Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

sliderule posted:

It's not about locking Rift users into the store, it's about locking store users to the Rift. Not all people who will buy a Rift will be savvy enough to know what's going on, and they will build a library, and then when they want to move to gen 2 hardware, they will have an awful decision to make: buy Oculus hardware or throw away your game library.

Most people fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy, so they'll be stuck with Oculus forever.

I doubt many devs will make their content HMD exclusive from here. It is not an attractive prospect, especially backing the losing side. So you have the current lineup to consider only. Pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sillybones posted:

I doubt many devs will make their content HMD exclusive from here. It is not an attractive prospect, especially backing the losing side.

They will, for the same reason people still make console exclusives: Oculus will pay cash monies for exclusivity.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

sliderule posted:

It's not about locking Rift users into the store, it's about locking store users to the Rift. Not all people who will buy a Rift will be savvy enough to know what's going on, and they will build a library, and then when they want to move to gen 2 hardware, they will have an awful decision to make: buy Oculus hardware or throw away your game library.

Most people fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy, so they'll be stuck with Oculus forever.

I see, so you're saying that most consumers aren't smart enough to make their own decisions and shouldn't be accountable for them?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

atomicpile posted:

I see, so you're saying that most consumers aren't smart enough to make their own decisions and shouldn't be accountable for them?

Hang on, you are all in favour of people being locked into one store? Consumers arent the ones that should be held accountable to their decisions, it should be the company. These are virtually identical pieces of hardware, not separate consoles. Heck, even Steam games can be converted to Origin or uPlay codes quite easily without having to buy the same game twice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm against artificially sealing off content based on a monitor headset based on brand you decided to buy. Oculus might have lovely games on it right now, but that might not always be the case. The problem is that Facebook is beyond guarantee going to make shady deals with developers to develop exclusively for their platform, because otherwise they'd make no money, and the moment they do so, they automatically screw over the developers that are made to do so. This walled garden thing is the least sensible thing and you idiots defending it can't have the slightest bit of economical sense if you don't understand how much this is a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

It's also as if they don't have faith in their own product, so I guess they don't think the better lens will automatically sell Rifts, which comes across as really sad.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

No where did I say I was in favor of locking anything down. I personally think it's a terrible move for Oculus to make. It's my decision, and anyone else who feels the same way, to choose not to buy from Oculus. Oculus doesn't have a monopoly on the market, there is another option and it's likely there will be even more options in the future. What I don't understand is all the Internet Rage. Oculus did something dumb, I won't buy from them now. End of story. Why do we need so much content devoted to bitching about it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-BdGchS0yk

Ringo was right.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

atomicpile posted:

I may be an angry old man (pretty sure I am) but I don't get all the internet hate about all the Oculus whatnot. They aren't locking you into their store, so if you don't like it just don't use it. They aren't holding you and forcing you to buy a Rift so if you don't like what the company is doing, don't buy a Rift. That should be all. I don't understand the internet outrage, everyone feels like they have to take a side.

Oculus went from a company that looked like it would go on to do cool things to a company that completely poo poo the bed.

From the eula to their own store and not including the touch controllers ( granted I did not know room VR would be this cool so they get a pass ) to the way they handle customers.

Carmack should have gone to work for HTC. :(

This pretty brutal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gfpjk/palmer_luckey_on_twitter_i_prefer_production_that/d2h9uud

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 21, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Carmack should have gone to work for HTC. :(

I hope Valve poaches him.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You know what oculus store game sucks? Eve Valkerie. it's pretty, but it's bad and boring. I didn't think a space dogfighting game in 3d could be boring but here we are. I'm not the only one either since when I did multiplayer there was literally zero people playing, it was just me and 19 bots in a "multiplayer" game. It's slightly more entertaining than elite, but only slightly.

The poor design choices are just so numerous - everything from the cockpit obscuring half your view to the control scheme layout to combat which just devolves into circling around each other, to the ridiculous rep grind and story bullshit, literally the only "neat" things about the game are the launch catapult in the beginning and the look-at missile lock on mechanic. And I thought it was supposed to get a patch to make things better? this is post patch? yikes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Something I'm curious about: Does anyone own Project Cars on Home? If so, could you check whether you can still run it in Desktop Mode without an HMD connected, or has the recent update broken that?

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I agree, tried Valkerie once and thought it was crap. Ended up flying in circles for 10 min before the game crashed. I've really been enjoying DCS world. It's a bit buggy at the moment, but with some Oculus SDK tweaks it's a lot of fun.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Strong Sauce posted:

When did you preorder the Rift?

+34 minutes I think. The site wasn't working for me so I gave up and went back to work, I tried again later and it worked which is why I was late in the queue.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I still have no idea if the Vive order page showing "In Stock" as opposed to "Pre-Order" means anything at all, but I finally caught it happening on my desktop rather than just my phone. Since payday was yesterday, I'm now around $875 lighter after tax. We'll see how long it takes to ship.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

Rectus posted:

I hope Valve poaches him.

He's CTO of the company and Oculus literally opened an office in his town in Texas to get him. Seems unlikely.

Also lollin' at everyone who outraged that a company with a long term platform strategy is defending their platform.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Tenzarin posted:

That's like the ending to Jet Li's The One.

Somebody please make a gif of Palmer Lucky fighting an infinite wave of people on top of a pyramid.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Everyone knew he was right

Hahaha, bullshit. Quite a bit of kool-aid drinking motherfuckers going to bat for Oculus.

Taiso fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 21, 2016

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Lemming posted:

Apparently Valve added a touchpad calibration wizard to the steam VR beta. Anyone here have wonky controllers and tried it yet? Mine are pretty messed up when I try to use the bottom right quadrant and I'm hoping this could help.

I can confirm that this resolved my deadzones in the bottom corners of my trackpads.

Go to SteamVR in Tools in Steam and go to settings and opt-in to beta.

Then boot everything up and turn on the controllers. Right click the controllers in the SteamVR overlay (on your computer not really in the headset although I guess you could)

Then just click calibrate and follow the instructions (which consist of a "next" button, and not touching anything)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Randomosity posted:

He's CTO of the company and Oculus literally opened an office in his town in Texas to get him. Seems unlikely.

Also lollin' at everyone who outraged that a company with a long term platform strategy is defending their platform.

I just think it's a bit of a tactical mistake at this early stage of VR. Right now, the VR gaming market is essentially 100% enthusiast nerds. Enthusiast nerds do their research and figure out things like "walled garden bad for me." They tend to realize that buying things on Oculus Home ropes them into future Oculus headsets.

If said nerds are pushed to buy a Vive instead as a result, Oculus gives up a portion of the critical ground floor of VR.

I must stress that I don't know poo poo about marketing and sales, but it seems to me that this kind of setup would have been better suited to VR Gen 2 or even Gen 3 as wide adoption begins. Making Call of Duty 36: Bedroom Warfare an Oculus exclusive would be a homerun. Valkyrie? Not so much.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Carmack is doing the bleeding edge of VR technology currently, fully contained and mobile. Miniaturized inside out tracking is, currently, one of the biggest technological hurdles with the biggest payoff in VR.

Sorry for being yet another goon who pretends to know what he thinks and wants but, for a genius coder, that sounds like a dream job at Oculus.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

nerds are so loving dramatic, jesus christ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

keyframe posted:

I am getting crazy motion sickness from games that involve moving while you stay stationary which include project cars, dcs world and hover junkers so far. It makes me sad because those looked so good and is fun to play. I hope it gets better in time as I get used to it. :smith:

Is it immediate or does it happen at a certain speed? I'd try taking a slow car in project cars and casually driving down California highway to try to get acclimated. Drive for a while and when you get sick, stop immediately. Then a day or two later, try again and try to go farther.

It's important to not try to force it. If you try to force the way through, you might just end up making your brain associate putting on your headset with getting sick. Just ask people who tried to brute force their way with the rift dk1 and then when they got the dk2 and the foam had the same smell, they got sick before they even tried anything.

Maybe one day you'll be like me where I was driving the lotus 49 in AC, hit a wall, did a bunch of spins and was just fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Darknet is a good game on the Oculus store and you should play it. He also said on Facebook that he'd give out steam keys when it comes to steam to existing customers.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That's neat. Darknet is indeed a good game.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
New ReVive version released, this one bypasses the DRM entirely (both ownership and hardware checks). The dev asks you politely not to use it to pirate games :) (probably not the best idea to link ReVive here anymore either now)

Only works in Unreal Engine games for now, apparently, Unity support coming soon.

