Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Nthing the love for the metropolitan. Another cool thing about it is that you can buy a cheapy pilot plumix and toss the italic nib from it into your metropolitan.

Trying out some Tsuki-yo and its nice. It doesn't blow me away like a lot of the noodler inks, but drat does it behave better.

<3 air corp blue black and bay state blue so much. Does anyone else make anything similar to air corp?

What is a good tiny/travel pen? I want one to toss in my camera bag with my notebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I just swabed all my inks after reading this post http://penaddict.com/blog/2014/1/2/ink-samples-with-the-maruman-mnemosyne-word-book#comments-52c519bae4b077a7b0322529
I'll see if i have anything like bsb or air Corp blue black.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

<3 air corp blue black and bay state blue so much. Does anyone else make anything similar to air corp?

What is a good tiny/travel pen? I want one to toss in my camera bag with my notebook.

The closest to aircorp I've ever seen is Private Reserve ebony blue, which is far bluer. Somebody actually asked me about fountain pens yesterday after they saw my fabulous initials written in aircorp.

As far as a travel pen, the Kaweco sport is commonly recommended. It's a stubby little pen with an interesting cap design that extends the pen to a usable size when posted.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

lady flash posted:

I just swabed all my inks after reading this post http://penaddict.com/blog/2014/1/2/ink-samples-with-the-maruman-mnemosyne-word-book#comments-52c519bae4b077a7b0322529
I'll see if i have anything like bsb or air Corp blue black.

That is a great idea, I've just been swabbing everything in the back couple pages of my book.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Demon_Corsair posted:

Nthing the love for the metropolitan. Another cool thing about it is that you can buy a cheapy pilot plumix and toss the italic nib from it into your metropolitan.

Trying out some Tsuki-yo and its nice. It doesn't blow me away like a lot of the noodler inks, but drat does it behave better.

I mentioned it in my earlier post, too, but I like the TWSBI Mini for a solid tiny/travel Pen. It will fit in a pant or shirt pocket, and then lid screws on tight to prevent leaks.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I use a Parker Slimfold as a little pocket pen. Holds a reasonable amount of ink, tough as nails, easy to replace if lost, relatively cheap, and doesn't look hideous. What more could you want?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All this metropolitan talk has convinced me to get a metropolitan.

Just got in about 10 different ink samples from Goulet. I've only tested Diamine Damson actually in the pen instead of dipping. It's hitting the spot for a dusty purple and behaves well in my Lamy 2000. Also really like Diamine Twilight and Syrah. The three Pilot Iroshizuku colors I got don't look as nice as I was hoping from just dipping the pen, but I think putting it in the pen will up the saturation a bit and might change my mind.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Your first of multiple Metropolitans, hopefully. If it is your second fountain pen and you are coming from a Safari, it's a very different experience. Comparing the two pens will give you an idea what weight, shape and grip type you prefer.

----------

Edit: Oopsie, wrong guy. But the advice still stands. Metropolitan superiority.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lord Girlyman posted:

Your first of multiple Metropolitans, hopefully. If it is your second fountain pen and you are coming from a Safari, it's a very different experience. Comparing the two pens will give you an idea what weight, shape and grip type you prefer.

----------

Edit: Oopsie, wrong guy. But the advice still stands. Metropolitan superiority.

Does it come in anything besides M?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I'm going to franken a mixture of noodler's HoD and Rachmaninoff just to see how it behaves. I'd like to get a slight pink tint with a little of the wetness and school-appropriateness of the HoD. Is this a terrible idea?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm going to franken a mixture of noodler's HoD and Rachmaninoff just to see how it behaves. I'd like to get a slight pink tint with a little of the wetness and school-appropriateness of the HoD. Is this a terrible idea?

Some Noodler's inks are notorious for not playing well with others. This is mostly the Baystate line, as far as I know, but just to be safe I'd let it sit around for a day before putting it in a pen to make sure it's not going to do anything weird.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

cobalt impurity posted:

Some Noodler's inks are notorious for not playing well with others. This is mostly the Baystate line, as far as I know, but just to be safe I'd let it sit around for a day before putting it in a pen to make sure it's not going to do anything weird.

Going across brands is generally the issue due to fungicides reacting poorly or pigments reacting poorly or any of a hundred different things. Those are both Noodlers though, so they should be fine, especially since HoD mixes fairly well in my experience.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Daerc posted:

Going across brands is generally the issue due to fungicides reacting poorly or pigments reacting poorly or any of a hundred different things. Those are both Noodlers though, so they should be fine, especially since HoD mixes fairly well in my experience.

