Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

So how about those new Pioneer/Rane mixers and that new Serato DJ 1.5.

I dont understand what its even about. Why is it so new and different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

oredun posted:

I think the 64 is incremental (with some layout changes mostly) and the 900 just incorporates the Serato hardware.. without cue buttons, which is weird?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

oredun posted:

They're basically merging the capability of Serato DJ to work with controllers with Serato Scratch Live (which can't) into one program. It's good IMO, I never understood why they were two different programs in the first place.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

keevo posted:

I never understood why they were two different programs in the first place.

The Rane exclusivity agreement.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
So.....

http://imgur.com/a/ONqBW#3

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I would have just bought some nice new equipment.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Imagine how stupid you would feel if you got a DJM-500 tatted on your back.

Thats how hes gonna feel in 5 years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love how the first picture with the obviously ripped from a catalogue trace looks far better due to the angle of the mixer being interesting and the end result being so lovely and boring. Also why isn't it in the centre of his back?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Just noticed that all the gain knobs are maxed all the way out and the channel levels are redlining

:laffo:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

Just noticed that all the gain knobs are maxed all the way out and the channel levels are redlining

accurate

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

vanilla slimfast posted:

To be fair, that is how most dj's who run pioneer mixers use them.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

To be fair, that is how most dj's who run pioneer mixers use them.

You wouldn't drive a Ferrari slow would you?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

But this one goes up to eleven!

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I'm trying to figure out what he was thinking when he decided to get it. I guess tattoos usually have some sort of special meaning for the person wearing them. "heh, u think I would have a spine or heart and lungs in my thoracic cavity but i am such a good DJ i have old pioneer hardware up in there"?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

oredun posted:

You wouldn't drive a Ferrari slow would you?

I paid for these loving red LEDs, I'll sure as gently caress light them up when I want to god damnit!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
So I got to play at a real party at Burning Man. 5pmish, hot afternoon, the DJ before me was playing some progressive house and smoking hookah. The bar was serving drinks to passer-bys, and a dozen or so people were hanging out at the bar just doing the typical burning man bullshitting.
At 6ish pm, I took over and about halfway through, I realize that the amount of people at the bar and hanging out has at least tripled. poo poo, there's even a handful of people in front of me, dancing!
What a feeling, even if it was a very small scale. I've got a lot to learn, but man I love DJing!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Alfajor posted:

I've got a lot to learn, but man I love DJing!

Next step is a tattoo!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

epalm posted:

Next step is a tattoo!

Yea, get like a S2 or S4 tatted on, those things are practically timeless.

But really, im glad you had a great time, people always ask me if i get stressed with girls dancing everywhere on stage and people trying to stuff drinks in my face and hanging all over my equipment, but I always tell them its when im happiest and its my favorite thing to do in the whole world because i just love seeing so many people having such a great time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nah if you want something tattooed it's gotta be this thing right here...

http://vimeo.com/72153180

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

88h88 posted:

Nah if you want something tattooed it's gotta be this thing right here...

http://vimeo.com/72153180

Tell me this is a loving parody video.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

roboshit posted:

Tell me this is a loving parody video.

Holy poo poo it's a real thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's a real product but that ad has to be a joke...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Anybody with Traktor have experience with Novation Dicers? I have a pair and I'm wondering if it's possible to map them to decks 3/4.

EDIT: To clarify, the installation specifically mentions that the Dicers default to 1/2, but I'm wondering if there's a workaround (like an existing .tsi file) short of hard mapping them myself.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 11, 2013

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

88h88 posted:

It's a real product but that ad has to be a joke...

Luckily someone made this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ioZUfGGBBA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Finally a piece of kit I can afford!

As much as I think Deadmau5 can be an uptight arsehole sometimes this exchange made me laugh http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/11/deadmau5-flo-rida-beamz-by-flo_n_3909260.html

But seriously though, Beamz just looks like it's a midi controller but with only 4 actions. Why not just buy a Korg Nanopad and have so many more options whilst looking like less of a twat?

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

"You should be happy because we are teaching DJs how to mix without pushing buttons"? :psyduck:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxj9-0NZc9k

roboshit fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 12, 2013

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=565710113486098&set=a.116701098387004.18914.104746812915766&type=1

I'm pretty sure Beamz might replace CDJs.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
http://www.wunderground.ie/steve-aoki-shocks-edm-community-by-admitting-that-he-is-not-an-actual-dj/

quote:

Fans of US “DJ” Steve Aoki are in a state of shock after it emerged that Mr. Aoki is in fact a performance artist who has been engaged in a finely orchestrated and prolonged performance art piece that has encapsulated every aspect of his life.

