Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This was a couple days ago but:

You should probably just post this in the thread.

Mak0rz posted:

Seconding this!

Fair enough. I'm up to five copies sent out by PMs at this point. Here ya go:

Note that this assumes you're fairly familiar with the game and the general notions of breaking it like "have good junctions", "don't over-level", and "throw limits at everything". This is more about how to quickly and easily get those good junctions and GF abilities.

Early-game:

Draw enough Cures to keep yourself alive by casting them. One or two draws on one or two characters will probably be plenty: early-game's pretty easy.

Optionally draw 100 (not 300, so only about 33 per character, or 50 if you do it in the Squall/Quistis segment) of Fire, Blizzard, *or* Thunder to use as a Str junction during the Dollet mission.

Alternative to the above: set Shiva to learning I Mag-RF, and start killing the fish things on the beach. You'll learn the ability after 5 battles, and by that time you've hopefully gotten at least 5 Fish Fins as drops. Use I Mag-RF to turn them into Water spells as a (better) Str junction for Dollet - and even Ifrit, if you don't mind Ifrit not getting that AP and experience. (Down side: some unwanted experience. This may or may not concern you.)

Nab Occult Fan I in the library so you can sell it for future funding. (You can re-buy it later in the game if that concerns you.)

After Dollet, before Timber:

Draw a few Blinds from the training center boss to make Diabolos easy to beat. (Only way he can kill someone is with a physical attack.) You can alternatively get some from the draw point at the communication tower in Dollet.

30 Tents = 300 Curagas. Junction to HP on everyone for easy limits. If you don't feel like funding it with SeeD payments, sell Occult Fan I.

Quistis card = 180 Triples. Split 100/80 or 90/90 and junction to Str on whichever characters have Shiva and Ifrit for Str-J.

Zell card = 3 copies of Str +60%. Toss on Quetz/Shiva/Ifrit and combine with above for big Str numbers.

Win MiniMog card. Give MiniMog to the Queen of Cards and make sure she goes to Dollet.

After Timber:

Talk to the QoC in Dollet to create Kiros card.

While you're in Dollet, you could pick up the Siren card for 3 copies of ST-Atk, but by the time this will come in useful (considering you're one-shotting everything), you'll probably have 3 natural copies anyway.

- RNG manipulation to abolish Random in Dollet, assuming Queen of Cards is in Dollet:

1. Carry a set of rules such that you can combine rules in Dollet but "Open spreads" and "Same Wall spreads" are not possible outcomes. (Which in practice means either don't carry Open, or spread Open first. These instructions will result in spreading Open instead of abolishing Random if you ignore this part, so you could use them to deliberately spread Open.)

2. Save in Dollet hotel, then hard-reset. (Any console-level way of resetting the game that isn't the in-game L1/L2/R1/R2/Select/Start combo or getting a game over, basically.)

3. Leave the hotel and hold up to immediately re-enter. (The central square screen gradually uses random numbers just by being on it. Immediately re-entering the hotel will use 1 random number.)

4. Challenge a card-player in the hotel twice and say no both times.

5. Challenge a card-player in the hotel, say yes, and quit at the rules screen.

(Alternative method if QoC is not in Dollet: Stay in the hotel the whole time (skip step 3), and challenge/no four times beforehand instead of twice.)

Deling City:

Kiros card = 3 copies of Auto-Haste. Toss on Quetz/Shiva/Ifrit again to be not only hard-hitting but also speedy.

Get Sacred card along with Brothers GF. Give it to the QoC in Dollet to create Irvine card; if you don't feel like continuing the sidequest it doesn't matter where she goes (if you do, send her to Balamb).

Win Sacred card back and mod it for a gazillion (well, 2000 if you refine them all) Quakes. These serve as a decent Mag junction for drawing in...

Disc 2:

First boss battle (Biggs/Wedge), take the time to draw 300 copies of Haste, Regen, and Reflect. These are earmarked for Spd (later), Vit, and Spr respectively. This is the first time in the game that you really benefit from drawing. The above junctions can easily carry you this far without drawing. If you're really feeling rushed, just get Reflect, but this is really a safe, convenient, and easy source of all three spells.

