Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Thank you guys, this has helped a lot. I am leaning towards the Bradbury after reading a few excerpts. When I say that he has trouble reading I mean he has literal mental disabilities and has trouble with words more than about 3 syllables large. Bradbury's stories are very short and seem to evoke some pretty powerful imagery so I think that will work great for now.

I still appreciate your recommendation! If he picks up on it I'll be back here picking through these posts :)
VVVVVVVVV

wigglin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Double V
Jul 26, 2007
Better than Rick Santorum's red boxers

Pete Zah posted:

I'm looking to gift a book to my teenage brother who has never read a book more complex than something like Goosebumps. He was recently sentenced to jail time and has asked me to find him something he could get interested in considering how much time he has on his hands now.

I am sort of lost here, my best ideas for novels were Holes and The Catcher in the Rye (probably a bad idea), but I'm honestly not so sure that a novel is the best idea. Maybe something easier to digest like short stories? I'm looking for anything that is optimistic and thought provoking for a teenager who has serious trouble reading.

I couldn't get enough Isaac Asimov as a young teen. His writing was lucid, and he always displayed optimism about science and technology. The place to start would be I, Robot, which is a short story collection. From there you could go on to The Caves of Steel or The Complete Robot.

edit: Bradbury is fun too.

Dazzling Double V fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 14, 2011

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm looking for books that are fairly fast, funny, entertaining reads, but that are still really well-written. I just finished The Man Who Was Thursday and totally dug it, finished it in two days. I also recently enjoyed a collection of Roald Dahl short stories, and I'd probably be reading a David Sedaris book right now if I hadn't already read them all. I'd rather avoid sci-fi and fantasy, because I typically read so much of it and I want to branch out. Any ideas?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm looking for books that are fairly fast, funny, entertaining reads, but that are still really well-written. I just finished The Man Who Was Thursday and totally dug it, finished it in two days. I also recently enjoyed a collection of Roald Dahl short stories, and I'd probably be reading a David Sedaris book right now if I hadn't already read them all. I'd rather avoid sci-fi and fantasy, because I typically read so much of it and I want to branch out. Any ideas?

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. It's a victorian-era travelogue, "some rambling notes from an idle excursion," very funny, very british, very sharp, very victorian.

You could also try the Jeeves books by Wodehouse.

It opens like this:

quote:

We were all feeling seedy, and we were getting quite nervous about it. Harris said he felt such extraordinary fits of giddiness come over him at times, that he hardly knew what he was doing; and then George said that HE had fits of giddiness too, and hardly knew what HE was doing. With me, it was my liver that was out of order. I knew it was my liver that was out of order, because I had just been reading a patent liver-pill circular, in which were detailed the various symptoms by which a man could tell when his liver was out of order. I had them all.

. . . .

In the present instance, going back to the liver-pill circular, I had the symptoms, beyond all mistake, the chief among them being "a general disinclination to work of any kind."
What I suffer in that way no tongue can tell. From my earliest infancy I have been a martyr to it. As a boy, the disease hardly ever left me for a day. They did not know, then, that it was my liver. Medical science was in a far less advanced state than now, and they used to put it down to laziness.
"Why, you skulking little devil, you," they would say, "get up and do something for your living, can't you?" - not knowing, of course, that I was ill.
And they didn't give me pills; they gave me clumps on the side of the head. And, strange as it may appear, those clumps on the head often cured me - for the time being. I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver, and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there, and do what was wanted to be done, without further loss of time, than a whole box of pills does now.
You know, it often is so - those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff.
We sat there for half-an-hour, describing to each other our maladies. I explained to George and William Harris how I felt when I got up in the morning, and William Harris told us how he felt when he went to bed; and George stood on the hearth-rug, and gave us a clever and powerful piece of acting, illustrative of how he felt in the night.
George FANCIES he is ill; but there's never anything really the matter with him, you know.

