Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Of course. Which is the same reason Russia can't have a war with NATO, so everyone should proceed accordingly - which means not folding to threats from an invasion happy power.

I like how Russia exerting pressure is just political realism, but Europe countering said pressure with an equal counter-pressure is radicalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Mattress posted:

Russia may not like that, but it's their decision to make.

and the entirely predictable consequences of that decision?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

and the entirely predictable consequences of that decision?

Their tinpot dictators will stomp their feet impotently.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You tell us. Nuclear war? Invasion of a NATO backed country?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You remember that old von Bethmann-Hollweg quote? "If the iron dice roll, may God help us."

What do you think it means? What do you think it will mean? You know, when the dice you're rolling are made of plutonium

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'd take nuclear annihiliation over your rambling.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
evidently so

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I think that's really dumb. The entirety of the Cold War is littered with various proxy conflicts between two roughly equal (military-wise, at least) nuclear powers. If all-out war didn't break out then, there is no reason to believe it will now, when Russia is in a significantly worse position.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
you know, i'm starting to think it might not be the best idea for finland to join NATO. it's starting to look like to me the main use of the thing going forward, is going to be starting a war with Russia.

and uhh, good luck with that

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Good on you for telling us, the people who run NATO.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
NATO, the alliance famous for its many invasions of Russia

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You are acting as if Russia is some force of nature with no agency, and has to respond to its neighbors choosing to align with a hostile block with invasion. That's why you constantly write about NATO starting a war, even though you are plainly stating that you worry about war starting as a result of Russia invading a Western backed neighbor. Yet, for some reason, you grant NATO (or the US) plenty of agency, speaking of it as an inciting actor. I wonder why that could be?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm the Finland that has no ties to NATO.

On a different note, Finland participates in nearly all sub-areas of the Partnership for Peace programme, and has provided peacekeeping forces to both the Afghanistan and Kosovo missions. In September 2014, Finland signed an agreement with NATO that allows NATO and Finland to hold joint exercises on Finnish soil and permits assistance from NATO members in situations such as "disasters, disruptions, and threats to security."[16] As such, Finland (and Sweden) participated in the 2015 NATO-led Arctic Challenge Exercise.[17]

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I for one eagerly want to see you guys open up new topics of argument with this dude, who completely argues in good faith and does not melt down when people prove him wrong.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

I'm the Finland that has no ties to NATO.

On a different note, Finland participates in nearly all sub-areas of the Partnership for Peace programme, and has provided peacekeeping forces to both the Afghanistan and Kosovo missions. In September 2014, Finland signed an agreement with NATO that allows NATO and Finland to hold joint exercises on Finnish soil and permits assistance from NATO members in situations such as "disasters, disruptions, and threats to security."[16] As such, Finland (and Sweden) participated in the 2015 NATO-led Arctic Challenge Exercise.[17]

i see

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fabulous Knight posted:

I for one eagerly want to see you guys open up new topics of argument with this dude, who completely argues in good faith and does not melt down when people prove him wrong.

well I think your eagerness for nuclear war is ever so slightly bizarre, but other than that I don't think I've lost much faith?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Seems like Russia has no choice but to burn the bog to the ground, I would say sorry, but you brought it upon yourselves.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Seems like Russia has no choice but to burn the bog to the ground, I would say sorry, but you brought it upon yourselves.

where you from incidentally?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Czech Republic.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You are acting as if Russia is some force of nature with no agency, and has to respond to its neighbors choosing to align with a hostile block with invasion. That's why you constantly write about NATO starting a war, even though you are plainly stating that you worry about war starting as a result of Russia invading a Western backed neighbor. Yet, for some reason, you grant NATO (or the US) plenty of agency, speaking of it as an inciting actor. I wonder why that could be?

dunno, but i'm eager to find out!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Czech Republic.

notice how i'm provocatively not wishing death on both you and all your people

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I don't know. That's why I asked. I assume its because of some weird double standard, but maybe you should try to explain your point of view in more detail, especially when it comes to absolving Russia of all responsibility and treating Western countries as the only agents in a purely mechanical system. Or you could just keep posting the same thing over and over in increasingly tired and dismissive one liners. That's fine too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

notice how i'm provocatively not wishing death on both you and all your people

But you are, bud.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Tying Western Europe together, especially at the same time the Bretton Woods system to place was pretty obviously a way to counter Comecon. It doesn't have to actually say this in the text of the treaty to do so (also most treaties don't actually state their literal geopolitical purpose). Integrating Western Europe while most of it was already especially was tied to the US dollar made sense.