The news emerged after it was revealed that Mr. Aoki has been awarded with a Special Achievement Award from the American Council of Performing Arts (A.C.P.A.) for the project which has taken up almost the entirety of Mr. Aoki’s adult life.

Speaking for the first time about the revelations, Mr. Aoki, pictured receiving his award from professional egoist, Kanye West, sought to explain the motivation behind the project.

“I wanted to explore the fickle nature of popular music fads by devising a public and onstage persona that could push the bounds of ridiculous behaviour to an extreme and still manage to get away with it.”

“For me it’s about trying to be as absurd and laughable as possible without any of the audience being aware of, or being willfully ignorant of, the sheer absurdity of what they’re witnessing. The EDM explosion for me was the perfect vehicle to explore that idea because it seemed like that audience were capable of mindlessly accepting the most crass gimmicks and personalities,” explained Aoki.

“The show and my life as “DJ” Steve Aoki has evolved over the years, ” he explained. “I’ve had to live every waking moment as this guy without ever breaking character. That’s always been the toughest part, seeing myself become this clown and never being able to say ‘Hey guys, it’s not real’.”

“I kept adding more and more unnecessary vulgarity to the show, bright flashing lights, topless performances, silly hair, Indian headdresses, trampolines. I kept thinking that at any moment people would realise that this was no longer dance music but that it was an absurdist pantomine and the game would be up. But no-one has ever even suspected.”

“Even when I started throwing cake into the audience, which I intended as a not-so-subtle reference to the circus that my show had become, the audience just lapped it up. No-one thought to themselves ‘Oh look, he’s started throwing cakes into people’s faces like a loving clown, surely this can’t be legitimate dance music?’.”

Spokesman for the A.C.P.A., Arnold Trumball, described his admiration for Aoki’s project, “It’s a tour-de-force in method acting. He’s been living as this consciously asinine DJ for the last 15 years without ever breaking character. Can you imagine living every waking moment as the DJ character Steve Aoki? Churning out poo poo track after poo poo track. Attending poo poo gig after poo poo gig?” questioned Trumball. “Not being able to hold your hands up to even your closest friends and admit ‘my career as a DJ is an absurd joke’. That’s real dedication to your art.”

Satire or not? You decide

e: vv no poo poo why do you think I spoiler'ed it. :wtc:

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 15, 2013

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

:rolleyes:

Parody site, dude

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Buying a decent used or b stock mixer, like an A&H Xone 42 or Pioneer DJM-750... Bad idea or the worst idea? I love my used turntables and CDJ but am scared of used mixers for some reason.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Wask posted:

Buying a decent used or b stock mixer, like an A&H Xone 42 or Pioneer DJM-750... Bad idea or the worst idea? I love my used turntables and CDJ but am scared of used mixers for some reason.

The A&H xone 22/42 are total hunks of junk. They are made more cheaply than a behringer mixer, and they cost a whole lot more. The faders are among the worst ive ever used.

I love pioneer, and I buy everything pioneer i can. They make excellent easy to use products that last, and its probably why everyones quit using A&H products in clubs and use DJMs now. The djm 750 looks like the jam, I had a 700 and really liked it a lot, i kinda wish i never sold it. I have a DJM T1 now and its great except for traktor loving up every now and then.

In my experience, if you buy a working pioneer product, its usually continues to work.

Also, the nuo series of mixers are nice, and when used, they are REALLY cheap(i just bought a nuo 3 for $100).

Also, A&H's service department is a sorry piece of poo poo. They claimed that faders going out within a month of purchase was totally normal and falls under the uncovered catagory of "normal wear and tear" and actually offered to sell me $10 faders for $160 a piece, which means i could buy a whole new mixer for less than what was broken(an up fader AND a crossfader). Mind you, that was the 3rd xone in a row to break, and they told me it was user error so in addition to the wear and tear thing there was nothing they could do. And keep in mind, ive never had a mixer break, except for 3 xones within less than a year.(so its not user error you fucks)

As you can tell, im not an A&H fan. Their older mixers were designed by idiots, and their new ones were produced by idiots. Even as much as i like their FOH mixers, they still have the stupidest features so i cant really recommend anything A&H unless you very specifically want that product.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I like the Xone 42 ok but I would go for a 62 or a 92 over that one just because I like having four channels. And it doesn't have assignable channels for the filter which is a bit limiting if you like to use the filters to mix instead of the EQs. I don't think I've played on the Pioneer 750 but I'm guessing it's the stripped down 2-channel equivalent of the 900?

oredun posted:

As you can tell, im not an A&H fan.

