Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

every posted:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find where; for that, I apologize.

I just upgraded to an SSD (worth it) which is running a fresh install of Lion (and iTunes). I'm using my old HDD as a slave, and using it to house my iTunes library (and other stuff).

My question is: how do I import all my iTunes meta-data (song ratings, album art, etc.) into my new iTunes installation?

Thanks for any help!

Look for your library.xml file, proabably in your user's Music folder, and import from that. Or just outright replace the new one with the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Chris Knight posted:

Get an external tag editor and make sure none of your files have ID3 1.x tags. Having both fucks things up in a big way.

This worked. Thank you so much!

I used "Tag&Rename" to do this. It has a feature to copy the data from ID3v1 and sure enough, when I clicked that it put everything in lowercase. I guess iPhone was using or referencing the ID3v1 tag instead of ID3v2?

Anyway, "Tag&Rename" has an option to erase all the ID3v1 data when editing ID3v2 tags... which I will do from now one since Tag&Rename is faster, more feature packed, and not screwy. ;)

every
Apr 24, 2008

IUG posted:

Look for your library.xml file, proabably in your user's Music folder, and import from that. Or just outright replace the new one with the old one.

The key was replacing my itunes library.itl and itunes music library.xml files. Thank you! My artwork and ratings are back!

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

chimz posted:

'Display Duplicates' shows both copies of a file. i.e. if you have two songs both named 'Money' (and with the same other info), it'll show both right next to each other in Display Duplicates.

Sometimes you'll get dupe files if you imported a playlist file (m3u) along with an mp3.

Make sure to use iTunes to move your music files over so it doesn't get confused about where your tracks are, and set the music library location appropriately: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

When I deleted duplicates of the music I already had on my laptop's HD, it didn't show every copy, just the extras... I triple checked before I selected all and deleted them. So should I just manually delete every double and triple and then just drag them into the folder (iTunes media folder...?) with the rest of my itunes music on the external? I though I'd have to set them up the same way I set up the first batch of music.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It shows you both copies. So that you can see which one you want to keep and which one to get rid of. I did this last night and found I had two copies of the same Company of Thieves songs, and I chose to get rid of the 128kbps AAC version, as I had a higher bitrate mp3 version of it.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Recent issue I just encountered, wonder if anyone else has seen this happen.

I just recently added a few albums to iTunes, same way I always do. Drag and drop into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, go into iTunes and then edit the tags and add album art. Upon listening to some of these albums, the last twenty-thirty seconds of some songs are chopped off, either replaced with another twenty-thirty seconds from earlier in the song or completely cut off.

Through several tests of re-adding the albums and then listening before each and every step, I have identified the issue as when I added album art, the files became corrupted. I added the same .jpg from the same site and that's when the files became corrupt. I then went to Amazon, used their .jpg and the files are file.

Has anyone else recently had album art corrupt their MP3s?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I've had this issue with iTunes for over a year now and I don't know how to fix it.

I rented a movie, watched it and deleted it, then it reappeared in my download queue 3 months later. I can't rewatch it, because the rental period expired but if I delete it, it just reappears in my queue and there's nothing I can do about it.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I have no idea if it's my computer's drivers or whether there's something wrong with the install on my computer or if my 5th gen ipod nano is just straight up broken. 90% of the time when I try to plug it in to the computer it either doesn't recognize the device or if it does, causes iTunes to bog the computer down to unusable levels and refuses to quit even when I try to end the process or reboot the computer. I just have to do a hard reset.

It started when I did an update for iTunes but I have no idea if it's just a bad coincidence. I've tried also reinstalling a few different versions of iTunes. I've also tried using the ipod with a few other computers and it's seemed to work without trouble.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is only a minor issue, but it's bugging me: in Windows 7 I have my taskbar on auto-hide on the left side of the screen. When iTunes is maximized, I can no longer bring up the taskbar by moving my mouse to the left side of the screen; I have to either use the Windows key or make a different window active first. Then it pops up just fine.