Irvine card = 150 more Triples. Alternatively (see below), you can use the card for 3 copies of Spd +40%.

Odin: if you're not in the "both Odin and Gilgamesh are annoying punks that I'd rather never have" camp, go ahead and pick him up. You're doing this not for his own sake - he's not terribly helpful when you're curbstomping everything anyway - but because you can draw your remaining Triple spells from him, as well as mugging a Luck-J Scroll (which you should use: Zell and Irvine get the most mileage out of critical hits from Luck junctions; Squall gets the least).

- Either way, at this point you should have 300+ Triples as well as Str-J and Str +60% on each of your frontline party members. It should be understood that you are hitting like trucks with everyone now.

Meltdown - draw from high level (Tonberry's LV Up; same applies to any other mention of high level enemies) Gaylas. Hug the mountains near Trabia Garden. Both for Vit junctions and for casting. (May want to get a few extra Meltdowns and store them on other characters for easy replenishment when you cast them.)

Pandemonium card = gazillion Tornados. Upgrade your HP junctions. Feel free to use that pile of 300 Curagas for healing purposes now; they should easily carry you through the end of the game.

Cerberus - mug for a Spd-J Scroll and teach to some GF that you won't be pairing with either Pandemonium or Cerberus. Between that and those two GFs, you've got three copies of Spd-J, which you should junction Haste to. (Your speed will be pretty obscene with that, Auto-Haste, and possibly Spd +40%. Consider turning down the battle speed: your goal is that you should neither feel like you're waiting much for your turns, nor that you're wasting time because turns come so quickly that most of the time spent is waiting for you to pick a command. Meanwhile, enemies get slower, the lower the battle speed is.)

Don't read the Timber Maniacs in Shumi Village.

Disc 3:

During Laguna's Ruby Dragon fight (which you should back away from first, so you can hop into the menu and junction up Kiros and Ward), kill off one party member, LV Up the Ruby Dragon as necessary, draw 200 Meteors, kill off another and revive the first one, and draw another 100 Meteors. Ruby Dragons don't use their threatening attacks if one party member is dead, for whatever reason, so it's pretty safe and Meteor is a *fantastic* Str junction. Well okay, only slightly better than Triple - though it is better - but this also means you can move Triple to Spd.

Post-Ragnarok:

Learn Tonberry's shopping abilities if you haven't already. Cactuar murder spree: Irvine in limit condition + lowest battle speed + Initiative + nobody else with Initiative + one single bullet of Shotgun Ammo.

Use infinite gil method - refine Tents/Cottages into Mega-Potions and sell - if necessary for funding, then buy 40 Power Wrists or Hypno Crowns. Refine these 10 at a time into 100 Aura Stones, then 100 Auras, and leave the last batch as 100 Aura Stones for causing the status in battle. Auras can be junctioned to Luck on physical characters; on magical characters, put Aura on Str and move Meteor to Mag (alternatively, move Triple to Mag and put Haste back on Spd, if you don't mind being slower).

Mug 4 high level Toramas (NB: unlike most enemies which are high level at 30+, Toramas and a few others are high level at 40+) for 4 Regen Rings apiece. These 16 Regen Rings will net you 300 Full-lifes with a ring left over. Junction this to HP or Spr, whichever you feel needs the boost more. Alternatively, draw 300 Full-lifes from Bahamut or Fujin, but the Torama method is probably easier and certainly less boring.

Breeze through the rest of the game: you've pretty much got all the best endgame junctions except Ultima (for which there's really no fast and easy option). You'll probably want to detour to pick up some status spells (e.g. Confuse, Berserk, Pain, Sleep) if you plan to go Malboro hunting, such as to get Doomtrain.

To put into context how relatively effortless all of this is...

The oh-so-daunting list of spells you sit around drawing:
300x Haste
300x Regen
300x Reflect
Maybe 120x Triple
300x Meltdown
300x Meteor

The oh-so-daunting list of cards you sit around winning:
Enough cards to win the card games you play
1x Quistis
1x Zell
1x MiniMog
1x Kiros
1x Sacred
1x Irvine
1x Pandemonium

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I remember a lot of this from Leo K's FFVIII LP, it's a real shame he had it taken down. :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Wow, this seems like the most emo thing Square has ever done. Why couldn't it have just been fantasy Yakuza doing hero things?

