Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Daveski posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for good horror collections or box sets?

The Dawn of the Dead Ultimate edition is really good, although it's the same movie in different cuts across the DVDs with one great making of special feature.

The Blind Dead Collection is really great and comes in a really sturdy coffin case that looks great in a horror collection.

Shout!Factory has been releasing (and is continuing to release) the Roger Corman Cult Classics series. These are fantastic releases with all sorts of great extras included on top movies that are largely forgotten. You can't go wrong with either Humanoids From The Deep or Galaxy of Terror if you don't know where to start. Also, the release of Death Race 2000 should win some sort of award for most surprisingly awesome special feature: it has a great and candid interview with a costume designer where she spills all sorts of interesting information. These aren't available (yet at least) as a box set although in October there will be a Slumber Party Massacre box set in the series.

The recent Friday the 13th series re-releases are nice (rather than the "Ultimate Edition" box set), if not perfect -- but also are not available in a box proper. It's a nice collection to have around as most of those films (to my mind) are highly re-watchable and different friends tend to have different favourites.

Thethuthinnang's avatar reminded me that Full Moon Features have some great box sets available direct from the company. I'm a fan of the Subspecies series, but there's also a Puppetmaster box too. I might recommend against a blind buy though, and be aware that these are full frame releases, so they're not great if you want to show off your fancy new HDTV.

Anchor Bay used to release box sets all the time back in the day, but they've sort of let up on that. They used to release these "six packs" that came in boxes that made them look like six packs of beer. One box set that isn't from the "Six Pack" series though is 5 Films By Dario Argento which would be a respectable instant-Argento collection.

The two Bava box sets are also amazing. The commentaries from Tim Lucas for each film make the set worth it on their own. You get all of the essentials with the exceptions of Planet of the Vampires and Danger Diabolik too.

And finally, since you mentioned the Hammer Horror Set, I'd also recommend the Hammer Icons of Suspense collection too, even if it is hit and miss. The hits are AMAZING though.

Hope that helps. My recommendations are in no particular order, especially because I'm not sure where your appreciation for the genre may lie.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

justlikedunkirk posted:

Time to direct everyone's attention to a little known but terrific horror film.

Hotel

Where would one locate this film? After sorting through 50 flicks with the word 'hotel' in the title I searched with the director's name and this one wasn't available.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Daveski posted:

I already ordered this Hammer Horror set which has pretty good reviews, but was looking for some other recommendations.

I have that one. I've watched them all except the Gorgon one. The others are decent though, provided you know Hammer horror and it's general style. If not, Horror of Dracula is the best. Anything with Cushing and Lee together is usually decent. Dracula 1979 is pretty funny if for no other reason than this opening. Best Dracula theme ever.

quote:

Hotel (2004, French)

Found it on Amazon. Only $50 + shipping. I too would like to see this, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen with availability like this.

I loved House of the Devil, if anyone has any similar suggestions, please post em.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 8, 2010

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

StickySweater posted:

I have that one. I've watched them all except the Gorgon one. The others are decent though, provided you know Hammer horror and it's general style. If not, Horror of Dracula is the best. Anything with Cushing and Lee together is usually decent. Dracula 1979 is pretty funny if for no other reason than this opening. Best Dracula theme ever.

The Gorgon is great fun. I really like it when Cushing reads the definition of what happens to somebody who looks into the Gorgon's eyes: "to GORGONIZE".

A bad Hammer film is normally still worth the time.

Check out The Devil Rides Out some time - specifically if you like "House of the Devil" because it also involves witchcraft and weird goings on. Most people (rightly) associate Hammer with Dracula and Frankenstein films, but they made a bunch of other great films.

Sort of related, back to box set recommendations -- The Amicus Collection is good if you like your horror sort of weird and groovy with a side of Peter Cushing. And Now The Screaming Starts is a legitimately cool gothic horror film, The Beast Must Die is groovy and bizarre (it has a "werewolf break" where you're supposed to debate with friends as to who is the werewolf), and Asylum is a whacked out anthology.

I guess while I'm thinking groovy and weird with satanic cults too as a general recommendation that's not a boxset - Race With The Devil is a must see. Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Loretta Swit, a Winnebago, and a bunch of satanists. Good times!

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 9, 2010

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

Topper Harley posted:

Where would one locate this film? After sorting through 50 flicks with the word 'hotel' in the title I searched with the director's name and this one wasn't available.

StickySweater posted:

Found it on Amazon. Only $50 + shipping. I too would like to see this, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen with availability like this.

I loved House of the Devil, if anyone has any similar suggestions, please post em.

