Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Proxy the images through your server and you can get around the CORS restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotastronaut
Aug 6, 2012

Does anyone know of a good scientific data library for JS (node in particular)? I haven't been able to find one that is comparable to scipy/numpy, and I'd really prefer to not spawn a bunch of child processes to do my data analysis, but I think it might be the only option. I feel like someone told me about a D3.js plugin that did some, but I couldn't find much.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Vlad the Retailer posted:

That makes sense. I don't suppose there's a workaround for that, then?

Assuming you have control over the image host: just set the CORS headers where they are hosted, and specify that each image request is a cross-origin request.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Assuming you have control over the image host: just set the CORS headers where they are hosted, and specify that each image request is a cross-origin request.

this has godawful browser support by the way. like you can throw out support for any IE I'm pretty sure (and IIRC there were some dumb subtleties between the FF/Chrome implementations). you have to specify a crossorigin attribute on the image tag or set the crossOrigin property if you're creating those Image nodes dynamically.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/CORS_Enabled_Image

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Deus Rex posted:

this has godawful browser support by the way. like you can throw out support for any IE I'm pretty sure (and IIRC there were some dumb subtleties between the FF/Chrome implementations). you have to specify a crossorigin attribute on the image tag or set the crossOrigin property if you're creating those Image nodes dynamically.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/CORS_Enabled_Image

To reiterate what Stoph said: proxy the images if you need to do this. You'll wind up saving yourself a lot of headaches.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
And that means that no, there is no pure Javascript, browser-based solution to this, you will need some server that will act as a proxy.

O Tempora! O Mores!
Dec 24, 2008
If it meets your use-case, Flash and Java applets both give access to CORS natively. But yeah, what you're asking for can't be done natively in JS in a supported manner.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
I'm trying to understand this recursive string permutation algorithm, but after following it through in the debugger about 5x now I'm still not understanding it.

Here is the code:
code:
function perm(out, str){
    if(str.length > 0){
      for(var i = 0; i < str.length; i++){
        perm(out + str[i], str.substring(0,i) + str.substring(i + 1)); 
      }
    } else {
   console.log(out);
    }
  }  
It's called by another function, which always inputs a blank string for the out parameter(acts as a placeholder for the output permutation.)

These are the variable values each time I step through it in the debugger.
code:
i      |     Out     |       String
0            cat             e
0            cate            ""  (as string is now 0, it gets logged)
1            cat             e   (after logging, it comes up one level, and the variables are what they were one call before)
1            ca              te  (this is the line I don't understand.)
What I don't understand is how the characters from the output string start getting tacked onto the actual string. Clearly since i is now 1 at that point, the offset for the substrings is different, but I'm still just not absorbing why the characters are moving from the output string back to the input string.

Sorry if this post isn't appropriate for the thread, but since I'm using JS I thought I'd ask here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sitting Bull posted:

code:
1            cat             e   (after logging, it comes up one level, and the variables are what they were one call before)
What I don't understand is how the characters from the output string start getting tacked onto the actual string. Clearly since i is now 1 at that point, the offset for the substrings is different, but I'm still just not absorbing why the characters are moving from the output string back to the input string.

Characters are not moving from the output string back to the input string. What you're seeing is a depth first search. So the recursion has out being "", c, ca, cat, cate, all with i being 0, then you pop up one level, and now you see out being "cat" and now looking at the i = 1 position (so "e"), then you pop up another level, and see out being "ca" and the rest of the string being "te", and so on...

One way to look at this again would be to add another parameter that just gets incremented called "stack", initially 0, then each time perm is called inside the body call it with stack + 1.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

ulmont posted:

Characters are not moving from the output string back to the input string. What you're seeing is a depth first search. So the recursion has out being "", c, ca, cat, cate, all with i being 0, then you pop up one level, and now you see out being "cat" and now looking at the i = 1 position (so "e"), then you pop up another level, and see out being "ca" and the rest of the string being "te", and so on...

One way to look at this again would be to add another parameter that just gets incremented called "stack", initially 0, then each time perm is called inside the body call it with stack + 1.

You are a golden god, thanks ulmont!

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Sitting Bull posted:

I'm trying to understand this recursive string permutation algorithm, but after following it through in the debugger about 5x now I'm still not understanding it.

