Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Digital Jedi posted:

That makes much more sense. And was solid ending to her character if the show continued.

I've said this before but "Rubber Room" was seriously the perfect ending to Law & Order, and it was completely unintentional. Dick Wolf claimed that NBC had promised him a shortened Season 21 (for two reasons: First, so he could beat the Gunsmoke record, second so it could lead into L&O Los Angeles in the spring), and then while they were shooting the finale, NBC reversed course and flat-out canceled the show. They didn't have any time to re-shoot or re-edit the episode -- L&O was often filming just a few weeks before airing -- and yet it ends so perfectly. The cops and the DA have a win, Van Buren gets some good news and joins the party, and you just know that in a few hours, there's going to be a call to the 27th Precinct reporting a homicide. It goes on and on and yet people live on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

If you're thinking of Red Ball, it wasn't inadvertent. They were going to sell the kid into sex trafficking.

No, definitely not that one. This had two idiots do a carjacking, notice that there was a kid in the backseat, freak out, get arrested, and insist they were not kidnappers to the cops while confessing to the carjacking.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've binge watched all of SVU this season so far. Kelli Giddish continues to be great, though her pregnancy seems really poorly written in. I guess they didn't want to do what they did with Hargitay and have her wear heavy coats, stand in front of things and then wander off for a few episodes. Best moment of the series was when we see that Rollin's dog has betrayed her, and is sitting happiily with her sister being all smug. That dog cracks me up, with his bandana thing. I've mentally dubbed him (?) 'Crime Dog', since he helped catch that stupidly overpowered criminal a few seasons ago.

I don't like SVU's habit of telling you what real life event the episode is inspired by, in case we don't get it. Like this season they tell us that the creepy reality TV family with loads of kids are "just like the Duggans!" - I think we can figure it out. Though the worst offender has to be the Chris Brown inspired episode, where Much says "he should go on a double date with Chris Brown and Rhianna!" because they think they audience can't figure out that a pop star called Caleb Bryant who beat his pop star girlfriend is meant to be a paralell to Chris Brown.

Peter Scanavino absolutely steals every scene he's in as Carisi. I'm liking this season so far.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Since this the official Law and Order thread and i've been binge watching the original series, I'll just post this here: Did anyone else like Nina Cassidy? I did and I was surprised when I found out about all the hate she seems to get. It seems like she was screwed in the beginning though since they made it clear Van Buren didn't like her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also didn't help that they constantly wrote her as a screw up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

She was written horribly and Milena Govich has all the acting ability of the poo poo my dog left in the backyard this morning. It was another case of Dick Wolf casting a pretty face, just like Elisabeth Rohm.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They never explained where Nina Cassiday went either. I'm assuming that either Van Buren put her in a portal to the Phantom Zone, a la Superman 2, or she got banished to Munch's secret island for unpopular Law and Order characters, alongside Chester Lake and Monique Jeffries.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got started on season 6 of CI.

Few things to ask/note:

Loved the eye patch that Cpt. Deakins rocks for a bit. I did not know he really had Bell's palsy and that was the reason why he had to wear it. Sad that he left the show cause I really enjoyed him.

I do like the additional of Logan and he coming back. Was there any reason why they brought him back?

Eric Bogosian is pretty cool so I like to see how he plays the role of Cpt. and dealing with Goren

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm not entirely sure but I think Logan came back because Sex and the City had ended.

Timby posted:

She was written horribly and Milena Govich has all the acting ability of the poo poo my dog left in the backyard this morning. It was another case of Dick Wolf casting a pretty face, just like Elisabeth Rohm.

I liked Rohm too. Liked all the DA's in the original L&O. Favorite Detective would have to be either Brisco or Green. Probably the best combo.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 29, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He came back because Vincent D'Onofrio was getting sick from overwork so he needed to cut back on filming. Bringing on another lead helped him out.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

OldMemes posted:

I don't like SVU's habit of telling you what real life event the episode is inspired by, in case we don't get it. Like this season they tell us that the creepy reality TV family with loads of kids are "just like the Duggans!" - I think we can figure it out.

I always thought it was a bit of covering their rear end. Like, that obvious Ann Coulter knockoff getting shot at, that doesn't mean we want the actual Ann Coulter shot! They're not even the same person! Come on now!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this? posted:

He came back because Vincent D'Onofrio was getting sick from overwork so he needed to cut back on filming. Bringing on another lead helped him out.

Not just sick, he literally had a nervous breakdown on the set. Noth was available and was still living in New York, so he was happy to take the work for a few years.

OldMemes posted:

They never explained where Nina Cassiday went either. I'm assuming that either Van Buren put her in a portal to the Phantom Zone, a la Superman 2, or she got banished to Munch's secret island for unpopular Law and Order characters, alongside Chester Lake and Monique Jeffries.