If you like Chesterton, read his Father Brown mysteries. When I get sick of fantasy & sci-fi I switch over to mysteries to clear my head, and the Father Brown books are fairly clever, like all of Chesterton.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2011

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
I'm looking for some horror or thriller books that arent "oooh theres a ghost" or "a masked man is stabbing us!" type stories. I'm leaning more toward Lovecraftian type stories that explore what is unknown or madness and creating horror out of that.

Thomas Ligotti is close, but I've read all his stories, House of Leaves was excellent although I wish it was just Navidsons explorations instead of the writings of a schitzophrenic. and that book requires very in depth studying to unlock its whole story, which I do not want to do.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

El Asso posted:

I'm looking for some horror or thriller books that arent "oooh theres a ghost" or "a masked man is stabbing us!" type stories. I'm leaning more toward Lovecraftian type stories that explore what is unknown or madness and creating horror out of that.

Thomas Ligotti is close, but I've read all his stories, House of Leaves was excellent although I wish it was just Navidsons explorations instead of the writings of a schitzophrenic. and that book requires very in depth studying to unlock its whole story, which I do not want to do.

Check out Simon Strantzas or Richard Gavin, you can get some of their stuff from Dark Regions Press.

If you're willing to throw more money at it, PS Publishing has a collection called Black Wings that is excellent.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just finished reading "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. I really enjoyed the serious look at how we consume media as a population. While I feel like the book is still pretty relevant, it was published in 1985. I would like to find a book that provides a similar analysis but also takes into account the changes that the Internet as a medium have brought about. I've found a few that seem to fit the bill, in particular "Media Unlimited" by Todd Gitlin, but I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation on a good informative book on the Kray Brothers?

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I really dig creative non-fiction like Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto and Consider the Lobster, or anything else by D.F.W. or Klosterman.

Can you guys recommend anything similar or of this calibre?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

oceanside posted:

I really dig creative non-fiction like Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto and Consider the Lobster, or anything else by D.F.W. or Klosterman.

David Sedaris might be up your alley. Start with Me Talk Pretty One Day.

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me

oceanside posted:

Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste by Carl Wilson is basically a DFW approach to a Klosterman pop-culture topic. Wilson, to learn about taste, tries to get himself to like Celine Dion and figure out why she has a fanbase. It's both hilarious, absolutely fascinating, and just about the perfect length for the topic.

You can find the flip-side - a Klosterman obsessed-and-passionate tone on more DFW-esque topics - in Critical Amnesia by Clive James, seveal dozen mini-essays on various characters from the last century. It's both intensely personal to James, but also very passionate and unafraid to criticize where he thinks they've fallen short. You get a really strong sense that James loves books and loves art and loves loving most of all.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I just finished King Leopold's Ghost and I couldn't put it down. Does anyone have any reccomendations of anything similar?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

oceanside posted:

Try The New Kings of Nonfiction. It's a collection of essays selected by Ira Glass and I'm pretty sure it's got a story by Chuck K and DFW. It's got my favorite essay by Malcom Gladwell, "Shapinsky's Karma".

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

oceanside posted:

Sex, Drugs, Einstein and Elves and The Beginner's Guide to Immortality both by Clifford Pickover are both fairly interesting reads, if you're into that sort of thing.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What are some good horror short story collections? I'm mostly into supernatural/paranormal horror. I'd prefer stuff available in the Kindle store.

Also can anyone recommend any authors similar to Don DeLillo? White Noise is my favorite book of his, if it matters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Traxis posted:

What are some good horror short story collections? I'm mostly into supernatural/paranormal horror. I'd prefer stuff available in the Kindle store.