TWEWY is just about as emo as it gets and it's awesome so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that I'll be emotionally invested enough that it'd be a better experience overall than just fantasy Yakuza doing hero things all day.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Excels posted:

I remember a lot of this from Leo K's FFVIII LP, it's a real shame he had it taken down. :(

It seems we're once again in a state of the LP Archive having no FF8 LP.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

TWEWY is just about as emo as it gets and it's awesome so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that I'll be emotionally invested enough that it'd be a better experience overall than just fantasy Yakuza doing hero things all day.

TWEWY was a lot of things, but protagonist aside (and for like the first week at that) I'm not sure I'd call it emo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

TWEWY was a lot of things, but protagonist aside (and for like the first week at that) I'm not sure I'd call it emo.
The entire point of the game was about how that sort of mindset was self-absorbed and dumb.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

The entire point of the game was about how that sort of mindset was self-absorbed and dumb.

To the point where it lampooned the whole concept in its post-game chapter:

TWEWY was one of the best JRPGs ever. :allears:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Vil posted:

It seems we're once again in a state of the LP Archive having no FF8 LP.

In case you missed it, someone posted a link to Leovinus' LP a page or two back: http://www.nastyprisms.com/temp/cache/lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%201-1/index.html

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, TWEWY is very very anti-emo/shut-in, but it's very easy to write it off as "emo" because of how it presents itself, and I just think writing off FF15 as "emo" at first glance is kinda silly, basically for the same reason.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I certainly hope so, but I don't really have faith in the writing team to not make this just Dark and Depressing: The Game. I'm mostly wondering how the narrative will come together at all, considering how bad the development cycle has been. Will we get another XIII, where it was very obvious they had to write around almost everything?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So FFXV's moral is "being a hero isn't easy."

I don't much care for the term "emo" because it's thrown around incorrectly way too often, but I guess I can kinda see what they might be going for. Most FF teams have a few miserable people on them but they're miserable because of horrible pasts and the like. They aren't actaully agonizing about all the pain and effort it takes to save the world and stuff. Ya gotta figure there's a lot of weighty responsibility on your shoulders when you know it's just you that stands between the world and destruction, life and death.

Although Yuna kinda already did that. Oh well.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Terper posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, TWEWY is very very anti-emo/shut-in, but it's very easy to write it off as "emo" because of how it presents itself, and I just think writing off FF15 as "emo" at first glance is kinda silly, basically for the same reason.

Yeah, but see the "dark tortured soul" was way cooler and cutting edge back in 1991 when FFXV started development.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majorian posted:

I've done that before. The way I remember it is basically, "Strago goes in Party 1, Party 1 stays to the left."

That did it, thanks!

Now time to attempt Goddess :gonk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be honest I'm not even sure the word 'emo' means anything anymore. People call Leon 'your right hand comes off? :v:' Kennedy emo because of his haircut.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

To be honest I'm not even sure the word 'emo' means anything anymore. People call Leon 'your right hand comes off? :v:' Kennedy emo because of his haircut.

There is a character in a manga/anime who is literally defined by how apathetic and unfeeling he is. It's an integral part of his character that he cannot process human emotions.

And people call him emo.

It's a very dumb word. And Leon's hair is as awesome as the rest of him.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
A bit late on the Ivalice chat and the games are very different, but Crimson Shroud from Level-5 on the 3DS was led (?) by Yasumi Matsuno and feels a LOT like the vibe of the Tactics games, FF12 and Vagrant Story.

As an RPG it's short and simple, but the character models look like FF12 rejects and the music is similar to all the Matsuno games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

In case you missed it, someone posted a link to Leovinus' LP a page or two back: http://www.nastyprisms.com/temp/cache/lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%201-1/index.html

You've just made my day :allears:

I can't wait to read the adventures of Robert and Worf again

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm replaying FF4 on iOS, and for anyone who played it on this or DS, where's the best place to gil farm? There's an achievement associated with having 500,000 gil (at one time, not cumulative), and it just seems annoying and a chore, but dammit I'm a completionist.

