Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My amazon free tier just expired. Will be interesting to see how much I will have to pay. I had been going for a year only paying a couple bucks a month for a micro instance, RDS for database, memcache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yeah they still haven't touched my cancellation requests. I trust they won't say I owe them the 3 invoices and try to take me to court, as they can frankly go gently caress themselves if they do!

I'll persevere with Dreamhost and ask for a server move, as at least their support team are highly responsive, helpful and open about things. If JPC are good, I haven't seen any of it!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Anyone got good guides on setting up a paid SSL certificate on a VPS (Apache, Ubuntu 10) that's running several virtual hosts? From various scattered tutorials I can sort of figure out the generation of the certificate files, placing them and sort-of pointing a VirtualHost at them, but every time I've tried it either doesn't work at all or kills my Apache server, so I don't really want to do more experimentation until I know for sure what I'm doing. If anyone has any good guides (or can write one) for basically a start to finish tutorial for this I'd appreciate it!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Anyone got good guides on setting up a paid SSL certificate on a VPS (Apache, Ubuntu 10) that's running several virtual hosts? From various scattered tutorials I can sort of figure out the generation of the certificate files, placing them and sort-of pointing a VirtualHost at them, but every time I've tried it either doesn't work at all or kills my Apache server, so I don't really want to do more experimentation until I know for sure what I'm doing. If anyone has any good guides (or can write one) for basically a start to finish tutorial for this I'd appreciate it!

Have you tried the old trustworthy google yet?
https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+apache+ssl+certificate+install

Seems there are several results that should be helpful.

Your certificate provider will tell you how to generate the CSR for your OS and software. The process isn't that difficult.
Why not tell us what you've done so far and we can help fill in the blanks.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

Your certificate provider will tell you how to generate the CSR for your OS and software. The process isn't that difficult.
Why not tell us what you've done so far and we can help fill in the blanks.
So I can generate all the various certificates and keys and all those fun files. My problem comes in where to place them. Right now my server is set up so that each virtualhost has its own file (rather than all virtualhosts defined in a single file, which I guess is a thing), and a big thing I'm getting stuck on is when creating the VirtualHost for the SSL, do I start with <VirtualHost *:443> or <VirtualHost 12.34.56.789:443>? Also, do I create a separate file for the SSL virtualhost, or can I place it in the same file in which I define the normal virtualhost?

Also, if I have a "multi-domain" SSL certificate (I think it has a different name that's more technical) will that only work for domains on the same IP? So if I have two servers with two different IPs, do I need different (perhaps multi-domain) SSL certificates for each?

Also also, the way to test it is to just try going to https://examplesite.com right? If it works it'll just work everywhere?

I swear, if there were a help line where I could call, pay money, and get step by step instructions with some of this stuff I would totally use it. System admin work is much less fun that programming :-/

(Also, DarkLotus, I showed my graphic designer the new-ish lithiumhosting site design and he just about creamed his pants. So kudos!)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

:words:

(Also, DarkLotus, I showed my graphic designer the new-ish lithiumhosting site design and he just about creamed his pants. So kudos!)
Here's a quick example for Apache that I use on a dev server. And thanks for the feedback on the design, I'll pass that along to the designer.

code:
NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName somedomain.com
        ServerAlias www.somedomain.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com
        <Directory /var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>

ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.com
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/somedomain.com-access.log combined
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/somedomain.com-error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerName somedomain.com
        ServerAlias www.somedomain.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com

<Directory /var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>

SSLEngine ON
        SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/somedomain.com.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/certs/somedomain.com.key

ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.com
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/somedomain.com_ssl-access.log combined
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/somedomain.com_ssl-error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit, alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn
</VirtualHost>

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

Here's a quick example for Apache that I use on a dev server. And thanks for the feedback on the design, I'll pass that along to the designer.
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks.

Now if I could only figure out why my smtp ports are still being blocked...

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

This is exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks.

Now if I could only figure out why my smtp ports are still being blocked...

