Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Historical question: why did Microsoft bother building Office for the Mac in all these years where the Mac was close to gone? On one hand, I guess a sale is a sale, but on the other hand, 1. the margins must have been much worse than on Windows, 2. the Office division was making life harder for the OS division.

MS actually helped Apple during the lean years and developed not only Office and IE (at the time simply the best Web Browser for Mac), but also with a cash investment of $150MM when Apple was weeks from bankruptcy. It allowed Apple to get back on their feet.

It was less altruistic than it sounds. MS main strategy was this was something they could point to in their defense since they were in the midst of all that anti-trust stuff at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cingulate posted:

Historical question: why did Microsoft bother building Office for the Mac in all these years where the Mac was close to gone? On one hand, I guess a sale is a sale, but on the other hand, 1. the margins must have been much worse than on Windows, 2. the Office division was making life harder for the OS division.

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs got needed cash — in return for non-voting shares — and an assurance that Microsoft would support Office for the Mac for five years. Apple agreed to drop a long-running lawsuit in which they alleged Microsoft copied the look and feel of the Mac OS for Windows and to make Internet Explorer the default browser on its computers

$150 million is peanuts these days when you can get that much for an app that sends people pictures of your butt.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it's not that I expected anything but a very cynical story.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to "secure" wipe a SSD on the MacBooks for resale (data and slack)? I know there's a difference between how SSD's hold data, so it's different than a HDD.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Cingulate posted:

long term strategic best option might not necessarily seem like the smart short term decision.. Quite a few years back there was a story about why MS turned a blind eye towards pirated copies of windows. like imagine all of china, or entire schools, companies and governments running on pirated windows and microsoft just not giving a poo poo. apparently it was because they figured in many places if you just clamped down on pirated copies they wouldnt have the money to shell out a week or two worth of the average wage just to go legit and would instead go linux, in which case you'd have generations of people coming into contact with windows all around their daily lives and windows would never be as ubiquitous as it now.

same concept applies to office. if office wasn't ubiquitous, schools and companies could not force their staff, employees or customers to submit documents in .doc and .ppt.

another reason is that the divisions in microsoft are basically run like separate companies and their tournament style promotion system made divisional cooperation and communication a zero sum game. if the chief of the windows told the chief of the office division 'hey maybe you should stop supporting office on mac so that mac stops being a viable competitor to windows' (and he probably did) the office chief would tell him to go gently caress himself. why sacrifice the revenues of your division for someone else's?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best way to "secure" wipe a SSD on the MacBooks for resale (data and slack)? I know there's a difference between how SSD's hold data, so it's different than a HDD.

It looks like for SSDs it's a bit of a pain in the rear end.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/securely-erase-ssd-without-destroying/

My go to is to use whole disk encryption on my drives. When I want to sell (or more likely hand down to family) I boot into recovery mode and use disk utility to erase the drive and re-partition and install the OS with either a different encryption key or just without encryption. Even if they could pull previous data, it's a random mess without the correct key.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think you can just boot from a Linux UEFI LiveUSB, use hdparm to set a password, then send a Secure Erase command:

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

I think you can just boot from a Linux UEFI LiveUSB, use hdparm to set a password, then send a Secure Erase command:

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

I'm not sure that would work 100% since I thought SSDs have blocks that fall outside of a normal drive inode map, but are handled by the drive themselves as part of wear leveling and presented via an abstraction layer to the hardware drivers.

There's an older Ars Technica article from a few years ago, that mentions even "secure" wipes have failed to fully remove data from SSDs due to wear leveling and non-mapped blocks.

It's the one I got the idea to use drive encryption.

Found it: http://arstechnica.com/security/2011/03/ask-ars-how-can-i-safely-erase-the-data-from-my-ssd-drive/

quote:

The overwriting procedure that works so well for HDDs doesn't work as well for SSDs for a couple of reasons. One is that many SSDs have extra storage space that's not accessible by users. This is called over-provisioning, and some deletion tools won't give you access to this area (if you can go through the BIOS and uninstall your drive, you can get full access). While the research paper noted above that overwriting did obscure all of the data in some of the SSDs they tested, some still had old readable data on them after twenty overwrites. This can happen because of firmware bugs, and unless you're able to physically confirm that this procedure works on your SSD of choice, it's not reliable enough for a real secure erase.

quote:

The most popular option for protecting data, absent of robust secure erasing tools that scrub right down into the over-provisioned cracks, is to encrypt the SSD's contents. This way, if someone's coming after your data, the only thing you need to make sure is off the drive is the security key (128- or 256-bit AES is recommended) and your bits will be safe, unless whoever wants your data is up to cracking that code.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 17, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does that mean that FileVault encrypts the entirety of your drive (including slack), or does it only encrypt data that's marked as "un use" by the OS?