Noodlers uses a wide variety of different recipes from various sources, so I would definitely observe what happens first.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

blowfish posted:

Does it come in anything besides M?

If I'm not mistaken, Goulet only carries medium, but some other places have fines. Keep in mind Japanese nibs run small, so a medium metro is close to a fine in other brands.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
If you like the triangular grip on the Safari, get a Kakuno rather than a Metro. Comes in F or M, and both write beautifully smoothly. Pilot's cheap pens are fantastic.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Am I going to die or gently caress up my pen from licking it to get it started constantly?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm looking to get into fountain pens, but I'm not certain where to start. I've used them occasionally before (and I owned a cartridge one for a while), but I ran into a few problems, so I figured I'd ask them here.

1. The pen I owned used cartridges, and it had at tendency to leak and dry out. I'm a student, so I take a lot of notes in pen and carry them around a ton, and I couldn't find a good way to carry it. Also, I'd leave it for a week or two (like spring break) and the ink would be dry and unusuable. (The pen was cheap, though.)

Is cartridge leakage / drying out over maybe 10 days a common problem, and is there an easy solution? I don't mind carrying around a bottle of ink if it'll fix this issue.

2. I almost exclusively use Pilot G2s (I've found they're comfortable and they work for me) and I almost exclusively write in cursive, on small moleskines (the graph paper kind). My notes usually look like this:

The problem is that the gridding is so small that I have to use .5 G2 or it comes out huge (even the normal .7 G2s are too large). I bought a pack of Pilot Varsitys last week (to practice with, more than anything), and I've found the width / flow rate makes the text far too large (I can post a comparison picture if need be).

Is there a readily available, fine-tipped fountain pen I can buy that will produce something as fine-tipped as the .5 G2 without a lot of effort on my part?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm looking at picking up a Pilot Metro and some ink samples from Goulet. The pen comes with a $5 add on for a twist converter. I'm used to using cartridges. Is the default Metro converter good, or is the piston converter so much better that the extra $5 is worth it?

(I think the same converter costs $10 from Goulet, so it's a pretty good deal.)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solumin posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Pilot Metro and some ink samples from Goulet. The pen comes with a $5 add on for a twist converter. I'm used to using cartridges. Is the default Metro converter good, or is the piston converter so much better that the extra $5 is worth it?

Default is fine and ends up holding more ink anyway.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Solumin posted:

The cartridge for the Pilot Metro has a HUGE MOUTH OMG. If you can pick up a cheap eye dropper, or a plastic pipette, or a syringe, you can fill the cartridge as many times as you want. The included converter is a piece of crap. For my metro, I ordered a giant bottle (4.5 oz) of Noodler's Heart of Darkness, because it has an eyedropper built into the bottle. I just fill the cartridge with that, and it work fine.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Here are the colors I have that are close to air corp blue black and baystate Blue. Also I think I have too many inks :shrug:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Re: the G2 question, you'll be fine (heh) with any extra fine pen that doesn't have too enormous a nib.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Kessel posted:

Re: the G2 question, you'll be fine (heh) with any extra fine pen that doesn't have too enormous a nib.

Awesome, thanks! I know someone IRL who does the fountain pen thing and he's gonna let me try this TWSBI 580 with an EF tip on Thursday.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

rio posted:

Am I going to die or gently caress up my pen from licking it to get it started constantly?

No.

Unless you bought your pen at Michaels for :10bux:, you'll be fine. Fountain pens with actual build quality rarely leak unless they're broken, will generally stay wet for the 10 days you mentioned, and anything with a screw-on cap won't be dangerous to carry in your pocket.

The TWSBI 580 you mentioned will be great for all of these reasons.

Solumin posted:

The converter it comes with is a squeeze bulb type, which some people don't like. You can't see how much ink is in it, but it holds more overall and fills and cleans faster. Personally I like it but if the choice between a squeeze bulb and a piston converter were free, I'd go with the piston.

lady flash posted:

I think I have too many inks

This right here? This is loving bullshit. :colbert:

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Solumin, the twist converter is worth getting just to see if you like it. I only use the squeeze thing for cleaning, and I like the small capacity of it because I love swapping out ink samples. :3:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

milpreve posted:

Solumin, the twist converter is worth getting just to see if you like it. I only use the squeeze thing for cleaning, and I like the small capacity of it because I love swapping out ink samples. :3:

cobalt impurity posted:

The converter it comes with is a squeeze bulb type, which some people don't like. You can't see how much ink is in it, but it holds more overall and fills and cleans faster. Personally I like it but if the choice between a squeeze bulb and a piston converter were free, I'd go with the piston.

