Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's a nice picture of Judge Dredd, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

So, fandom is a necessary evil?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm saying it's a fundamentally harmless experience that can be ruined by people being idiots, just like everything else, and people should just be left to their own devices and not be made fun of when they're not hurting anybody.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

McSpanky posted:

Given that most creative works done by ostensible professionals can barely produce acceptable romance plots and love scenes, we hardly need more amateurs working at it. Fanfiction in general is under indictment for psychic pollution of the collective human experience.
*fistpumps solemnly*

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know there are many different perspectives on fanfiction, but there's one thing we can all agree on: Kara and Lena want to gently caress.

I mean, obviously

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm saying it's a fundamentally harmless experience that can be ruined by people being idiots, just like everything else, and people should just be left to their own devices and not be made fun of when they're not hurting anybody.

In addition to the aforementioned dilution of the human experience, when they start screeching nonstop abuse at actors on twitter who poked fun at their ship it's hard to argue that no harm is being done. Also, please post your fanfics, I know you have them.

edit:
lmao

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

In addition to the aforementioned dilution of the human experience, when they start screeching nonstop abuse at actors on twitter who poked fun at their ship it's hard to argue that no harm is being done. Also, please post your fanfics, I know you have them.

Aaaand now we're back to square one, where taking issue with something and getting angry and expressing criticism is the problem, and apparently constitutes abuse. "Making fun" of something was never the problem, it was how they went about it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know there are many different perspectives on fanfiction, but there's one thing we can all agree on: Kara and Lena want to gently caress.

Yes clearly, my research paper in the Journal of Portentous Longing Glances should pass peer review by the next publication quarter.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

McSpanky posted:

Yes clearly, my research paper in the Journal of Portentous Longing Glances should pass peer review by the next publication quarter.

Can't wait to read it on AO3.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Soothing Vapors posted:

In addition to the aforementioned dilution of the human experience, when they start screeching nonstop abuse at actors on twitter who poked fun at their ship it's hard to argue that no harm is being done.
"Harassing people on the internet" is not some rare particular phenomenon exhibited solely by teenage girls gushing about fictional characters.

It never fails to bemuse me when people on the Something friggin' Awful Forums start getting all high and mighty about how weird and unacceptable other people are on other corners of the internet. Like we all haven't seen behavior here that blows plenty of that right out of the water.

STAC Goat posted:

While I'm going to bow out of the general debate I do want to retain my lifelong stance that erotic/romantic fan fiction is weird.
Then literally every single person who's written a TV show or movie with romance or sex in it is weird because that's exactly what they're doing. Supergirl writers are writing fanfiction about characters created by DC Comics. Riverdale writers are writing fanfic about characters from Archie Comics. Game of Thrones writers are writing fanfic about GRRM characters. Bloody Grey's Anatomy writers are writing fanfic about characters created by Shonda Rhimes and not themselves.

The one and only difference is that they're being paid to do so.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

With whom is another question entirely and one that is hotly debated.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BrianWilly posted:

50 Shades of Gray crossed the aisle for better or worse (it's worse).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shakespeare wrote some very influential RPF about Julius Caesar.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TFRazorsaw posted:

Shakespeare wrote some very influential RPF about Julius Caesar.

But he used the older term "slashfic".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

But he used the older term "slashfic".
:golfclap:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BrianWilly posted:

"Harassing people on the internet" is not some rare particular phenomenon exhibited solely by teenage girls gushing about fictional characters.

It never fails to bemuse me when people on the Something friggin' Awful Forums start getting all high and mighty about how weird and unacceptable other people are on other corners of the internet. Like we all haven't seen behavior here that blows plenty of that right out of the water.
Then literally every single person who's written a TV show or movie with romance or sex in it is weird because that's exactly what they're doing. Supergirl writers are writing fanfiction about characters created by DC Comics. Riverdale writers are writing fanfic about characters from Archie Comics. Game of Thrones writers are writing fanfic about GRRM characters. Bloody Grey's Anatomy writers are writing fanfic about characters created by Shonda Rhimes and not themselves.

Some people call what I do "screaming and throwing poo poo at people who walk by" but I call it acting! The only difference, they are being paid to do it and I'm just doing it because it's the only way for me to get an erection anymore.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

With whom is another question entirely and one that is hotly debated.
They want to have lesbian-style sex on/with each other.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FactsAreUseless posted:

They want to have lesbian-style sex on/with each other.

Jeremy Jordan apparently disagrees.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Right so 44 more posts and FanFic/Shipping/Slashfic is still a terrible thing and everyone who writes then are garbage people.

