooker based on what pressure it actually gets to (not all get up to the full 15 psi that recipes are designed for). It also depends on what elevation you're at. In general I usually decrease the cooking time to 1/4-1/3 the time it takes at atmospheric pressure where I live. For chili: chuck, shank, brisket take about 30 min. Here's a great reference for other times including beans https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

I'm in Chicago (no idea what elevation that is)) and have the Fagor Duo 8 & 10 qt set. Thanks - I'll try it out! Was mostly worried about whether I needed to adjust the ratio of liquid.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ok, I'm gonna try my hand at making maki rolls, and I figured I'd start off easy/cheap by doing Spam musubi. What's a good sauce for the Spam? Soy + brown sugar?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I'm curing some egg yolks and I managed to break both of the yolks while putting them into the salt. Will they still cure into something usable or should I just toss them and try again?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I like to make steaks, seared outside, raw otherwise--what's my best cut for price, tenderness, and leanness?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mescal posted:

I like to make steaks, seared outside, raw otherwise--what's my best cut for price, tenderness, and leanness?

This varies bigtime depending on geographic location. Where do you live, roundabouts? A lot of once thought to be cheaper cuts have gone up in price specifically due to the higher demand.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Drifter posted:

This varies bigtime depending on geographic location. Where do you live, roundabouts? A lot of once thought to be cheaper cuts have gone up in price specifically due to the higher demand.

The cuts themselves vary a lot depending on region... I have a hard time coming up with an answer because cuts have different names in French than English, and often don't actually have a direct equivalent.

With marinade, I'd recommend flat iron steak (macreuse) or flank steak (bavette). The former is cheaper around here.

As-is, sirloin steak (both faux-filet and contre-filet translate to sirloin steak, faux-filet being the tastier but fattier cut). I think what is normally called T-bone steak includes the faux-filet with some extra bones?

Note that "cheap", "lean" and "tasty" tend to be mutually exclusive, especially in the case of steaks...

Jan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 12, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm in Oregon. I don't do anything to the steak except salt and pepper and throw it on the cast iron real quick. I've had good luck with the cheapish "round tip" cut they have at my safeway. The marbled stuff is just a bitch to chew, and all the cuts taste good to me when they're super rare.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Find a butcher who dry ages. This will 100% improve everything versus a supermarket steak.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got a mushroom log. I've soaked it three times now but each time I leave it out it seems to grow mold instead of mushrooms. I live in California where it's extra dry and it seems difficult to get the right amount of humidity. Keep trying or give up?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I got a mushroom log. I've soaked it three times now but each time I leave it out it seems to grow mold instead of mushrooms. I live in California where it's extra dry and it seems difficult to get the right amount of humidity. Keep trying or give up?

Keep trying. Do you have a hydrometer? Shiitakes right? It'll take like a year before they fruit anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A yeaaarrer!!??

I can get a hydrometer. What am I aiming for?

Is the white fuzz a mold or is that the mushroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

A yeaaarrer!!??

I can get a hydrometer. What am I aiming for?

Is the white fuzz a mold or is that the mushroom?

that's how long I thought it was for plugs to colonize a log. Did you buy an already inoculated ready to fruit log? I think the bright white spots are mycelium. Maybe wipe off the mold?