I kinda doubt anyone has an answer to this, but I was just curious.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

step aside posted:

I have no idea if it's my computer's drivers or whether there's something wrong with the install on my computer or if my 5th gen ipod nano is just straight up broken. 90% of the time when I try to plug it in to the computer it either doesn't recognize the device or if it does, causes iTunes to bog the computer down to unusable levels and refuses to quit even when I try to end the process or reboot the computer. I just have to do a hard reset.

It started when I did an update for iTunes but I have no idea if it's just a bad coincidence. I've tried also reinstalling a few different versions of iTunes. I've also tried using the ipod with a few other computers and it's seemed to work without trouble.

I just had to do something like this for my CEO's wife. Her iPhone wasn't recognized by her computer anymore, and I had installed iTunes myself on that OS about a week before that. I had to go into the Device Manager, find the phone, and then tell it to delete the driver, then add it again. You could try that, otherwise Apple has a bunch of other suggestions for when that happens in Windows. That was the first thing I checked, and got lucky I guess.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Whats the consensus on the best software to use to pull music from an iDevice that no longer has an itunes library? My daughters laptop drive failed, and I want to get the music off of her ipod.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Which OS do you want the program for, which OS was the iPod connected to?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I noticed something a bit disappointing about iTunes Match. I was wondering if anyone doing the beta of it could shed some light on this.

In the iTunes store right now, you can click on a link to learn about 'iTunes Match'. This link originally showed up in mid-October if I remember. Well, when you clicked on the link, this portion was included:

Notice how it says 'download' and 'play'.

Well I noticed around a week ago that the iTunes Match link on the iTMS disappeared. Just today I noticed it was back. I clicked on the link, and that passage has changed:

It removed the mention of 'download'.

Now I think this is curious, considering how the official launch of iTunes Match has missed its date. I'm wondering if they're planning on not letting you download the 'matched files' as a result of the idea that iTunes Match is essentially letting users launder pirated music. I'm thinking the labels eventually balked at that idea, and are trying to get Apple to make it so you can only stream the matched files, making it so the user can't just pay $25 a year to get permanent legitimate copies of pirated music. By keeping it to streaming alone, you have to keep paying that $25 a year to access the matched copies.

e: To the below post, isn't it kind of weird that they'd take out the word 'download' then? The words play and listen make it sound like it's just streaming. I mean I obviously don't know either way, just thought the word change was interesting.

trash person fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 13, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
AFAIK, it's download-only now. You can't stream a song.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Use of iTunes to organize movies really needs some kind of way to group grid-view movies by series (without setting all the Sort Name fields in order).

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good Mac OS X program for finding covers? iTunes store doesn't have some of my albums and I like having covers

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

IUG posted:

Which OS do you want the program for, which OS was the iPod connected to?
Sorry, Win7 on both counts.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
So I upgraded to an SSD this weekend, and started over with a fresh install of Windows. I installed Itunes to the SSD (C:), and dragged all my music onto my old hard drive (D:, used to be C:). I restored my library from a backup which was successful. However, when I try to play any music, it says that the file is not found and asks me to locate it. Is there a way to quick-fix this without losing all my plays/ratings?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kinfolk Jones posted:

So I upgraded to an SSD this weekend, and started over with a fresh install of Windows. I installed Itunes to the SSD (C:), and dragged all my music onto my old hard drive (D:, used to be C:). I restored my library from a backup which was successful. However, when I try to play any music, it says that the file is not found and asks me to locate it. Is there a way to quick-fix this without losing all my plays/ratings?

The iTunes Music Library.xml should be text; you might be able to do a search and replace to change the old path to the new one. Not sure how it plays into the other iTunes files though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fordan posted:

The iTunes Music Library.xml should be text; you might be able to do a search and replace to change the old path to the new one. Not sure how it plays into the other iTunes files though.

