Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seriously, how many people know that Kazakhstan is not a fictional country made up by Sacha Cohen?

Maybe this is unrealistic, but I hope a lot, even if they couldn't find it on a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kalos posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure most of the US thinks England, the United Kingdom, and Great Britain are all completely interchangeable terms that mean the exact same thing.
I'm pretty sure most people outside the UK are utterly baffled by the political arrangement of the British Isles. Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom, the British Isles, Crown dependencies. When it comes down to it I wouldn't be surprised if some Britons couldn't finger the finer distinctions.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 11, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Kalos posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure most of the US thinks England, the United Kingdom, and Great Britain are all completely interchangeable terms that mean the exact same thing.

Most people I talk to seem to be under the impression that Ireland and Scotland are both the same thing. Rolling green hills filled with bearded red-headed men in kilts playing bagpipes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I'm pretty sure most people outside the UK are utterly baffled by the political arrangement of the British Isles. Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom, the British Isles, Crown dependencies. When it comes down to it I wouldn't be surprised if some Britons can't pinpoint the finer distinctions.

The confusing part is that England doesn't have a parliament of its own, but Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales do. What kind of federal system is that?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The confusing part is that England doesn't have a parliament of its own, but Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales do. What kind of federal system is that?
The devolved kind where a supermajority of seats in the national House of Commons are from England, presumably (533 of 650 seats, or 82%).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

lonelywurm posted:

Apparently Maine has the worst average SAT scores of all the states (not including DC) in 2011, but the stats are skewed heavily by the fact Maine requires students to sit the SATs and many other states don't seem to bother. 93% of students in Maine took the SATs, while only 5% did in Illinois, the top state (in fact, of all the top 20 scoring states, not one has a participation rate higher than 20%).

The actual 2011 data's here for anyone interested: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AqduBXrlJrJxdGpLZWlxN2t0WW5zcjRua1laal9wX0E&output=html

In Illinois you're required to take the ACT , another standardized test.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Vegetable posted:

I'm pretty sure most people outside the UK are utterly baffled by the political arrangement of the British Isles. Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom, the British Isles, Crown dependencies. When it comes down to it I wouldn't be surprised if some Britons couldn't finger the finer distinctions.

Even this list is wrong: there is no such thing as "Britain" other than as an abbreviation of "Great Britain" :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

Even this list is wrong: there is no such thing as "Britain" other than as an abbreviation of "Great Britain" :v:
That's what I thought, but it can also refer to the UK, the British Isles, or the British Islands (forgot to include this in my list). It's the least specific term, but also the most prevalent. Britain prevails, I guess...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Elim Garak posted:

Maybe this is unrealistic, but I hope a lot, even if they couldn't find it on a map.

I really wish Central Asia would at least get a brief overview in western education, I think I read less than half a dozen pages about the place before college. We treat "the stans" like they're completely incomprehensible but they're really not.

I guess I could say the same about a lot of the world.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 11, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It seems like the *stans are where the bad guys live.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are people (namely, Justin Bieber) who barely know what Germany is. I think educators are just setting their standards realistically low.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyone involved in international business in any way knows a lot about The Stans. Hopefully enough to keep the gently caress out.

VVVV Hell of corruption, mainly. Only the biggest companies with the deepest pockets (and a willingness to do shady business) can expect return for their money.

e: Have a nice interactive map http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2012/results/

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 11, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Care to elaborate? (I am not involved in international business in any way)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kalos posted:

People in the home counties think that too :v:

Phlegmish posted:

It's not a federal system, because the devolved areas only have power which is delegated to them. It's a lovely semi-federal system that leaves few people happy.

In a true federal system the central government would have powers delegated to it by the constituent states (even though it's debatable to what extent this happens in many federal countries). The only way to do that with the UK without disproportionate power would be to split England up into it's 8 regions, then make London part of the UK, not England, ACT/DC style.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah it's not a federal system, the national parliament has absolute power legally, it just allows the regional ones to have a bit out of good graces. The regional parliaments didn't exist until the 1970s IIRC, and were basically set up to mollify independence/regional nationalist movements complaining that England had nearly complete control over the political system, which they did.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VirtualStranger posted:

Most people I talk to seem to be under the impression that Ireland and Scotland are both the same thing. Rolling green hills filled with bearded red-headed men in kilts playing bagpipes.

And once in a while some catholic dude blows them up.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Kalos posted:

That, and they think London is the only inhabited place in the country. I've lived in the US for 14 years, and I've been asked if I'm from London (I'm from Dorset, on the other side of the country) so many times that sometimes I just roll with it and tell them all about how we have carriages and singing chimneysweeps just to gently caress with them. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the english people I know from London seem to share that view.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I learned a little bit about the 'Stans through Wikipedia and stuff on my own time, because I wondered why no one ever talked about some of those countries. A lot of you probably know about this already, but the former Turkmenistan leader was pretty nuts. Here are some of his odd decrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saparmurat_Niyazov#Decrees_and_laws

I haven't done hardcore research or anything, but I can find the countries on a map and at least name some of the capital cities. And one or more of the 'Stans has yurts, I remember that.

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

All the english people I know from London seem to share that view.

Studied a semester in London and can confirm. The group of friends I made acted as if their friends from the Midlands were from another country out in the middle of nowhere that may or may not exist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

shiffty posted:

Studied a semester in London and can confirm. The group of friends I made acted as if their friends from the Midlands were from another country out in the middle of nowhere that may or may not exist.