This, this, and this should get you started.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!

showbiz_liz posted:

I really like Tom Perotta for this kind of book. His books seem about halfway between capital L Literature and reading for fun. I think my favorite one was Little Children, but I've read all his books and liked every one, plus they only take me a couple days to read.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I really like well-done period films, and I think I've realized that it's because I like seeing all the minute details of life from other time periods. Can anyone recommend any historical fiction books that do this? I mean craft a really visceral world, I've tried picking up a few historical fiction books recently and they had these really bothersome inaccuracies, or they just didn't feel like they were authentic. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, like something about the character voices were off or the author just didn't do enough research about the time period. So if there are any books you could name that really nail whatever time period they're taking place in, down to the clothing, food, environment, interactions, and ways of thinking, I'd love to hear them. Oh yeah, and a good plot would be a bonus. :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Double Plus Good posted:

I really like well-done period films, and I think I've realized that it's because I like seeing all the minute details of life from other time periods. Can anyone recommend any historical fiction books that do this? I mean craft a really visceral world, I've tried picking up a few historical fiction books recently and they had these really bothersome inaccuracies, or they just didn't feel like they were authentic. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, like something about the character voices were off or the author just didn't do enough research about the time period. So if there are any books you could name that really nail whatever time period they're taking place in, down to the clothing, food, environment, interactions, and ways of thinking, I'd love to hear them. Oh yeah, and a good plot would be a bonus. :)

I Claudius - The Judio-Claudian Dynasty. Augustus to Claudius

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I'm watching Coco Avant Chanel, a 2009 french movie about the life of Gabrielle Chanel. Could someone recommend me which biography to read about her? I'd love to try reading again (I have trouble reading more than a few pages at once), and she seems to have lead an incredible life.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 17, 2011

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
Help me get back into reading!

I've noticed that since I've gotten older and older I have a hard time giving a poo poo about anything happening in fiction.

I used to read fantasy and science fiction exclusively, but find now that I just can't muster much enthusiasm for escapist fiction as much as I used to.

Recommend me a book that has a great hook and is such a page turner that I won't be able to put it down. Any genre is okay but I wouldn't mind re-opening my love for fantasy and science fiction. Although, if it is one of those I'd prefer it if the book has nothing whatsoever that could be in a video game. I'm really sick of orcs and goblins and elves and swords and wizards.

Let me reiterate: it has to be a page turner that's impossible to put down or I will get bored by the third chapter.

I'm open to anything, but I want to fall in love with a character. I want a book that I carry with me after I've finished it. I want a book that must be read even though I have a million other adult and juvenile distractions vying for my attention.

I want to be hooked by a story again.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Turtle before the Storm posted:

I've noticed that since I've gotten older and older I have a hard time giving a poo poo about anything happening in fiction.

I used to read fantasy and science fiction exclusively, but find now that I just can't muster much enthusiasm for escapist fiction as much as I used to.

Recommend me a book that has a great hook and is such a page turner that I won't be able to put it down. Any genre is okay but I wouldn't mind re-opening my love for fantasy and science fiction. Although, if it is one of those I'd prefer it if the book has nothing whatsoever that could be in a video game. I'm really sick of orcs and goblins and elves and swords and wizards.

Let me reiterate: it has to be a page turner that's impossible to put down or I will get bored by the third chapter.

I'm open to anything, but I want to fall in love with a character. I want a book that I carry with me after I've finished it. I want a book that must be read even though I have a million other adult and juvenile distractions vying for my attention.

I was in a similar position to you last weekend. I would read, but almost exclusively non-fiction, and almost always with the intention of getting some usable knowledge from the experience.

Then last Saturday I was recovering from a hang-over, and I couldn't stomach a glowing computer screen. I stumbled to my girlfriend's bookshelf and picked the first book that looked somewhat interesting, I had little intention of reading more than the first few pages, and plucked out The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

I read it until I fell asleep that night, and then finished it in the morning still in bed.

It's not a perfect book by any means, but I found that instead of reading with my attention divided between the story and the page numbers, chapter lengths, and trying not to let my mind wander off, I was instead completely immersed in the story and characters. Something I haven't done for a long long time, and it reminded me of all the great books I'd read as a kid.