Sorry, I should have posted a link since it's very hard to get.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hotel-DVD-Franziska-Weisz/dp/B003JT0S4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1283994744&sr=8-2

Conversion rate comes out to around $15.50 before VAT/shipping so you might pay around $20 US for it (no surprise charges and such if you get the basic shipping either). The disc IS region free and in PAL but most DVD players can do PAL or Multi anyways, just make sure your player can support it.

Other movies that rely more on atmospheric scares like House of the Devil would probably be Noroi, Naboer and Session 9. These are just recent examples off the top of my head.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

InfiniteZero posted:

Hope that helps. My recommendations are in no particular order, especially because I'm not sure where your appreciation for the genre may lie.

Awesome, thanks! Those are all good suggestions. I do actually have a couple of the Roger Corman films, but I'll have to check out the other stuff.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

justlikedunkirk posted:

Time to direct everyone's attention to a little known but terrific horror film.

I'd really like to check this out but Netflix doesn't appear to have it and I can not find anything but "Hotel Rwanda" when searching elsewhere.

Edit: Welp, gently caress that, I'm not gonna buy a DVD to leave lying around the house after watching it once. Someone PM me when Netflix gets it in because I can't even save it in my queue.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 9, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Trailer for Priest is out, it looks bland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mhEtVqXR8

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
New Saw 3D trailer is out which is really REALLY REALLY selling the 3D.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810129857/trailer

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I haven't seen a Saw movie since Saw 2 (and I've never seen a Saw movie that I actually enjoyed) but the beginning of that trailer with the crowd seeing the trap in broad daylight actually piqued my interest.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Slasherfan posted:

Oh good, looks like they're trying to do the same thing The Final Destination 3D did and trying to pull the audience into the movie with "this might be happening to you!" That or its a really cheesy trailer who knows?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Slasherfan posted:

Holy poo poo that trailer was cheesy as hell.

I love the Saw series, so I'll definitely be seeing this whether it's 3D or not (note: I'm not a fan, really). The traps look insane, I can't wait to see how the car, fan, and daylight-saw traps work out. I'm interested to see how they'll work in the "NOW IT'S YOUR TURN"-bit. I'm actually sad this is going to be the last one, even though it probably won't.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
just saw a preview for a new Italian zombie flick called Eaters
http://rue-morgue.com/blog/archives/2010/09/07/new-trailer-for-italian-zombie-flick-eaters/

It does look interesting, but the people behind it don't have such a stellar record as far as story goes. May be just eye candy and nothing more, and it seems to rip off a few films, even in the preview.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Machine posted:

Holy poo poo that trailer was cheesy as hell.

I love the Saw series, so I'll definitely be seeing this whether it's 3D or not (note: I'm not a fan, really). The traps look insane, I can't wait to see how the car, fan, and daylight-saw traps work out. I'm interested to see how they'll work in the "NOW IT'S YOUR TURN"-bit. I'm actually sad this is going to be the last one, even though it probably won't.

I'll see it just to scream about how terrible it was later

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

There's a big car theme in Saw 3D, every trap seemed to have something to do with cars. Odd.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like the plot and title for The Collector 2 have been made public. It's now called The Collection, seriously, I doubt anyone outside the horror fan base is going to know that's a sequel, although maybe that's what they are trying to do.
"November start date has been locked for The Collection, Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton's collaborative sequel to their The Collector. Dunstan will return behind the camera to tell the story of Arkin, a man who survived the grasp of the first film's killer. He's teamed with a group of individuals who have band together to save woman a captured by The Collector. Casting is currently underway."

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 11, 2010

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
The Collector was far from perfect but I thought it was entertaining, and it had some great cinematography. I'll definitely see the sequel.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I thought Arkin died at the end of The Collector? I don't recall it perfectly but didn't the guy ram the ambulance and kill him?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
You might want to spoiler that. I've been probated for lesser spoilers.

The collector rammed the ambulance and took Arkin, not killed him.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

toxick posted:

You might want to spoiler that. I've been probated for lesser spoilers.

The collector rammed the ambulance and took Arkin, not killed him.

I guess it's not a spoiler since it's wrong. I thought a different ending was implied based on what other characters had said about The Collector does, but I guess I'm not surprised that such a nonsensical movie breaks its own rules.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Industrial posted:

I guess it's not a spoiler since it's wrong.

Now it's a reverse spoiler (by telling someone what doesn't happen, you let them know what does happen).