Here is the code:
code:
function perm(out, str){
    if(str.length > 0){
      for(var i = 0; i < str.length; i++){
        perm(out + str[i], str.substring(0,i) + str.substring(i + 1)); 
      }
    } else {
   console.log(out);
    }
  }  
It's called by another function, which always inputs a blank string for the out parameter(acts as a placeholder for the output permutation.)

These are the variable values each time I step through it in the debugger.
code:

Sorry if this post isn't appropriate for the thread, but since I'm using JS I thought I'd ask here.

It'll be clearer if we also keep track of the recursion tree depth we're at.

code:
depth  |    i    |    Out    |     String
3           0         cat          e
4           0         cate         ""        recursion ends - str.length is not > 0
3           1         cat          e         recursion ends - i is not < str.length
2           1         ca           te
See what's going on?

e: :argh:

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
No I still appreciate it, thank you as well. I've got a much better grasp on it now.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I have a strange problem with clipping in HTML5 Canvas. I was trying to make clipping work in a larger 2d framework but I keep running into a strange flickering issue that's also sometimes accompanied by slow performance loss. No matter what I did, I couldn't chase down the problem so finally I just made a small demo of a box with clipping, and put it outside the framework - and I still get the same issue. BUT if I paste it to JSFiddle, everything seems to work correctly.

The flickering happens like maybe every 5 or 10 seconds for me. The performance slowdown happens by slowing down fps gradually within 5 minutes or so until it hits somewhere around 10 fps.

Here's all the code I have in my HTML:

code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <title>gently caress gently caress</title>
        <script type='text/javascript'>
            window.onload = function(){
                (function(){
                    var ctx = document.getElementById('butt').getContext('2d');
                    var rectx = 31;
                    var recty = 10;
                    var direction = 1;

setInterval(function(){
                        ctx.save();
                        ctx.clearRect(0, 0, 500, 400);

rectx += 6 * direction;

if(rectx > 250 || rectx < 30) direction = direction * -1;

ctx.rect(50, 5, 200, 35);
                        ctx.clip();

ctx.fillStyle = '#ff0055';
                        ctx.fillRect(rectx, recty, 50, 50);

ctx.restore();
                    }, 33);
                })();
            }
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <canvas id="butt" width="400" height='200'></canvas>
    </body>
</html>
If I replicate this in JSFiddle, it doesn't flicker. If I just put it into an HMTL file, I get flicker. If I disable clipping, I never get flicker. Can anyone confirm this completely illogical phenomenon? :psyduck:

edit: Apparently things gently caress up if you clip things and don't use paths for the clipping mask AND the thing you're drawing. Doing this solved my flickering issues, but it still doesn't explain why I wasn't getting any issues on JSFiddle.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 6, 2013

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does someone know a nice way for a userscript(greasemonkey/tampermonkey etc.) to getImageData from an arbitrary image on a page. The main issue is all this cross domain shenanigans.

e: I mean I know about GM_xmlhttpRequest which is there to allow for cross origin access, but I'm not sure how to get the image data out of that. As far as I know the most straightforward way is to convert the responseText a data URI then you can set an img element src to that dataURI and draw the image to canvas at which point you can use context.getImageData
I'm just not grasping how to convert this binary string to a data URI.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I was going to suggest writing a server-side script to use as a proxy, but I found this: http://www.maxnov.com/getimagedata/

It's quite old though so I've no idea if the service is still running, though you could roll your own with https://github.com/betamax/getImageData/tree/master/server-examples/node

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Is there any way to set a breakpoint and debug JS before trying to execute the code? I ask because I'm trying to debug something which is hitting an infinite loop somewhere, so I'm unable to load the file then debug in chrome dev tools.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sitting Bull posted:

Is there any way to set a breakpoint and debug JS before trying to execute the code? I ask because I'm trying to debug something which is hitting an infinite loop somewhere, so I'm unable to load the file then debug in chrome dev tools.

Use a debugger statement. Make sure you have dev tools open when you reload the page.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/debugger

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

akadajet posted:

Use a debugger statement. Make sure you have dev tools open when you reload the page.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/debugger

Thank you! My google skills are clearly lacking.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Can someone explain what jQuery silently fails means? Does that mean that if if had this listener:

code:
$('.image-wrapper').on('click', function(){
    Do stuff
});
and .image-wrapper was not found the code inside would be ignored? Like the the JS would skip right over it?