You are basically begging the question here by assuming that just because there might have been a need to counter the Soviet Union at the time that the EEC was founded, the EEC was obviously founded to counter the USSR. But that both gets the timeline wrong and ignores all the issues European leaders were also dealing with: post-war reconstruction, violent decolonisation, the need to provide their citizens with a return to prosperity, and perhaps most importantly, the need to reintegrate a state that had recently committed massive and terrible crimes into the European community and permanently prevent it from becoming a menace again. As well as of course wanting to be reelected and not simply ceding their newly regained sovereignty to foreign rule.

By the time the EEC was created though, most of these issues had begun to be settled in some way, it was clear that there would be no European defense or political union, but defense would be taken care of through NATO instead. That left economic integration, which each of the member states had an interest in for their own reasons, sometimes economic and sometimes political, quite apart from Cold War politics. You say that 'integrating Western Europe' made sense', but that didn't make it at all obvious that it would happen or make clear how it would be done.

Moreover, it ignores the actors: to whom did it make sense? And here we know that the USA was not at the table in Messina where the Treaty of Rome was negotiated; the Benelux, West Germany, France and Italy were (Britain merely sent an undersecretary). And they created a Treaty which very much limited the scope of the EEC's activities and the instruments it had to take action to basically the Common Market and a common agricultural policy, as well as nuclear energy cooperation in Euratom. That is not an organization created for economic expansion or economic defense against encroaching communism; it's an organization created for cooperation and integration, an organization of which the practical ambitions never quite reached the lofty heights of its rhetoric. The EEC created a market, and a market is not an actor but a place where or through which people act. The whole union thing only came afterwards, but that was only when the USSR had already collapsed.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

lollontee posted:

You remember that old von Bethmann-Hollweg quote? "If the iron dice roll, may God help us."

What do you think it means? What do you think it will mean? You know, when the dice you're rolling are made of plutonium
Where is this idea that Russia can't wait to fling nukes at NATO (aligned) countries coming from? You're very ready to assume they're at all interested in escalating to this point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't know. That's why I asked. I assume its because of some weird double standard, but maybe you should try to explain your point of view in more detail, especially when it comes to absolving Russia of all responsibility and treating Western countries as the only agents in a purely mechanical system. Or you could just keep posting the same thing over and over in increasingly tired and dismissive one liners. That's fine too.

You do seem to have very specific beliefs about my opinions, however. You see, I'm hoping to get an answer one of these days by repeatedly posting the same argument over and over again. I betting that if I repeat the same thing over and over again, you'll eventually run out of things you believe to me my opinions, and will have to respond to the posts I make.

Oh and to repeat once again: If you provoke a war with Russia, Russia will use nukes. What counts as a provocation for the Russians is of course, their prerogative. Holding your conception of national sovereignty in high value, does not unfortunately relieve you of having to take Russian opinions into account, especially when deciding whether or not to station American tanks and ABM systems on your shared border. Good night.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

What counts as a provocation for the Russians is of course, their prerogative.
Your post has provoked Mother Russia, the bombs will fall in 10 9 8 7

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A unilateral model in which one party gets to decide on all norms with no feedback is as illegitimate as it is naive. You are treating Russia as some sort of international autist who can't be trusted to behave in line with rational expectations, so it is better to just stay clear off them.

And you expect people will NOT want to prepare defenses against such an unpredictable, fickle antagonist?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hambilderberglar posted:

Where is this idea that Russia can't wait to fling nukes at NATO (aligned) countries coming from? You're very ready to assume they're at all interested in escalating to this point.