Thanks for the advice! I have a twist converter that came with my Franklin Covey pen. I'll try it with the Metro once I get it. I'm going to be switching inks out for a bit, since I want to try out several samples!
However, the fact that the squeeze converter holds more ink is attractive. I don't want to have to refill in the middle of taking notes--that's easy to do with a cartridge, but I would guess that converters are slightly messier.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wodan22 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Goulet only carries medium, but some other places have fines. Keep in mind Japanese nibs run small, so a medium metro is close to a fine in other brands.

Ok, thanks! I usually write on EF anyway, so Japanese F should be fine (:downsrim:)

No, it shouldn't leak, and C/C is easy to make leak proof since it's just a very small volume of ink/air.

Also if the TWSBI 580 is too wide: Any Japanese EF will be fine enough almost certainly, you can also try different papers/inks: Clairefontaine is consistently good and true to the nib size while Moleskine doesn't play well with many many inks. I've had F nibs run like a B on lovely paper.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

All this talk about refilling cartridges has kind of gotten me wanting to try it. Is there anywhere that sells empty Pilot/Namiki cartridges (or possibly old ones that have been thoroughly cleaned out)?

Also, does the VP take cartridges?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

QuantumNinja posted:

Awesome, thanks! I know someone IRL who does the fountain pen thing and he's gonna let me try this TWSBI 580 with an EF tip on Thursday.

I've got a TWSBI Vac 700 with EF nib that is definitely as thin as a .5 G2, and hey, the Nib Nook on Goulet actually has the G2 in it, so if you want to you can go hog wild comparing pen nibs to your G2. Looking at that it's hard for me to tell if there's a noticeable difference between the .5 G2 and the F and EF TWSBI nibs, but the Lamy for instance is slightly thicker even at EF, so sticking with an Asian pen for this is probably the way to go.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

wodan22 posted:

All this talk about refilling cartridges has kind of gotten me wanting to try it. Is there anywhere that sells empty Pilot/Namiki cartridges (or possibly old ones that have been thoroughly cleaned out)?

All my Pilot pens came with one cartridge, so I used those up simply to refill them. I don't know about the VP, but I think I remember Goulet selling a cartridge piece...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

I've got a TWSBI Vac 700 with EF nib that is definitely as thin as a .5 G2, and hey, the Nib Nook on Goulet actually has the G2 in it, so if you want to you can go hog wild comparing pen nibs to your G2. Looking at that it's hard for me to tell if there's a noticeable difference between the .5 G2 and the F and EF TWSBI nibs, but the Lamy for instance is slightly thicker even at EF, so sticking with an Asian pen for this is probably the way to go.

It's important to add that line width is going to vary with ink and paper. If the ink is wet or the paper highly absorbent, you're going to have a thicker line. But figuring out that stuff is half the fun! :D

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

lady flash posted:

Here are the colors I have that are close to air corp blue black and baystate Blue. Also I think I have too many inks :shrug:

You're my favorite. Guess it's time to put a sample order in. I've got a wishlist of dark blues that isn't going to sample its self.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just found the fountain pen my dad used the most - out if his old Waterman Carene, a new Lamy Safari and some random wooden pen I have to say I think this is the best of the lot.

I had some difficulty at first finding out what kind it is other than the brand Cross - turns out it is a Cross Century "classic". They updated it and sell it as the Century II now but the pen shape is different. Also I found minimal info on this particular version of it - the body is 10k rolled gold, the nib 14k gold (I think all of the other classics were steel or plates gold) and made in the USA.

It writes so freaking smooth, it is crazy. The pen is just a little larger than a disposable ballpoint and it is extremely lightweight. Very effortless to write with. The added bonus for me is that this is the pen I remember my dad always using so the nostalgia factor is high.