Also, what's the best strategy for farming the 4 hidden summons (also an achievement).

Edit: Nevermind about the gil, I just cheated and sold everything I had and then reset. Would still appreciate help on the summons though.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 12, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Vil posted:

Fair enough. I'm up to five copies sent out by PMs at this point. Here ya go:

Your guide doesn't mention the fish fins you can refine into Waters for much more strength before even doing ifrit, or the Elnoyle in Esthar you can farm for Energy Crystals.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Your guide doesn't mention the fish fins you can refine into Waters for much more strength before even doing ifrit, or the Elnoyle in Esthar you can farm for Energy Crystals.

Fish Fins could probably be a good addition, yeah. (e: I'll go edit them in.)

Energy Crystals are a little more out of scope; the guide's more about being functionally good fast than it is about going through grindier processes to max out (which I think both Ultima junctions and weapon upgrades fall under; there'd be more of a case to do it for Lion Heart if not that Lion Heart was debatable and unreliable to begin with).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

NikkolasKing posted:

Most FF teams have a few miserable people on them but they're miserable because of horrible pasts and the like. They aren't actaully agonizing about all the pain and effort it takes to save the world and stuff.

You just described 90% of the cast of FFVI. Heck, even the Figaro brothers had the Succession War in FFVI iOS, where Edgar had to piledrive his karate brother into Mt. Koltz to seal him away because of his awesome power, but wound up recruiting him anyway because "Empire bad!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

Fish Fins could probably be a good addition, yeah. (e: I'll go edit them in.)

Energy Crystals are a little more out of scope; the guide's more about being functionally good fast than it is about going through grindier processes to max out (which I think both Ultima junctions and weapon upgrades fall under; there'd be more of a case to do it for Lion Heart if not that Lion Heart was debatable and unreliable to begin with).

I suppose you could mention the CC group just because they're that useful of a sidequest and for Holy Wars, but they're not necessary to just beat the game.

You could also mention Seifer on Disc 3 as the best source of Aura - you're on a time limit to draw as much of it from him if you got Odin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

Heck, even the Figaro brothers had the Succession War in FFVI iOS, where Edgar had to piledrive his karate brother into Mt. Koltz to seal him away because of his awesome power, but wound up recruiting him anyway because "Empire bad!"

Wait, did they seriously retcon that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Wait, did they seriously retcon that?

I have no idea what he's talking about because no. It's the same script give or take a few typos.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Of course not, you don't get something that radical in a Final Fantasy game!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I suppose you could mention the CC group just because they're that useful of a sidequest and for Holy Wars, but they're not necessary to just beat the game.

You could also mention Seifer on Disc 3 as the best source of Aura - you're on a time limit to draw as much of it from him if you got Odin.

They're a good sidequest for maxing out your characters, but again, not for becoming powerful fast.

And Seifer's the second best source of Aura. The refinement method I indicated is both faster and earlier.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Vil I am both terrified and impressed at your in-depth gamebreaking strats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gologle posted:

Of course not, you don't get something that radical in a Final Fantasy game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYhKuzsTq4&t=25s :colbert:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's more classically/early '90s emo (think Jawbreaker or Jimmy Eat World) mixed with J-pop. Neku embodies the modern emo concept, but every other character is an outcast weirdo nerd who have to confront their own neurotic hangups. They've all abandoned conventional society because it's lame, the attitude emo was originally based on. Hanekoma is the only exception but he's hipster Metatron.

Holy poo poo was TWEWY good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

pospysyl posted:

It's more classically/early '90s emo (think Jawbreaker or Jimmy Eat World) mixed with J-pop. Neku embodies the modern emo concept, but every other character is an outcast weirdo nerd who have to confront their own neurotic hangups. They've all abandoned conventional society because it's lame, the attitude emo was originally based on. Hanekoma is the only exception but he's hipster Metatron.