Because NATO countries, with american involvement, have historically come insanely close to starting a nuclear war with Russia on numerous and well-documented occasions for a variety of reasons. Most importantly during the Cuban crisis, where American marines were about one executive council vote away from being repelled in their assault on Cuba with tactical nuclear missiles. For example, as a place where the thing you're referring to (called fear of nuclear war), comes from.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lollontee posted:

YOU CANNOT HAVE A WAR WITH RUSSIA. THEY HAVE NUCLEAR WEAPONS. IT WILL END BADLY FOR THE HUMAN SPECIES. PLEASE GET THIS BASIC PRINCIPLE OF 20TH CENTURY GEOPOLITICS INTO YOUR STUPIDLY THICK SKULLS.

please, for everyone's sake. i'm begging you

It's safe to qualify any kind of policy that does not actively try to avoid war between NATO and Russia as the number one priority as "criminally insane"

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
From the "very smart people being very dumb" department:

Dutch scholar of far right movements Cas Mudde has an editorial in The Guardian today calling for the Hungarian liberal opposition parties to collaborate with the antisemitic, neo-Nazi Jobbik party in order to prevent the currently governing right-wing Fidesz government of Prime Minister Viktor Orbán from completely turning Hungary into an illiberal state. He argues that the only way to prevent the complete loss of Hungary to authoritarianism is for a democratic-fascist alliance. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/hungary-liberal-democracy-tactical-alliance-far-right

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

lollontee posted:

Oh and to repeat once again: If you provoke a war with Russia, Russia will use nukes.

No it won't. Why do you believe that it would? What could possibly cause you to think this?

lollontee posted:

What counts as a provocation for the Russians is of course, their prerogative. Holding your conception of national sovereignty in high value, does not unfortunately relieve you of having to take Russian opinions into account, especially when deciding whether or not to station American tanks and ABM systems on your shared border. Good night.

Holding its own "national interests" in high value does not unfortunately relieve Russia of taking its neighbors opinions into account.

Why should others take Russian opinion into account, but Russia can just go around doing whatever it wants, including invasions? I don't think that's right, in either moral or realpolitik terms. Russia is in a weaker position than NATO. It doesn't get to dictate the foreign policy of other nations that choose to align with NATO or the EU due to various incentives, and if it does, according to your own logic, NATO would be "obligated" to respond.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as the far right continues to go to from strength to strength at the expense of centrists, especially the centre-left, in the Netherlands, I don't see any reason to trust a Dutch scholar of the far right's opinion tbh

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Russia is in a weaker position than NATO. It doesn't get to dictate the foreign policy of other nations that choose to align with NATO

Ahhh! There we go. So you really do have a skull that thick. Welp, can't help ya sry!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Maybe you could try actually stating what you mean plainly, instead of leaving a trail of obnoxious one-liners and generally acting like a prick.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maybe you could try actually stating what you mean plainly, instead of leaving a trail of obnoxious one-liners and generally acting like a prick.

lmao sure buddy

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Or not.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

lollontee posted:

Because NATO countries, with american involvement, have historically come insanely close to starting a nuclear war with Russia on numerous and well-documented occasions for a variety of reasons. Most importantly during the Cuban crisis, where American marines were about one executive council vote away from being repelled by tactical nuclear missiles. For example as a place where the thing you're referring to (called fear of nuclear war), comes from.
Even if I take all of that at face value you've told me something about how ready you interpret American strategy to be to drop nukes on things. None of this tells me how willing the Russians are to do so. Unless you're projecting America's readiness onto Russia?
If you want to treat Ukraine as being analogous to Cuba and invoking the fact that America was a vote away from chucking some bombs, the fact is that Russia to my knowledge has not threatened to nuke anybody over Ukraine doing anything there.
Nor Georgia or the Baltic countries, or... anybody else really, not even when the Black Sea was suddenly crowding with NATO vessels during the Georgian war.

Russian leadership doesn't consist of unsophisticated troglodytes that are chomping at the bit to use the nuclear veto any time their policy goals are in danger of being thwarted. There are costs associated with doing this and invoking it for every setback you're worried they'll blame NATO, the EU or Finland for is a complete nonstarter for them.
Escalating to this point is expensive and the Russian leadership is nothing if not price conscious because they don't have 4% of the world's largest economy to throw into a defense industry black hole and even if they did, they'd probably just pay off the political classes the way the :airquote: civilized :airquote: people do it under capitalism.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hambilderberglar posted:

Even if I take all of that at face value you've told me something about how ready you interpret American strategy to be to drop nukes on things. None of this tells me how willing the Russians are to do so. Unless you're projecting America's readiness onto Russia?

Nuclear brinksmanship is a thing that exists, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

lollontee posted:

Nuclear brinksmanship is a thing that exists, yes.
This is a yes or no question buddy.