I've heard you can encrypt your drive and then delete the partition and write over it with a new installation of OS X, which leaves your previous data on the drive, but not usable. Would that also encrypt the slack space?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One thing about Safari is that the latest update caused a lot of sites (including Trello and Twitch) to display blank empty pages if uBlock is enabled. As active development has largely stopped, someone is communicating with the uBlock Origin coder (who doesn't have a Mac) about making a Safari version of that, but we're in "guy who has Apple Developer account but no knowledge of code talks to guy with code but no knowledge of Apple" phase.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does that mean that FileVault encrypts the entirety of your drive (including slack), or does it only encrypt data that's marked as "un use" by the OS?

I've heard you can encrypt your drive and then delete the partition and write over it with a new installation of OS X, which leaves your previous data on the drive, but not usable. Would that also encrypt the slack space?

FlieVault will only encrypt the "virtual" CoreStorage partition that lives inside a "regular" GPT partition. You can have another GPT partition with Windows / Linux on it that FileVault would not affect.

EDIT: This is how BootCamp works with FileVault

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Craptacular! posted:

One thing about Safari is that the latest update caused a lot of sites (including Trello and Twitch) to display blank empty pages if uBlock is enabled. As active development has largely stopped, someone is communicating with the uBlock Origin coder (who doesn't have a Mac) about making a Safari version of that, but we're in "guy who has Apple Developer account but no knowledge of code talks to guy with code but no knowledge of Apple" phase.

It's not a "real" fix, but you could try appending /hls to the end of a twitch stream. I've been using both for months just fine, but about six months ago I had a problem with their beta HTML5 player and the /hls worked to fix it

EG, http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc/hls

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Looks like there's a fix now...

quote:

This is a minor Safari-only release that fixes a bug introduced in 0.9.5.1, which was causing many sites (examples include Twitch and BaseCamp) to break.
The update is being seeded via auto-update to those who don't have it disabled — otherwise, you can download the latest version from https://www.ublock.org/
Enjoy!
— Chris

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So Apple accidentally released the Public Beta 5 before the Dev Beta (they've since pulled it) but there's apparently an option to disable the mouse getting super huge if you shake it now, which is apparently a feature and not a bug.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer parts posted:

So Apple accidentally released the Public Beta 5 before the Dev Beta (they've since pulled it) but there's apparently an option to disable the mouse getting super huge if you shake it now, which is apparently a feature and not a bug.

It was demonstrated at the keynote, so yeah it's a feature.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A very useful feature when using multiple monitors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has Office 365 (Outlook) stopped working in Safari for anyone else? I can be in private browsing mode logging into an account on a domain I've never logged into before and it will just sit there telling me it's loading and will be done soon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks Ants posted:

Has Office 365 (Outlook) stopped working in Safari for anyone else? I can be in private browsing mode logging into an account on a domain I've never logged into before and it will just sit there telling me it's loading and will be done soon.

Works fine for me. Tried the usual stuff (clearing cache etc.)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I was able to log into my personal account, and then I logged out and back in using my business account no problem. I did it just now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've done everything short of creating a new profile. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to still download the Office 2016 mac preview at this point? They extended it's expiration until the end of October, but I don't see a way to download it now. I want to put it on my wife's machine, because once the standalone download is released I expect she can buy it for cheap through her institution. At the moment the office for mac page directs you to buy the 365 subscription.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

empty baggie posted:

A very useful feature when using multiple monitors.

I was wondering about that, I thought it was just an accessibility option that was enabled by default or something.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Why is Google Photos creating a backup folder on my hard drive of every single photo in the cloud? It's taking up a ton of space on my hard drive and I'm pretty sure that defeats the purpose of saving photos in the loving cloud.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

I'm not sure that would work 100% since I thought SSDs have blocks that fall outside of a normal drive inode map, but are handled by the drive themselves as part of wear leveling and presented via an abstraction layer to the hardware drivers.

The ATA Secure Erase command is literally specified to address this problem and irretrievably delete everything, including over provisioned space that isn't visible as LBAs. There are probably some crappy SSDs that don't do the right thing but the big names (Intel, Samsung, most/all Sandforce controller drives) should be fine.

Sandforce is notable in that their controller always encrypts data. If you don't set an ATA password it stores the encryption key in the clear, so the drive isn't secure, but if you issue a secure erase command it simply destroys the key. I've secure erased some drives recently, Samsungs are taking around 20 sec but Sandforce is instant because of that quirk of their design.

(And before anyone asks, yes 20 seconds is a reasonable amount of time for a full erase of a whole drive. NAND flash erase operations are slow to complete but erase a huge amount of data in parallel; the effective bandwidth is way more than normal.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ManPortable posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to still download the Office 2016 mac preview at this point? They extended it's expiration until the end of October, but I don't see a way to download it now. I want to put it on my wife's machine, because once the standalone download is released I expect she can buy it for cheap through her institution. At the moment the office for mac page directs you to buy the 365 subscription.