I've been on a massive reading binge all week because of it. I feel like Ebeneezer Scrooge on Christmas morning, if Scrooge had taken the entire genre of fiction for granted instead just friends, family, and the poor.

It doesn't have to be Neil Gaiman, but I would recommend something in the young adult category. Especially if, like me, your attention span is completely shot to poo poo by years of computer games and internet message boards where even the longest posts would barely fill a page.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I recently read some books in Eric Flint's 1632 series. While the premise was insanely interesting, the actual books were, for the lack of a better word, poo poo. The writing was terrible, the plots were ridiculous, the characters were incredibly one dimensional and the author's own biases shone pretty clearly from them. The first book was tolerable, but the author actually seemed to get worse as time went on. I was sad that such a good idea was wasted on that.

So, are there any (good) books similar to this? Where somebody or a group goes back in time, and old world meets new world thinking and technology? It's a really fascinating concept.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

:words:

That's pretty vague! My best idea is Starfish by Peter Watts.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose

Theomanic posted:

That's pretty vague! My best idea is Starfish by Peter Watts.

I agree. I'm open to anything as long as it's hard to put down.

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
Can anyone recommend a book or two about the ongoing drug wars in Mexico? That an entire country could be at the mercy of drug cartels and gangs is very interesting (and depressing) to me, and I want to learn more about the subject.

Edit: Also, can anyone recommend a book about the relevancy of unions in the modern world? The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently in support of the protests in Madison, WI, (I know many teachers and nurses who would be negatively affected) but I've heard some convincing arguments from the other side. I've found in the past few days that unions are a VERY divisive issue and I want to know a bit more of what I'm talking about when I find myself in arguments about them. I'm not looking for a pro-union book; if anything I'd like a point/counterpoint or "objective" perspective.

Monocular fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 19, 2011

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Monocular posted:

Edit: Also, can anyone recommend a book about the relevancy of unions in the modern world? The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently in support of the protests in Madison, WI, (I know many teachers and nurses who would be negatively affected) but I've heard some convincing arguments from the other side. I've found in the past few days that unions are a VERY divisive issue and I want to know a bit more of what I'm talking about when I find myself in arguments about them. I'm not looking for a pro-union book; if anything I'd like a point/counterpoint or "objective" perspective.

Michael Yates's Why Unions Matter is a short book making the argument for the continued relevance of unions. It is not a balanced view, obviously, but that doesn't mean it is not objective. I found the arguments quite convincing.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

I was in a similar situation lately, having fallen out of the habit of reading regularly since starting college. I'm going to recommend about anything by Kurt Vonnegut; his books are accessible and engaging, but have real depth. Breakfast of Champions is a good place to start with him.

As for myself, I just finished reading Lolita by Nabokov, and I really enjoyed his writing. I'll probably read more of his work soon, but can anyone suggest some authors with similar styles?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I'm looking for a translation of the Bhagavad Gita. Not a literal word by word but something in the modern english that doesn't fall into the poetic terms. I know it's an epic poem but I was looking through translations today and couldn't find one that suited me.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I know this has probably been asked before (but I don't think too recently?), but does anyone have any recommendations for basic overviews of recent Middle Eastern/North African history and politics? I've been trying to follow the protests/revolutions as closely as possible, but it's difficult since I have no background knowledge whatsoever of the entire region.

I want to pick up Inside Egypt and in the meantime I've got a couple books on Al-Jazeera, but that's it. Even super broad, basic overviews are fine. Seriously, I know nothing and I want to fix that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Radio! posted:

I know this has probably been asked before (but I don't think too recently?), but does anyone have any recommendations for basic overviews of recent Middle Eastern/North African history and politics? I've been trying to follow the protests/revolutions as closely as possible, but it's difficult since I have no background knowledge whatsoever of the entire region.

