Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

jwh posted:

Here you go. Long story short, just replace the second 12AX7. You'll be back up and running, and won't have to worry about biasing or anything.

Someone correct me if I say anything incorrect in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsVh35Vgds

I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed and humbled that you'd take time to make a video and try to make me understand the technical specifications involved! Thanks a lot! I'm going to swing by the store tomorrow and pick up a new 12AX7 if they have one like the kits ones, otherwise I might just get whatever's at hand. Thanks again!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Any time, glad to help.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So I'm in the market for a new amp, head and cab combo preferred. I have a piece of poo poo Crate flexwave 120 that is absolutely terrible. What I'm looking for is something with JCM style cleans but a high gain setting as well(adding a pedal is fine) Something around the 750 range for a tube head and whatever the cab price is. I always thought the Mesa Mark IV were awesome but is there anything better out there?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I love the Traynor iron horse. It's a great circuit, and it'll do everything you ask for, then some. Except for Fender style reverb. You're on your own in that respect.

Five hundred for the head, figure two-fifty for a Chinese Celestion loaded cab, you'd be good to go.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I've had my Jet City 22H for about two years now. I've been using my 11rack setup mainly, but started playing back on the head/cab in the past few days.

Honestly, it's a pretty drat nice little head if you don't want to break the bank. Two channels, effects loop, and a couple output options for how you want to power your cabinet. No on board reverb though.

I've had zero issues with mine and it was a used model from iostream. Mated to my V30 loaded cabinets, I'm pretty sold on the sounds it makes.

I only thought of it as you mentioned "JCM cleans" rather than a Fender clean, so I thought you wouldn't mind a little grit in your clean. The amp does produce a pretty clean sound, but you're not getting a Twin Reverb sparkle from it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
What's the story on a Vox DA5? I sold my Vypyr 15w before I moved and I'm looking to pick up another bedroom amp. These pretty good?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Quite A Tool posted:

What's the story on a Vox DA5? I sold my Vypyr 15w before I moved and I'm looking to pick up another bedroom amp. These pretty good?

I have one and like it. It's a tiny bedroom amp. I have it in half watt mode and it still works just fine. The different voicings are overall pretty good and the digital effects sound fine. I don't think they sell them new anymore, though.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The newer version is the Mini 5 Rhythm. It's got less versatility in terms of effects, but it trades it off in exchange for a built in drum machine. Though it did have a cult following before the Mini 5 came out, so I'd say it's a good bet.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Input jack on my YCV80 is hosed (noisy, crackling, no volume cut yet but it's only a matter of time). How complicated is that to fix?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Input jack on my YCV80 is hosed (noisy, crackling, no volume cut yet but it's only a matter of time). How complicated is that to fix?

some Deoxit should just about fix it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So the dude with the DA5 never got back to me, and now I'm considering trying to find a deal on a Blackstar HT1. In the future I'd like play with other people but I'll probably just get another amp for that. I totally can't explain why I want one except it seems pretty frickin rad.

There's another 15w Vypyr on Craigslist but I really want to get something different this time around.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 6, 2015

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What are the new VHT amps like? They sound good in demos but apparently they're Chinese made now? How's the reliability?

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

jwh posted:

Any time, glad to help.

Changed the tube, but no to no avail. I guess it has to go to a tech. Thanks for your help anyway!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We ended up getting the bassman 400, by the way. Fantastic tone, very loud. He accidentally had the "active" button pushed the first half of practice which made the red preamp clip light come on all the time, but otherwise it performed fantastic. It stayed very cool!

Even under normal conditions the yellow preamp clip light comes on a lot though. He plays a p-bass with a pick and tons of attack and sets his tone to be very trebely - is this going to be a long term damage situation?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We ended up getting the bassman 400, by the way. Fantastic tone, very loud. He accidentally had the "active" button pushed the first half of practice which made the red preamp clip light come on all the time, but otherwise it performed fantastic. It stayed very cool!

Even under normal conditions the yellow preamp clip light comes on a lot though. He plays a p-bass with a pick and tons of attack and sets his tone to be very trebely - is this going to be a long term damage situation?

only reach chance of hurting anything is the speakers. Good news is bass speakers are made to take a beating, especially if its the treble he is pushing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fantastic then. Thanks!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

syntaxfunction posted:

What are the new VHT amps like? They sound good in demos but apparently they're Chinese made now? How's the reliability?

