Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orange sky posted:

Ahah tomorrow everyone is gonna be hosed when they turn on their pcs. Apparently it's not using smb 1 to spread anymore? Wmic and psexploit apparently

Sounds like both smb1 and those other things.
(Also seems like initial Ukrainian targets might have been attacked via... auto update of some accounting software?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
THN has a comprehensive report http://thehackernews.com/2017/06/petya-ransomware-attack.html

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Well this helped me find out my OS apparently thinks every scheduled task is corrupted.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't have a reboot task shutdown your machine if all your tasks are hosed :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

:stare:

https://twitter.com/GroupIB_GIB/status/879772068300165120

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's doing this automatically? So it only needs a session where the Administrator account is logged on and then uses PtH or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it time to give up on computers yet?

eames
May 9, 2009

orange sky posted:

It's doing this automatically? So it only needs a session where the Administrator account is logged on and then uses PtH or something?

Yeah that's my understanding although it'll also move laterally to patched machines that i.e. share a local administrator password.

Kapersky reports it is using several different attack vectors. :tif:

https://twitter.com/kaspersky/status/879749175570817024

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, a local admin has to be tricked into opening a malicious file. But once that happens, say goodbye to your domain. This is why you don't give out admin privileges like candy.

Also, you can show the command line in Task Manager by adding the "Command line" column to the Details pane. This shows you what DLL and function is being run through rundll32, so you can tell if it's malicious or not. Don't just go around killing every instance of rundll32 you see.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Double Punctuation posted:

Don't just go around killing every instance of rundll32 you see.

Pussy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I reserve that level of belligerence for svchost.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ran a quick search on Shodan, it shows more than 1.8M Internet-facing IPs with SMBv1 enabled: https://www.shodan.io/search?query=%22SMB+version%3A+1%22+port%3A%22445%22

I would be surprised if even 10% of those were protected by some form of IPS or AV. Wonder how many are patched, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The most annoying thing about Petya isn't Petya itself, it's the hundred AV vendors who suddenly have my email address out of the blue barraging me with "information" about how their product will protect my org.

And then the cold calls.

I'm going to start getting fake email/phone business cards printed up for trade shows.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The most annoying thing about Petya isn't Petya itself, it's the hundred AV vendors who suddenly have my email address out of the blue barraging me with "information" about how their product will protect my org.

And then the cold calls.

I'm going to start getting fake email/phone business cards printed up for trade shows.

I was at SANS the other month, thanks work..., and in the vendor I convinced my coworker to let them scan his badge for the swag I wanted saying I left mine in the room. He's been getting barraged since then.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Never let vendors scan your badge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

Where else am I supposed to get a pen or fidget spinner?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lain Iwakura posted:

A conference I went to recently seemed to give my contact info to every event sponsor without me taking any swag from the booths.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mewse posted:

A conference I went to recently seemed to give my contact info to every event sponsor without me taking any swag from the booths.

the cheaper the conference the more likely this is

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

Where else am I supposed to get a pen or fidget spinner?

One vendor was giving away lockpicks. It was the only time I would have done it but still resisted.

mewse
May 2, 2006

One of them is really determined. Emails below + one or two phone calls that I ignored

May 23rd posted:

Good Morning mewse,

Hope you had a nice weekend. Following up from the [conference] last week - glad you were able to attend and hope you enjoyed it!

May 25th posted:

Good Morning mewse,

Hope you’re having a good week. Following up from my email below – would you be available for a 1:1 demonstration

May 30th posted:

Hi mewse,

Per my email below, [vendor] provides the full security life cycle from visibility, to detection, prevention, and remediation.

June 20th posted:

Hi mewse,

Reaching out to share news about

June 27th posted:

Hi mewse,

Per my below email - Streaming prevention and complete, 24/7 visibility into your endpoints is why security professionals find value in [product]. If you are open to learning how the technology might fit with your organization, my engineer has some openings left

:ughh:

Lain Iwakura posted:

One vendor was giving away lockpicks. It was the only time I would have done it but still resisted.

