Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're too hard me because I'm a Millenial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to be unemployed starting July 8th and once I finish moving all my crap I'm going to have a month of unemployment and I'm going to play all the metal gear solids and extrapolate personal meaning onto my current situation and deepen my prodromal fascination with the series,

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

disagree. u can make 5 as hard as u like

no osp for every mission in vanilla. its casual trash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not a option but you can just do that if you want. Not use a weapon unless you've pick it up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

you can just have the water pistol or w/e equipped until you find something. MGSV is on the level of 3 for me, and I've gotten FOXHOUND/Big Boss ranks in every game.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

When you think about the intelligence of a genius like Hideo Kojima to even make the original Metal Gear, a game of stealth, when no one else was doing this. Then in 1998 create a story so far ahead of its time, we are talking visionary level poo poo here, to predict nanomachines, the rise of PMCs and the state of the war economy, drones, censorship of data, the concept of the Patriots being drawn from reality, then tying it all together in 4 games [5 with peace walker] and then getting to V and having amazing gameplay, yes, but seeing his vision ultimately compromised due to Stupid Nip Company you realize why 5 is the most disappointing, despite still being above and beyond most other games from mere gameplay alone.

Peopl love to give him credit for predicting things that already existed in theory or form when he wrote the game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Having not beaten V yet and having only beaten the other games once, my current ranking is:

5>3>4>2>1

This may change when I play all of them again after I beat 5

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Benny D posted:

Peopl love to give him credit for predicting things that already existed in theory or form when he wrote the game

Wow theory... And he realized that within his game, correctly mind you. gently caress off

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Colonel: The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards the development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Rose: Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.

Colonel: Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.

Rose: Vcasuals would probably poo poo their diapeys and ragequit if they tried to play the old games because they cant airlift in unlimited tanks weapons ammo and dont have easymode buddies/gadgets and cant watch the cutscenes because their ADD is so bad from eating GMOs and corn sugar they cant sit still for longer than 5 minutes at a loving time.

Colonel: not mad tho, actually loving laughing at how stupid all the casuals are.

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

mgs v would be on the level of 3 for me if chapter 3 had made it, in my humble opinion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chapter 3 is coming. Any day now.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Chapter 3 is coming. Any day now.

Never Be Game Over

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
It'd be really cool to go insane from this good game series.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Long Johnson posted:

It'd be really cool to go insane from this good game series.

join the club

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your 29-year old childless son is a talented genius.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

It's not a option but you can just do that if you want. Not use a weapon unless you've pick it up.

Evil Eagle posted:

you can just have the water pistol or w/e equipped until you find something.

THATS NOT loving GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Honestly I miss the long cutscenes and codec calls but what I got in return was a light year jump ahead in terms of game mechanics

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There are a ton of tapes to take the codec's place though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There are as many cutscenes in V as there are in 2/3 but there's also 50x more gameplay so it's not as noticeable when they don't crop up every 20 to 30 minutes

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Also, 4's codec is pathetic. Otacon and Rose? That's it, really? At least have Drebin 893 tell Snake about the billions of guns in that game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the bnb codecs should have occurred before their fights so you could invest some interest in the characters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funnier that it happens after. Also I think Drebin is whole cloth making all that poo poo up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

It's funnier that it happens after. Also I think Drebin is whole cloth making all that poo poo up.

How do you figure?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have no basis for it but it would be cool if Drebin was just lying to assuage Snake and provide a humane look into the emotionless, sleek robocopies of MGS1 boss squad.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
"Drrrebin..."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

How do you figure?
There's no way for Drebin to know any of it. He spends most of the game just handling accounting and distribution of guns you send him. I think he's just bored and makes up cool stories about the bosses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which I think is also how Major Tom ends up creating crazy legends about Big Boss. He got bored because nobody called him on the codec anymore.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Drebin's monkey typed up their backstories and took smoke breaks between sessions.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no way for Drebin to know any of it. He spends most of the game just handling accounting and distribution of guns you send him. I think he's just bored and makes up cool stories about the bosses.

Drebin is working for the Patriots and injected Snake with the FOXDIE that killed EVA, Ocelot and Big Boss. He knows more than you think.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Doesn't he straight up say "or maybe I made all that up" after one of the stories? Or did I just make that up?

I'm so stoked to replay these games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drebbin does the RAT-PATROL 1 patriot revea and its amazing

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Evil Eagle posted:

Drebin is working for the Patriots and injected Snake with the FOXDIE that killed EVA, Ocelot and Big Boss. He knows more than you think.

There's no way for drebin to know that stuff firsthand, I like to think whatever big patriot database drebin was pulling from was vandalized by kojimaocelot. kojimaocelot undermines snake's heroism at every point in the game otherwise, and every time snake beats a boss kojimaocelot has a nut kick prepared for murdering emotionally broken women (that are actually just frogs coked to the gills on emotion grenades, because kojimaocelot thinks emotionally powered supersoldiers are cool.) That is my dumb fantheory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Lol that's one of my favorite reveals in 4, because it's coupled with so many convoluted tie ins to previous entries and history and then drunk as Drebin walks up to snake getting all serious about how Alucard is Dracula backwards

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3 > 5 > 2 = 4 > 1 > PW but they're all absolutely amazing games

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

frank.club posted:

mrw that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013