Excellent, glad we're all on the same page.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

If you think about it, posting is basically like writing fanfiction.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So is the Bible.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Something Awful needs to stop making fun of nerds on the internet. In fact, it's insanely normal to spend large portions of your life setting up elaborate sexual fantasy football drafts for every single fictional character on TV, then going on Twitter to hurl racialized abuse at C-list celebrities because they failed to pair the Michelin Man up with Chester Cheetah, the loving prigs

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
CW embraces that stuff and encourages it when it suits them (arrow) so the show has some of the blame, but this whole thing is a bad look for pretty much everyone over all.

I mean does anyone even care about the trailer for season 3. I thought that's what people were talking about when I saw all the posts, but it's been buried under all this.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Lord Packinham posted:

I mean does anyone even care about the trailer for season 3. I thought that's what people were talking about when I saw all the posts, but it's been buried under all this.

The trailer had very little new footage to discuss, so I guess we defaulted to our usual hiatus-mode poo poo flinging. It seems to happen in a lot of TVIV threads.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Who's flinging poo poo, here? Just seems like a bunch of forum nerds dogpiling on teenage girls writing fanfic, 'cuz apparently those are the only type of fans who go a little crazy about their hobbies.

.oh, well, I guess now I'm flinging poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm flinging poo poo.

SO MUCH poo poo.

I'M A MONKEY NOW

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Who's flinging poo poo, here? Just seems like a bunch of forum nerds dogpiling on teenage girls writing fanfic, 'cuz apparently those are the only type of fans who go a little crazy about their hobbies.

.oh, well, I guess now I'm flinging poo poo.

Post your fanfic

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I had like 2/3rds of a Kyle Rayner/Connor Hawke one finished before I accepted that I'm just not very good at prose. Fanart is far more my speed.

What was it that Glee said? Shame is a wasted emotion?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
If your fanfic is worse than those drawings, please dear God post the unfinished draft

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fan-fiction writers and fanzine creators helped create fandom as we know it today
You're saying that like it's a good thing.

Fandom has existed for a long time, but in recent years it has become quite insane.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm talking about the ur days of fandom, and how women who were into Star Trek were some of the first to commiserate and share their interests and work as well as help get the show to be successful in syndication.

There's problems with modern fans, yes, but there's also problems with every human endeavor that inevitably crop up when you add more people to it, and treating all members of said group as a monolith and everything they're interested in or spend their time on as ultimately destructive and bad misses the point of why these issues crop up and proliferate.

Like BrianWilly said, no one here is in any position to sit in condemnation of poo poo like this, given Something Awful is full of people being terrible to each other over freaking message board posts.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 27, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fandom today is a lot different from the halcyon days when Bjo Trimble saved Star Trek from cancellation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

Fandom today is a lot different from the halcyon days when Bjo Trimble saved Star Trek from cancellation.

I never said it wasn't. Point is slash fans saved Star Trek. The fact that there are still people like that has zero to do with why fandom is sometimes terrible.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 27, 2017

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like BrianWilly said, no one here is in any position to sit in condemnation of poo poo like this, given Something Awful is full of people being terrible to each other over freaking message board posts.

Actually, I think I am, because I'm not an entitled baby who throws their toys out of the crib at the first sign that the people who make the media I like aren't listening to my terrible ideas. Abusing the people who make the TV, movies, video games, books, and so on that you like is a good way to get them to stop listening to you forever, and I hope creators start doing that sooner rather than later

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, in Edwardian Britain, there was a brief craze for novelty drinking vessels (tumblers) with pictures of Sherlock Holmes shagging Dr Watson painted on them until Conan Doyle took legal action to have their manufacture prohibited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually, in Edwardian Britain, there was a brief craze for novelty drinking vessels (tumblers) with pictures of Sherlock Holmes shagging Dr Watson painted on them until Conan Doyle took legal action to have their manufacture prohibited.

:golfclap:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Squashing Machine posted:

Actually, I think I am, because I'm not an entitled baby who throws their toys out of the crib at the first sign that the people who make the media I like aren't listening to my terrible ideas. Abusing the people who make the TV, movies, video games, books, and so on that you like is a good way to get them to stop listening to you forever, and I hope creators start doing that sooner rather than later

That goes back to the thing I said about treating people like a monolith, because 1) it assumes all people who write poo poo or have a ship are abusive to creators, and 2) assumes that the people who are mad about this are universally abusive to creators and that they're only coming from this from a place of being angry that "their ship" isn't canon, as opposed to being angry about the disrespectful way they went about it.

It also ignores the completely different levels of agency that actors and writers have verses fans, and there's NOTHING that's been done here that's affected their lives negatively that they didn't choose to join in on themselves. What level of harassment do you honestly think is going to affect Melissa Benoist's and Jeremy Jordan's lives? This is going to stop being news in, like, a couple weeks. They're more than likely not going to be afraid to leave their homes like the individuals harassed by actual hate movements like GamerGate. This is, at worst, a minor bit of bad publicity.