I did get Kevin Mitnick's business card from this conference and it is a set of lockpicks!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Those emails are automated. Don't use a normal email or phone number for your registration. Opsec.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I use my gvoice number and an aliased email address that dumps directly to a spam folder in my main profile, works pretty well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mewse posted:

One of them is really determined. Emails below + one or two phone calls that I ignored

:ughh:

I did get Kevin Mitnick's business card from this conference and it is a set of lockpicks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601643/companies-are-stockpiling-bitcoin-to-pay-off-cybercriminals/

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Back...

...ups?...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

At one company I used to have two email addresses, and cards with each. At another I stole some from a colleague with the same first name.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

UAC introduces a split token scheme for local execution so by default even if you are in the local administrators group the programs you execute run with the permissions of a standard user, unless you force it through an elevation prompt. The problem is only the locally executed programs are aware of this UAC restriction, so LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy also filters outbound remote management requests to drop the built-in administrators group token as well so if there are other systems exposed to you that you also have admin rights on you can elevate/compromise that system and then jump back or to other systems. Disabling the filtering makes that attack model possible. There are other ways to work around UAC and elevate, but having to modify that setting generally means you are doing something fundamentally wrong.

Hate to break it to you, but microsoft recomends changing that registry so you can administer a non-domain joined servers and the hyper-v role. One of their certification steps calls for you to roll out that reg entry via powershell.

quote:

Managing non-domain joined servers through Server Manager is, however, more complicated and requires a level of expertise that is more suitable for the exam. Typically, workgroup environments are not covered in MCSE exams, but “manage non-domain joined servers” has officially been added as a new task in the updated objectives for Windows Server 2012 R2

yada yada DSC yada yada scripted locked down server core yada yada firewalls

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Martytoof posted:

And then the cold calls.

Get a fake domain and a google voice number. Then use that fake domain to get a Sendgrid free account (10k a month emails). Have the domain forward all addresses through Sendgrid to your regular email address. You'll probably need to rewrite the sending domain to like '"realaddress@realdomain.com "remailer@fakebusinesscarddomain.com' to avoid pissing off things like DMARC.

You can of course do it without sendgrid, though if you're forwarding to a gmail account it makes acceptance a lot easier. I also use it for some other malarkey.

Business cards are cheap.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 28, 2017

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I also thank my lucky stars every day that our entire dev department is on Macs (with like one or two exceptions), production is all Linux, and it's not my job to give a crap about user endpoints anymore.

I have a bunch of keywords set to filter mail to a 'reply helpdesk number' folder and go through it like once a week.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ganson posted:

Get a fake domain and a google voice number. Then use that fake domain to get a Sendgrid free account (10k a month emails). Have the domain forward all addresses through Sendgrid to your regular email address. You'll probably need to rewrite the sending domain to like '"realaddress@realdomain.com "remailer@fakebusinesscarddomain.com' to avoid pissing off things like DMARC.

You can of course do it without sendgrid, though if you're forwarding to a gmail account it makes acceptance a lot easier. I also use it for some other malarkey.

Business cards are cheap.

That's pretty intricate; I have a mycorp.ca and a mycorp.org email so I'll probably just put the .org on my spammy business card and then just filter that in outlook.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Ganson posted:

I also thank my lucky stars every day that our entire dev department is on Macs (with like one or two exceptions), production is all Linux, and it's not my job to give a crap about user endpoints anymore.

I have a bunch of keywords set to filter mail to a 'reply helpdesk number' folder and go through it like once a week.

Ah yes. The secure macOS and Linux systems that cause no problems at all.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I never said that, we still have our fair share of phishing attacks, legacy misconfigurations, new misconfigurations, people trolling for Struts vulnerabilities, a million kernel and critical tool vulns in the last 3 months (sudo!), etc.

At least there I can cut the attack surface down to almost nothing and don't have to deal with the samba-vulnerability-of-the-week. Vulnerabilities that do come out tend to have a good write up with mitigation steps if needed from Redhat within a week.