Neku isn't emo, he's just standoffish and distrustful, and has every right to be that way. He gets betrayed multiple times, is apparently dead, and lost his memory.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
So I built a new computer and got a copy of FFXIV with my video card. I'm not really interested in MMORPGs, but I figured since I like Final Fantasy, I might as well give it a shot for the free month and try and finish the main story. I don't really have any interest in interacting with other people online in my RPGs, and I think I read that most (all?) of the main storyline is doable without having to group up. Is that pretty much true?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

So I built a new computer and got a copy of FFXIV with my video card. I'm not really interested in MMORPGs, but I figured since I like Final Fantasy, I might as well give it a shot for the free month and try and finish the main story. I don't really have any interest in interacting with other people online in my RPGs, and I think I read that most (all?) of the main storyline is doable without having to group up. Is that pretty much true?

If it's anything like FFXI, where large groups were pretty much required for high-level enemies and bosses, you may have to join a few raids now and then, but if you heard that it's probably true.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't know if they've changed it since I've played but I'm pretty sure there are 4-man dungeon portions you're going to need to group up for. None of them take very long though.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

The main scenario is littered with party-required instances that you have to complete to move on. You don't need to know anyone to get things done, though. The game has a feature called Duty Finder that'll match you up with others for specific instances.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm actually kind of enjoying it so far, but it's nothing I'd really want to continue paying money for. I have no idea what the good classes are, but I'm an archer just because I've always been in love with the bow and arrow as a weapon, and it seems to be working out okay.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
All classes are good/there aren't any obviously best classes. Play whatever you want.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pospysyl posted:

It really is an unbelievably good game, although to be fair, Joshua has no emotional hangups. Because he's literally Japanese bishy-Jesus.

qbert posted:

I'm replaying FF4 on iOS, and for anyone who played it on this or DS, where's the best place to gil farm? There's an achievement associated with having 500,000 gil (at one time, not cumulative), and it just seems annoying and a chore, but dammit I'm a completionist.

Also, what's the best strategy for farming the 4 hidden summons (also an achievement).

Edit: Nevermind about the gil, I just cheated and sold everything I had and then reset. Would still appreciate help on the summons though.

Besides that, if you're ever farming for tails (particularly red or blue ones), you'll inevitably wind up with a shitton of items like Wyvern Lances that sell for a pretty nice heap of cash. As for the hidden summons, there unfortunately isn't much of a trick to them, besides fighting the monsters that correspond to them and hopefully having the Treasure Hunter augment. So fight lots of Bombs, Mindflayers, Cockatrices, and Goblins, and you'll eventually get them all. I don't think I've ever gotten them all in one file, because it's just way too tedious for me to keep at it.

Mak0rz posted:

That did it, thanks!

Now time to attempt Goddess :gonk:

If you want her to be literally no challenge whatsoever, do the Setzer + Fixed Dice + Master Scroll trick with her. It bypasses Overture.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 12, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

morallyobjected posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm actually kind of enjoying it so far, but it's nothing I'd really want to continue paying money for. I have no idea what the good classes are, but I'm an archer just because I've always been in love with the bow and arrow as a weapon, and it seems to be working out okay.

The classes are pretty balanced, though you'll have shorter queues in Duty Finder if you're a tank or healer. The beauty of the game is that if you want to try another class later, you can just go to that class's guild and sign up and get to be that class.

But there's a lot of group content you'll have to do to advance the story, plus dungeons are probably the best way to level. You could always join one of the goon guilds and have some of us join you on dungeons. I'd at least give the first several dungeons a shot since group content's one of the big draws of this game (provided you don't get partied with crappy people of course).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

morallyobjected posted:

I was a bit miffed to find out story progression required doing group dungeons at first because I'm not into the whole "teamwork" or "interaction" mumbo-jumbo either, but the duty finder is as hands-off as can be, everyone has pre-set roles within the party so there's no need for communication (unless someone's doing everything wrong) and the first 4/5 I've done aren't very long (and if you select Join in Progress Party you can sometimes luck out and skip right near the boss and get a completion).

You can still have fun without joining a Free Company or having anything resembling a social life in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majorian posted:

If you want her to be literally no challenge whatsoever, do the Setzer + Fixed Dice + Master Scroll trick with her. It bypasses Overture.

I wasn't aware of that! Instead I gave someone a death-resistant relic (apparently zombie resistance doesn't work...) and just muscled through it. I also used the Debilitator and it made her weak against Holy, which was insanely helpful :allears: