Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Did they ever decide what Baba Yaga actually was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yes, she was a Nosferatu. It's quite well established.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Notably apparently the Nictuku that killed her was named Vasilia so the question is whether she had that name beforehand and was just nicely mythically resonant, or if she took it -after- because, you know, she killed Baba Yaga.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 16, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Yes, she was a Nosferatu. It's quite well established.

Even had a childe that showed up in Transylvania by Night, Gutka the Good.*

*Narrator's voice: She was not.

I remember her getting eaten now, at the end of an pre-written Vampire adventure where the PCs got to stand around and watch. I mean, crap, I'd at least give that to some Garou'd been breaking their necks and killing dragons and whatever else in Russia to bring her down.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I think you've forgotten that the Garou are poo poo and will never accomplish anything of worth or even aesthetic value.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The most effective modern Garou are, of course, the Bone Gnawers and their kinfolk. Not even a joke - when you track the events they're responsible for, Bone Gnawers get plenty of kills in on the bane enemies and they do it while not trying to rule everyone in power games, feeding the urban poor and trying to protect them from predation, and sponsoring/producing as kinfolk a number of major environmental reformers. It's the full trifecta: Kill the enemy, keep the enemy from growing stronger (desperation and hunger creates banes and fomori like nothing else), and bring humanity back to the right way of thinking.

Bone Gnawers: The One Good Tribe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Bone Gnawers have basically figured out that evolving into dogs was a legitimate survival strategy for wolves and was also a much better way to influence humans, anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Bone Gnawers are too weak and pathetic to bother paying attention to, which is why being killed by them comes as an hilarious surprise to basically everybody. And while the other tribes generally have standards and bloodlines and feuds and so on, if you're good enough for Gaia, you're good enough for the Bone Gnawers, the Only Good Tribe.

e: And not just the urban poor, the BGs have plenty of rural kinfolk living in places where industry has withdrawn and farming jobs have been mostly swallowed up by automation. As things get worse, they only become more important and more influential.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, the Baba Yaga storyline is pretty fuckin' horrid, really. But then, Absimilliard is a massive dickhead, so who could be surprised there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not too up on my Werewolf (Apocalypse or Forsaken) lore. Aren't the Glass Walkers a "good" tribe as well? Or are they tainted by too much proximity to the Weaver?

Also just in time for Halloween there is a really good Wraith CYOA here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866856&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Come vote for our Fetters!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The point being every Werewolf Tribe is corrupted, just in it's own way. There isn't a single Tribe who isn't failing their role for Gaia in some capacity.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm not too up on my Werewolf (Apocalypse or Forsaken) lore. Aren't the Glass Walkers a "good" tribe as well? Or are they tainted by too much proximity to the Weaver?

Yeah, they're the "punky modernists that everyone else is a little leery of because oWoD is streaked with maybe-not-so-ironic conservatism."

In the Wild West they were the Iron Riders, because trains, and before that the Warders of Men (focused on just sort of "managing" humanity), which makes more sense than either of their subsequent names/themes but still is kind of pretty dumb.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The Glass Walkers also had major business ties to Pentex for decades and are unironic believers in free market capitalism as a solution to environmental problems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

The Glass Walkers also had major business ties to Pentex for decades and are unironic believers in free market capitalism as a solution to environmental problems.
I don't think the Pentex thing is right, I think you're thinking of the Technocratic Syndicate. The latter part fair enough although I'm not sure if that was ever explicit for them.

The wyld/weaver/wyrm thing did have its limits, though now I wonder if there were ever dudes on the internet arguing that Actually, The Weaver is Good, because while losing Wyld contact is bad, it can be bad in too large of a dose, and the Wyrm is always bad so therefore :words:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

That Old Tree posted:

In the Wild West they were the Iron Riders, because trains, and before that the Warders of Men (focused on just sort of "managing" humanity), which makes more sense than either of their subsequent names/themes but still is kind of pretty dumb.

What they did with their tribal scratch-logo was pretty cute. It's like a ladder shape, and every time they changed tribal moniker it added another rung, so it went from a hut to a rail track to a skyscraper.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

I don't think the Pentex thing is right, I think you're thinking of the Technocratic Syndicate. The latter part fair enough although I'm not sure if that was ever explicit for them.

The wyld/weaver/wyrm thing did have its limits, though now I wonder if there were ever dudes on the internet arguing that Actually, The Weaver is Good, because while losing Wyld contact is bad, it can be bad in too large of a dose, and the Wyrm is always bad so therefore :words:

No, they really did have business ties to Pentex. Rage Across Australia, page 73. It was exposed by the Children of Gaia in the late 1950s.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm bad at wolflore so I wanna correct a thing: Did Forsaken wolves do the thing where they tried to openly rule over humanity, or was that something that only happened in Apocalypse?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Crasical posted:

I'm bad at wolflore so I wanna correct a thing: Did Forsaken wolves do the thing where they tried to openly rule over humanity, or was that something that only happened in Apocalypse?

Only in Apocalypse. Forsaken Wolves' lost glorious civilisation was when their home dimension still existed and they could go live in it apart from humanity.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Soonmot posted:

Edit: and of course I'm rolling with whatever off the wall poo poo they cook up, that's why I didn't include dirty tricks. Our irakka has the gift that lets you possess animals and I can just imagine what she'll do with that.

Ah, so this is how Sanders got that bird to land on his podium.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Only in Apocalypse. Forsaken Wolves' lost glorious civilisation was when their home dimension still existed and they could go live in it apart from humanity.

Also before Dad got sick, had to be put down like Old Yeller and they had to do his dang job forever.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I've forgotten huge chunks of oWoD lore, so forgive a simple question but: what was the Wyrm before it went nuts again? Was it just a "good" destruction element, something representing natural mortality / entropy, or did it have a whole different aspect?

And on a similar note: what was behind the Wyrm going crazy? I remember the Weaver tried to trap it and that's what caused it to go evil, but why did that happen in the first place? Just the Weaver overstepping it's bounds? Some kind of "well if nothing dies everything will be perfect and static forever" justification?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

As I recall, respectively: the "Balance Wyrm" was, as you say, a natural force of mortality and entropy, things ending as part of the natural cycle of life so that there would be room for new things to take their place; and pretty much, the Weaver overstepped its bounds because it liked its things where they were and didn't want to lose them to the natural cycle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Triat in their original form were basically a Middle Class White Kid understanding of the Creator->Preserver->Destroyer cycle of the Hinduisms slammed head first into a Captain Planet cartoon.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Triat in their original form were basically a Middle Class White Kid understanding of the Creator->Preserver->Destroyer cycle of the Hinduisms slammed head first into a Captain Planet cartoon.

Yeah, this is how I came to my reasonably close correct guess. My line of thinking was "what the hell was the Wyrm before it went all evil? Hmm, they probably just cribbed off of Hinduism." I also like your description of that understanding as "Middle Class White Kid" because a) I distinctly remember learning it in eight grade in my Middle Class (slightly less than the stereotype but still largely) White school and b) I still don't know much more about Hinduism than that. It's like a very serious gap in my Important World Religions knowledge, and I learn about that poo poo in my spare time for fun.

Anyway, thanks guys!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

No, they really did have business ties to Pentex. Rage Across Australia, page 73. It was exposed by the Children of Gaia in the late 1950s.

Aha, see, that's the problem. because Rage Across Australia is incredibly bad and inconsistent with the rest of the White Wolf books as a whole. One of the first things I point to is that the sample black spiral pack included in the book has two fertile metis.

I could go on but that's really all you need to know.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I've forgotten huge chunks of oWoD lore, so forgive a simple question but: what was the Wyrm before it went nuts again? Was it just a "good" destruction element, something representing natural mortality / entropy, or did it have a whole different aspect?

And on a similar note: what was behind the Wyrm going crazy? I remember the Weaver tried to trap it and that's what caused it to go evil, but why did that happen in the first place? Just the Weaver overstepping it's bounds? Some kind of "well if nothing dies everything will be perfect and static forever" justification?

The triat as it was supposed to work, was that the Wyld took stuff and turned it into things, the Weaver took things and gave them proper form and purpose, and the Wyrm took things that had lived too long or no longer served their purpose and turned it back into stuff.

The Weaver got annoyed that the Wyrm was destroying all it's things so it decided to wrap the Wyrm up in webs so that things never had to be destroyed. But the Wyrm got really really annoyed at this and corrupted the webs, which also drove the Weaver insane so it decided to start walling off the Wyld as well (which,if it were successfull, would mean that it no longer had Things either).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh I know. I've spent plenty of time ranting about it myself before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Aha, see, that's the problem. because Rage Across Australia is incredibly bad and inconsistent with the rest of the White Wolf books as a whole. One of the first things I point to is that the sample black spiral pack included in the book has two fertile metis.

I could go on but that's really all you need to know.

I almost want to read it for the cringe factor, but at the same time like a lot of books from that era it seems to leap headlong over the line from 'amusingly dopey' to 'bottomlessly awful.'

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Oh I know. I've spent plenty of time ranting about it myself before.

I also love the bit where the group of cubs fresh off their first change ascend to the Jindabyne Council to fill open spots since the rest of them are so incredibly incompetent.

I mean the Shadow Lord Leader's idea of 'stealth and subterfuge' is airdropping a squad of mercenaries into the middle of the cairn to kill the other members of the council.

Dawgstar posted:

I almost want to read it for the cringe factor, but at the same time like a lot of books from that era it seems to leap headlong over the line from 'amusingly dopey' to 'bottomlessly awful.'
I read it for you.
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/rage-across-australia/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

It has a cannibal Italian pasta grandma, all the aboriginal werewolves are dead (and now enraged angry ghosts) and it features at least one monument described that doesn't actually exist.

Oh, and it had the Werewolf Genome Project and its accompanying CYBERWOLVES

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also it posits that the reason why the Garou killed all the bunyip is that they were jealous of their absolutely massive dicks(due to them being both black and marsupials, apparently. Nevermind that marsupial penises are incredibly hosed up things). And places that revelation opposite this piece of art.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, they're the "punky modernists that everyone else is a little leery of because oWoD is streaked with maybe-not-so-ironic conservatism."

You forgot the Tetrasomians.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

You forgot the Tetrasomians.

Everyone forgets them because they were never actually playable in any product.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurieg posted:

Everyone forgets them because they were never actually playable in any product.

Technicality. Are we nerds or simply players!?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

MonsieurChoc posted:

Technicality. Are we nerds or simply players!?

Dancers.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm so bored with refining Werewolf stuff. The only upshot is it's the final major one. There's also the spirits file and the final passes but those are much smaller issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Also it posits that the reason why the Garou killed all the bunyip is that they were jealous of their absolutely massive dicks(due to them being both black and marsupials, apparently. Nevermind that marsupial penises are incredibly hosed up things). And places that revelation opposite this piece of art.

On a lighter note, reading the F&F it reminds one it's best to keep all Garou population statistics in the hands of the ST because there's 'a dying race' and then there's 'all the Wyrm has to do is sneeze and take over the place.'

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

On a lighter note, reading the F&F it reminds one it's best to keep all Garou population statistics in the hands of the ST because there's 'a dying race' and then there's 'all the Wyrm has to do is sneeze and take over the place.'

I feel like after many of Loomers posts about populations (bless you, you mad man) it's best to just shrug and say "Yeah, this is how many of X is here" as a ST than try to run with WW numbers because it's a lot less complicated.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For comparison, the nWolf take on Australia is largely that it is one of the chiller places to be a werewolf because there's a whole lot of big spirits that are really angry and so you can always go out and fight one.

Unless you go near Alice Springs, which is a hellhole and has crazy Fire-Touched.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

joylessdivision posted:

I feel like after many of Loomers posts about populations (bless you, you mad man) it's best to just shrug and say "Yeah, this is how many of X is here" as a ST than try to run with WW numbers because it's a lot less complicated.

It's a lesson even WW learned by about, uh, around 1997-8, when they stopped going 'there are exactly 20 black furies in this town, and 7 bone gnawers there, and...' and just went 'yeah there's like, 200 or some poo poo, who knows. Here are the interesting ones, make the rest up, change it however you need'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

It's a lesson even WW learned by about, uh, around 1997-8, when they stopped going 'there are exactly 20 black furies in this town, and 7 bone gnawers there, and...' and just went 'yeah there's like, 200 or some poo poo, who knows. Here are the interesting ones, make the rest up, change it however you need'.

Admittedly my eyes glazed over trying to process most of the posts about populations because Holy poo poo is it a lot of numbers that don't mean much to me, but I loved the apocalypse scenario posts you did.

If you're gonna throw numbers at me, give me some cool bullshit to go with it, like the ill conceived Time of Judgement stuff. That was legit some of the most entertaining stuff I read in this thread (besides the train wreck saga of Beast).

Your madness has given me plenty to read Loomer and I appreciate it.