NO WAY! :allears:

In all seriousness though, the rule of thumb for buying a used mixer is to make sure you can test it first. Make sure all channels work, all faders and knobs are crackle free, and it is generally physically in good appearance (e.g. if it has lots of dings/scratches/stains/etc it hasn't been well cared for and likely has underlying issues)

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Wask posted:

If you're thinking Pioneer, check out their refurbished stuff. They have amazing deals. I bought a refurbished DJM 600 a couple years ago for like $400 and sold it for $500 a while back.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Thanks for the mixer opinions everyone. Ecler Nuo 3.0 or 4.0 was the third mixer on my list but I've never actually used an Ecler before. I know DJMs are still the most common club mixers around so I'll look into a refurb for sure and find an Ecler to look at this weekend.

I'm in the midst or revamping my setup so it's not straight out of 1997 (3x SL1200s, vinyl only, Vestax mixer from the dawn of time). Ultimate goal is to get used to the common gear out there, ultimately play out regularly again someday, and have a blast in the process:

Decent 3-4 channel mixer
1x SL1200 turntable
1x CDJ-900
Traktor Kontrol X1 for decks 3&4 (loops, effects, shenanigans)
Traktor A6 audio interface
Macbook Pro
Running Traktor Scratch Pro

I spent at least 7 hours this weekend browsing small MIDI controllers. Some of the faderfox controllers look absolutely awesome but figured I'd grab something I've at least played around with before. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Dopo posted:

If you're thinking Pioneer, check out their refurbished stuff. They have amazing deals. I bought a refurbished DJM 600 a couple years ago for like $400 and sold it for $500 a while back.

Is there a page on the Pioneer website that shows what refurbished stuff they're selling? I can only find random mixers that they're selling refurbished.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Wask posted:

Traktor Kontrol X1 for decks 3&4 (loops, effects, shenanigans)

Don't really know why you'd get an X1 instead of an F1 for this. A big board of buttons is just what you want for effects (check out Tekken's F1 mapping for that) and of course it handles remix decks flawlessly.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

keevo posted:

Is there a page on the Pioneer website that shows what refurbished stuff they're selling? I can only find random mixers that they're selling refurbished.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials/DJ+Products

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun

Dessert Rose posted:

Don't really know why you'd get an X1 instead of an F1 for this. A big board of buttons is just what you want for effects (check out Tekken's F1 mapping for that) and of course it handles remix decks flawlessly.
I'm used to playing 3 decks on a DJ mixer old school like but will be selling a couple turntables to fund my revamp. X1 looked better for full "normal" deck control with remix deck and effects as a secondary priority. F1 looks amazing for just effects. Need to screw around more first.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

I like the Xone 42 ok but I would go for a 62 or a 92 over that one just because I like having four channels. And it doesn't have assignable channels for the filter which is a bit limiting if you like to use the filters to mix instead of the EQs. I don't think I've played on the Pioneer 750 but I'm guessing it's the stripped down 2-channel equivalent of the 900?

NO WAY! :allears:

In all seriousness though, the rule of thumb for buying a used mixer is to make sure you can test it first. Make sure all channels work, all faders and knobs are crackle free, and it is generally physically in good appearance (e.g. if it has lots of dings/scratches/stains/etc it hasn't been well cared for and likely has underlying issues)

The 62 has literally the worst cueing of any mixer ive ever used. It doesnt even have a loving mix knob! I had to use the sends to cue with because i didnt have monitors and i couldnt hear poo poo. Also, 62s are fairly unreliable(4/5 ive used have been broken in some way) and are EXTREMELY old designs.

And the other problem with xones is the crossfader is completely not able to be used for quick cuts. The 62 has only two setting for its cf: bad and worse.

Edit: the djm 750 is the new djm 700, ie 4 channel baby 800/850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What's the XONE that had the gain knobs on the back of the mixer?