I want to pick up Inside Egypt and in the meantime I've got a couple books on Al-Jazeera, but that's it. Even super broad, basic overviews are fine. Seriously, I know nothing and I want to fix that.
What Every American Should Know About The Middle East by Melissa Rossi is really good, despite the author's obnoxious liberal bias. I mean, she's not wrong about anything, really, it's just a little jarring to see how she just absolutely doesn't give a poo poo about hiding it if you prefer a little objectivity in your history. It starts off back in the very beginning when human civilization first started to form in Mesopotamia, but pretty quickly moves into more modern issues--colonialism, etc. It came out in 08 so it won't have anything about the current protests, but it might be able to put it all into a historical context for you.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 22, 2011

boonsha
Jul 22, 2009

Anybody want to make ten dollars and respond verbally?
I recently finished reading The God Delusion, and I enjoyed it a lot. The parts I enjoyed the most were when passages from the Bible were quoted and then ripped to shreds for being ridiculous and unbelievable, and the examples of God being a generally unpleasant dude.
I know in the back of the book there are some book recommendations, but there is a lot of them and I'm not sure which are what I want. Has anyone read "Ken's Guide to the Bible" or are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Can anyone recommend me some good sci fi novels about colonization? Something along the lines of Moving Mars by Greg Bear, or the TV series Outcasts. I've read the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy, but I didn't really care for it (mostly I found the human drama element of the story to be quite juvenile).

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
I've been looking through the thread, but I have to admit, I don't ready many books. In fact the only books I've read are such creative picks as Fight Club and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I didn't like them much either. I've tried a few obscure things as well as popular stuff, but it always feels like something I should do, more than something I enjoy doing, so I usually stop. This basically means, reading through the thread, that I have no clue what people are referring or comparing to, so up front; I'm sorry if I skipped something that would suit the context.

So what I'm looking for...

There's one particular way of writing, that I actually enjoy a lot, and can invoke something unique I don't get from movies or other media. It's sort of like a diary or recalled timeframe. It's hard for me to phrase properly, so I'll just throw this quote in, to specify what I mean.

I'm sorry I don't know who the poster is and can, therefore, not give him due credit.

quote:

12:05 PM eastern standard time, the Muslims have vanished. Check for yourself if you don't believe me. Where have they gone to?

There is speculation, of course. Scientists mention a cosmic storm that passed the Earth on January 20. A man says they are all in caves. Certain groups lament a faulty Rapture. A woman says he has taken their power and absorbed it into himself. She means Barack Obama. I doubt it, but he does seem somehow taller. The ground rumbles at times. The breaking news says WASHINGTON DC, with red concentric circles. I'm uneasy, but what can we do? Terror is defeated and if Obama were a Muslim, he'd be just as gone as them. There's no cause for alarm.

Within months, Barack Obama has declared a war on vague unease. It's a good idea, because frankly we could all use some peace of mind. Approval rating is higher than ever now that the Muslims had left, but I don't think we are happy yet. His eyes are shining sometimes, as a deer's eyes shine in a flashlight beam. Small fissures criss-cross the pavement. Trees are swaying, but the breeze is gone. Something is changing in our world.

Aeroplanes don't exist anymore. Scientists explain that the density of the air is too low to support their wings. Then how do we breathe?! We should have died by now, but I think we are evolving. Our bodies haven't changed, but the atmosphere..

One man says it was the rapture after all, and we have since entered the Kingdom of God. Barack is now the size of an oak tree. He sleeps outside since the rains have ceased, and his skin is thick to bullets. Now he wanders through the countryside impassively. He ignores a rural photo-op. He studies a leaf for twenty days. Only a fool would call this Heaven.

Satellites fall to earth like rain used to. No friction burns them away, so we trudge past countless flecks of solar panel and ribbons of golden cloth. It's a silent car crash every few hours, though cars themselves no longer run. No oxygen remains to ignite their fuel. Obama strides across the landscape, taller than the Freedom Tower. We've given up on assassination; all men are immortal now, and guns no longer fire.

I'm starting to wish the Muslims were back.