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I wonder how the 3D in Saw 7 will look. It was shot in 3D, not post converted like Piranha so it won't look like total rear end. It shot with the SI-3D digital camera system, any other movies shot with that?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

I wonder how the 3D in Saw 7 will look.

Probably just like Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D. It's not like the Saw producers are known for subtlety.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So was it actually shot in 3-D or is it more of a post-conversion job?

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Industrial posted:

I guess it's not a spoiler since it's wrong. I thought a different ending was implied based on what other characters had said about The Collector does, but I guess I'm not surprised that such a nonsensical movie breaks its own rules.

I just watched it, and this is explained in the movie. He for some reason likes to keep someone alive in a box, and the guy in the box said he was "bait."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

So was it actually shot in 3-D or is it more of a post-conversion job?

Shot in 3D. Not the Avatar camera or anything like that, but it was shot with a digital 3D camera.

Which surprises the hell out of me, given how cheap the SAW series tends to run.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Shot in 3D. Not the Avatar camera or anything like that, but it was shot with a digital 3D camera.

Which surprises the hell out of me, given how cheap the SAW series tends to run.
To be fair every movie has made money. In fact going by a quick look at wikipedia they have made a poo poo load of money compared to costs. I would presume that any additional costs for the 3D work would be offset by increased interest in the new movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Korak posted:

To be fair every movie has made money. In fact going by a quick look at wikipedia they have made a poo poo load of money compared to costs. I would presume that any additional costs for the 3D work would be offset by increased interest in the new movie.

Oh, I know they can afford it, but I do know they like to keep the production costs down on each film. I mean 3 only ended up costing like two million or something. They get more than their cash's worth on the films, I just am surprised they are going so gung-ho with this film.

Then again, its supposedly the last.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Dickeye posted:

I'll see it just to scream about how terrible it was later

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like there was a screening for Let Me In as reviews have started to come in.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/let-me-2010

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/2230

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like there was a screening for Let Me In as reviews have started to come in.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/let-me-2010

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/2230

Well I'll be damned. Maybe I will check it out after all.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I re watched Happy Birthday To Me last night, one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, it still holds up so well. Hysteria Lives just did an entire piece on it. I'd love to see a remake, a proper one, not one done by those hacks at Screen Gems. Also love to see a sequel to My Bloody Valentine, come on, it made 100 million worldwide on a 14 million budget, why no sequel :(, they did Halloween 2 and part 1 only did 80 worldwide.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

I re watched Happy Birthday To Me last night, one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, it still holds up so well. Hysteria Lives just did an entire piece on it. I'd love to see a remake, a proper one, not one done by those hacks at Screen Gems.

Happy Birthday to Me is perfect as it is and doesn't need a remake under any circumstances.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

thethuthinnang posted:

Just saw Adam Green's Frozen. I never imagined a movie about three people stuck on a chairlift could play out so well. Highly recommended.

Just watched this last night, along with Trick R Treat and a rewatch of Orphan, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not without its flaws, but, as a big horror movie fan, I'm willing to overlook things for the sake of a good time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slasherfan posted:

I re watched Happy Birthday To Me last night, one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, it still holds up so well. Hysteria Lives just did an entire piece on it. I'd love to see a remake, a proper one, not one done by those hacks at Screen Gems. Also love to see a sequel to My Bloody Valentine, come on, it made 100 million worldwide on a 14 million budget, why no sequel :(, they did Halloween 2 and part 1 only did 80 worldwide.

Apparently the Director of MBV had a "Fantastic" idea for a sequel that he pitched to Lionsgate, who then went and passed on it right away. I really hope we get to hear what it was one day since I doubt it'll ever get made.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

ultraviolence123 posted:

Happy Birthday to Me is perfect

The poster for this is amazing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Hey guys, I know this is a very open request but I'm in the mood for a good "scary" horror movie to watch tonight since I have jack poo poo to do. Movies like the original Exorcist and Paranormal activity creep me out the most, I end up laughing at Friday the 13th and zombie movies. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

rxcowboy posted:

good "scary" horror movie

If you liked "Paranormal Activity" you might like "Rec", "Rec2", or "The Fourth Kind" I guess.

There's a recommendation thread by the way ...

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 13, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this.

Maybe not scream

Maybe just grumble like an old man with darned kids on his lawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

Hey guys, I know this is a very open request but I'm in the mood for a good "scary" horror movie to watch tonight since I have jack poo poo to do. Movies like the original Exorcist and Paranormal activity creep me out the most, I end up laughing at Friday the 13th and zombie movies. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

It's an 80s movie but I always recommend The Changeling (not the recent movie directed by Clint Eastwood) for someone looking for a good scare.