Here is a crappy cell photo:

I ordered some Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo to go in it - very pleased with the brands performance with the bamboo charcoal color I got from them but want a blue black for this pen since it is what dad used. There were a couple cartridges of cross blue black that I tried and I liked the color but didn't seem like the performance was as good as Iroshizuku.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

dino. posted:

The cartridge for the Pilot Metro has a HUGE MOUTH OMG. If you can pick up a cheap eye dropper, or a plastic pipette, or a syringe, you can fill the cartridge as many times as you want. The included converter is a piece of crap. For my metro, I ordered a giant bottle (4.5 oz) of Noodler's Heart of Darkness, because it has an eyedropper built into the bottle. I just fill the cartridge with that, and it work fine.

I really like the squeeze converter that came with my Metro. v:shobon:v

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

rio posted:

I just found the fountain pen my dad used the most - out if his old Waterman Carene, a new Lamy Safari and some random wooden pen I have to say I think this is the best of the lot.

I had some difficulty at first finding out what kind it is other than the brand Cross - turns out it is a Cross Century "classic". They updated it and sell it as the Century II now but the pen shape is different. Also I found minimal info on this particular version of it - the body is 10k rolled gold, the nib 14k gold (I think all of the other classics were steel or plates gold) and made in the USA.

It writes so freaking smooth, it is crazy. The pen is just a little larger than a disposable ballpoint and it is extremely lightweight. Very effortless to write with. The added bonus for me is that this is the pen I remember my dad always using so the nostalgia factor is high.

Here is a crappy cell photo:

I ordered some Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo to go in it - very pleased with the brands performance with the bamboo charcoal color I got from them but want a blue black for this pen since it is what dad used. There were a couple cartridges of cross blue black that I tried and I liked the color but didn't seem like the performance was as good as Iroshizuku.

Yeah, Cross is a very solid pen brand despite being less popular among fountain pen nerds. They're also one of the very few manufacturers offering a lifetime warranty (Pelikan and Montblanc, for instance, don't).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did TWSBI change the threads on their Diamond series at some point? I have the original 530 and they sent me a 580 cap as a replacement when mine broke, but it doesn't fit as well as the old one and the cap on my Vac 700 is markedly nicer. It's really sticky and feels like I'm almost crossthreading it.

Also have some observations after trying a few ink samples:
  • Private Reserve ink (I have samples of chocolate, sepia, and black cherry) does not work to my liking in any of my pens. In TWSBI pens and the Pelikan Epoch it's too dry and stops up constantly. In the Lamy 2000 it's too wet, weirdly.
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo doesn't flow quite well enough for my TWSBI 530 and I don't think the color is particularly interesting. Might be better in a wetter pen.
  • Pelikan Edelstein Ruby flows perfectly in my TWSBI Vac700, but is kind of a boring shade of red—pretty much standard "red pen" color red. It has some very nice shading though, so I'm interested in trying some different Edelstein inks.
  • Of all the inks I've tried in my Lamy 2000, Diamine Damson is my favorite so far. It writes wonderfully and is a pretty color without being distracting

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

wodan22 posted:

You can pick up a set of 12 black ink Pilot cartridges from Hobby Lobby for 2.99 USD with their 40% off coupon. They're marked as use for the Parallel pen but it's the same cartridge that the metro uses.

That's the one super cool thing about Pilot / Namiki. I picked up a vintage pilot from Peyton Street Pens, and it has the same feed and nib size as the current Pilot Metro / Kakuno / Plumix line.

I use an empty cart and wash it out regularly with water and it works fine.

The Vanishing Point can use cartridges but they reccommend you use a metal cartridge cap with them. http://www.namiki.com/parts/cartridgeCap.php

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 15, 2014

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

powderific posted:

Did TWSBI change the threads on their Diamond series at some point? I have the original 530 and they sent me a 580 cap as a replacement when mine broke, but it doesn't fit as well as the old one and the cap on my Vac 700 is markedly nicer. It's really sticky and feels like I'm almost crossthreading it.

Also have some observations after trying a few ink samples:
  • Private Reserve ink (I have samples of chocolate, sepia, and black cherry) does not work to my liking in any of my pens. In TWSBI pens and the Pelikan Epoch it's too dry and stops up constantly. In the Lamy 2000 it's too wet, weirdly.

Is it winter where you are? I like Private Reserve and it worked wonderfully throughout the fall/summer but seems to be drying in the nib too fast now that it's winter and the air is like the sahara in terms of moisture content. I'm tempted to try diluting it just a bit next time I fill the Vista.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is winter and extremely dry here, so that could definitely be part of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is the proper way to fill up a pen with a converter to stick the nib in the bottle with converter attached, or to stick the converter in the bottle alone to fill and then attach it to the pen?