Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
people talking about FF9 made me download a iso for it. its been a long time since i played the best FF game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Most of my fond memories of FF involve me being really sick & for FF9 it was strep throat while watching Big Lebowski in the background. Godly feeling

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I never played ff9 because I figured nothing will ever top FF6. So a few weeks ago I decided to finally try it and I'm up to disc 3. So far I like it a lot but I feel like it doesn't hold a candle to FF6. Could also be because I am 20 years older and maybe games don't have the same magic, I'm not sure.

The one thing driving me nuts is how high the enemy encounter rate is and the length of battles. I'm at the level I'm supposed to be at but I still need to use magic spells and poo poo on regular overworld enemies. I don't remember using spells on regular enemies in FFVI ever. It makes going through the map a total slog.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
is 6 the only ff youve played before

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

is 6 the only ff youve played before

No I also played and beat FF4 which I thought was decent but I barely remember any of it. I got halfway through FF7 but gave up. That was when it first came out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just ride your chocobo so you don't have to fight random battles on the world map.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just ride your chocobo so you don't have to fight random battles on the world map.

No joke I'm near the end of disc 3 and I haven't come across a chocobo yet

I found some little forest that looks like itsy is supposed to have chocobo in it (a guy even says there should be some at the back of the forest) but there's nothing there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

No joke I'm near the end of disc 3 and I haven't come across a chocobo yet

I found some little forest that looks like itsy is supposed to have chocobo in it (a guy even says there should be some at the back of the forest) but there's nothing there.
:psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lol where the hell is it? And how did I miss it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

:cawg: the little moogle tells you in that conversation to go outside of the forest and use the gysahl green that he gives you on the chocobo tracks. the entire conversation was meant to be a tutorial on how to use chocobos

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chocobo hot and cold is the real game in ff9. The rest is just filler to get you to the other chocobo areas

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

I.N.R.I posted:

:cawg: the little moogle tells you in that conversation to go outside of the forest and use the gysahl green that he gives you on the chocobo tracks. the entire conversation was meant to be a tutorial on how to use chocobos

yeah I tried to use the gyshal greens outside the little chocobo forest and even inside it and every time I tried to use them I got the "error" sound like if you tried to use a phoenix down on someone who is alive in the status menu

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I heard a rumor that you can find chocobos near chocobo tracks.

*presses A*

But that can't be right, can it?

*presses A*

I heard a rumor that you can find chocobos near chocobo tracks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe ff13 was right to have so many tutorials...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zidane leaving Chocobo's Forest and trying to use the gysahl greens to find a chocobo after being told about chocobos, then going "huh, guess they're just a myth" while Freya and Vivi ride around on a chocobo behind him, trying to get his attention.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Who knew the hardest part of Chocobo Hot and Cold was finding a Chocobo at all

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol the issue is I never saw chocobo tracks anywhere

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lol the issue is I never saw chocobo tracks anywhere
That Sesame Street sketch where a stupid dinosaur tries to get over a boulder while kids yell "go AROUND" but it's me screaming at this post.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

That Sesame Street sketch where a stupid dinosaur tries to get over a boulder while kids yell "go AROUND" but it's me screaming at this post.

lmao these are them?? They're half the size of loving Zidane making them 3 feet long [a tyrannosaurus rex's foot is 3.3' in length, for comparison] and I'm supposed to know a bird did that and it's not some random terrain cracking?

loving thing sucks! It so sucks it fucks!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're shaped like bird feet and I feel like you're fundamentally misunderstanding overworld map scale.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The ffix over world music is the best and when my daughter was a little baby it used to instantly put her to sleep

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How does Terra even get into Figaro Castle? She's like 400 feet tall!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

The ffix over world music is the best and when my daughter was a little baby it used to instantly put her to sleep
The Mist Continent music? I played this all the time in Threatrhythm.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

How does Terra even get into Figaro Castle? She's like 400 feet tall!

It's different when it's 2-d! 3-d there is no excuse! Why not done? (Many such cases!)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Calling my uncle at Nintendo for help finding these chocobos and he just complains that Square abandoned the n64

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Lmao

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

lmao these are them?? They're half the size of loving Zidane making them 3 feet long [a tyrannosaurus rex's foot is 3.3' in length, for comparison] and I'm supposed to know a bird did that and it's not some random terrain cracking?

you know because the moogle literally says use it on the chocobo tracks right outside of this forest, kupo, when he gives the mother loving item to you

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i can accept someone liking ff6 more than ff9 ... thats a perfectly reasonable opinion ...! but not like this ...!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Calling my uncle at Nintendo for help finding these chocobos and he just complains that Square abandoned the n64

I.N.R.I posted:

i can accept someone liking ff6 more than ff9 ... thats a perfectly reasonable opinion ...! but not like this ...!!!

Lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you're loving retarded bro.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yah

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

FFIX is so drat good. i’m having a lovely time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do you know how big a t-Rex's foot is. You ever seen one?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

https://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/2016/03/how-big-were-t-rexs-feet/

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Steam version of IX has the fast forward button right? I think the battle load times would kill me on PSX.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Yes, at the American Museum of Natural History

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

P-Mack posted:

Steam version of IX has the fast forward button right? I think the battle load times would kill me on PSX.

Yes each and every battle feels like it's 15 minutes long. It's pretty bad. Great game though

I.N.R.I posted:

you know because the moogle literally says use it on the chocobo tracks right outside of this forest, kupo, when he gives the mother loving item to you

Yes this is where I tried to use the geshtal greens:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

would a retard own 3 Virtual Boys??

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 15, 2018