Let's be real. They haven't really suffered much, if at all, as a result of this.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 27, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just kind of feel like people should make peace with some light mocking of their weird hobbies. It don't hurt any more than the actors are hurt. Everyone has weird hobbies. You don't have to stop if you really don't want to. But it's a little weird (or at least seems weird to people outside that sphere) so learning to take a little harmless joking builds character.

I sincere didn't realize erotic fan fiction was such serious business. I suppose that's on me. I should know better by now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I wrote an intro to a Stargate SG-1 / Quantum Leap crossover where Sam leaps into Daniel Jackson before he is invited to join the Stargate program and has to make sure he avoids Catherine Langford since that was shortly before he disappeared / dropped off the grid.

He leapt into Daniel while he was getting chewed out by a higher up at a University for still having his stupid ideas about Chariots of the Gods. I thought that'd be a good reason for Sam to say "oh, boy" when he took over, some old guy telling you how silly your ideas are and that you will never get funding and why do you believe this stuff anyway, and your parents would be disappointed. It would be funny, because Sam would have no idea what the hell they were talking about and Al would have to pop-in and talk about Daniel's books about aliens and would call him "a little cuckoo".

Hah, hah, turns out he bumps into her anyway and Daniel finds out about the Stargate program because Sam leaps right as she's about to drop the truth bomb. Al says "Ziggy says nothing's changed." and they think it was a failed leap.

I realized what I was doing and stopped because, drat. Also, I like writing, but I'm not good at it.

STAC Goat posted:

I sincere didn't realize erotic fan fiction was such serious business. I suppose that's on me. I should know better by now.

It's a cottage industry.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I just kind of feel like people should make peace with some light mocking of their weird hobbies. It don't hurt any more than the actors are hurt. Everyone has weird hobbies. You don't have to stop if you really don't want to. But it's a little weird (or at least seems weird to people outside that sphere) so learning to take a little harmless joking builds character.

Dude, at not even erotic can material we're talking about here. The very idea that anyone would like that pairing more than Kara and Mon-El was treated as patently absurd, and Benoist called Jordan brave for standing up to it, and then Wood made a dumbass statement about how people treat sexuality as being about "other people's perception of you", as if Kara, Lena, and Mon-El were somehow real people and not fictional characters. Katie McGrath even saw this and all but told her colleagues to stop.

So I think that they're terrible people who deserve to never act again and that the show needs to crash and burn? No. But yes, it was stupid and disrespectful.

The other stuff about fanfiction and shipping and whether that hurts anybody got attached as the conversation went on because obviously these people must all do this so hell let's condemn that too. So I defended it. But in the end, it's not even about a ship, it's how they chose to discuss it. This isn't even about a hobby for some people, it's sometimes LGBT fans who like to imagine the star of the show (as opposed to someone who's a sidekickinf) they like having an experience of feelings similar to theirs.

Which wasn't "good natured ribbing". It was moronic. They don't have to make the pairing canon, they just shouldn't make people think the actors and staff think they're stupid just for having the idea in their heads.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 27, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dude, at not even erotic can material we're talking about here. The very idea that anyone would like that pairing more than Kara and Mon-El was treated as patently absurd, and Benoist called Jordan brave for standing up to it, and then Wood made a dumbass statement about how people treat sexuality as being about "other people's perception of you", as if Kara, Lena, and Mon-El were somehow real people and not fictional characters. Katie McGrath even saw this and all but told her colleagues to stop.

So I think that they're terrible people who deserve to never act again and that the show needs to crash and burn? No. But yes, it was stupid and disrespectful.

The other stuff about fanfiction and shipping and whether that hurts anybody got attached as the conversation went on because obviously these people must all do this so hell let's condemn that too. So I defended it. But in the end, it's not even about a ship, it's how they chose to discuss it.

Which wasn't "good natured ribbing". It was moronic.

If they aren't immersed in Internet culture like the fine connoisseurs at Something Awful, they'd have no idea how serious this shipping thing can get. I don't blame them for responding the way they did. If some random person walked up to you and said they ship you with President Donald Trump and that their Tumblr has 500,000 followers, you'd probably think that was weird and discourage it. These guys apparently don't realize how the Internet works which is weird considering their age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think you mean well Aleph, but your point is kind of undermined by using the most absurd example possible and one that involves REAL PEOPLE and not fictional characters.

I also kind of doubt than an actor on Glee doesn't understand what "shipping" is. And it wasn't someone walking up to them. Jordan started singing it on his own during the panel's recap of season 2. Are you telling me Winn's actor has extensive interaction with people who are invested in the lives of two characters that have nothing to do with his beyond being his friends?come on.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 27, 2017