We found them with a telescope. Images of a colony on the right side of the moon. See the parts that jut from the lower right? I think they're mosques. Soon they are visible to the naked eye, but how? Their cities are enormous. We watch them as they live and die. They have our former atmosphere; the moon is fringed with blue. "Look at how they wield their guns," writes a man. "I always said he'd take our guns away." They eat and sleep like we once did, building worthless ziggurats. We have everything we wanted, but oh how we envy their strife!

It's long been clear that Obama brought this uncomfortable perfection upon us, but I can't bring myself to blame him for it. He's reminded us all of how our lives had been discarded out of fear. I know now why he grows each day. In time, when we are ready he will reach out into space. He will raise us up in his great hand, to this new Earth that gleams like a frozen star. And if Obama does not carry us, we can climb...

It doesn't have to be thoughtful or symbolic in nature, I also enjoy more comedic material conveyed like such:

(From the thread "[blog] falling down the worlds largest staircase")

Yachting For Cups posted:

day one:

i dont ever remember going to the top, or reaching it. no elevator could reach this high. way more than 200 stories, feels more like 20,000. was i drugged? the view from the top was not as awe-inspiring as you would think. from that high, everything is so small, and surrounded by the blinding blue of day.

then i fell. i just fell backwards down the staircase. i've been falling down the stairs for i think about 4 hours now. they are carpeted, though. a nice taupe color. its hard to update on this iphone, though, because of my unstoppable falling. it's more annoying than painful. man, i'm really falling down these stairs.

Yachting For Cups posted:

i'm using this time to think about the mistakes ive made in my life. mistakes such as falling down the world's largest staircase.

I don't know if there's anything written like this, or and audience for it. I suppose it might be hard to convey enough like this to fill a book, but what do I know. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: Great suggestions so far! Gun Seller, Raw Shark Texts, Survivor and Sum, have all caught my attention, and a friend has Iain's "Use Of Weapons" (I think it was called) so I'll see where I stand on that. You're probably right about the immediacy, I like quick and to the point structures, probably because it's so different from how I write. House of Leaves might be interesting, but looking around it looks like the format in some places is just going to piss me off instead. Don't worry about the book being long though, I read a lot, but it's university related sociological texts (Also long and confusing sentences :sigh:).

Free Weedlord fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 23, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't know about that first one (seriously :wtc: was that) but your second example reminded me a lot of Hugh Laurie's book The Gun Seller, which is a pretty funny parody of spy novels. I'm not a huge humor-book fan, but I thought Gun Seller was hilarious.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Free Weedlord posted:

I've been looking through the thread, but I have to admit, I don't ready many books. In fact the only books I've read are such creative picks as Fight Club and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I didn't like them much either. I've tried a few obscure things as well as popular stuff, but it always feels like something I should do, more than something I enjoy doing, so I usually stop. This basically means, reading through the thread, that I have no clue what people are referring or comparing to, so up front; I'm sorry if I skipped something that would suit the context.

You might like House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, though it's a long read so it might be too much if you're not a big reader. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall has that sense of immediacy you seem to like. If you liked Fight Club, perhaps try Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. I also think you might like Bret Easton Ellis and Iain Banks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Free Weedlord posted:

So what I'm looking for...

I don't know if there's anything written like this, or and audience for it. I suppose it might be hard to convey enough like this to fill a book, but what do I know. Thanks for any suggestions.

the story about falling down the stairs reminded me of David Eagleman's Sum: Forty Tales From the Afterlives

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Radio!, I would recommend A Brief History of The Middle East. From what I read before picking it up, it's quite balanced, and so far it's lived up to that (as well as I can judge.. not knowing a great deal about Mideast history)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I've been guilty of not reading in years and I used to be a huge reader in middle/high school and it's kind of been depressing me lately so I've decided I'm going to start reading some H.P. Lovecraft (among one or two other things) as I've never touched it and I feel there is something wrong with me for having not, can anyone recommend a good starting point/book?