Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swizzbutt

Pro Target posted:

The fun of the game (in pve) is overcoming the challenges that are placed there by the developers with the intent to kill you. its getting into their mindset (if i was trying to kill the player where would i put a trap)

that makes sense and I'll keep it in mind, thanks. I'll probably try it out again here soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

GTA5 has some good rear end tennis, as it turns out

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

kalameet was ok. kinda meh. nothing really exciting coming after the charged up artorias fight

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

i didnt cut his tail though. tried a couple times and it was just obnoxious so i said gently caress it. wouldnt use that weapon anyway

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i remember someone posting aboiut banished is it good

yoober

I haven't played banished since like the first week it was on steam but it was pretty much a less good tropico
might have improved greatly since then! I really ought to find out

Stormyish

Pro Target posted:

Its absolutely not true that you need to have memorized the map, I avoided pretty much every trap in dark souls 2 when i first played it due to playing cautiously

well dark souls 2 is a corridor, so that's not hard

Stormyish

yoober posted:

I haven't played banished since like the first week it was on steam but it was pretty much a less good tropico
might have improved greatly since then! I really ought to find out

get the colonial charter mod and it's a wonderful game

yoober

ok I'm doing that

Pro Target

Stormyish posted:

well dark souls 2 is a corridor, so that's not hard

The level design of dark souls 2 is perfect. It's
A hallucinogenic flight from safety and civilization into an incredibly distant wilderness in the tradition of shadow tower, idiot

Pro Target

the reason that dark souls 2 has long, seemingly linear (not really but nerdss loveeee to complain) levels is because thats the only way to get the sense of distance the game was going for without actually having an enormous world. When you reach the primal bonfire at the end of a given branch you Feel really far away from majula, as opposed to das1 where firelink always felt rpetty dang close by

Pro Target

Also i get really annoyed when people are hung up on stupid thiongs like the transition from earthen peak to iron keep as if it somehow matters how or why you got there and the game isnt trying to evoke a sort of mythological epic/dreamlike world where the specifics of how you get where dont matter. its the same thing as in DaS1 when you go down the great hollow, its pretty clear you didnt descend through an Entire Archtree since theyre miles tall

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Pro Target posted:

its the same thing as in DaS1 when you go down the great hollow, its pretty clear you didnt descend through an Entire Archtree since theyre miles tall
well, you enter through the side of it so who knows how far down that is. that area was weird because it gave me the idea that lordran was just built on top of the archtrees or something.

Pro Target

Awesome! posted:

well, you enter through the side of it so who knows how far down that is. that area was weird because it gave me the idea that lordran was just built on top of the archtrees or something.

you can look directly up when you enter ash lake and see how much larger it is

Pro Target

lordran is built on top of the archtrees

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

oh. ok then. mission accomplished area designers

Pro Target

Dark souls speaks in a mythological language , ash lake is more just representative of a primal pre-creation universe than an actual place,.. the specifics dont matter

Pro Target

did the bearer of the curse actually take an elevator from earthen peak to iron keep, or did he spend weeks hiking across the mountains shown in between on the map, or did either of those places really exist, it doesnt matter for the myth

problematic hug

pt what dark souls mystery, if any, are you most curious about

Pro Target

id like to know how ornifex ended up in drangleic

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

is that the only crow demon in ds2

Pro Target

Yeah

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

weird

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

maybe killing priscilla allows the other denizens of the painting to leave afterwards

Pro Target

as far as I know theres no hint at her origin whatsoever in the game except for some very broad information (shes a blacksmith, she belongs to a people with a culture and traditions, she likes making dolls)

Scaly Haylie

Awesome! posted:

is that the only crow demon in ds2

well there's two in things betwixt :colbert:

Pro Target

Those are just crows

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

Those are just crows

okay, then give me screenshots

Pro Target

i dont believe that nest is appropriately sized for two crow demons

Pro Target

Also they are shown to be considerably less intelligent than ornifex

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

Also they are shown to be considerably less intelligent than ornifex

so? there's marked difference in intelligence between some BYOB posters, and we can agree that all of them are human.

Pro Target

They also dont speak in the same way

Stormyish

CAW

ulvir

I like the difference in level design between the two dark souls games. in the first, everything feels interconnected but in a vertical way, whilst in the second the interconnectedness is spread out horizontally. I've also heard some talk of the seemingly "weird" designs, like elevator up to iron keep or what feels like a short trek through some hallways gets you into no-man's warf and so on, being intended as a way to project how, in these games, time is supposed to be distorted and non-linear. So the amount of time you spend walking around doesn't reflect the actual distance walked.

problematic hug

well someone was keeping ornifex imprisoned, the key to her cell is held by a petrified lion warrior who are creations of seath['s old soul] or aldia's. and seath does have a big connection to the painted world.

problematic hug

both soul smiths were locked in a cell w/ petrification enemies outside

Pro Target

there was also a petrified blacksmith in painted world

ulvir

Pro Target posted:

there was also a petrified blacksmith in painted world

I thought the petrified blacksmith was in the tower after moonlight butterfly, or have I just missed the guy in painted world every time I've been there?

Salmiakki

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

ulvir posted:

I thought the petrified blacksmith was in the tower after moonlight butterfly, or have I just missed the guy in painted world every time I've been there?

there's more than one. the one in painted world has the occult ember. iirc that was behind the annex door which you need a key for