And if it is, is that the same thing as:

code:
if( $('.image-wrapper').length ){
        Do stuff
    });	
}

Im trying to learn hot to be a bit more efficient with my JS.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
I need some help laying out some groundwork for a rather large project I want to take up in my free time to improve a product here at work. Here are the basics:

1. Custom server API that currently receives/returns XML. There is the possibility this could be refactored to JSON, but for the time being is not. Long term it makes sense to have the backend do any data transformation instead of client side.
2. The product is a multi-page interview style process that takes user input and generates rates.
3. The pages are all custom built depending on customer - this needs to be factored into the solution as we have to create a generic product to display any page content.
4. Any calculations are handled on the backend - there will be no logic built into the front end application as it is supposed to be a generic wrapper to generate and display any customer's custom content.
5. Each page should have the ability to render data on the fly using any of the many API calls. These APIs basically get the contents of the page, page data is updated on change (when necessary for calculation purposes, 3rd party integration calls or showing additional input), and re-displayed to the user with no full page refreshes to minimize full page redraws.

Using this as a guideline I have been researching and building out some small proof of concepts is AngularJS. I was thinking that the 2 way data binding aspect of Angular would greatly improve the AJAX page data updating as I could dump all of the page layout response data from the API into an object used to output on the screen. That way the form data that is dumped onto the screen will map back to this object, and any time I call the API and get an updated response the values will automatically update on the view as well. Is there anything based on these outlines that would prevent Angular from being the framework of choice for now (besides the obvious lack of XML support in Angular)?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

rugbert posted:

Can someone explain what jQuery silently fails means? Does that mean that if if had this listener:

code:
    Do stuff
});
and .image-wrapper was not found the code inside would be ignored? Like the the JS would skip right over it?
Code that doesn't match a DOM element won't be executed. Not sure what you mean by ignored or skipped.

quote:

And if it is, is that the same thing as:

code:
if( $('.image-wrapper').length ){
        Do stuff
    });	
}

Im trying to learn hot to be a bit more efficient with my JS.
No, This code forces jQuery to traverse the DOM twice to find all the elements with class $('.image-wrapper'), and is unnecessary. It will also not work either since 0 is loosely false in javascript and will fail that statement. You would need to do 'if (x.length > 0)'

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Strong Sauce posted:

It will also not work either since 0 is loosely false in javascript and will fail that statement. You would need to do 'if (x.length > 0)'

code:
if (x.length)
and
code:
if (x.length > 0)
are roughly equivalent in this situation. The length will never be negative, for example.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

excidium posted:

I need some help laying out some groundwork for a rather large project I want to take up in my free time to improve a product here at work. Here are the basics:

1. Custom server API that currently receives/returns XML. There is the possibility this could be refactored to JSON, but for the time being is not. Long term it makes sense to have the backend do any data transformation instead of client side.
2. The product is a multi-page interview style process that takes user input and generates rates.
3. The pages are all custom built depending on customer - this needs to be factored into the solution as we have to create a generic product to display any page content.
4. Any calculations are handled on the backend - there will be no logic built into the front end application as it is supposed to be a generic wrapper to generate and display any customer's custom content.
5. Each page should have the ability to render data on the fly using any of the many API calls. These APIs basically get the contents of the page, page data is updated on change (when necessary for calculation purposes, 3rd party integration calls or showing additional input), and re-displayed to the user with no full page refreshes to minimize full page redraws.

Using this as a guideline I have been researching and building out some small proof of concepts is AngularJS. I was thinking that the 2 way data binding aspect of Angular would greatly improve the AJAX page data updating as I could dump all of the page layout response data from the API into an object used to output on the screen. That way the form data that is dumped onto the screen will map back to this object, and any time I call the API and get an updated response the values will automatically update on the view as well. Is there anything based on these outlines that would prevent Angular from being the framework of choice for now (besides the obvious lack of XML support in Angular)?

I don't see any reason that Angular won't work (as long as it fits your browser requirements!), but if I were going at it right now I might also write out some prototypes in EmberJS and even plain KnockoutJS + some JS templating engine, although that could be because I'm having some Angular burnout from two ongoing projects. Complex client side interactions and DOM manipulation is where Angular really shines, so if your app doesn't have much by way of client side logic it's worth it to consider some of the alternatives.

Otherwise, some of Angular's idiosyncrasies could get in your way or cause a bit of an impedance mismatch. For example, for an interview style application that collects data from multiple views Angular's insistence on one controller/scope per view will be something to work around. Because your data is XML, angular's $http isn't going to be all that useful. It can be jimmied to do XML, but in the end you'll probably be better off writing your own service.