I'm pretty sure that Apple uses some kind of checksum that doesn't let this work. I tried it once to try to adjust a playcount, and it didn't take for some reason.

That said, just open iTunes, go into the Preferences, and point the library to the new folder. It should take care of itself after that.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Kinfolk Jones posted:

iTunes keeps track of your files via absolute filenames. So if your mp3s were in the My Music directory of User X on drive C, it will only look in C:\Users\User X\My Music (or whatever the corresponding directory path is for the OS you're using). It sounds like your music has been moved to drive D now, so iTunes has no idea where it is.

One option is to move your music back to the "original" location (i.e. the same file path on your new C drive as they were previously in on your old C drive). Once iTunes has found the files, you can then utilize the "Let iTunes organize my library" option and tell it you want your library on the D drive.

A second option, relating to what fordan posted:

fordan posted:

The .xml file is actually the "backup" - iTunes writes to it, but won't read from it except in emergencies. The .itl file is the actual library file used. I believe you can force iTunes to recreate a new .itl file from the .xml file by removing the .itl file and then opening iTunes.

So building off what fordan said, you could do a batch Find&Replace to change all instances of "C:\Users\User X\My Music\" (again, or whatever your actual old file path was) in the .xml file to whatever you want your new path to be on the D drive. Then remove the .itl file (don't delete - save it in another folder somewhere in case things go badly) and open iTunes with just the .xml file in the directory so it will rebuild the library from your modified info.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to have iTunes automatically import new files every day from a specific folder and/or sync them to my iPhone?

I'm trying to setup a system to automatically sync new TV shows to my iPhone...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Vinlaen posted:

Is it possible to have iTunes automatically import new files every day from a specific folder and/or sync them to my iPhone?

I'm trying to setup a system to automatically sync new TV shows to my iPhone...

In your iTunes library there's a folder called 'automatically import to itunes'.
Then create a smart playlist for media type is TV and date added is in the last X days or the play count is zero depending on which suits you.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I would love to have something that regularly scans my iTunes library and lets me know when any artists I have are:

1) Coming to town on tour or
2) Releasing a new album

I heard iConcertCal used to do this but it hasn't been updated in a long time. Any other suggestions?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I would love to have something that regularly scans my iTunes library and lets me know when any artists I have are:

2) Releasing a new album

I heard iConcertCal used to do this but it hasn't been updated in a long time. Any other suggestions?

Not really an App, but Last.fm (https://www.last.fm) does this. Plus, it lets you compare music to your friends. For example, here is my page:

http://www.last.fm/user/JonFromCT
(Yes, I listen to some garbage, I know).

On your homepage, it shows you all events that artists that are playing near you, based on to what you listen to. (EDIT: Oh yes, and it does list new albums from artists). It does have a software side as well. If you run the program, it "scrobes" the music as you play it, and can tap into iDevices too, so that music doesn't get lost. That's how right now you can tell what I am listening to.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 14, 2011

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

dexter6 posted:

2) Releasing a new album

I use the app "Live Music" on my iPhone (Concerts only, not new albums). It only works against music synced to your phone though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A new version of iTunes came out just a few hours ago, and it brings with it the iTunes In The Cloud feature. "echobucket" had this informative post over in the OS X Software thread that he's letting me quote over here:

echobucket posted:

iTunes 10.5.1 is out with iTunes Match in "Beta" but for everyone to try.