Check iptables or ufw and see if they are blocked. If all else fails, disable both for troubleshooting.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

Check iptables or ufw and see if they are blocked. If all else fails, disable both for troubleshooting.

evol262 posted:

Per-vhost.
code:
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
    php_admin_value sendmail_path "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f [email]wordpress@fq.dn[/email]"
</IfModule>
evol262's solution finally worked for me (after a few other tweaks, including simply opening ports and not being a dumbass about it). Phew. Thanks DarkLotus and evol262!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have a website coding question and I didn't know where else to post it. I don't even necessarily want the code or how to do it, but just pointed in the right direction:

I want to be able to put a timed flash ad to load before the target page loads. Basically, A banner (maybe even a moving, animated flash ad) to load for 30 seconds before then letting the actual page load.

Even if someone could just tell me what the term used for this kind of element is.

And let me just say preemptively that I'm not some malware popup ad coder, I just had a client express interest in purchasing this kind of ad and I want to be able to offer it to them and others in the future.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gozinbulx posted:

I have a website coding question and I didn't know where else to post it. I don't even necessarily want the code or how to do it, but just pointed in the right direction:

I want to be able to put a timed flash ad to load before the target page loads. Basically, A banner (maybe even a moving, animated flash ad) to load for 30 seconds before then letting the actual page load.

Even if someone could just tell me what the term used for this kind of element is.

And let me just say preemptively that I'm not some malware popup ad coder, I just had a client express interest in purchasing this kind of ad and I want to be able to offer it to them and others in the future.

Try the web development questions thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718078

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Yeesh. I'm starting to think I bit off more than I could chew in thinking that I could do system admin stuff on the side while I primarily do website development. Time to look for a webhost that can do some of this stuff for me, I suppose?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Yeesh. I'm starting to think I bit off more than I could chew in thinking that I could do system admin stuff on the side while I primarily do website development. Time to look for a webhost that can do some of this stuff for me, I suppose?
Common refrain of webdevs who think administration is easy, really. Don't pay a webhost. Use Openshift or another PaaS instead (Heroku, AppEngine, whatever -- I just like OpenShift best)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Is there any hosting out there that I could use for hosting random screenshots/gifs/photos I've taken that:

1) Doesn't require a frontend website
2) Would let me keep my current domain
3) Doesn't have a tiny amount of bandwith per month
4) Has 5GB minimum storage?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
A VPS if you know a little Linux

https://clientarea.ramnode.com/cart.php?carttpl=cvz

(roughly) ~$16/year with coupon code VPSB35, or ~$14/y with coupon AWESOME1 for the 128mb Ram/50GB disk/ 500GB transfer a month

128mb RAM isn't a lot but it's fine for a little ftpd + apache or nginx install for hosting simple static poo poo like images

text editor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 15, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I know nothing of Linux other than it exists :downs: What all is involved?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Just use imgur.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there any hosting out there that I could use for hosting random screenshots/gifs/photos I've taken that:

1) Doesn't require a frontend website
2) Would let me keep my current domain
3) Doesn't have a tiny amount of bandwith per month
4) Has 5GB minimum storage?

I think all of the goon-run shared hosts on the first page would meet your requirements.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

optikalus posted:

I think all of the goon-run shared hosts on the first page would meet your requirements.

Most shared hosts have a policy about using your hosting as a file dump. Make sure you read the TOS before you sign up.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

Most shared hosts have a policy about using your hosting as a file dump. Make sure you read the TOS before you sign up.

Most shared hosts don't care, if I were one I would much rather someone be using their space on static files than on a CPU and memory bound intensive web application.

The places that do care generally ban image hosts that let anyone upload, or offer "unlimited disk"

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

Most shared hosts don't care, if I were one I would much rather someone be using their space on static files than on a CPU and memory bound intensive web application.

The places that do care generally ban image hosts that let anyone upload, or offer "unlimited disk"

HostGator, BlueHost, A2Hosting, Lithium Hosting and ASmallOrange all have similar policies regarding storing files on a shared hosting plan. Some have stricter penalties than others, like immediate termination upon discovery without prior notice.