London is the big city. Liverpool is farther north, where the people are called "Liverpudlians". Newcastle is also north, where they make brown ale. That's all the cities in England, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

prefect posted:

London is the big city. Liverpool is farther north, where the people are called "Liverpudlians". Newcastle is also north, where they make brown ale. That's all the cities in England, right?

You forgot Gren-itch where time was invented and oxford/cambridge. the rest is fen, forest, and fantasy druid landscaping

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Real hurthling! posted:

You forgot Gren-itch where time was invented and oxford/cambridge. the rest is fen, forest, and fantasy druid landscaping

Those are suburbs of London, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

prefect posted:

Those are suburbs of London, right?

how can london have suburbs? where would the dragons live?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah it's not a federal system, the national parliament has absolute power legally, it just allows the regional ones to have a bit out of good graces. The regional parliaments didn't exist until the 1970s IIRC, and were basically set up to mollify independence/regional nationalist movements complaining that England had nearly complete control over the political system, which they did.

It's even more recent than that, the Scottish parliament and the Welsh and Nothern Irish assemblies date from 1999 (though the Scottish parliament declared itself reconvened after a 300 year adjournment), and in practice the Northern Ireland Assembly didn't really function until 2007.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Reveilled posted:

It's even more recent than that, the Scottish parliament and the Welsh and Nothern Irish assemblies date from 1999 (though the Scottish parliament declared itself reconvened after a 300 year adjournment), and in practice the Northern Ireland Assembly didn't really function until 2007.

The NI Assembly is a bit distinct from the other two though, in that it was birthed out of and has to come to terms with with the legacy of the Troubles. The other two, by contrast, are just annoyed orange-haired people :v:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Couldn't find a large enough population density map in my brief search, but this is a pretty good approximation.

Traffic accidents, 1999-2010

A quick rundown of some of the major urban areas:

- London is obvious.

- Birmingham, the second largest city, is in the middle near Wales.

- In the big built up area running east from North Wales you have Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds/Bradford a little bit to the north and Sheffield. Hull is the very bright spot on the Humber estuary if you follow the line to the east.

- Further north along the east coast you can see the Durham, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle conurbation.

- Glasgow and Edinburgh are the two in southern Scotland, west and east respectively. Going up the east coast you can see Dundee and Aberdeen.

Identifying anything below about Birmingham is basically beyond me, but helpfully it's largely unnecessary as it all might as well be London.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
My favorite UK thing is how nobody outside it seems to know that Glasgow is not the capital of Scotland

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

tbp posted:

My favorite UK thing is how nobody outside it seems to know that Glasgow is not the capital of Scotland

Uhh what?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

XMNN posted:

Identifying anything below about Birmingham is basically beyond me, but helpfully it's largely unnecessary as it all might as well be London.

:mad:

The buildup around southwest Wales is Carfiff and Swansea and then Bristol across the channel from those.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Or, since this is a map thread:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bishop Rodan posted:

That, and they think London is the only inhabited place in the country. I've lived in the US for 14 years, and I've been asked if I'm from London (I'm from Dorset, on the other side of the country) so many times that sometimes I just roll with it and tell them all about how we have carriages and singing chimneysweeps just to gently caress with them. :v:

Someone from Philadelphia would probably be annoyed if people kept asking them if they were from New York, but it wouldn't be that far off.

For that matter, I'm in New York, but if NYC was where London is I'd be drat near Ireland.

http://overlapmaps.com/ is a pretty neat site for this sort of thing.

Edit: to make more political, put England on top of other countries it used to rule. Fun for everyone!

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bishop Rodan posted:

You're being a bit petty. When I tell people I'm from Finland, they tend to ask "are you from Helsinki?", and I don't take any offence (I'm not). A greater percentage of the British population lives in London that the Finnish one does in Helsinki. It's just the first thing they think of.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Worst yet is if you let someone know that you are from Vancouver and they are like "OH ! Do you know BOB?"

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Worst yet is if you let someone know that you are from Vancouver and they are like "OH ! Do you know BOB?"

I don't get why people get offended by this. They obviously don't actually think you know the person they're asking about, but on the off chance you do, it's a great small-world moment.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

tbp posted:

To be fair this happens a lot; hell, I've lost count of the times I've heard how I live in the capital of Australia (Sydney), and my cousins live in the capital of Canada (Toronto) and New Zealand (Auckland). People just have a natural tendency to assume the largest city is the capital, irrespective of whether the one in their country is.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

iajanus posted:

To be fair this happens a lot; hell, I've lost count of the times I've heard how I live in the capital of Australia (Sydney), and my cousins live in the capital of Canada (Toronto) and New Zealand (Auckland). People just have a natural tendency to assume the largest city is the capital, irrespective of whether the one in their country is.

Notably, it seems safer to assume in Europe where a lot of countries are political entities that grew up around a prime urban center, as opposed to the mentioned countries, or in the US where DC as well as any given state capital was picked because it was physically near the middle of a then barely populated area.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You should all move to city-states because we don't have this problem :v:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Baloogan posted:

This is upsetting, because everyone knows that Twin Peaks took place in Washington State, not British Columbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

iajanus posted:

Hm I guess you do have a point, I hadn't really thought about that. I bet most Americans would get Canada right but the other two wrong.