Here's an iTunes Match tip for someone who's been living with the Beta for a while. There's an extra column you can turn on in iTunes called "iCloud status". Your songs will end up in one of several states:

Matched This means iTunes Matched the song and now you have access to the 256Kbps AAC iTunes version of that song
Uploaded This means iTunes uploaded your version of the file so you can redownload it to your devices at any time
Not Eligible This means it was either a video file (like a Music video) or some other kind of file that Apple has decided isn't eligible for iTunes match
Waiting This means it's waiting to be uploaded or matched
Error This is usually because the file is corrupted in some fashion. I found several messed up mp3s in my library because of this. Also, I had some 22.000Hz songs that had Error status.. I reencoded them using iTunes' AAC conversion thing and they uploaded fine after that.
Purchased This means you bought it on the iTunes store, no need to upload or match it.
Duplicate This means it's a duplicate file (this seems to be new to the final release of iTunes match as I never had one of these before.

echobucket posted:

If the song matches, you get 256Kbps AAC regardless of the quality of your original file. It should be noted, it does NOT TOUCH your local files. This only makes the files available in the cloud. You can then download them from iCloud using iTunes on another PC, or an iOS Device.

If you have some crappy 128Kbps mp3s and want to upgrade them, then wait until they are matched and delete them from your iTunes... they will stay in the list with a little cloud icon beside them. Click that and it'll download the 256Kbps AAC version!

If it doesn't match, then it uploads your file, no matter what it is (although I've heard that if it's over 320Kbps or if it's lossless then iTunes reencodes it to 256Kbps AAC before uploading. (I need a good source on that though)

Edit: This macrumors post really describes the details better than I can... http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13850490&postcount=58

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

IUG posted:

A new version of iTunes came out just a few hours ago, and it brings with it the iTunes In The Cloud feature. "echobucket" had this informative post over in the OS X Software thread that he's letting me quote over here:

I should clarify that songs at the wrong sampling rate (like 22,000Hz) show up as Not Eligible, not Error. A mistake in my original post.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004
A couple question for those using iTunes Match...

-I understand that even if it matches your music, it will still keep your metadata. Does this include your artwork, or does it use the album artwork that exists in the iTunes Store? (I ask because I went through and replaced a lot of album artwork with higher quality scans, I was wondering if those scans will get lost)

-Can you delete any of your music from iCloud once its been matched? Like if you bought a CD then decide later it's awful, can you remove it from your matched cloud collection permanently?

-Can you delete uploaded music? One of the big benefits of iTunes Match is the fact that you get a higher quality version of the songs that exist in iTunes. I have some stuff I ripped years ago that I'd love to have a better version of, but if I find that some of it doesn't get matched, I'd like to re-rip the CD at a higher bitrate.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

fordan posted:

OK, I did this and it seems to have worked. However, my apps seemed to have vanished. So I restarted the whole process and somehow lost my Itunes library.xml file in the process. Is there a way to re-generate that from the .itl file?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

deadhoarse posted:

A couple question for those using iTunes Match...

-I understand that even if it matches your music, it will still keep your metadata. Does this include your artwork, or does it use the album artwork that exists in the iTunes Store? (I ask because I went through and replaced a lot of album artwork with higher quality scans, I was wondering if those scans will get lost)

Not positive about this one, but I think it keeps your artwork.

deadhoarse posted:

-Can you delete any of your music from iCloud once its been matched? Like if you bought a CD then decide later it's awful, can you remove it from your matched cloud collection permanently?

-Can you delete uploaded music? One of the big benefits of iTunes Match is the fact that you get a higher quality version of the songs that exist in iTunes. I have some stuff I ripped years ago that I'd love to have a better version of, but if I find that some of it doesn't get matched, I'd like to re-rip the CD at a higher bitrate.

Yes to both of these. Just right click a song, then click delete. At first, this will just delete the song from your local machine, but keep it in your iCloud library. Then, you can just delete it again and it'll remove it from your iCloud library.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

There is also an "Also delete from iCloud" checkbox when you delete something.

It certainly seems to be using my artwork, as it's been spending about an hour so far uploading it. (Actually I would probably rather use theirs, although I don't care that much.)

I haven't seen any songs show up as "Uploaded" yet; maybe it's doing that last (I'm still on step 3 and it seems to be working on the artwork).