Hey, at least they explained what happened to Lake and Jeffries.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
In the CI episode "Country Crossover," does anyone happen to know if red herring #1 Gorro the bouncer is based on any real-life events? He's oddly fleshed-out for a throwaway, especially for one completely gone from the episode after he's ruled out as a perp.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Seeing as you're all watching CI try to spot the episode where one of the major characters is Peter Scaravino, eventually to play Carisi on SVU.

My husband picked it, I definitely didn't

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scaravino actually did the Texas Hat Trick by playing a role in Vanilla, Trial by Jury and CI before finally landing in SVU. If only he'd have been able to get a bit on LA.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rohm wasn't bad, she was just less charismatic than Angie Harmon.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

Not just sick, he literally had a nervous breakdown on the set. Noth was available and was still living in New York, so he was happy to take the work for a few years.

drat. That crazy. Well I'm glad Noth was able to come back and that D'Onofrio got better.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Agreed that Rohm is pretty good, especially compared to Annie Parisse.

I also love how watching the reruns after she gets written off makes it look as if the writers were seeding it. Left of McCoy on gay adoption, spousal privilege for same sex couples, hate crime enhancements, etc.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

HookShot posted:

Seeing as you're all watching CI try to spot the episode where one of the major characters is Peter Scaravino, eventually to play Carisi on SVU.

My husband picked it, I definitely didn't

There's also the CI episode where Raul Esparza played an ADA. A different one than Barba on SVU, of course. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the episode currently on WE (Bronx Cheer) and they had a card at the beginning stating how in real life the Bronx DA is totally above reproach.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Agreed that Rohm is pretty good, especially compared to Annie Parisse.

I also love how watching the reruns after she gets written off makes it look as if the writers were seeding it. Left of McCoy on gay adoption, spousal privilege for same sex couples, hate crime enhancements, etc.

"Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

"No, it's because you're a filthy hippie liberal."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I'm pretty sure Rohm gets a bad rap in large part because of that stupid line. She wasn't bad at all.

The writers taking random pot shots at Arthur Branch in seasons 18/19/20 was hilarious though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

muscles like this? posted:

Watching the episode currently on WE (Bronx Cheer) and they had a card at the beginning stating how in real life the Bronx DA is totally above reproach.

Lol he didn't even do anything illegal in the episode.

Edit: apparently the actor playing the Bronx DA in the episode also voiced David Anderson in the Mass Effect series.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

HookShot posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rohm gets a bad rap in large part because of that stupid line. She wasn't bad at all.

Y'all must be watching a different show than the one I've seen. She was terrible. Completely wooden acting, delivered lines like she was reading them off cue cards.

I've seen very little of the Parisse episodes, so I'll hold off on that comparison, but all other ADA's were miles ahead of Rohm.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: apparently the actor playing the Bronx DA in the episode also voiced David Anderson in the Mass Effect series.

Keith David makes up about 35% of all American television, film and video games.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been rewatching the early seasons lately. I love the relationship between Cerreta and Logan. :allears: I wouldn't have minded if Paul Sorvino had decided he could tough it out another year.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've been rewatching the early seasons lately. I love the relationship between Cerreta and Logan. :allears: I wouldn't have minded if Paul Sorvino had decided he could tough it out another year.

Yeah but if he stayed would we have gotten Lennie Briscoe?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm about halfway through season 6 in my watch-through of L&O and boy there is a lot of COMPUTER STUFF in the episodes.

Its 1995 and the internet is new and scary, gotta find some way to wrangle that into the plots.

I was also hoping that Fisher Stevens would show up in more episodes, but apparently it was just a one time gig.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, tech-savvy Rey Curtis showing off his "online bulletin board skills" is all kinds of precious.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rujasu posted:

Yeah, tech-savvy Rey Curtis showing off his "online bulletin board skills" is all kinds of precious.

I liked the episode where they were literally tracking down a guy posting on a BBS with this big huge antenna thing and the requisite nerd wearing headphones while listening for phone-pings or whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

I liked the episode where they were literally tracking down a guy posting on a BBS with this big huge antenna thing and the requisite nerd wearing headphones while listening for phone-pings or whatever.

And the "BBS" was a Microsoft Word document.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
It could be worse. It could have been an SVU Second Life CGI shitshow.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Turn on the Sun. So bad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

And the "BBS" was a Microsoft Word document.

This. This is the best part of that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Don't forget that McCoy is a closet FPS junkie.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat this week's SVU is cringey.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
And the preview for next week makes it seem like Benson has fallen in to the clutches of Rapists once again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fortunately I got an X-Files preview instead heh.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

drat this week's SVU is cringey.

I saw the title and went "drat this is gonna be a bad episode" and I was not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I just saw Joy and Elizabeth Rohm is really in it - I didn't recongise who she was until I checked the character she played. She's not a bad actress at all.

• Locked thread