(I'm trying hard not to let my current Angular burnout influence my opinions here too much!)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Stoph posted:

code:
if (x.length)
and
code:
if (x.length > 0)
are roughly equivalent in this situation. The length will never be negative, for example.

Yeah you're right.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Anyone have experience with SVG in IE9 vs. IE10? We have a tournament bracket system (you can pan and zoom among other things) and it works perfectly fine in IE10 (and Chrome/Firefox), but on IE8/9 it's really slow to start, but if you load a few brackets it magically starts being fast. I can't figure out if it's something to do with caching or what. I haven't had much luck searching around on the Googles.

So is there any code that is known to slow down IE8/9 that was fixed in IE10? Or alternatively is there any information that I haven't been able to find on how IE loads SVG and caches it?

Edit - Just discovered something- it seems like it only fixes when you open the Dev tools. What does that change that would make SVG run better?!? So weird.

subx fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 13, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
IE10 is significantly faster at basically everything than IE8/9, so that part is totally normal. SVG rendering being faster with the dev tools open is weird, though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Plorkyeran posted:

IE10 is significantly faster at basically everything than IE8/9, so that part is totally normal. SVG rendering being faster with the dev tools open is weird, though.

Yea I definitely notice the IE10 thing. Unfortunately the system they use can't use IE10, so I'm stuck trying to figure out a fix on IE9.

So if anyone has any idea why opening Dev tools would fix SVG in IE9 it would be awesome.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The only thing I know of for sure* that IE does differently when the dev tools are open is to define a console object. Maybe it's throwing and catching a lot of errors related to that in a loop somewhere?

*having the dev tools open also changes the way/frequency it renders in some circumstances that I have observed, but I didn't bother trying to find the mechanism for it. It was related to either <video> or flash support, though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

The only thing I know of for sure* that IE does differently when the dev tools are open is to define a console object. Maybe it's throwing and catching a lot of errors related to that in a loop somewhere?

*having the dev tools open also changes the way/frequency it renders in some circumstances that I have observed, but I didn't bother trying to find the mechanism for it. It was related to either <video> or flash support, though.

Apparently this was the problem (I actually discovered it about the time you posted). Other browsers just ignore the console object unless it's open, but IE throws a huge fit (though I guess they fixed it in IE10).

Really hard to diagnose since you can't really tell what's going on without the console open...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

subx posted:

Apparently this was the problem (I actually discovered it about the time you posted). Other browsers just ignore the console object unless it's open, but IE throws a huge fit (though I guess they fixed it in IE10).

Really hard to diagnose since you can't really tell what's going on without the console open...

JavaScript code:
// Help IE get the gently caress over itself
var console = window.console || {log: function(){}};
Is the second thing I put in a module after "use strict";

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
There's also this: http://benalman.com/projects/javascript-debug-console-log/

Which works with all the standard console methods. I personally use console.group and console.table a lot when debugging!

see also:
http://www.paulirish.com/2009/log-a-lightweight-wrapper-for-consolelog/
https://github.com/cpatik/console.log-wrapper

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm having trouble with "window.open" and bookmarklets. I have a script that generates a text array that maps out the layout of a form page. I want to be able to save this as txt to export to Excel. So far, it looks like my best option is to output the array onto a blank new page and save it from there. However, when I use "window.open", I'm unable to write anything into the new window (I get an "Error on page" message).

How can I remedy this? Or is there an easier way to save an array to a text file using only bookmarklets?

Note: I'm stuck with IE7 and have no say in that matter.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There is probably not a good way to do that outside of the new JS filesystem API, which is currently only implemented in Chrome.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm having trouble with "window.open" and bookmarklets. I have a script that generates a text array that maps out the layout of a form page. I want to be able to save this as txt to export to Excel. So far, it looks like my best option is to output the array onto a blank new page and save it from there. However, when I use "window.open", I'm unable to write anything into the new window (I get an "Error on page" message).

How can I remedy this? Or is there an easier way to save an array to a text file using only bookmarklets?