Some stuff showed up as "Not Eligible". It looks like it's based on the bit rate--anything below 96k showed up as Not Eligible. Most of this is ripped audiobooks, so that's fine, although there are a few odd low bitrate demos or live tracks in this category.

One strange thing is that it seems to just not be possible to sync the "Not Eligible" stuff back onto the phone, unless I change the type, e.g. to Audiobook or Podcast.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

headfake posted:

There is also an "Also delete from iCloud" checkbox when you delete something.

It certainly seems to be using my artwork, as it's been spending about an hour so far uploading it. (Actually I would probably rather use theirs, although I don't care that much.)

I haven't seen any songs show up as "Uploaded" yet; maybe it's doing that last (I'm still on step 3 and it seems to be working on the artwork).

Some stuff showed up as "Not Eligible". It looks like it's based on the bit rate--anything below 96k showed up as Not Eligible. Most of this is ripped audiobooks, so that's fine, although there are a few odd low bitrate demos or live tracks in this category.

One strange thing is that it seems to just not be possible to sync the "Not Eligible" stuff back onto the phone, unless I change the type, e.g. to Audiobook or Podcast.

You should probably change the type of your audiobooks to audiobook ;) I do this for various other spoken text things as well. If it's music that is a low bitrate, then I just reencode it into 256Kbps AAC which makes iTunes match like it. It's not like reencoding something that is such a low bitrate is going to make it WORSE

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yup, you're right--that is what I will be doing / have already done for stuff I was particularly interested in.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Silly question, my wife has a bunch of purchased iTunes music that she didn't upgrade to iTunes+.

Will getting an iTunes Match subscription automatically get the 256k drm free versions of those?

advion
Jul 25, 2005
The only thing that really could bother me about iTunes Match is the 25k song limit. Not that I'm there but for the last year I have hovered around 20k songs and I still have a pile of CDs the ex left behind I need to copy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Silly question, my wife has a bunch of purchased iTunes music that she didn't upgrade to iTunes+.

Will getting an iTunes Match subscription automatically get the 256k drm free versions of those?

Automatically, no. Get, yes. $25 for iTunes Plus amnesty!

It's not as seamless as the Plus upgrade (you have to manually delete and then re-download your protected files as opposed to just clicking "TAKE MY WALLET"), but for the ~$70 in savings I just netted, I'm not one to complain.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Someone help an idiot sync his iPod Shuffle 2G using iTunes 10 and Windows 7 please.

If I click and drag a song from the Music Library to my device (called "itunes sucks balls") iTunes will say it's syncing for a moment, I'll click on the iPod and it will show it's blank. I've tried dragging a song when it's both checked and unchecked, I've tried dragging a playlist and nothing at all shows up on the iPod.

Earlier, I could not drag anything to the iPod and had to re-initialize it.

Every tutorial and manual I can find are showing me screenshots of buttons that don't exist and I'm done fighting with it. I'm sure it's something easy but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

If this is the wrong place please point me in the right direction.

EDIT: Ejected via iTunes, disconnected, reconnected, now if I try to drag songs to the device I just get the "no smoking" circle with a line through it.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has probably come up before, but I haven't seen it.

Now that iOS 5 supports wireless syncing, I hardly ever plug in my iPhone anymore. I also sync a lot more, since it is more convenient. What I usually do is click on my iPhone in iTunes, choose "Sync," and then go do something else for a while. Then, whenever I come back to iTunes, it asks me if I want to apply changes. It seems like iTunes makes up some phantom changes for me to apply. Nothing has changed that I know of. Has anyone else had this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I think I fixed it.

Evidently iTunes only looks at it's configuration files to build the library and does not track or care about the actual underlying music files. Months ago I renamed the mp3 files that were in my iTunes library and instead of telling me the files were missing or broken it would give no error when I tried to sync. But, when I tried to AutoFill it finally realized the files were missing and specifically told me so.

Anyway, this web page tells you how to completely nuke your library and start over and it worked perfectly.