Next stop, Denuvo, probably.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 21, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nobody saw that one coming

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks for promoting more piracy, Oculus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bhodi posted:

You know what oculus store game sucks? Eve Valkerie. it's pretty, but it's bad and boring. I didn't think a space dogfighting game in 3d could be boring but here we are. I'm not the only one either since when I did multiplayer there was literally zero people playing, it was just me and 19 bots in a "multiplayer" game. It's slightly more entertaining than elite, but only slightly.

The poor design choices are just so numerous - everything from the cockpit obscuring half your view to the control scheme layout to combat which just devolves into circling around each other, to the ridiculous rep grind and story bullshit, literally the only "neat" things about the game are the launch catapult in the beginning and the look-at missile lock on mechanic. And I thought it was supposed to get a patch to make things better? this is post patch? yikes.

Well thanks, now I feel less bad about not being able to play it. Guess I'll just play more Elite instead...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/726852702106431488

I guess these are the lovely headsets Palmer was talking about.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Looks like the end of the world has been delayed for at least a little bit.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cojawfee posted:

Is it immediate or does it happen at a certain speed? I'd try taking a slow car in project cars and casually driving down California highway to try to get acclimated. Drive for a while and when you get sick, stop immediately. Then a day or two later, try again and try to go farther.

It's important to not try to force it. If you try to force the way through, you might just end up making your brain associate putting on your headset with getting sick. Just ask people who tried to brute force their way with the rift dk1 and then when they got the dk2 and the foam had the same smell, they got sick before they even tried anything.

Maybe one day you'll be like me where I was driving the lotus 49 in AC, hit a wall, did a bunch of spins and was just fine.

Yea in slower speeds (like 5-10 mph) I am fine. I am doing what you suggested, gonna slowly increase speed and only play like 10-15 minute increments until I get used to it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Oculus user isnt sitting down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Randomosity posted:

It's not a platform, doofus.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mordaedil posted:

It's not a platform, doofus.

If they say it enough times though and wish really hard maybe it will turn into one! Worked for Apple right?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Tried the Vive demo at the MS store yesterday. It's pretty cool. I wish I could swim around the underwater world instead of just walk in a small box. But the paint one was amazing. I was so happy just painting stars and walking around my own little part of fake space. I went ahead and "reserved" one for no money down and no obligation (expected delivery mid June) which felt safer than pre-ordering directly from HTC.

The demos gave me flashbacks to the Wii when it first came out. VR is fun. Hopefully it gets more support than the Wii did.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else experienced problems with the in-HMD SteamVR overlay UI not working? I'm incredibly frustrated (having tried the usual uninstall/reinstall on SteamVR) with it at this point, trying to actually select things just doesn't work about 49 times out of 50. The UI elements bounce around in ways that are illogical, and pointing the controller at an "Ok" button and trying to select it means i'm sitting there clicking the trigger for a minute or two before it finally works for reasons I cannot discern.

Just to clarify this isn't a tracking issue, it's some sort of problem with the overlay.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Has anyone else experienced problems with the in-HMD SteamVR overlay UI not working? I'm incredibly frustrated (having tried the usual uninstall/reinstall on SteamVR) with it at this point, trying to actually select things just doesn't work about 49 times out of 50. The UI elements bounce around in ways that are illogical, and pointing the controller at an "Ok" button and trying to select it means i'm sitting there clicking the trigger for a minute or two before it finally works for reasons I cannot discern.

Just to clarify this isn't a tracking issue, it's some sort of problem with the overlay.

Do you have any joystick or controller plugged in? The overlay controls turn into poo poo if I have my warthog connected.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rectus posted:

Do you have any joystick or controller plugged in? The overlay controls turn into poo poo if I have my warthog connected.

Yes, but this only started happening recently, and the Stream controller / throttle / joystick have been plugged in the whole time.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Yes, but this only started happening recently, and the Stream controller / throttle / joystick have been plugged in the whole time.

I think the issue has something to do with Steam detecting the joystick as a gamepad. Moving the throttle to the middle position might help with it not triggering buttons.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is what i'm talking about - Note how the tracking is fine (except for a couple of drops due to how i'm trying to capture this video) but it just.........won't select things. Also note the mouse cursor that keeps popping up for Reasons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVITvpmhvc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That looks like something is trying to take control of input.

• Locked thread