It's just always a good idea to check the ToS and AUP prior to signing up as all hosts have different rules.

The problem with "unlimited", "no limit" and "unmetered" is that people have a tendency to misunderstand what it truly means. Instead of imposing a limit of 2GB or 10GB of storage or bandwidth or whatever. We take away the worry of hosting with a limit. You're allowed to host your wordpress blog with cache files and uploads and whatever. You don't have to worry about it growing to 10GB over 5 years and having to prune old posts and data. Any host with unlimited plans should have a clause in the TOS that explains it in an easy to understand way.

The terms "unlimited" and "unmetered" are defined by our experience with similarly situated customers. This means that your use of our resources may not exceed that of similarly situated customers.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

It's not very hard to understand linux. getting a cheap vps is an easy way to learn how to run a linux server because if you break it all you have to do is reinstall the OS through the control panel provided by your host. All you need to do is understand how to navigate the command line, understand how to setup an ftp server (I like vsftpd personally) and how to control apache2 and get it working with a domain which isn't hard at all. I've never really touched nginx but I have a feeling it isn't terribly difficult.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am looking for somewhere to ftp my website backup files too. They wont be large or particularly frequent but risking shared hosting and no external backups is a recipe for disaster.

I was using a NAS drive running a ftp client but dont have it anymore. Is a cheap VPS what I am after?

Hmm Ramnode "were attacked with a zero day SolusVM exploit early this morning" link http://ramnode.com/solusvmexploit.html

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I am looking for somewhere to ftp my website backup files too. They wont be large or particularly frequent but risking shared hosting and no external backups is a recipe for disaster.

I was using a NAS drive running a ftp client but dont have it anymore. Is a cheap VPS what I am after?

Hmm Ramnode "were attacked with a zero day SolusVM exploit early this morning" link http://ramnode.com/solusvmexploit.html

How much data do you have?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

DNova posted:

How much data do you have?

Going to be between 15gb and 30gb

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

thegasman2000 posted:

Going to be between 15gb and 30gb

Just put them on S3.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

evol262 posted:

Just put them on S3.

This looks nice, might find a free alternative with a little searching.
http://www.cpanelbackupscript.com/

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DarkLotus posted:

This looks nice, might find a free alternative with a little searching.
http://www.cpanelbackupscript.com/

Like a trivial script and a cronjob?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

evol262 posted:

Like a trivial script and a cronjob?

Something like that works too, just need to add the S3 stuff.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
update on this... Went with http://www.reposit.co.uk/ which resells livedrive and the briefcase plan allows FTP uploads. Its useful as I can now stop using dropbox on my phone too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DarkLotus posted:

Something like that works too, just need to add the S3 stuff.

s3cmd is the standard, and it's open-source

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Yup, a bunch of providers were. Luckily the only thing of value in the Solus database is user emails, but it did mean VMs were offline for awhile

...and apparently another 3 Solus 0days and going to be released soon, so many of my Solus-based providers (Prometeus, RamNode, WeServIT, and Torqhost) have blocked access to their control panels preemptively.

On the upside, RamNode had backups of both my VMs, and the script kiddie who ran the exploit was too dumb to purge the logs, so he's been identified

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

text editor posted:

On the upside, RamNode had backups of both my VMs, and the script kiddie who ran the exploit was too dumb to purge the logs, so he's been identified

Ironically enough, it was Robert Clarke, owner of ServerCrate :tinfoil:

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

eightysixed posted:

Trying to take out the competition? What a douche.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Guess I dodged a bullet - was planning to move from linode to ramnode after the whole customer data thing.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
SolusVM has addressed the rumor of other 0Days...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

eightysixed posted:

There's evidence that he tried it against several hosts, including BuyVM, who don't even run Solus

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

text editor posted:

There's evidence that he tried it against several hosts, including BuyVM, who don't even run Solus

Where can I read about this?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

DNova posted:

Where can I read about this?

http://vpsboard.com/topic/733-ramnode-down/?p=10588

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I give it less than 10% chance of any criminal proceedings happening against that little boy.