Can you even buy it separate? I thought it was a 365 thing only.

e: Oh, apparently they're releasing a separate version in September.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 19, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

The ATA Secure Erase command is literally specified to address this problem and irretrievably delete everything, including over provisioned space that isn't visible as LBAs. There are probably some crappy SSDs that don't do the right thing but the big names (Intel, Samsung, most/all Sandforce controller drives) should be fine.

Sandforce is notable in that their controller always encrypts data. If you don't set an ATA password it stores the encryption key in the clear, so the drive isn't secure, but if you issue a secure erase command it simply destroys the key. I've secure erased some drives recently, Samsungs are taking around 20 sec but Sandforce is instant because of that quirk of their design.

(And before anyone asks, yes 20 seconds is a reasonable amount of time for a full erase of a whole drive. NAND flash erase operations are slow to complete but erase a huge amount of data in parallel; the effective bandwidth is way more than normal.)

That's actually a pretty neat solution to the problem. Personally, I use FileVault2 these days on every OS X partition I create. My main drive in my MBP, the external I use for TM, and the new Samsung T1 I use for all my VMs.

Speaking of, I really like my T1 HOWEVER, when you first attach it all you see is a 132MB partition. They more or less *force* you to load their kexts and the "helper" app. This unlocks the entire drive and allows you to set a password for the drive. My problem is you don't have any other option. Fortunately, the kexts are easily removed and the orphaned "helper" app as well. I've seen now issues so far and the thing is wicked fast over USB3 (for what I use it for). There's some speculation out there that removing the kexts might make it so the fast caching feature of the T1 might not operate, but honestly I'd rather just partition the thing myelf (it defaults to exfat) and not have 3rd party kexts floating around on my computer.

FAKE EDIT: Looks like the drive is not UASP, so no trim using Trim Enabler. Just hope it's baked into the controller chipset.

EDIT2: Looks like no TRIM support on the T1 according to Anandtech. Oh well, if I find it slowing down appreciably, I'll just copy my vmdks off and re-parition the drive.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 19, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you went to school at any point and still have your email account (as many people do), Office 365 is ... freeeeee! If your uni bought into MS's stuff, that is.

Unfortunately they won't give me copies of Windows and Visual Studio anymore now that I haven't been enrolled for a while, but Office gives zero fucks.

The new Office is pretty cool, guys, you should get it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
do you also get the free unlimited storage in
OneDrive?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kapalama posted:

do you also get the free unlimited storage in
OneDrive?

Haven't
tested
that
I use
Dropbox
and S3

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Seriously though, you get 'OneDrive for Business' which is something like 1TB I think, but when I log into it I can't actually find any kind of usage meter, so I have no idea what my storage limit is. But seriously, I don't use it, but yeah, it's there. If your school pays for Office, you can get all this poo poo even as an alumni. Yay Microsoft (didn't think you'd hear that in an Apple thread eh)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Any of the Office subscriptions

come with

at least 1 TB in storage.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So did one of my users download the first legit copy of malware for mac that I've seen? Had a program called 'leperdvil' trying to take over their default search engine in Mac OS X. Googling only resulted in some vague references to a Mac Informer uninstaller. I found some shady dmg's with install packages in the root volumes folder and another copy of the dmg in the Application Support folder.

Any idea what it was?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

McDeth posted:

So did one of my users download the first legit copy of malware for mac that I've seen? Had a program called 'leperdvil' trying to take over their default search engine in Mac OS X. Googling only resulted in some vague references to a Mac Informer uninstaller. I found some shady dmg's with install packages in the root volumes folder and another copy of the dmg in the Application Support folder.

Any idea what it was?

Just delete it from launching on boot and hit your user in the face with a closed fist.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
AdwareMedic should take care of it from what I can tell from a quick search.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Adware Medic was recently bought out by Malwarebytes, so it's now called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

It's ublock. I had the same problem and disabled it and now it works.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

It's ublock. I had the same problem and disabled it and now it works.

The new update should have fixed it. I have block enabled and it works for me. But I did have to go into Preferences>Extensions and click on the Update at the bottom of the left column when I updated it yesterday.

I don't usually use the Web Interface for Office, so I only checked when Thanky asked here. But that was after I updated it because it broke Amazon for me.

The latest version is 0.9.5.2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

I've done everything short of creating a new profile. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

New profile worked, so I cleared anything relating to the account out of my Keychain and it started behaving again. Weird.

Edit: From looking at the above it may also have coincided with uBlock auto-updating. No idea why I didn't try disabling that first. Brain fart moment.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 19, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Are there any apps or guides out there that support encrypting the bootcamp partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/