I would love someone to answer this as well since the Special 6 Ultra is basically exactly what I'm looking for feature wise and after playing the Special 6 and 12/20 (no local stores carries the 6 Ultra) I really like the voicing they have going for them. The fact that it's a non PCB amp that's 1/2 the cost of the AC4HW with way more features makes it really interesting as an amp I can mod/upgrade the gently caress out of which is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Been itching for a fun practice/mess around/couch amp and I'm suddenly very interested in the Yamaha THR10 series. Specifically the high gain model. The demos sound real solid and it's got everything I could ask for in a practice amp. The Micro Terror is half the price though that doesn't REALLY matter to me but the Yamaha seems to have so much more that I want. The direct seems to sound good and I've heard the headphone out is great as well. What's the goon opinion? Good amp? Bad amp? Anything I should know before getting settled on eventually owning one?

e: I guess there's no real direct but recording with it should still be totally doable.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 14, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The THR series is really, really good. Probably the best tiny practice amp you can get.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Speaking of which, has anyone tried a Quilter?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

As far as little practise amps go I'm having a lot of fun with the blackstar HT1

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

The THR series is really, really good. Probably the best tiny practice amp you can get.

I'm sold. Listened to a bunch of demos, mic'd and usb recording and the tones are fantastic. Features are what I need, tuner apparently works great. My girlfriend was asking about the specifics for my birthday coming up so heck yes I'm all set.

I like how they look like old war radios. That + the green obviously makes them sound better.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The Micro Terror is great just because it's a normal head that can be plugged into just about anything and drive it. It really doesn't have much in the way of sound design options though, so even though I love mine, I can't recommend the thing for just practice amp anymore. It's really drat loud and a single tone control just isn't enough without running a pedal board into it for controls. I'm currently experimenting with gutting a little 6 inch no name practice amp to turn into a cab for mine, the 12 inch Veteran I'm running with it right now is just too much for trying to practice in an apartment. Sounds amazing when I can actually get away with bringing it up to power through.

I'm not entirely sure what actually gives an amp it's sound, but if I'm correct, changing out the single tube in the preamp on that little guy would change it's output sound significantly, right? Particularly the gain sound? I'm not planning on doing anything with it right now, but I'm curious if that would actually do anything or if it'd just make it sound bad because it's no longer the part that's being called for in specs.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

pointlessone posted:

The Micro Terror is great just because it's a normal head that can be plugged into just about anything and drive it. It really doesn't have much in the way of sound design options though, so even though I love mine, I can't recommend the thing for just practice amp anymore. It's really drat loud and a single tone control just isn't enough without running a pedal board into it for controls. I'm currently experimenting with gutting a little 6 inch no name practice amp to turn into a cab for mine, the 12 inch Veteran I'm running with it right now is just too much for trying to practice in an apartment. Sounds amazing when I can actually get away with bringing it up to power through.

I'm not entirely sure what actually gives an amp it's sound, but if I'm correct, changing out the single tube in the preamp on that little guy would change it's output sound significantly, right? Particularly the gain sound? I'm not planning on doing anything with it right now, but I'm curious if that would actually do anything or if it'd just make it sound bad because it's no longer the part that's being called for in specs.

You could certainly try to put in a 12ay or 12au7. Both of them should give you a fair amount less gain.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I was recently given a Squire 15 amp that is probably 20 years old at least, and it has a few issues that I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight to. It was cutting in and out until I pushed down hard on the treble knob, so I'm guessing there's a loose connection there that I should look into fixing. It also has a loud hum to it whether or not something is plugged in. Is that related to the bad connection, or would it be due to something else like poor shielding?

Also, it has a both a volume and master control, which both seem to adjust the volume. Any idea what the difference between the two are?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Now I need a speaker cab recommendation. I've been playing through an ampeg v4 4x12 forever, and I love it. However, it's really big, extremely heavy, keeps breaking casters, and the input on it is a male 4 pin xlr which is impossible to find cables for. I need something very loud, very sturdy, very light, that can be loaded in and out of vans a thousand times, and with a 1/4 input. Also it needs to be cheap. My head is a Sunn beta lead, for reference.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
THR talk has made me wonder. I live in a shitbox with shitbox windows that leaks noise to an absurd degree (if you walk by my house I can hear your normal volume conversations on the street), such that my neighbors get cranky every time I play any amp in my house. As a result, I assume I have to use headphones. Would I be gaining anything by getting a practice amp with headphone out versus using Amplitube (I already have a decent interface and Amplitube and all that)? I can't think of any reason why that would be, but figured I should check.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Professor Science posted:

THR talk has made me wonder. I live in a shitbox with shitbox windows that leaks noise to an absurd degree (if you walk by my house I can hear your normal volume conversations on the street), such that my neighbors get cranky every time I play any amp in my house. As a result, I assume I have to use headphones. Would I be gaining anything by getting a practice amp with headphone out versus using Amplitube (I already have a decent interface and Amplitube and all that)? I can't think of any reason why that would be, but figured I should check.

I'm one of the THR people, I love that little thing. I also have a setup on the computer, interface and whatnot. For purposes of practice, I'd argue the amplifier is more convenient. I leave mine right by my desk, plugged in, settings already set. I want to play? I reach over and flick a switch, and it's ready to go by the time I have the guitar in my lap. Might not even need headphones with something like that, they don't really loose oomph if you turn them way down. The only weird bit about not using headphones with a turned down THR is occasionally hearing the physical guitar alongside the amp. Could just stick with Amplitube though if you're patient enough to wait for boot-up and whatnot.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

pointlessone posted:

The tube would affect the gain structure. The most significant change would probably be the speaker, though. Next to YOUR FINGERS it has the most immediate effect on your tonez

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Declan MacManus posted:

The tube would affect the gain structure. The most significant change would probably be the speaker, though. Next to YOUR FINGERS it has the most immediate effect on your tonez

Neat! Also, in nearly related news, I was successful in gutting out that little mini amp, and can actually use volume/gain greater than 2 on my micro now at night without rattling the apartment complex. The little guy doesn't sound amazing by any means, but it's nice that the Orange dirt is able to come out.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Now I need a speaker cab recommendation. I've been playing through an ampeg v4 4x12 forever, and I love it. However, it's really big, extremely heavy, keeps breaking casters, and the input on it is a male 4 pin xlr which is impossible to find cables for. I need something very loud, very sturdy, very light, that can be loaded in and out of vans a thousand times, and with a 1/4 input. Also it needs to be cheap. My head is a Sunn beta lead, for reference.

an oversized 212 would what I would be looking for. You can find some second hand avatars pretty cheap, how much are you looking to spend? And what sort of speaker set up are you looking for in particular? If you wanted you could pretty easily replace the 4pin input with a 1/4 if you wanted to. would be cheaper than one of those cables, thats for sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Could also do a lot worse than an Orange 212 or anything similar with V30s.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could also do a lot worse than an Orange 212 or anything similar with V30s.

Yeah kinda where I was going with the avatar. Orange is of course awesome but people usually want a poo poo ton of money for them used ~400. Avatars you can find for almost half in my experience.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Will my sunn blow up a 2x12?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Will my sunn blow up a 2x12?

which sunn? and probably not, if you are worried about it you can either put some higher wattage guitar speakers in it or some bass speakers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Beta lead.

I mean, I'm looking at these Avatar cabs, and they look like just the thing, and I see that I can get one built with different speakers, but I don't want to blow them you see.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 16, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beta lead.

I mean, I'm looking at these Avatar cabs, and they look like just the thing, and I see that I can get one built with different speakers, but I don't want to blow them you see.

I think the beta lead is ~200w? which a lot of the speakers tend to be 60-75 so maybe go with a bit higher wattage speakers if you plan on cranking it. ~100 a piece should be able to handle it as long as you are not cranking the bass but ymmv

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You could probably find a used 2x10 bass cab.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Would that totally screw up tone? Honestly I have no idea how that works. I've pretty much only played through 1x12 and 1x10 combos and then 4x12 cabs with heads my whole life.

Alternatively, are there any good lightweight 4x12 cabs that are small? One of the biggest problems with the Ampeg, besides its colossal weight, is that its physically very big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Would that totally screw up tone? Honestly I have no idea how that works. I've pretty much only played through 1x12 and 1x10 combos and then 4x12 cabs with heads my whole life.

Alternatively, are there any good lightweight 4x12 cabs that are small? One of the biggest problems with the Ampeg, besides its colossal weight, is that its physically very big.

which ampeg cab are you talking about? cause if I remember the Ampeg v4 cab I pretty compact actually.

Marshall makes a pretty compact 412 in their mg series