Makes a massive difference coming from a heterogeneous environment where I was dealing with Linux, Windows, VMWare, Cisco, and Fortigate infrastructure along with a variety of end user configuration in various states of repair... with a 3 man team where one person was glorified helpdesk and the other doesn't want to sully themselves by doing any actual work.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 28, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ganson posted:

I never said that, we still have our fair share of phishing attacks, legacy misconfigurations, new misconfigurations, people trolling for Struts vulnerabilities, a million kernel and critical tool vulns in the last 3 months (sudo!), etc.

At least there I can cut the attack surface down to almost nothing and don't have to deal with the samba-vulnerability-of-the-week. Vulnerabilities that do come out tend to have a good write up with mitigation steps if needed from Redhat within a week.

Makes a massive difference coming from a heterogeneous environment where I was dealing with Linux, Windows, VMWare, Cisco, and Fortigate infrastructure along with a variety of end user configuration in various states of repair... with a 3 man team where one person was glorified helpdesk and the other doesn't want to sully themselves by doing any actual work.

Do you think there are no regular dangerous exploits for Linux or Samba or something :psyduck: Look at 2016 for example: https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2016

You're not any safer and you're being dangerously misleading and ignorant.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you think there are no regular dangerous exploits for Linux or Samba or something :psyduck: Look at 2016 for example: https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2016

You're not any safer and you're being dangerously misleading and ignorant.

...I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, where's the anger coming from? I realize there are regular dangerous vulnerabilities in Linux (we don't use Samba). We have an aggressive patching program and various other layers of defense in depth I'd rather not announce on an open forum.

But Microsoft is the market leader (especially on the end user side) and as such is the biggest target for bad actors and their ilk. Microsofts not always great transparency and sometimes questionable choices for defaults are something I'm happy to avoid. Distros have the same issue at times too (and Linus regularly getting into pissing contests with people doesn't help) but since they're all competing with basically the same code bases if one distro misses something another may pick it up (or a researcher with access to the source code may find it). I'd rather deal with that then smb-worm-of-the-week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ganson posted:

...I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, where's the anger coming from? I realize there are regular dangerous vulnerabilities in Linux (we don't use Samba). We have an aggressive patching program and various other layers of defense in depth I'd rather not announce on an open forum.

But Microsoft is the market leader (especially on the end user side) and as such is the biggest target for bad actors and their ilk. Microsofts not always great transparency and sometimes questionable choices for defaults are something I'm happy to avoid. Distros have the same issue at times too (and Linus regularly getting into pissing contests with people doesn't help) but since they're all competing with basically the same code bases if one distro misses something another may pick it up (or a researcher with access to the source code may find it). I'd rather deal with that then smb-worm-of-the-week.

What, I'm not angry, I'm pointing out how ignorant and misleading you're being.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I think the point is that Macs and Linux can give users a false sense of security and that's very, very dangerous.

And honestly if you follow best practices Windows is pretty good. Their problem is more the concessions they have to make for the sake of backward compatibility (why the gently caress is SMBv1 still available for example).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Furism posted:

I think the point is that Macs and Linux can give users a false sense of security and that's very, very dangerous.

And honestly if you follow best practices Windows is pretty good. Their problem is more the concessions they have to make for the sake of backward compatibility (why the gently caress is SMBv1 still available for example).

Because some software still "only supports SMBv1." loving shoot me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buying Macs generally happens in companies that finance their IT better, so it's likely that they are also staffed better, enrolled in a management platform to ensure software is kept up-to-date etc. That might skew the results somewhat.

I've seen small businesses that buy some Macs and get the person 'good at computers' to look after them, and they are just as much of a mess as a Windows machine would be after a few months of running as local admin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So let the admin install and enable an optional component. Could even prompt if something tries to touch SMBv1 functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

So let the admin install and enable an optional component. Could even prompt if something tries to touch SMBv1 functionality.

If this is directed at me, the software requires SMBv1 for pretty much everything. Not sure what you mean by "let the admin install and enable," unless you mean that Windows Server should install with SMBv1 disabled by default, in which case I would agree.