Note: I'm stuck with IE7 and have no say in that matter.

you'll have to pass the text back to the server which can turn it into an xlsx or csv or whatever. the server stores it, then tells you where it's stored as the return to the ajax call. now redirect the page there.

either that or write a plugin i guess

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
So I'm using AngularJS to retrieve XML files as that's what my company API is set up to communicate with. I plan on using directives to transform this XML into usable HTML, but I am stuck on something I would think is pretty basic. I have a big set of XML in the response and only want to work with a subsection of it in certain areas. How can I select just the <afcWest> block of data in pure AngularJS?

code:
<nfl>
  <divisions>
    <nfcWest>
      <seahawks>Seattle</seahawks>
      <49ers>San Francisco</49ers>
      <rams>St Louis</rams>
      <cardinals>Arizona</cardinals>
    </nfcWest>
    <afcWest>
      <broncos>Denver</broncos>
      <chiefs>Kansas City</chiefs>
      <chargers>San Diego</chargers>
      <raiders>Oakland</raiders>
    </afcWest>
  </divisions>
</nfl>

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

excidium posted:

So I'm using AngularJS to retrieve XML files as that's what my company API is set up to communicate with. I plan on using directives to transform this XML into usable HTML, but I am stuck on something I would think is pretty basic. I have a big set of XML in the response and only want to work with a subsection of it in certain areas. How can I select just the <afcWest> block of data in pure AngularJS?

code:
<nfl>
  <divisions>
    <nfcWest>
      <rams>St Louis</rams>
    </nfcWest>
    <afcWest>
    </afcWest>
  </divisions>
</nfl>

I know you said pure Angularjs, but I would suggest Json, python, or this module as I don't know any way using just Angularjs(but I'm fairly new with Angularjs, so maybe somebody else can be of more help.)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You can't do it in AngularJS because javascript does not natively support XML so at some point you're going to have to convert it over to Javascript with XPath/some XML2javascript function.

Then if you only want to work on subsections of the converted XML you need to just define a Controller that passes back multiple "Models" back into the scope that contain only the teams from AFC West, NFC West, etc.

Edit: Actually XPath could probably do this the fastest

xmlStr = <string rep of XML>
xmlDom = new DOMParser().parseFromString(xmlStr,'text/xml')
xmlIter = xmlDom.evaluate("//nfl/divisions/nfcWest/*", xmlDom, null, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE,null)

Then use xmlIter.iterateNext() to get the next team.

Also <49ers> is not a valid XML element.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 18, 2013

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

excidium posted:

code:
<nfl>
  <divisions>
    <nfcWest>
      <rams>St Louis</rams>
    </nfcWest>
    <afcWest>
    </afcWest>
  </divisions>
</nfl>

Use this as Sitting Bull mentioned: https://github.com/johngeorgewright/angular-xml. It should do exactly what you need.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Strong Sauce posted:

You can't do it in AngularJS because javascript does not natively support XML so at some point you're going to have to convert it over to Javascript with XPath/some XML2javascript function.

Then if you only want to work on subsections of the converted XML you need to just define a Controller that passes back multiple "Models" back into the scope that contain only the teams from AFC West, NFC West, etc.

Edit: Actually XPath could probably do this the fastest

xmlStr = <string rep of XML>
xmlDom = new DOMParser().parseFromString(xmlStr,'text/xml')
xmlIter = xmlDom.evaluate("//nfl/divisions/nfcWest/*", xmlDom, null, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE,null)

Then use xmlIter.iterateNext() to get the next team.

Also <49ers> is not a valid XML element.

Ok, so the main reason I was asking is that I'm looking into the feasibility of using an XML API response as my page template data. The thinking was that by just grabbing the relevant information from the XML response (of which not all is necessary to be output on the page) that I could then use the Angular directives to transform the XML into the correct HTML valid format. So far I'm not having any luck. I'm probably not going about things the right way but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how I want to structure things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

excidium posted:

Ok, so the main reason I was asking is that I'm looking into the feasibility of using an XML API response as my page template data. The thinking was that by just grabbing the relevant information from the XML response (of which not all is necessary to be output on the page) that I could then use the Angular directives to transform the XML into the correct HTML valid format. So far I'm not having any luck. I'm probably not going about things the right way but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how I want to structure things.

This is... doable, but probably not really advisable. You really, really, really want to convert things to JSON first. I mean, can you give a concrete example of what you want to do? Why a directive to transform XML into the appropriate HTML? Directives are really best suited for DOM manipulation based on the model and/or updates to the model, not wholesale templating. If you convert your service response to JSON first then you can template without really needing any directives.